TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Strangest Kayfabe reasons for a heel turn

Ever notice how the littlest thing will cause a heel turn/break up of a tag team/group/manager-wrestler. ect

Forget slow burning a turn, the simplest miscomunication can lead to a full blown heel turn. I mean it makes you wonder. For example, couldn't wrestler A point out on a tape of the show to wrestler B that he clearly meant to hit wrestler C with the chair and C just moved out of the way. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it becomes INSTANT FEUD!

I'm not really counting Russo-esque turns from out of nowhere where you might be able to figure out why something is going on, but things where you know what happened its just for the stupidest reason imaginable

And I'm not counting reasons for feuding like Kane-Jericho's coffee incident or Booker T-Edge feuding over a shampoo commercial as there were no turns involved

Steve

Ever notice how the littlest thing will cause a heel turn/break up of a tag team/group/manager-wrestler. ect

Forget slow burning a turn, the simplest miscomunication can lead to a full blown heel turn. I mean it makes you wonder. For example, couldn't wrestler A point out on a tape of the show to wrestler B that he clearly meant to hit wrestler C with the chair and C just moved out of the way. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it becomes INSTANT FEUD!

Two words: Strike Force.

On that note, ECW joining forces with WCW to form The Alliance. Sure, I'd imagine most of the ECW workers were mad that the WWF had helped put their company out of business, but really: most of the workers on the ECW side of The Alliance had been in the WWF and WCW already (Bubba Ray, D-Von, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome), and the only ones straight from ECW (Tommy Dreamer, Rhyno, Rob Van Dam) were the only ones with a true agenda to attack anybody. Plus...why would they join forces with WCW? ECW Mutants have always respected Vince, since he grew up around the business and had his own vision of what wrestling was supposed to be (as did Heyman, who they worshipped), but WCW was headed by corporate bigwigs with no passion for the sport. It makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to join forces with a company you hate and don't respect to attack a company you don't like but DO respect.

Billy Kidman recent one was pretty thin-skinned.

Are you kidding? Does it always have to be spelled out for everyone?

Even though the announcers haven't picked up on it, the change in Kidman has been a slow burn and makes some sense if you think about it in wrestling terms.

Let's face it, Billy Kidman has never really been much of a fan favorite. He'd get pops here and there, but he was never what I'd call over. Always lacking charisma, he'd never gotten a great singles push, but the SSP was always the move that got him any recognition.

The Shooting Star on Chavo showed Kidman that he could seriously hurt someone with the move. His conscience was really bothering him about it, to the point that he couldn't do the move as he'd rather not injure someone else. Eventually, he was labeled a quitter for this and his partner sure got on his case for it, even slapping him. Kidman turns on London, looking like he's finally snapped.

But at the PPV, Kidman's still hesistant to perform the move...until London does it to him, unsuccessfully. Kidman finally hits the move, nailing London in the ribs to end the match. The move gets a pop and Kidman knows it as he blames the fans for London's injury. They WANTED the SSP...so he gave it to them. He does it again on London, hurting him right in the midsection as he's strapped to a gurney.

He now performs the move because the people want it...that's the only thing that they really care about, so he's giving it to them by hurting others with it.

How's that psycho analysis of Kidman's turn?

Dames

Albert turning on Scotty 2 Hotty out of the blue with the reason being he didn't want to be a dancing hoss anymore, if I'm remembering it correctly.

Guest LooneyTune

It had something to do with Luger saying Hogan can't be trusted, and Sting, the idiot at large, wasn't aware (considering Flair turned on him about 500 times in a span of 4 years, ditto for Luger).

Guest Rrrsh

Even though the announcers haven't picked up on it, the change in Kidman has been a slow burn and makes some sense if you think about it in wrestling terms.

Let's face it, Billy Kidman has never really been much of a fan favorite. He'd get pops here and there, but he was never what I'd call over. Always lacking charisma, he'd never gotten a great singles push, but the SSP was always the move that got him any recognition.

The Shooting Star on Chavo showed Kidman that he could seriously hurt someone with the move. His conscience was really bothering him about it, to the point that he couldn't do the move as he'd rather not injure someone else. Eventually, he was labeled a quitter for this and his partner sure got on his case for it, even slapping him. Kidman turns on London, looking like he's finally snapped.

But at the PPV, Kidman's still hesistant to perform the move...until London does it to him, unsuccessfully. Kidman finally hits the move, nailing London in the ribs to end the match. The move gets a pop and Kidman knows it as he blames the fans for London's injury. They WANTED the SSP...so he gave it to them. He does it again on London, hurting him right in the midsection as he's strapped to a gurney.

He now performs the move because the people want it...that's the only thing that they really care about, so he's giving it to them by hurting others with it.

Dames

See, your missing some key facts that makes your case flawed.

Paul London at first confronted him and just wanted to know WHY his partner walked out on him. O yah, you forgot to mention he walked out on his partner during a match. So Kidman, instead of saying to his partner I am sorry I screwed up, says nothing of an apology and turns on his partner because he got slapped. Now we can used this crap "He did it because of the fans" all day, but the fact of the matter is, he threw a temper tantrum because his partner is a man and wants answers. And he is a not.

Thats pretty thin skinned.

