TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justsoyouknow

Poll: Best version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"?

Who did the best version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door", and why?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who did the best version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door", and why?

• Eric Clapton
    • Bob Dylan
    • Guns N Roses
    • U2
    • Avril Lavigne
    • Other (please specify)

Don't pick Avril.

Personally, I like the Dylan version (off of his Unplugged CD) the best, as the Clapton version seems too upbeat. I also enjoy how Dylan managed to make the song much longer by adding the usual Dylan element: the harmonica solo. He also adds a verse to it, making the song much different than Clapton's version and he has a sense of urgency in his voice throughout the entire song, as opposed to Clapton, who, as usual, sounds like he's just phoning it in. I hate the Guns N Roses version, as Axl's "Knock knock knocking on heaven's dough-a-oh hey hey hey hey yeah!" just gets on my nerves after awhile, Avril should never have attempted to sing this song, and U2 is U2.

In the Unplugged version, he changes the second verse to "Wipe this blood off my face/Just can't see through it anymore", for those that are curious. Also, Axl's outburst at the conclusion of the GNR version just ruins the whole song for me.

While I love his "UnPlugged" version, I still love Dylan's original version best. Every time I hear it, I'm moved. The way he sings Mama take this badge off of me/I can't use it anymore just hits hard every time.

Guest Flyboy

Other.

Some acoustic version some chick did at my high school talent show this year... it was fucking great.

I'm a huge U2 fan, but man, can they do some awful cover versions. "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" is one of them, but "Helter Skelter" has got to be the worst.

"Charles Manson stole this from the Beatles...and now we're stealing it back!" It's not like he went platinum with it, guys.

How interesting, last night I was getting in a debate with someone I know about this very same topic and was thinking of posting a similar thing, because she said that everybody loves the Guns N Roses version. I personally can't stand it, because of the aforementioned "Hey Hey Heyheyhey" (I always thought he said Bang, as in that's the sound of the knocking). It is also devoid of the emotion Dylan brought to it. I personally think it is GNR's worst song.

I voted Dylan, obviously.

"YOU JUST BETTER START SNIFFIN' YOUR OWN

RANK SUBJUGATION JACK 'CAUSE IT'S JUST

YOU AGAINST YOUR TATTERED LIBIDO, THE BANK

AND THE MORTICIAN, FOREVER MAN AND IT

WOULDN'T BE LUCK IF YOU COULD GET OUT OF

LIFE ALIVE"

There's the aforementioned "Axl outburst".

I think it's quite clear that he had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

I love the Dylan version, and as usual, the original is the best. I really hate the GnR version, but then again I hate their "Live and Let Die" and most of their own songs too.

Guest slacklet
"YOU JUST BETTER START SNIFFIN' YOUR OWN

RANK SUBJUGATION JACK 'CAUSE IT'S JUST

YOU AGAINST YOUR TATTERED LIBIDO, THE BANK

AND THE MORTICIAN, FOREVER MAN AND IT

WOULDN'T BE LUCK IF YOU COULD GET OUT OF

LIFE ALIVE"

There's the aforementioned "Axl outburst".

I think it's quite clear that he had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

That was Josh Richman talking, not Axl.

It says so in the UYI liner notes.

Guest Coffey

I voted for Avril because you said not too and I thought it would be funny. After voting I found out that four people before had either thought of the same thing or voted seriously, which I find scary and it took away all the humor that I hoped to obtain with my vote (which I admit was acute to begin with).

That being said, I like Guns N' Roses version a lot, the same with Eric Clapton. However, you can't go against Bob Dylan. I've never heard U2's version (or Avril's for that matter). It's just a great song, so it comes off well even when people redo it.

I voted for Avril because you said not too and I thought it would be funny. After voting I found out that four people before had either thought of the same thing or voted seriously, which I find scary and it took away all the humor that I hoped to obtain with my vote (which I admit was acute to begin with).

Yeah, sorry dude, I started that lame trend.

Now I know who to blame for ruining my poll.

Anyways, Clapton tries to sound too much like reggae in his version, GNR tries to make it too "rock", with Axl's trademarked "I'm going to sing this once high-pitched, then sing it once really deep, then layer the two tracks together" shtick abused to death, Avril is fucking Avril, and, like it has been said, U2 shouldn't be allowed to do covers. Ever.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

A screwdriver to the genitals for everyone who picked the GnR version. If they've never heard the original, I guess they can avoid the shanking, but get smacked for voting when they haven't heard Dylan's version.

Guest MissMattitude

Bob Dylan's version all the way. Clapton's is good and I don't hate Guns n Roses version either. Avril needs her vocal chords ripping out though.

You put Avril on the list over Warren Zevon...?

THE MAN WAS DYING OF FRIGGIN' CANCER WHEN HE COVERED IT!

Yeah, I voted for Clapton, but Zevon's is up there, maybe even the best.

A screwdriver to the genitals for everyone who picked the GnR version.

Uh, yeah. What he said, times two.

I didn't even know Avril Lavigne covered this song. I'm not dying to hear it or anything (she already has done enough damage to my psyche through her own songs, or through her "cover" of "Chop Suey"). It's just interesting.