TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
edotherocket

Michael Moore Hates America

I'm not calling him a traitor but I think he's openly rooted against the U.S. on several occasions, including that very blog piece.

And...?

Guest Salacious Crumb

That shows he hates America. For him to get his wish thousands and thousands of U.S. soliders would have to die not to mention all the Americans that would die once the terrorists have beaten us in one part of the world.

For the love of Christ, could we stop this?

Every single time someone says the words "Michael Moore", this argument starts up. It's an old argument, featuring the same people. Can we please just move the fuck on?

This film looks entertaining. It won't be earth-shattering and destroy Moore's reputation, but it'll just clarify everything we already know about Moore. You'd think you guys would be excited that someone is making a movie that you agree with, but instead it's more fun to bitch.

Guest slacklet

Penn brings up a good point - Moore edits the absolute shit out of stuff to make people look bad.

For instance, this article points out inaccuracies in the Fahrenheit 9/11 trailer:

Source: TwinCities

Rep. Kennedy no fan of Michael Moore film ad

Rep. Mark Kennedy, a Republican, is a little annoyed at leftist film maker Michael Moore after an edited version of an interview between the two appeared in the trailer for Moore's upcoming U.S. release of the film "Fahrenheit 9/11."

"I was walking back to my office after casting a vote, and all of a sudden some oversized guy puts a mike in my face and a camera in my face," Kennedy said. "He starts asking if I can help him recruit more people from families of members of Congress to participate in the war on terror."

Kennedy said he told Moore that he has two nephews in the military, one who has just been deployed in the Army National Guard. But to Kennedy's annoyance, his response to Moore was cut from the trailer, which was released Thursday. His response was also cut from the film, according to a spokeswoman for the movie.

"The interesting thing is that they used my image, but not my words," Kennedy said. "It's representative of the fact that Michael Moore doesn't always give the whole story, and he's a master of the misleading."

A spokeswoman for the fiercely anti-Bush film, which has found a U.S. distributor after the Walt Disney Co. refused to release it, said she had no comment.

A transcript released by the film's producers shows Moore telling Kennedy that "there is only one member (of Congress) who has a kid over there in Iraq." He asks Kennedy to help him pass out literature encouraging others "to get their kids to enlist in the Army and go over to Iraq."

Kennedy replies, "I'd be happy to. Especially those who voted for the war. (As Kennedy did.) I have a nephew on his way to Afghanistan."

To which Moore replies: "I appreciate it."

Anne Mason, Kennedy's spokeswoman, said Friday that Kennedy now has one nephew in the military and another one who got out of the Navy since the Moore interview. In addition, Kennedy's cousin's son recently completed his military service.

Here's "Moore" updates. Get it? Moore/More. ROFLMAO. Oh well, looks like the Man is after poor Mikey again...

Source 'n stuff.

The Motion Picture Association Of America (MPAA) has rated the film R, meaning nobody under 17 can see it unless accompanied by an adult.

Moore has attacked the decision, saying that teenagers should be allowed to see the film unaccompanied.

The film is due to open on more than 1,000 US screens on 25 June.

Lions Gate, one of two companies releasing the film in the US, called the decision "totally unjustified".

The MPAA said that the rating was given for "violent and disturbing images and for language".

The film shows graphic footage of corpses of US soldiers being burnt, dragged behind a truck and strung up, and a scene of US soldiers apparently mistreating Iraqi prisoners.

Moore said: "It is sadly very possible that many 15- and 16-year-olds will be asked and recruited to serve in Iraq in the next couple of years.

"If they are old enough to be recruited and capable of being in combat and risking their lives, they certainly deserve the right to see what is going on in Iraq."

IFC Entertainment, which is jointly distributing the film in the US along with Lions Gate, said it was confident the decision would be overturned.

"IFC has great concern with this decision and will do everything within its power to fight this unjust rating judgment," said its president Jonathan Sehring.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the British Board Of Film Classification told BBC News Online the film had yet to be submitted to them for consideration.

It is scheduled to open in the UK in the summer.

EDIT: Well that sucked. No fat jokes, no nothing. And that guy says he can't find Mikey -- just wait outside the local buffet. And I'm shocked -- just shocked -- this guy was on Scarborough's show...