It had something to do with Luger saying Hogan can't be trusted, and Sting, the idiot at large, wasn't aware (considering Flair turned on him about 500 times in a span of 4 years, ditto for Luger).

Did he have pictures as proof?

Did he have pictures as proof?

Ah, memories of the ol Hummer driver.

Guest GreatOne

Similar to my thread of a few weeks back, I'll throw in:

Barry Windham joining the Horsemen at Crockett Cup 88. 'He won't be there for you................'. Then the Horsemen blindside Luger so he's out and minutes later Windham 'tags' Luger for him to get beat.

'I told you he wouldn't be there for you!', yeah JJ Luger just got taken out of the match by a AA and Tully double team and he's lying on the floor dazed, of course he's, a little preoccupied for Windham to be tagging him.

Then we have another turn against Luger: Michael Hayes in 89. 'You ain't got time to play my music!'. Although that's more in the realm of the easily-defined second fiddle, I mean come on Mike it's like if Tom Brady and Patrick Pass came out to sign autographs for Pats fans and they announced Pass first.

Or switching gears, there's Luger obliterating Ricky Steamboat with the Clothesline From Hell before Bradshaw came along. I guess cause they needed a heel and there was a plan to go with Luger (heel)/Flair (face), (and you thought WWE bookers were the first to come up with 'Hey X is a heel and Y is a face now, IT'S DIFFERENT!~). But Funk did well enough with it so Luger had nothing to do after Steamboat.

Damn, Luger's career WAS one big parody.............and we should piss on Flair in retrospect for not jobbing the title to him, okee...........

Guest LooneyTune
including his sudden turn from Narcissist asshole to American Hero...

He slammed the 9,000 pound Yokozuna! That will make anyone a hero to the United States of America and Samoa.

Dames

Paul London at first confronted him and just wanted to know WHY his partner walked out on him. O yah, you forgot to mention he walked out on his partner during a match. So Kidman, instead of saying to his partner I am sorry I screwed up, says nothing of an apology and turns on his partner because he got slapped. Now we can used this crap "He did it because of the fans" all day, but the fact of the matter is, he threw a temper tantrum because his partner is a man and wants answers. And he is a not.

Well, London slapped Kidman without any real provocation and that even confused the fans as to who the heel should be for a second there. Kidman's probably answer was that he just didn't want to hurt anyone and didn't want to do the move anymore, but London didn't even let him get that far.

Dames

Guest GreatOne
including his sudden turn from Narcissist asshole to American Hero...

He slammed the 9,000 pound Yokozuna! That will make anyone a hero to the United States of America and Samoa.

Hey we should take that to the 'Be Michael Cole' thread :lol:

Guest Rrrsh

Dames

Well, London slapped Kidman without any real provocation and that even confused the fans as to who the heel should be for a second there. Kidman's probably answer was that he just didn't want to hurt anyone and didn't want to do the move anymore, but London didn't even let him get that far.

Dames

The Slap came after Kidman deserted him and let him get DESTROYED by Heidenrich.

The slap was not confsuing at all, because Kidman constantly let down his partner and never told London why.

I've always found the Hardy Boyz jealousy turns on each other pretty lame..

"My brother is becoming more successful than me.. lets HIT HIM WITH A CHAIR~!"

I can't really remember much from back then though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Most of them, yes.

I liked the Dudleys break up though (Bubba and Dvons)

It was as simple as them being placed on opposite shows, but at the joint PPVs it would be funny to see Reverond D'Von talking to Bubba and Bubba just looking at him as if he's ashamed to be his brother.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Forget slow burning a turn, the simplest miscomunication can lead to a full blown heel turn.  I mean it makes you wonder.  For example, couldn't wrestler A point out on a tape of the show to wrestler B that he clearly meant to hit wrestler C with the chair and C just moved out of the way.  But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it becomes INSTANT FEUD!

Strike Force's breakup wouldn't have been nearly as bad if Rick Martel had cut a semi-coherent promo after the match at Wrestlemania V. He completely dropped the ball on that.

Guest DeathBecomesYou
I've always found the Hardy Boyz jealousy turns on each other pretty lame..

"My brother is becoming more successful than me.. lets HIT HIM WITH A CHAIR~!"

I can't really remember much from back then though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

The first Hardy split in late '01 was pretty well done at first IMO. How Jeff had the tag title match won at Survivor Series but had to be the big hero doing the senton off the cage instead, costing them the tag titles, leading to Matt being bitter over the loss for a few weeks until he snapped. Too bad they had to make Lita a focal point of the feud, between her and Jeff there wasn't much in the way of decent acting.

Forget slow burning a turn, the simplest miscomunication can lead to a full blown heel turn.  I mean it makes you wonder.  For example, couldn't wrestler A point out on a tape of the show to wrestler B that he clearly meant to hit wrestler C with the chair and C just moved out of the way.  But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it becomes INSTANT FEUD!

Strike Force's breakup wouldn't have been nearly as bad if Rick Martel had cut a semi-coherent promo after the match at Wrestlemania V. He completely dropped the ball on that.

Ok, why exactly did Strike Force break up and when? I think it was because one of the members walked out on the other during a match against Demolition during Wrestlemania, but I'm not completely sure.