TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
edotherocket

Bill Cosby lays the smack down

I pretty much agree with Ripper points.

Also, when it comes to slang, I don't really see anything wrong with anyone's slang, to me it has more to do with being able to hit an on/ff switch with your slang. Friends/family etc......slang is perfectly acceptable. I mean I do a LOT of casual cussing when I am talking to my friends, but somewhere along the line of being raised, it was engrained in me how to turn on and off slang when it matters the most. No way will I go into a job interview and speak the way I do with my friends.

Lets see:

Cosby thinks ALL inner-city kids are thugs who can't speak and are either going to sing-sing or a wood box. This isn't true, there are two kinds of people in the inner city. One is a group that tries to make their life better by hard work and education. And those that do not give a fuck and want the easy way out. People, people, lets not label all blacks on this level.

Talking black is just a fucking retarded thing to say. Urban-minority slang in Cali is an offical language dubbed ebonics. MTV had a whole show on the different speeches of people in areas of this country. Not every black person says "blood", "Dawg", or "(word)-izzle". Not everyone who is black speaks the same as they do in Cali. And let me guess, a person is speaking black saying "yo, this bitch is thick. Trick is pro like Rio. Felt like skeeting all over her ass". So speaking white is this: "I can't believe how good this girl looked. She did have a lot of sex with a lot of men as if she was some prono star. I felt like lusting after her and finishing on to her very good looking body". That is a joke. There isn't a race way of talking.

Now for slang and the on and off stwich. Everyone has it, not everyone uses it. Just because some moron doesn't turn theirs off, doesn't mean the whole race is that way....aw fuck it.

This could turn into another one of those "Race threads and labeling white posters racist again". Lets NOT go there.

Now for slang and the on and off stwich. Everyone has it, not everyone uses it. Just because some moron doesn't turn theirs off, doesn't mean the whole race is that way....aw fuck it.

yeah I didn't mean to imply that a race of people didn't know about the switch. I just meant individuals.

Guest MikeSC
Lets see:

Cosby thinks ALL inner-city kids are thugs who can't speak and are either going to sing-sing or a wood box. This isn't true, there are two kinds of people in the inner city. One is a group that tries to make their life better by hard work and education. And those that do not give a fuck and want the easy way out. People, people, lets not label all blacks on this level.

And you're creating a straw man.

Cosby never said ALL inner-city blacks. Not once. He was specifically referring to the second group you mentioned and that A LOT of the black leadership seems to hold them up as victims of racism, rather than as bloody idiots who bring their problems upon themselves.

Talking black is just a fucking retarded thing to say. Urban-minority slang in Cali is an offical language dubbed ebonics.

Which STILL doesn't prove anything. So CA is full of enough PC dolts who will try to defend hideous grammar as being a foreign language. Kudos to them.

In the REAL world --- where this coddling will prove to be HORRIBLY unbeneficial to the young blacks subjected to this racist philosophy --- they will realize that such crap won't take them far in life.

MTV had a whole show on the different speeches of people in areas of this country. Not every black person says "blood", "Dawg", or "(word)-izzle".

Using MTV as a source is synonymous with not having a source.

Not everyone who is black speaks the same as they do in Cali. And let me guess, a person is speaking  black saying "yo, this bitch is thick. Trick is pro like Rio. Felt like skeeting all over her ass". So speaking white is this: "I can't believe how good this girl looked. She did have a lot of sex with a lot of men as if she was some prono star. I felt like lusting after her and finishing on to her very good looking body". That is a joke. There isn't a race way of talking.

And you're arguing that anybody claims that ALL blacks talk like that when nobody makes that claim.

You're arguing a point nobody is making.

This could turn into another one of those "Race threads and labeling white posters racist again". Lets NOT go there.

Go back and re-read Cosby's statements. Your INTERPRETATION of them is far different than the ACTUAL SUBSTANCE of them.

-=Mike

In the REAL world --- where this coddling will prove to be HORRIBLY unbeneficial to the young blacks subjected to this racist philosophy --- they will realize that such crap won't take them far in life.

How is the ghetto not the "real world" to these children though? It isn't like they are making the drive to Orange County or Santa Barbara to have a job interview.

Guest MikeSC

How is the ghetto not the "real world" to these children though? It isn't like they are making the drive to Orange County or Santa Barbara to have a job interview.

