TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

Guest Vitamin X

Am I the only one who's still coming around to the idea of accepting the flash-forwards? I really feel like a lot of the show is being built now on cheap surprises through them (OMGZ! Sayid is working for Ben! OMGZ! Kate has Claire's baby!) rather than making the story more interesting on the island. Is it just that the island doesn't have anything as interesting, or that no one has anything left to explore through flashbacks? The concept still feels really cheap and kinda forced, like if I was reading a good book and kept skipping ahead to the end, then wondering how it gets from point A to point B. That's not fun at all, and it makes watching the show in the long-term a little bit more frustrating since you know how things are going to end up. There's no longer a sense of wondering who's going to make it out of the island alive or not, and it kills the suspense of a lot of the scenes on the island as a result. For example, now that we know Ben makes it out alive, the tension in his scenes as a prisoner is pretty much null and void since he's obviously perfectly fine in the future, and off the island. I could care less about anyone torturing him to get information out of him or anything, because there's no threat that any of the islanders are going to kill him, or Jack, Kate, Sayid, etc..

Does anyone else feel this way? What do you guys think about the flash-forwards thus far?

I agree with Rudo. I never lost interest in the show, but the flash forward reveal in the S3 finale blew me away and all 4 episodes thus far in S4 have been nothing short of incredible.

I do, however, hope that they start including flashbacks mixed in with the flash forwards (while not making it clear which is which til the end of the episode, like last season's finale) as I read they were going to do.

The 2 that died in the crash were the pilots.

Who knows how long they were on the island. If time is slower on the island, then there could be a huge gap.

They didn't say 2 died in the crash. The pilots are not the ones. Jack claimed everyone died in the crash except for 8. 8 people, in his story, survived the crash, but only 6 apparently were rescued as far as it pertains to what the public and press know. That's what I got out of it, anyway. Either the other 2 died on the island or they were Michael and Walt.

Also, Mik- That was a fantastic interview.

EDIT: So does anyone agree with me about that being Nadia who was one of the 12 on Kate's jury?

The 2 that died in the crash were the pilots.

Who knows how long they were on the island. If time is slower on the island, then there could be a huge gap.

They didn't say 2 died in the crash. The pilots are not the ones. Jack claimed everyone died in the crash except for 8. 8 people, in his story, survived the crash, but only 6 apparently were rescued as far as it pertains to what the public and press know. That's what I got out of it, anyway. Either the other 2 died on the island or they were Michael and Walt.

Also, Mik- That was a fantastic interview.

EDIT: So does anyone agree with me about that being Nadia who was one of the 12 on Kate's jury?

I could have swore Jack said something, and i'm paraphrasing here, such as "she tried to save two of them but they just didn't make it" after explaining there were eight survivors. The question I have is that why would Jack even say there were eight to begin with UNLESS that is part of the story they have to tell in order to sound believable to the outside world.

I just saw the episode.

This season is so good its ridiculous. While a part of me is still mad they never really reached the potential of the "on island" stories before the whole rescue and Others stuff, this new stuff really gives the story a mythic sort of quality. I can't wait for the day when they have to return to the island. Dude, WTF are they gonna find?

I wonder if Claire died, or if Claire is still there on the island? Is Aaron one of the "oceanic 6"? he might not count since he wasn't born yet? hard to say. I'm guessing no since the one in the coffin was supposedly one of the 6 (otherwise their death wouldnt make the paper).

Jack, kate, sayid, hurley, coffin person (who kate is mad at), and Aaron? or someone else?

bTW my new theory on the coffin person is Sayid, and the reason why kate is angry at him (from the end of last season) is that at some point they find out he's working for Ben.

No, the coffin person can not be one of the 6 because someone would have shown for that. The media would have been there. It was someone from the island that was not one of the 6.

If anyone didn't read the interview I posted - they said we will find out who is in the coffin by the end of the season so don't worry that we'll be waiting to find out for years.

I agree, it's someone not in the 6. I guess Michael.

Which woman is suposed to be nadia? in the jury?

I have the episode downloaded. When jack is on the stand, they show the woman closest to him, she sort of looks like Nadia but it's definately not Nadia. or is there someone else who's supposed to be her?

I don't see any problem with the flashfowards, it's not a means of giving stuff away at all other than to raise more questions about whats gonna happen next.

