TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The next month of Jeopardy

I'd warn this is a SPOILER, but based on the emerging coverage, you won't be able to escape this news today:

Ken Jennings has lost. Reportedly, he went down in a show taped Tuesday -- his 75th in a row (by the way: Wednesday, he won his 41st). He had reached the $2.5 million plateau in winnings.

Prediction: His loss (coming in mid-October) will be the most-watched game show of our generation. Six words: Put that episode in prime time.

From ESPN.com's Daily Quickie.

75 in a row, holy fucking shit. And 2.5 million in winnings. This guy is going to be a celebrity for the rest of his life, and I agree with the writer of this article...That show is going to draw monster ratings if enough people know that it's going to happen.

Am I the only person in America who really doesn't care about this nerd? I'm more tired of hearing about him than I'm tired of hearing about the struggles of the Yankees or whatever.

I've been watching the show again from time to time after years of not caring about it, and I agree he's made the show somewhat more interesting. If he can't be beat then let him keep playing, sez I.

Guest fanofcoils

People who know better (that an unconfirmed result by ABC is true) will be less interested by the show since they know the results. If there are enough of these people then ratings will go down until the 75th show Jennings is on.

Guest Staravenger
Anybody see the episode of Monk that had a person cheat on a quiz show?

host:  *nods head*

cheater: B

It was the placement of the hosts fingers on the card that gave away the answer, not a nod.

They had a jeopardy segment on 60 mins last week and they interviewed the former record holder, the sheriff guy. And I believe if you look at his winnings over his time on jeopardy, he was actually winning more money at a faster pace then this guy, but of course back then you were limited to so many days.

Hats off to this guy....it's unlikely that anyone will tie or break his record any time soon, if they can at all.

Guest Staravenger

15 weeks in a row is going to be tough to beat (assuming Jeopardy was on every weekday in all 15) if anyone think they can do it.

Well I won't be watching, and I didn't like the whole "keep playing until you lose/quit."

Imagine if they had that rule with the Press Your Luck guy...

He quit of his own volition.

This is the first I've heard about this, shows how much of a damn I give. I'm confusing Quiz Show and Magnolia, but there was something in a movie this reminds me of.

Press Your Luck guy got kicked off by CBS I think. Then he lost all his money and died.

I think Ken should've retired undefeated at 50, a nice even number, no ugly loss, and if it means fewer clean-cut young men in ties pestering me to look up my family history, yay.

Press Your Luck guy got kicked off by CBS I think. Then he lost all his money and died.

I watched the GSN 2 hour special about it and it was the most boring documentary I've ever seen. It was 60 percent commercials anyways.