Best or worst songs

Best:

"Sing For The Moment" by Eminem using Aerosmith's "Dream On"

"Put That Woman First" by Jaheim using Ludacris's "Growing Pains"

Worst:

That Blu Cantrell & Sean Paul song using Dr. Dre's "What The Difference?"

anything from P. Diddy

What else you guys think?

The best in terms of taking sampling to it's limit is Public Enemy's He Got Game. Just a couple notes, but they worked it right. It put Diddy's shamelessness to shame. Also 2Pac's Changes.

Worst was probably I'll Be Missing You, cause it was lazy, which is worse when you're trying to say something about a dead guy. Also, that thing where kids hear the original song and think they ripped off the sampler, that happens the most with this song, in my experience.

Good:

Can't think of many offhand, but one that sticks out is Ice Cube using "The Message" for "Check YoSelf"

Bad:

Puff "What's an original beat?" Daddy using "The Message" for whatever song he used it for

Really, anything sampled by Puff Daddy, for that matter

Janet "The Boob That Launched 1000 Censors" Jackson using "Ventura Highway" for whatever song she used it for

Jessica "She's not really dumb, she's ACTING~" Simpson using "Jack and Diane" for whatever song she used it for

I think what I'm saying is that these songs were so bad or unmemorable that the only thing that made them stand out was the samples they used

Guest GreatOne

I nominate the 'Channel Zero' song by Public Enemy with the slow riff from Angel Of Death (how the hell THAT happened I don't know) for worst. Then again everybody had their shlongs up in the air over how 'great' 'Bring The Noise' (vers w Anthrax) was--of course the long-term damage that ended up doing to Anthrax would be about a page in itself. Speaking of, 'Thrax's version of 'I'm The Man' with the Beastie Boys really wasn't that great either.

Busta Rhymes' 'This Means War' rap over Ironman on the N.I.B. II album would be up there (for worst), but Ozzy's pathetically bad chorus lyrics actually made it seem like an improvement...................

I nominate the 'Channel Zero' song by Public Enemy with the slow riff from Angel Of Death (how the hell THAT happened I don't know) for worst.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. This is one of the best, actually.

Come on people....

Worst - Vanilla Ice faggin on Bowie/Queen's 'Under Pressure'

Or Vanilla Ice fagging over "Play that Funky Music." Ron Parisi, VALLEY REPRESENT~!

Then there's MC Hammer using "Superfreak" by the almighty Rick James for "U Can't Touch This." And didn't Hammer sample "When Doves Cry" for "Pray?"

I don't know about this I'm kinda of indifferent, but when Pras, Mya and O.D.B. song on the Bullsworth soundtrack sampled Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton's Island in the Stream it was pretty good.

"Takeover" by Jay Z using the Doors "Five To One" beat. Only because it has drunken Morrison in the background with "Gonna win yeah/we're taking over!" and "C'MOOOOOON!"

Clutch use of one of my favorites of all time.

I heard a song today at work that sampled Crazy Train. It was neato.

It's Tricky Daddy and Lil' Jon. "Let's Go." Taking crunk to new levels of ridiculousness, and that's all right with me.

Also, "Sing for the Moment" is not one of the best. It is, in fact, one of the absolute worst.

Echoing Jaxl's sentiments about "Takeover," "I.Z.Z.O. (H.O.V.A.)" makes a wonderfully subtle rip out of "I Want You Back."

Favorites

Evolution Control Committiee taking a song form Herb Alperts "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" album and adding an a cappella version of Chuck D rapping

As Well as taking Public Enemies "Don't Believe The Hype" and mixing it with Cabaret Voltaire "Sensoria"

http://evolution-control.com/sounds/DJ%20P...20Sensorair.mp3

Kmfdm and Public Enemy sampling a riff form Slayers "Angel of Death"

Worst

Anything from Sean "pdiddypuffydaddypoopypoppypop" Combs

I'm surprised nobody has done the High Fidelity top 5 list yet.

1. RUN DMC with Aerosmith doing "Walk this Way" - this is the song that revived the career of the has been straight out of rehab rock band from the 70s. It did wonders for for the music world as it influenced future "muscians" like Kid Rock. White kids everywhere wanted to listen to rap after this.....hell it made the Casey Kasim Top 40 Countdown.

2. MC Hammer using Rick James "Superfreak" - Just when you thought rap was just a fad from NYC out comes the dancing showman from Oaktown MC Hammer. Hammer made nonthreating party music that even your mom would like. Yup, the return of disco pop music if you will.

3. Vanilla Ice using "Play that Funky Music Whiteboy" - You can't discuss Hammer without Vanilla Ice since they were basically the same thing.

4. Public Enemy & Anthrax "Bring the Noice" - the birth of nu-metal, let us thank this song for the future groups like Linkin Park.

5. Puffy his whole career - This is what you get when you combine MC Hammer & Vanilla Ice and give him producer power to abuse.

I don't know about this I'm kinda of indifferent, but when Pras, Mya and O.D.B. song on the Bullsworth soundtrack sampled Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton's Island in the Stream it was pretty good.

That was a Barry Gibb(Bee Gees) beat...Im willing to guess that half of hiphops beats, if not more, have evolved from something by the Bee Gees...

didn't Barry Gibb just wrote the lyrics of the song? or did he produce it aswell

produced and wrote every bit of it...the man is an absolute musical wizard.

Guest GreatOne
1.  RUN DMC with Aerosmith doing "Walk this Way" - this is the song that revived the career of the has been straight out of rehab rock band from the 70s.

Oh you mean the wonderfully average Done With Mirrors didn't do the trick? :D

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. This is one of the best, actually.

Oh I forgot you're a music expert........................

I still wish death upon Puff Daddy for doing what he did to Zeppelin's "Kashmir" for the Godzilla soundtrack.

Although....

Come on people....

Worst - Vanilla Ice faggin on Bowie/Queen's 'Under Pressure'

That is pretty fucking bad.

Good example.

I heard a song today at work that sampled Crazy Train.  It was neato.

It's Tricky Daddy and Lil' Jon. "Let's Go." Taking crunk to new levels of ridiculousness, and that's all right with me.

Twista's on there too. That's seriously my favorite song to come out in a few years and is probably in my top ten overall.

The all-time best use of sampling award goes to the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique. It's just PERFECT, especially on "The Sounds of Science" and "High Plains Drifter."

I hear that. I have many a time listened to an album only to discover that I'd heard this or that part on Paul's Boutique first.