And I think it's obvious that the other 2 people jack were talking about have to be pretty major characters, I don't think aaron would be one of the six, and I'm guessing Jack finds out about Claire, then she dies, Kate takes Aaron and now seeing Aaron is hard for Jack because Claire died. Seemed like they were teasing the idea of it being Saywers baby just to give the "Aaron" moment more of a holy shit factor.

And I definitely disagree with not getting enough answers, they've made it clear what's going on, what's happened, it's just the Island itself is the biggest mystery so things like the smoke monster and why its "hard to find" shouldn't be given away til the end. Plus there's enough out there to peice together (like

Magnus Hanso, Alvar Hanso's father being the captain of the Black Rock,

) more of the major plotlines.

This season just keeps picking up steam and after all the talk of condensing 8 episodes into 5 because of the writers strike I have no idea how I'm gonna be able to keep up with this show without doing coke.

Oh and the spoiler isn't really a spoiler, it was just mentioned in the find815 game and not the show so I figured I'd tag it.

So, I guess right now we know of around 10 people that get off the island. The Oceanic 6, Walt, Michael, Ben, and whomever is in the coffin. Of course, those could have crossovers, but at most it appears like ten.*

*this doesn't count Aaron.

Aaron definitely doesn't count as one of the 6, and I doubt Ben does either. As for "if the dead guy was one of the 6 why no media?", that easily could've just been a fuckup on the writers' part, especially since they made it clear that Jack didn't like whoever it was but was still surprised that nobody else was there.

Must read interview, I think.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20179125,00.html

Meh. "Okay, here's one thing that we're going to reveal at some unknown point between now and a few months from now, because we knew that the viewers would be REALLY pissed off if we didn't. But as for the rest, you'll just have to wait!" Typical cocktease bullshit from these guys.

Am I the only one who's still coming around to the idea of accepting the flash-forwards? I really feel like a lot of the show is being built now on cheap surprises through them (OMGZ! Sayid is working for Ben! OMGZ! Kate has Claire's baby!) rather than making the story more interesting on the island.

Yeah, I'm not sold on them either. It does remove a lot of suspense, as it lets you know for sure that certain characters can never die as long as they're still on the island. And it does feel like it's built more on Russo swerves and hints about the future than it is on the established mysteries and characters we already know.

That being said, I do like that they ended the damn flashbacks. Those were by far my least favorite part of the show, and I always just sat impatiently waiting for them to end so they could get on with the real story about the island already. No, I don't care about Reason #281 Why Jin And Sun's Marriage Is Troubled, just get back to the fucking mysteries and stop dragging your feet.

As for "if the dead guy was one of the 6 why no media?", that easily could've just been a fuckup on the writers' part

Yeah, I could explain away every mystery on the island with that remark, but let's look at it seriously.

As for "if the dead guy was one of the 6 why no media?", that easily could've just been a fuckup on the writers' part

Yeah, I could explain away every mystery on the island with that remark, but let's look at it seriously.

It's not like they've never made mistakes. How about all those speeches from Ben and the Others where they preached about how they weren't murderers and never killed anyone? Yet nobody ever brought up how Ethan snuck in from the ocean and somehow beat Scott/Steve to death and broke half the bones in his body without anyone else noticing.

It's not like they've never made mistakes. How about all those speeches from Ben and the Others where they preached about how they weren't murderers and never killed anyone? Yet nobody ever brought up how Ethan snuck in from the ocean and somehow beat Scott/Steve to death and broke half the bones in his body without anyone else noticing.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that Ben and the Others aren't/weren't exactly the most honest of individuals.

RE: Aaron

It may well be that Claire ends up dying, but did anyone else get the feeling that Claire might still be on the island in the future and that Kate took Aaron of her own volition?

More importantly, in "Raised By Another", the psychic told Claire that the baby needed her good influence in its life. He said that if her child was raised by anyone else, terrible things would happen.

More importantly, in "Raised By Another", the psychic told Claire that the baby needed her good influence in its life. He said that if her child was raised by anyone else, terrible things would happen.

Aaron is going to somehow cause the end of the world.

As for Matt Young's point about Nadia being on the jury - I didn't catch it myself. I also think it's not the case because lostpedia would have been all over that but her page there remains without an update.

Sign in to follow this