TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyboy

ESPN NFL 2K5 Thread

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Anything specific I need to see the highlights ?

I saw a commercial for the game on ESPN this morning (Go figure) and they showed a quick flash of Berman doing Sportscenter. Yes, it looks very bad ass.

Can't wait to see it in action.

Guest COMMISSIONERHBK9

I am having a season league on the x-box for this game and I woulld like you to join. The name of the league is ECW. This is my frist so I would like people to come and join.

I'm going to get it for PS2 (Don't have an X-Box right now) So break it down for me, what's on that X-Box version that I can't get for PS2 ? Just Berman doing Sportscenter ? It sounded like a cool addition to the game, but I won't be pissed if I can't do it.

For one, you can't use custon stadium music (I don't think you can rip tracks onto the PS2 HDD). You can use the music the game provides, but it isn't much to write home about (although you can buy more soundtracks in the Crib, which I haven't yet), and if you don't have a HDD, you'll only see stills of the plays in the halftime and postgame shows, instead of full motion clips.

I do agree that seeing plays from the other games on SC is pretty badass.

I just finished my first tie ever in video football history, 10-10 against Miami. I'm getting the hang of the controls, and I've found that if you let the CPU drop back for you, your passes seem to be more accurate (but that may be just me).

I'm most likely going to do a pretty comprehensive review next week, but I don't play online, so either I omit it, or I could add someone else's thoughts into it. So if you want, PM me a paragraph or two talking about the online experience (lag, ease of setting up, online leagues), and you'll get full credit.

Guest TheArchiteck
This.

Basically, what you do is install the software, hook up the dock into an USB port, put the memory card into the dock (either an offical one or the one provided -- the one provided sucks), run the AR software, download your file (rosters or what have you, it's usually a zip file), drag and drop that zip file into the AR software where your memory card is... wait until it fills orange and you're good to go.

Dope,

I'll have to check it out.

I can use that get the Ninja Gaiden updates also.

Guest Flyboy
Anything specific I need to see the highlights ?

Xbox for video footage, PS2 for still screens.

Guest Flyboy
This.

Basically, what you do is install the software, hook up the dock into an USB port, put the memory card into the dock (either an offical one or the one provided -- the one provided sucks), run the AR software, download your file (rosters or what have you, it's usually a zip file), drag and drop that zip file into the AR software where your memory card is... wait until it fills orange and you're good to go.

How bad is the memory card provided? And how much would it cost to get a good one?

The reviews and the general consensus is that it's horrible and can't transfer big files from the card to the Xbox (it corrupts them), but surprisingly mine is doing great and I have yet to have a problem with it. A new Microsoft Xbox card is $29.99 or something like that which is the same price of the Action Replay.

So, what are we supposed to do if we can't afford to buy the Action Replay card? Is there a site that gives stats so we can manually update teams?

I know that sounds horrifying, but I'd like to know.

So, what are we supposed to do if we can't afford to buy the Action Replay card? Is there a site that gives stats so we can manually update teams?

I know that sounds horrifying, but I'd like to know.

Eventually...that being the keyword. I'm sure there will be an update of that type at gamefaqs. But that probaly won't be for a while..

Eh, I'll add George to the Cowboys and just run that as my Franchise until Training Camp is over. Then I'll restart with a proper roster.

I'm going to get it for PS2 (Don't have an X-Box right now) So break it down for me, what's on that X-Box version that I can't get for PS2 ? Just Berman doing Sportscenter ? It sounded like a cool addition to the game, but I won't be pissed if I can't do it.

For one, you can't use custon stadium music (I don't think you can rip tracks onto the PS2 HDD). You can use the music the game provides, but it isn't much to write home about (although you can buy more soundtracks in the Crib, which I haven't yet), and if you don't have a HDD, you'll only see stills of the plays in the halftime and postgame shows, instead of full motion clips.

From what I have read, they have some installable software coming out for the PS2 HDD that WILL allow you to rip music to it...and ESPN 2K5 is already set up for when it does come out.

