TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Saw the play on Sportscenter. There isn't a chance in hell of that being overturned. That is Conine being a veteran to perfection and he was 100% correct. Might suck for the Phillies, but that was definitely stuck under the fence and a ground rule double.

That is not a rule for that park though. They were explaining it on the telecast. The ground rule doubles are set for each park (i.e., if a ball gets lost in the ivy at Wrigley and the OFer throws his hands up it is a ground rule double). Since the rule is not a ground rule double for that park, they can't just arbitrarily say that it is a ground rule double.

Not like I'm a big defender of the guy, but how is it Bowa's fault that his big guns couldn't come through in the clutch, his closer blew it tonight and his defense opened the door for a Florida comeback? You can blame the guy all you'd like, but the manager only has so much control. He's not up there taking swings. He's not out there fielding. He's not out there pitching. Granted his attitude may affect his team, but you can only blame the guy so much before you're forced to shoulder some of the responsibility for your shortcomings.

That is not a rule for that park though. They were explaining it on the telecast. The ground rule doubles are set for each park (i.e., if a ball gets lost in the ivy at Wrigley and the OFer throws his hands up it is a ground rule double). Since the rule is not a ground rule double for that park, they can't just arbitrarily say that it is a ground rule double.

Right, those are park specific rules. I think the announcers got it wrong. The rules of the game at every level I've played (up until high school and club college; fyi for Al Keiper, I hit a 3 run HR out of Lackawanna County Stadium in district playoffs of highschool) are that if the ball is stuck under the fence it's an automatic ground rule double.

Here's why: say Conine tried to get it out and the ball is stuck. Even a split second of struggle could lead to an extra base. That's the reason why that's the rule. I don't think the "park rules" matter in this situation.

Pads blowing out the Giants 8-0... and they still won't pitch to Bonds.

Their job is to win the game not help a guy break records.

ESPN UDPATE ESPN UPDATE ESPN UPDATE

Bonds hasn't homered but we'll keep you updated and show you every single pointless at bat!!!!

Oh the Giants are getting their asses handed to them and have the stench of a 90 loss team. But we're ESPN, who cares who wins these games?

Oh and booooooo Jake Peavy struck him out, how dare they call Barry out on strikes! (Exagerration of what John Kruk just said on Baseball Tonight)

The ball wasn't stuck. It got jammed. It was in plain sight. A two year old could've gotten the ball out.

On another note, along with the Fire Bowa campaign, I propose a Free Chase Utley campaign. If David Bell can't field a ground ball properly, he has no use on a major league ballclub.

Speaking of teams stinking, this series against the Mariners is driving me nuts. A's offense hasn't been pathetic tonight, not great, but good enough to win. Spot Tim Hudson a 4-0 lead in the 7th and figure it's all over. Then 73-year old Dave Hansen hits a three-run homer (after the Mariners had one run in) to tie the game.

DAMNIT THEY CAN'T LOSE FOUR STRAIGHT TO THE FIGHTING BAVASI'S!!!!!!!!

*shakes fist in anger*

Speaking of teams stinking, this series against the Mariners is driving me nuts. A's offense hasn't been pathetic tonight, not great, but good enough to win. Spot Tim Hudson a 4-0 lead in the 7th and figure it's all over. Then 73-year old Dave Hansen hits a three-run homer (after the Mariners had one run in) to tie the game.

DAMNIT THEY CAN'T LOSE FOUR STRAIGHT TO THE FIGHTING BAVASI'S!!!!!!!!

*shakes fist in anger*

The M's better win....

::Shakes fist in even greater anger~!::

Jermaine Dye saves the day with a two run double in the 9th and makes a nice catch in the bottom of the inning to end the game.

Al it could be worse. You could have the Reds bullpen, who would blow every lead that your team would get for the rest of the year. By the way how about taking Graves, Jones, Norton and Reith. They would all look good in Phillies uniforms.