For some reason, the title of "Michael Moore Hates America" doesn't surprise me. Of course he hates America, why else would he criticize the folks in charge?

Irony, right? So sad that I have to ask...

Irony is Michael Moore fans, such as yourself, who will criticize this movie, even though essentially it follows the exact formula that Moore follows for all of his films: Attack a specific group or individual, and then proceed for the next hour-thirty to present as much biased and factually suspect material as one can to portray that individual / group as the ultimate evil.

It's hilarious - it's the best rib (insert Moore food joke here) that could probably be pulled on Moore.

The only difference is, this guy, whomever he is, might be less cavalier with distorting facts than Mikey.

No need, I found the April 4th article. Where, exactly, does he root the terrorists on?

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/index.ph...Date=2004-04-14

They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow -- and they will win. Get it, Mr. Bush? You closed down a friggin' weekly newspaper, you great giver of freedom and democracy! Then all hell broke loose. The paper only had 10,000 readers! Why are you smirking?

Until then, enjoy the "pacification" of Falluja, the "containment" of Sadr City, and the next Tet Offensive – oops, I mean, "terrorist attack by a small group of Baathist loyalists" (Hahaha! I love writing those words, Baathist loyalists, it makes me sound so Peter Jennings!) -- followed by a "news conference" where we will be told that we must "stay the course" because we are "winning the hearts and minds of the people."

Doesn't seem that he's exactly, uh, rooting for the Americans here. Seems more like he's giddy that some of the Iraqis are resisting us. It's not that hard to get that impression, Tyler.

Hey, remember that massive second Tet Offensive? No? Neither did I...

The footage, eerily similar to film of the atrocities at Abu Ghraib prison, shows GIs laughing as they snap photos of each other putting hoods over Iraqi detainees.

GI 1: Hey, Bob, two jews walk into a bar...

Gotta love that claim. I believe we've shown them in hoods before and them simply laughing is, uh, hardly torture. But hey, if he wants to try and take credit for it, good for him...

I see a guy who's pretty much saying "If shit hits the fan, I told you so." I see nothing here that would say he hates America or wants our soldiers to die. I'm not a particularly big fan of his zealotry in pounding his points home, but the degree of exaggeration of his already overblown views is terrible.

I see a guy who's pretty much saying "If shit hits the fan, I told you so." I see nothing here that would say he hates America or wants our soldiers to die. I'm not a particularly big fan of his zealotry in pounding his points home, but the degree of exaggeration of his already overblown views is terrible.

Eh, I guess I see it more as him painting the rebels in a positive light (The reference to minutemen obviously comparing them to our own history and try to make them seem more sympathetic). I see it more as "I want to see the shit hit the fan so I can say 'I told you so'". I don't exactly think he despises America, but I don't find it too far-fetched to think he'd subtly root for the opposition just so he could have more ammo against Bush.

You closed down a friggin' weekly newspaper, you great giver of freedom and democracy!

Mikey must have been distracted by the smell of some Krispy Kremes to explain WHY that newspaper was shut down. That's the only reason I can think of, because when Mikey speaks, it's the truth.

Fat fuck...

Guest Jimmy Saint
For some reason, the title of "Michael Moore Hates America" doesn't surprise me. Of course he hates America, why else would he criticize the folks in charge?

Irony, right? So sad that I have to ask...

Irony is Michael Moore fans, such as yourself, who will criticize this movie, even though essentially it follows the exact formula that Moore follows for all of his films: Attack a specific group or individual, and then proceed for the next hour-thirty to present as much biased and factually suspect material as one can to portray that individual / group as the ultimate evil.

I think the irony is all the Yanks here making fat jokes to attack Moore and defend America.

Half the people making them here are probably fat bastards themselves.

Moore said: "It is sadly very possible that many 15- and 16-year-olds will be asked and recruited to serve in Iraq in the next couple of years.

"If they are old enough to be recruited and capable of being in combat and risking their lives, they certainly deserve the right to see what is going on in Iraq."

Since when has there been talk of recruiting kids that young to serve in the military? It's the first that I've heard of it. And maybe WHEN that happens people would be willing to let them see his unbiased documentary. But to say that they should be able to see it NOW just because something MIGHT happen in a couple of years is a joke.