To children, Disney World is "real".

That's why they're children. To a child, they are the universe.

If their PARENTS are too lazy/stupid/whatever to show them what they actually SHOULD strive to achieve --- then that is nobody's fault but the parents and the kids. It's not racism.

-=Mike

Guest cobainwasmurdered
How is DD an idiot? He didn't say anything offensive...

oh. I just don't like him.

Oddly enough, Charles Barkley and Michael Wilbon just agreed with Cosby today on PTI.

I'm still thinking he went a little bit too far.

Guest El Satanico

Barkley...wow, what a ringing endorsement.

That's like having Terry Bradshaw agree with you.

Oddly enough, Charles Barkley and Michael Wilbon just agreed with Cosby today on PTI.

I'm still thinking he went a little bit too far.

At my law school today (which has a rather sizable African-American population), it was about a 50-50 split.

Most of the young males (whom, presumably, Cosby's remarks were directed towards) disagreed with Bill, most everyone else agreed with his remarks.

Guest MikeSC

*BUMP*

Well, Cobsy is DEFINITELY not going back on his comments:

CHICAGO - Bill Cosby (news) went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere."

He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them. He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling `n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson (news - web sites), founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=...nts_4&printer=1

God willing, this finally might lead to a turning of the corner for the black community.

-=Mike

Cosby for president of the NAACP. I'm serious. Talk about not holding back. It's like having a losing sports team, sometimes you need a coach who will give you a kick in the ass and not sugarcoat what's wrong with the team and motivate them to improve and start winning.

I'm actually shocked Jesse Jackson backed him up...

Guest Hero to all Children

Ebonics is an official language in California now? Jesus. The state of my ancestors works hard to piss me off.

It's not a god forsaken language. It's a dialect. Like southerner huckleberry talk, Yorkshire, Bavarian (of German, in this case) and what the hell not.

It is not a language. It should not be protected, it should not ever become an alternative to actual and real English in high-school.

I agree with Bill Cosby. If you only have the right to go to schools, if you only theoretically have the same chances as person X or race X because of great sacrafices by your ancestors and you choose the life of a gangster. The live fast, die young and hard because you deal crack for some really phat gear, then you deserve a good beating by everyone who got beate up soley for their skin-tone, for every pioneer black college student that was antagonized for actually seeking education.

If you're actually trying hard to get into college, over-coming the odds of shittier public schools in your district, gang violence and the social stigmata of being raised with a rather distinctive accent; more power to you. Seriously.

And if you have to enlist for this .. so be it. That's the reason so many people in West Virginia sign up for service. It pays college and is a pretty good experience too.

Apply yourself, do your fucking damndest. Don't smoke crack, don't just hotbox with a pound of joints and piss your day away.

In the end you have no one to blame but yourself for your actions. Absolutely no one, this is your life and your life only. No one else can make your decisions so if you wake up, are 35 years old, working at Mc Donalds and inable to write down a coherrent sentence in English then YOU fucked up. Not the man, you did.

So what can you do? Learn. For Christ's sake, learn. Go to the library, somehow organize a really cheap computer with dialup. Use your free time learning as much as you can, reading the dictionary. Go to evening school and get your degree.

You may not be able to become a doctor but you can get something better than fucking minimum wage flipping burgers.

By the way, regarding shooting criminals in the back who're running out of the store with some minor item they haven't paid for. I'm all for it.

If the officer yells stop and you don't stop, fuck you. If the store owner yells "Hey! Hey you!" and gets the shotgun, fuck you.

If you decided to commit a crime for something as minor as a six pack, fucking Christ fuck you.

You never have anyone to blame but yourself.

Bill Cosby is a grumpy old man, eventhough I do agree with some of what he is saying, but he's coming off as a elitist and throwing generalizations around.

I still don't approve of his wording in May. Saying it was justifiable for someone to be shot and killed for stealing a handful of poundcake was pretty awful.

However, I take back my criticism of him personally since he expanded his views. It sounds like he was simply being more controversial as he was caught in the heat of the moment.

Guest MikeSC
Bill Cosby is a grumpy old man, eventhough I do agree with some of what he is saying, but he's coming off as a elitist and throwing generalizations around.