Apologies if this was discussed earlier.

What does everyone think of A-Rod bunting with a runner on 2nd? Keep in mind A-Rod was bunting for a hit, not sacrificing.

John Kruk the same person who asked if A-Rod would bunt to set up an easy RBI spot for Giambi, asked why the third hitter was bunting. Harold Reynolds said it was a great idea since A-Rod was struggling at the plate.

Personally. I agree with Reynolds. A-Rod just needed a spark, and sometimes something like a bunt hit will do the trick. Reynolds also mentioned bunting forces a player to pay closer atttention to the ball and get a better idea of what their doing wrong at the plate.

The ball wasn't stuck. It got jammed. It was in plain sight. A two year old could've gotten the ball out.

Furthermore, Pierre had a situation earlier in the game where the ball got under the padding, and he pulled it out & play continued. Granted, it didn't get "stuck" as much as Polanco's hit, it still got lodged under the padding.

As it should have been. Fuck Brett Myers. That's bushleague. He threw it RIGHT at his head. Now, Todd Pratt is ejected and for good reason.

Here's what you missed.

Mike Redmond hits a homerun in the top of the 2nd. VERY NEXT PITCH, Brett Myers threw right at Gonzalez's head. Pratt turns around to give and gets a little aggressive with Gonzalez so Gonzalez slaps the glove away. Then Prett pushes Gonzalez and Alex went in for the fight and put up his dukes. Both dugouts cleared and someone tackled someone else.

Now Pratt AND Gonzalez are booted.

Pads blowing out the Giants 8-0... and they still won't pitch to Bonds.

Their job is to win the game not help a guy break records.

ESPN UDPATE ESPN UPDATE ESPN UPDATE

Bonds hasn't homered but we'll keep you updated and show you every single pointless at bat!!!!

Oh the Giants are getting their asses handed to them and have the stench of a 90 loss team. But we're ESPN, who cares who wins these games?

Oh and booooooo Jake Peavy struck him out, how dare they call Barry out on strikes! (Exagerration of what John Kruk just said on Baseball Tonight)

I see, it's all Bonds' fault this is happening. Damn him for being great.

Keep in mind, my post wasn't a complaint, just an observation. My real complaint is none of the other 8 guys on the field doing anything with the bat. Does it make you feel better that I (a Giant fan) acknowledge it or do you need Stuart Scott to tell you the Giants stink?

"The media is favoring the biggest star in _______."

Shocking.

With all the complaints about ESPN you'd think people would avoid it.

Guest FrigidSoul

Personally I don't want Stuart Scott trying to tell me anything. He's an idiot

Jermaine Dye saves the day with a two run double in the 9th and makes a nice catch in the bottom of the inning to end the game.

thus continues his 14 game hitting streak~! :headbang:

From Rob Neyer

What do you do with a player who's super-hot like Calvin Pickering or Barry Bonds? If it's Calvin Pickering, you hope he's not really this good and you keep trying to get him out. But if it's Barry Bonds, you know he's really this good, so you don't really bother trying to get him out, especially if first base is open.

What do you do if you're Barry Bonds' manager? It's been suggested that Felipe Alou should shift Bonds from No. 4 in the lineup to No. 3, but how much difference will that actually make? After all, it's not like Mickey Mantle will be hitting behind Bonds. No, this situation calls for something truly radical: Barry Bonds, Leadoff Man.

Way back in the 1940s, Branch Rickey floated this notion, saying, "It's unreasonable to deprive the finest hitter of an extra chance to bat in a game." And one of Rickey's students, Bobby Bragan, later managed the Braves and occasionally used Hank Aaron in the leadoff slot. In addition to the advantage noted by Rickey and later Bragan, it's not likely that a manager would order Bonds intentionally walked to lead off the game.

No, it probably wouldn't make much difference in the standings. But we just had Jackie Robinson Day; how about a tip of the cap to Branch Rickey, too?

I think he'd still get walked.