And, Jimmy Saint, a lot of us are making fat jokes about Moore because he's fat, not to 'defend America' per-se. And I'm actually in reasonably good shape, certainly better than average, am I allowed to make fat jokes, or am I too fat of a bastard to do so?

I would assume that Mikey is talking about the recent bills that were introduced that, if passed, would reinstitute the draft in a fashion (if wouldn't reinstate it in the way that many liberals are having a knee-jerk reaction to the legislation believe that it will, but it would institute it). Of course, that legislation has less of a chance of passing than does, say, a statute that proclaims me the King of Mars, passed by a unanimous vote of BOTH houses of Congress. Moore knows this.

I see it more as "I want to see the shit hit the fan so I can say 'I told you so'". I don't exactly think he despises America, but I don't find it too far-fetched to think he'd subtly root for the opposition just so he could have more ammo against Bush.

I think this hits the nail on the head. While I wouldn’t say that Moore actively hates America, he’s wretched enough of a human being to take at least a modest amount of satisfaction in the pain and suffering of fellow Americans just so that he can be proven “correct” (although I would proffer that it’s entirely subjective that Moore is “correct” on anything). While I don’t think he has or would actively cheer for, say, American troops to die in Iraq, he certainly will use such a thing as ammunition in his rather sad little war on Bush & conservatives. His fans would, I suppose, claim that he does this only because he really cares for the soldiers, etc. I think Moore has, alas, crossed the line a long time ago where he is not above using any petty or deplorable or insensitive tactic he can, without regard of the consequences, just so long as he can use it to wound those he has a political axe to grind against. And that makes him all the more reprehensible in my eyes, because he ceases to distinguish himself from the very things which he claims to hate.

Since when has there been talk of recruiting kids that young to serve in the military? It's the first that I've heard of it. And maybe WHEN that happens people would be willing to let them see his unbiased documentary. But to say that they should be able to see it NOW just because something MIGHT happen in a couple of years is a joke.

And, Jimmy Saint, a lot of us are making fat jokes about Moore because he's fat, not to 'defend America' per-se. And I'm actually in reasonably good shape, certainly better than average, am I allowed to make fat jokes, or am I too fat of a bastard to do so?

I have heard several discussions limited to a few talk radio shows that have thrown the idea around of how people might react to a draft being implemented should the soldiers have to stay for a long period of time overseas. I guess the lure of the GI Bill doesn't pack em in like it used to. The discussions weren't any big deal as in "BUsh and co. were thinking about starting a new draft". Just theory.

Yeah, I've heard rumblings that a prolonged war could mean the re-introduction of a draft. But what I haven't heard is kids as young as 15-16 would be eligible for the draft. There are more than enough 18-25 year olds that could be drafted before the lowering the age would need to be considered.

I'm tempted to say Mr. Moore is making shit up ... but he wouldn't do something like that, would he?!?

*sigh*

What Moore means is that these 15-16 year olds will be 18+ in a couple years, so when his movie comes out THIS year they should be able to see it.

Moore wants the 15-16 year olds because they're the most impressionable in terms of becoming typical so-called concerned and globally-conscious liberals. I've seen it happen to 'em all. Except the 5% of my class that was right-wing like myself.

Well it is probably safe to say that Michael Moore operates in much of the same fashion as guys like Sean Hannity & Rush Limbaugh do, by editing, and presenting one bias side to an argument. The difference is, Moore makes movies and Hannity/Rush use radio/tv as their means to spread their message.

So I am not sure what everyone is up and arms about really, I mean it is not like Michael Moore invented this practice of showing a biased view, and I don't know ANYONE, that is swearing allegience to Michael Moore and the ground he walks on. Moreso, I just know people that are interested in seeing the movie and that IS IT.

But, it is kind of silly to bash Michael Moore as a "revisionist" or knock him for editing and being biased when I am sure a lot of you listen to Rush do the same thing every damn day on his radio show.

So in otherwords I guess what my drunk-self is trying to say is. As long as everyone lumps all these guys in as entertainers and not Factual Historians/Newsmen, then we can find a common ground, but the second you try to say "MY GUY IS RIGHT, YOURS IS An AMERICA HATING COMMIE"(or vice versa ala NAZI SCUM) then it shows how clueless and bias you as the listener/viewer really are.

