TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Arrested Development Season 2

To be honest, the beginning of the episode was weak. Well, weak for Arrested Development at least. Tobias' delivery on that final line before running out of the room was just poor, and a couple of the jokes didn't click.

But holy shit did things get better. That last half was fucking beautiful.

Marc Cherry appearing was so entirely random and great.

Henry Winkler needs some kind of award for playing Barry. So awesome.

"Are those balls? Because, last time we were here, they were balls"

"Ah, I wish they were balls"

Anyone else love the big kiss between George Michael and Maeby? And the fact that she actually initiated it.

Of course "they may not be biological cousins* *wink*

Guest Brian

I think the white-washing of Franklin was great. "At least now he can get into the country club" or something along those lines.

I hope we get a Season Three.

After two complete seasons of AD (yeah I know this season was cut by a few), I will officially proclaim this my favorite TV show ever. The only other TV shows that even come close are Scrubs (but I have to admit that it's pretty damn close) and then Seinfeld.

This finale was one of the best episodes in my eyes, the jokes just kept on coming. I about died when "Christmas Time Is Here" returned! Then, of course:

ad7pj.gif

I loved seeing George Sr. tell Michael how horrible prison is and that he doesn't want to go back, then they cut to a montage of clips showing prison as this great wonderful place.

(Early in the episode) George Sr.: "The only reason she likes him is because he has hair, and the only reason he has any is becasue he's never had any stress."

(At the end of the episode) Narator: "And George Sr. turns out to be right about the effects of stress."

Oscar: "What the hell's happening to me? Why wont it grow back?"

I love how this episode tied up some loose ends so that this could be looked at as the final episode, but still left things open enough for the series to continue.

I have faith that it'll be back though. I wouldn't say that this party is over just yet.

Right, heres a question. I'm sending a few episodes of AD to a friend who I think'll really enjoy them.

However, I can only really send about 6 (posting CDs, blahblahblah). He's seen episodes 3 and 4 of series 1 but thats about it - so he has a rough idea of characters.

I'm trying to pick out my 6 favourite episodes, but it keeps coming back to the fact that the brilliance of some episodes comes from the references to past ones and so on.

So which 6 standalone episodes would you recommend as some of the best.

'Shock and Aww'. Obviously there's some past references in there, but I think it would stand alone on it's own. Plus, Annyong's debut.

Guest Thrashist
Right, heres a question. I'm sending a few episodes of AD to a friend who I think'll really enjoy them.

However, I can only really send about 6 (posting CDs, blahblahblah). He's seen episodes 3 and 4 of series 1 but thats about it - so he has a rough idea of characters.

Top Banana, Pier Pressure, Good Grief, Afternoon Delight, Extended Pilot, Best Man for the GOB.

Tell the cheap bastard to buy the entire first season on DVD, then wait for the season two set or burn all 18 episodes for him on VCD. ;)

You can't view this show like you should if you just pick and chose random episodes to watch. The comedy of AD isn't like every other show. I've looked at it like an organism growing over time. The show started out young, and with each passing episode it grows and grows. The comedy builds on all of the preceding shows.

There are a ton of jokes and little winks to the audience that you just wouldn't get if you haven't seen all of the shows up to that point.

To me, this is why the ratings aren't that great. It wasn't the best show for someone to just get into out of nowhere.

I don't know- I've shown AD episodes to people randomly and they still love it. I think for AD fans they just enjoy the show that much more.

Justice is Blind is a great one

Guest El Satanico

You'll get more out of the show if you watch from the beginning, but most episodes are strong enough to stand on their own.

Which episodes are the Lizer ones?

The Julia Louis-Dreyfus episodes.

The one redeeming part of the Maggie Lizer episodes is that scene where Tobias tries to hide from Maggie thinking she's blind. That had me in stitches. Other than that, those episodes aren't too great.

Got to disagree then. I LOVE the first two Maggie Lizer Season 1 episodes.

The ones from Season 2 are good, but there was a bit too many plot twists to keep up

Guest Askewniverse

I'm trying to pick out my 6 favourite episodes, but it keeps coming back to the fact that the brilliance of some episodes comes from the references to past ones and so on.

So which 6 standalone episodes would you recommend as some of the best.

Pilot/Extended Pilot

Pier Pressure

Public Relations

Shock and Aww

Best Man for the Gob

Meet the Veals

Fox Appeals to Fans, Hoping to Salvage a Comedy Series

By NAT IVES

Published: April 18, 2005

Correction Appended

Fans often conduct grass-roots campaigns to persuade television networks to spare their favorite programs from cancellation. Die-hard "Roswell" viewers, for example, won a reprieve for the series by sending petitions and countless bottles of Tabasco sauce - a favorite of the aliens on the program - to network executives.

Now a campaign seeks to save "Arrested Development," the Fox comedy, which has low ratings despite winning three Emmy Awards last September. But, in an example of a corporation co-opting the power of protest, the campaign is being run by Fox itself. (Fox is owned by the News Corporation.)

The network set up a site at www.getarrested.com, where visitors are urged to sign an "Arrested Development Loyalty Oath." Signatory fans pledge their "never-ending loyalty and allegiance to the best comedy on television today." They promise, moreover, to invite all their friends and family members to join the "Arrested Nation." As of last Friday, a counter on the site said that more than 42,000 people had electronically signed.

Some fans might think the power to save "Arrested Development," whose season finale was scheduled to run last night, may lie with the Fox executives themselves.

Not so, said Joe Earley, a spokesman at the Fox broadcast network. "Everyone is accustomed to fans rallying to save a show," he said. "We thought, what if we could find a way to take that energy and say to fans, 'instead of complaining to us, find someone else to watch the show.' "

Fox will announce its new schedule, which may or may not include "Arrested Development," next month.

From the NY Times

Yes! There IS a God!