Guest Flyboy
I'm confused. Do you need the Action Replay card in order to see the video of the Sportscenter review at the end of the week on XBox?

No.

I've been having trouble with this glitch where everytime there's a challenge I end up getting called for delay of game after. I just had one where they challenged whether I crossed the plane of the endzone and they ruled against me and instead of 3rd and goal from the goal line I got 3rd and goal from the 6.

Eh, I'll add George to the Cowboys and just run that as my Franchise until Training Camp is over. Then I'll restart with a proper roster.

ESPN allows you to download current rosters. Last year when the season rosters where set you could download the current roster of all teams.

You don't need the replay card. That is part of the benefit of XBOX LIVE.

I'm at week 7, so I can look at the draft prospects now. It is great how these guys have faces to put with the stats. I guess you get Mel Keiper Jr.'s first draftee report on the Week 7 SC.

The biggest problem I have with this game is the kick meter. They desperately need to scrap it next year and just take Madden's. It just makes kicks way too hard to aim.

I have a season running with Arizona and my only complaint is the rookie wide outs in the game all seem to suffer from stone hands. Fitz can't catch a cold and he is causing interceptions with his inability to catch a damn football.

I'm learning the controls quite quickly and I like a game where a better team can beat the life out of me if I make mistakes. I don't like that the line doesn't seem to pick up a blitz well at all but that might be more to do with the Cards line just plain sucking.

Also, I thought there was an option where you could work the life out of one of your players? Am I just not finding that or was it removed from the game? Cause Fitz needs some god damn practice with his hands before I trade his ass.

Guest Flyboy
The biggest problem I have with this game is the kick meter. They desperately need to scrap it next year and just take Madden's. It just makes kicks way too hard to aim.

I love the kick meter... because this year NCAA's kick meter (which is just like Madden's) took a step back to me it seems. The only problem I have with ESPN's kick meter is that I seem to pull a shitload of kicks.

Guest Flyboy
I have a season running with Arizona and my only complaint is the rookie wide outs in the game all seem to suffer from stone hands. Fitz can't catch a cold and he is causing interceptions with his inability to catch a damn football.

Not a problem for me -- I'm running a season with the Lions and Roy Williams is doing great for me. He'll drop some (about 3 or 4 a game), but he always comes up big for me for the most part.

Also, I thought there was an option where you could work the life out of one of your players? Am I just not finding that or was it removed from the game? Cause Fitz needs some god damn practice with his hands before I trade his ass.

You need to turn on Weekly Prep. before you begin your Franchise. And, I have a feeling if you trade Fitz, you're going to end up regretting it.

You need to turn on Weekly Prep. before you begin your Franchise. And, I have a feeling if you trade Fitz, you're going to end up regretting it.

I was going to go after Roy Williams or someone equally young but, I'm sure you are right. I think it's more frustration that Fitz is leading the NFL in drops with 12 in 2 games, which makes me want to kill him.

The learning curve isn't bad at all and the AI is rather difficult so I am enjoying this game. I just have to get used to hitting R1 to go for picks and O when switching players. Madden has really slowed me down.

One question, what is this charge up for a move stuff?

It's just a way to have a better chance at success. You charge up while running and you'll have a better chance at stiff-arming a defender or running through him. Charge up while on the line and you can break through the O-line quicker to get to the QB.

For those of you who used my regiment, just a word of caution.

For Thursday and Friday, you can't seriously have that much Full Scrimage drills and crap with full pads. Reason being is you'll get quite a few of your guys injuried.

I'm currently trying to think of some way to adjust it so that it still keeps the focus at acceptable levels while not degrading morale. Except that I can't find anything.

For Thursday and Friday, you can't seriously have that much Full Scrimage drills and crap with full pads. Reason being is you'll get quite a few of your guys injuried.

I'm currently trying to think of some way to adjust it so that it still keeps the focus at acceptable levels while not degrading morale. Except that I can't find anything.

I have been using Friday as a light scrimmage followed by film room and so far it's working extremely well. We ended up sacking Vick 6 times and picking him off three times, two for touchdown.