EDIT: whoa I just realized this was the movie forum and not the CE forum......my bad. I probably shouldn't have ranted like that, but I am it there cause I had to type that out drunk. If it gets the folder moved to CE then so be it I suppose....

*sigh*

What Moore means is that these 15-16 year olds will be 18+ in a couple years, so when his movie comes out THIS year they should be able to see it.

And the 12,13,14 year olds will be draft-eligible after that ... let's let them in the theatre, too.

Your explanation is appreciated, because it really does make more sense than the way that I'd interpreted what he said ... but it's still a ludicrous statement. If these kids want to see the movie, they can see it in 2-3 years.

Michael Moore is an old, gay, fat, and stupid loser. Did I miss anything?

Can't wait to see the film.

Well it is probably safe to say that Michael Moore operates in much of the same fashion as guys like Sean Hannity & Rush Limbaugh do, by editing, and presenting one bias side to an argument. The difference is, Moore makes movies and Hannity/Rush use radio/tv as their means to spread their message.

So I am not sure what everyone is up and arms about really, I mean it is not like Michael Moore invented this practice of showing a biased view, and I don't know ANYONE, that is swearing allegience to Michael Moore and the ground he walks on. Moreso, I just know people that are interested in seeing the movie and that IS IT.

But, it is kind of silly to bash Michael Moore as a "revisionist" or knock him for editing and being biased when I am sure a lot of you listen to Rush do the same thing every damn day on his radio show.

1. I don't recall anyone on these boards that watches/listens and takes Hannity and Limbaugh seriously. If there was, we'd be making fun of them.

2. You don't think there are Moore loyalists who hold him up as some sort of cultural hero? They do exist. Hell, there's one poster around here who turned his entire banner into an ad for F9/11.

3. No, I don't listen Rush's show and I don't know of too many on here that do.

There's also differences between "biased views" and flat-out lies. One stretches the truth, the other snaps it. Probably Rush and Hannity flat out lie all the time, but unless you watch FAUX NEWS LOL! or listen to his radio show, you can avoid them entirely.

You don't have to be stupid to be completely wrong or a pompous lying jerk. It helps, though.

Gore Vidal is intelligent but I'm not going to buy into his political ideals and theories, either.

Holy shit I hope that's sarcasm.

Can't wait to see the film.

Yes, because homophobia will get you everywhere you want to go.

1. I don't recall anyone on these boards that watches/listens and takes Hannity and Limbaugh seriously. If there was, we'd be making fun of them.

Hell, I've seen posters quote Ann Coulter with a straight face.

Sad thing is you type better when drunk...

Well then today is a great day for fellow smart mark posters, because it is Friday, I get off from work in about an hour, I have no class tonight, and my fridge is plenty stocked with beer........

*starts thinking up something profound*

:cheers:

Guest MikeSC
1.  I don't recall anyone on these boards that watches/listens and takes Hannity and Limbaugh seriously.  If there was, we'd be making fun of them.

I listen to both. Now, if I hear anything interesting, I will try and find SOMEBODY to corroborate it before I mention it elsewhere.

2.  You don't think there are Moore loyalists who hold him up as some sort of cultural hero?  They do exist.  Hell, there's one poster around here who turned his entire banner into an ad for F9/11.

Again, the man received a FIFTEEN MINUTE STANDING OVATION AT CANNES. That's SERIOUSLY fucked up.

3.  No, I don't listen Rush's show and I don't know of too many on here that do.

There's also differences between "biased views" and flat-out lies.  One stretches the truth, the other snaps it.  Probably Rush and Hannity flat out lie all the time, but unless you watch FAUX NEWS LOL! or listen to his radio show, you can avoid them entirely.

Actually, Rush and Hannity aren't that bad --- about as intellectually honest as the NY Times is nowadays (and isn't THAT a sad commentary for that paper?). It's Liddy and Savage that have a habit of making shit up.

-=Mike

Yes, because homophobia will get you everywhere you want to go.

I was just stating the obvious. His obsession with Bush is downright disturbing.