What's elitist in pointing out that you can't get a good job with horrible speaking skills?

-=Mike

As far as attributing poor speech to inner city poor blacks, I'd have to say that in my life, I have heard just as much slang and crappy grammar coming from whites, hispanics, blacks etc......no one single race takes the cake over another. And I live in a pretty good part of town, probably considered right smack in the middle of the middle class.

Guest MikeSC
As far as attributing poor speech to inner city poor blacks, I'd have to say that in my life, I have heard just as much slang and crappy grammar coming from whites, hispanics, blacks etc......no one single race takes the cake over another. And I live in a pretty good part of town, probably considered right smack in the middle of the middle class.

Seeing as how Cosby was worried about the black youth, mentioning others with the same problem seemed ridiculous --- especially since the civil rights groups go on and on about how young blacks can't get good jobs.

-=Mike

As far as attributing poor speech to inner city poor blacks, I'd have to say that in my life, I have heard just as much slang and crappy grammar coming from whites, hispanics, blacks etc......no one single race takes the cake over another.  And I live in a pretty good part of town, probably considered right smack in the middle of the middle class.

Seeing as how Cosby was worried about the black youth, mentioning others with the same problem seemed ridiculous --- especially since the civil rights groups go on and on about how young blacks can't get good jobs.

-=Mike

I understand that, but the discussion in this thread has kind of morphed from what Cosby thinks into our thoughts, so I was just giving my experience.

Three points I'd like to make:

(1) Ebonics is not a language. It is, however, a dialect. Almost every language in the world has its own various dialects, depending on ethnic group or region.

(2) Blaming African-Americans for their problems is like blaming a lab rat for being stuck in a maze. Sure, there's a chance he could find his way out, but he didn't exactly put himself in there, now did he?

(3) Too many kids today (black, white, whatever) want to be rich and famous just for the sake of being rich and famous. If you have a talent and love doing something you can make money at, more power to you. If you're doing something purely because you think its easier and more financially rewarding than getting a "real job", then you're probably going to miss a lot of opportunites in life.

Three points I'd like to make:

(1) Ebonics is not a language. It is, however, a dialect. Almost every language in the world has its own various dialects, depending on ethnic group or region.

(2) Blaming African-Americans for their problems is like blaming a lab rat for being stuck in a maze. Sure, there's a chance he could find his way out, but he didn't exactly put himself in there, now did he?

(3) Too many kids today (black, white, whatever) want to be rich and famous just for the sake of being rich and famous. If you have a talent and love doing something you can make money at, more power to you. If you're doing something purely because you think its easier and more financially rewarding than getting a "real job", then you're probably going to miss a lot of opportunites in life.

well I also would say the media is doing it's damndest to sell the "get rich quick" lifestyles of many youngsters, whether it is millionaire heiresses, or kids that become stars and get rich as kids, or teenage athletes. The media is glossing this left and right, and pretty much ignoring hard work and goals etc.. Then at the same time they don't mention that your shot at going that route is more then one in ten million..........not that this is any kind of excuse whatsoever

^Exactly.^

In my profession (I teach at a mostly black high school), I find it especially difficult to talk to kids when they look down on me because of the amount of money they think I make. Since we're talking about kids with working-class parents, I can only imagine how little respect the moms and dads must get.

Maybe Cosby can become an official spokesperson of white people. That way we can have this debate and not be called RACISTS...

You n*gga hating Jew you.

Ok, if they didn't put themselves there, who did? The Man?

(2) Blaming African-Americans for their problems is like blaming a lab rat for being stuck in a maze.  Sure, there's a chance he could find his way out, but he didn't exactly put himself in there, now did he?

Ok, if they didn't put themselves there, who did? The Man?

Yes. And White people in general.

God, haven't you been paying attention? The White Man is the devil!

wait...I'm white.

Damn, I'm the devil.

Welp, time to go conquer heaven and hold down a few minorities along the way.

What's elitist in pointing out that you can't get a good job with horrible speaking skills?

-=Mike

I can get a job without a problem, I know how to conduct myself when I go to an interview. I never beat up on women while I was unemployed like Coz says. The Man set up "institutional racism" by having projects and poor schools in the community. Yes, I know some blame should be on poor blacks/latinos that are not trying better themselves. Thats how I see it.