I use heavy scrimmage on Wednesday and most of the rest of the time I use 7-on-7 2 a days to prepare my guys. Morale is at an amazing high, preparation is great and so far so good.

Course Fitz actually made some catches this week so he's alive for now. Although he screws up again he is headed to ballet and third WR slot behind Johnson.

Guest Vitamin X

The only thing I found wrong with your regimen was that it included absolutely NO weight training whatsoever. I would do all the position drills and such more often if I didn't have all the weight training.

Pretty much I break up my team into 3 groups..offensive skill positions (QB, HB, FB, WR, TE) and kicker, defensive skill positions (OLD, ILB, CB, SS, FS) and punter, and the HOGS~ (C, G, T, DT, DE) and have them do a different thing everyday. For example, Offense gets weights one day, while Hogs study film, and defense gets the day off, and it rotates. I'm doing damn well in my game too with it, but their stats can fluctuate wildly depending on what area you want to focus on the most. If I'm playing the Rams for example, I focus a lot of pass defense and running offense and so run defense will suffer slightly and pass offense will suffer greatly as a result.

I wish the manual was a hell of a lot more informative though, it doesn't clue you in a bit more on the salary cap (I had an odd thing happen where I was trading more expensive players for cheaper ones or draft picks to avoid getting hit with the salary cap penalty, and my payroll was STILL going up) and I thought I had missed something. Also, does anyone know if gametime or performance throughout the season will affect a player's stats similar to Madden, or is it strictly a Weekly Preparation thing now to improve players' stats?

Guest FrigidSoul

KingPK convinced me to pick this up, and for $20 it wasn't a difficult sell. I'll give my thoughts on it later.

Well I got the game. It's tremendous, but the Celebrity Phone thing is real cheesy. And I wish I could block some calls like from Steve-O.

As for the Franchise mode, I wish I read this before.... as I indeed did trade Fitz the first time around. My only problem is that I'm tossing interceptions more than I toss completions but I guess I gotta learn.

Oh for the Weekly Prep, I did position drills for everyone, then film, then 7 vs 7, then umm more position drills and gave them the day off on Friday. They proceed to drop in stats (EVERYONE)... needless to say I deleted the Franchise and started a new one... without the Preparation feature.

As for the Franchise mode, I wish I read this before.... as I indeed did trade Fitz the first time around. My only problem is that I'm tossing interceptions more than I toss completions but I guess I gotta learn.

Fitz has finally started to get better for me. He just needed to work on his hands and calm the hell down apparently. He's now leading my team in grabs and hasn't dropped a pass in three games, including making four leaping catches he had no business even making they were so far off target.

I am enjoy this game 100 times more than Madden and starting to get a hold on it. The only problem I see is the running game is very lackluster. Everything else so far is awesome including defenders picking off balls that are thrown right at them, something I hated with the Madden "knock it down anyway" system of defense.

Can't wait to see how offseason is in this game.

Guest TheArchiteck

Yeah, thats something I've haven't read yet in the reviews; the offseason.

If someone who had 2k4 explain the offseason differences, that would be cool.

I'm still playing 2k4 till my shipment arrives and i'm in a salary cap mess. All my young players who I signed to a 5 year deal and all pretty much gained tremendously in stats are looking for WAAAAAY too much cash. I have Joey Harrington at 91 rating and Charles Rogers at 93. Those two are sucking up big dollars but they are top notch so i'm not cutting them. I also have the highest rated CBs in the league and most of them want more cash. My team is going to suffer majorly during the offseason.

Guest Flyboy

I made a very interesting trade in my Lions' Franchise... I sent Joey Harrington and a 2nd round pick to the Giants for Eli Manning and their starting FS or SS (the name slips my mind at the moment). I'm sitting 9-0.. I've played about 5 of the games and simmed four due to starting to play and then having to leave for work so I just hurry and sim. The game I just had agains the the Redskins was brutal.. Eli threw for 550+ yards -- Charles Rogers had 4 TDs & Roy Williams had 1 TD with over 300 yds. receiving. I play on All-Pro w/ 8 minute quarters.