TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Rob Van Dam: One Of A Kind DVD

I'm getting the DVD... Not because I'm a huge RVD mark and not because I'm thrilled about the lineup. RVD is decent, and I'll pick up this DVD to see some ECW stuff (I never really seen much) I always pick up Superstar's DVD's though.

I smell bullshit on this match-list makreting.

WWE would never label something as a "WWF" debut. They can't use the word WWF, I thought.

Also, Invasion 2001 is not Van Dam's "re-debut". The run-in on Raw and a tag match (with Kidman) on Smackdown! against XPac and Jeff Hardy was his 1st match back.

RVD was having his best matches from July-December 2001...his early WWF work blew away anything he did in ECW, IMO. I would of liked to see more matches from that time frame. Other than that, the DVD looks pretty good, but why are they releasing it during the weakest push of his WWE career?

Guest LooneyTune
I smell bullshit on this match-list makreting.

WWE would never label something as a "WWF" debut.  They can't use the word WWF, I thought.

Also, Invasion 2001 is not Van Dam's "re-debut".  The run-in on Raw and a tag match (with Kidman) on Smackdown! against XPac and Jeff Hardy was his 1st match back.

It's from a non-WWE site, and could easily by a typo. Shit like that happens.

Edit: It was technically WWF in 2001 anyway, and every time after its WWE (the June 2002-later stuff).

Guest bort

No matter what is on the DVD people will complain, If they didnt include his WCW and ECW debuts people would be bitchin about that. Somtimes reading topics like this show why the WWE doesnt reach out to the internet more often.

To me the DVD looks solid, The Robby V stuff will be cool to see, And most of the ECW stuff I dont own, Im glad they limited the WWE stuff on the dvd as apart from a few matches its been medicore.

Guest Anglesault
What I find odd is that RVD's two best matches ever (vs. Jericho at Unforgiven 2001 and vs. Eddy at Judgment Day 2002) aren't on this.

Well, they have KotR 02, the bastard stepchild of the Unforgiven match.

KR, Jericho/RVD Unfoprgiven 2001 one of RVD's two best matches ever? Errr...no. It's got blown spots,a STEPHANIE RUN IN FINISH...

I gave it something like ***, because it's pretty stiff and has some wicked spots.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked it, but this is coming from someone that has seen nearly all Van Dam's ECW work and a lot of his international stuff.

Technically speaking, the best match ever with RVD in it is the Survivor Series 2003 Raw 10-man.

No matter what is on the DVD people will complain, If they didnt include his WCW and ECW debuts people would be bitchin about that. Somtimes reading topics like this show why the WWE doesnt reach out to the internet more often.

No one's really complaining, just stating what they would like to see more of. Most seem to be interested in the DVD, actually.

I would have replaced the Anarchy Rulz '99 match with Balls Mahoney with the Anarchy Rulz '00 match with Rhino, since that was a pretty damn good match, and at least ONE of the RVD/Undertaker Hardcore title bouts (IMO, 'Taker's best matches in '02), but whatever.

And I hope the featurette has Van Dam talk about why his worst injury to date has been a broken leg that came from a simple maneuver (baseball slide dropkick), and not the big bumps he'd usually take, because he stretches himself out all the time and is well conditioned.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I know this is off topic but If RVD whom has been buried and un-used by WWE since the Invasion days is getting a DVD...

Why hasn't Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho gotten these things? Jericho could easily have a 3 disc DVD based off his 1998 WCW Run itself.

Guest LooneyTune

Probably an RVD Disc is in-demand. I know it's not at the top of my list, but a lot of marks still like him, even if he hasn't developed any kind of personality in WWE other than the "Pothead" stigma they gave him...and that horrible Flair imitation. Blech! I'd rather see Kane do a spin-a-rooni for a 2 hour show instead.

And I hope the featurette has Van Dam talk about why his worst injury to date has been a broken leg that came from a simple maneuver (baseball slide dropkick), and not the big bumps he'd usually take, because he stretches himself out all the time and is well conditioned.

RVD is busy smoking with the rats to remember something like that.

Guest wrestling365
Credit: Mike Johnson of PWInsider

World Wrestling Entertainment will be releasing a DVD dedicated to Rob Van Dam this January, titled, "One of A Kind." The promotional material for the DVD reads as follows:

"There's nobody in sports entertainment like Rob Van Dam. Period. Opponents and fans alike expect the unexpected when the self-proclaimed "Whole F'n Show" strikes with his high-flying, martial arts-based style.

Mike Johnson steals the info from www.silvervision.co.uk -- so if you want upcoming DVD news go there first.

Guest LooneyTune
Blech! I'd rather see Kane do a spin-a-rooni for a 2 hour show instead.

Be careful! WWE representatives might be reading this.

It would be kinda funny though...for a few minutes. After 2 hours, my head would've exploded three times, melted, and molded into an ice sculpture, and exploded again.

Hmm. Marijuana jokes cease to be funny when they're consistently repeated ad-nauseum. Well, how about that.....

And I'm also disappointed that they didn't include the Van Dam/Austin match on this collection. I've been waiting to see that match again ever since it first aired in 2001, but WWE has just never bothered to re-show it or put it on any DVDs. It's a shame. The match had good buildup during the night - the crowd reaction to RVD walking through the door was insane - and the match itself was both fun and had the crowd into it the entire time.

I don't hate the matches on this DVD, but they could have done better. RVD/Austin/Angle and RVD/Austin should have definitely been put on the DVD, and I wouldn't have minded seeing RVD/Jericho from Unforgiven 2001 and RVD/Guerrero from Judgment Day 2002 on there as well.

Either way, you take what you can get. I'll be buying this.

What's missing is his amazing 2001 WWF run (Except for his match with Jeff) but it still sounds like a great dvd. The reason WWE decided to make this dvd is because they know that Rob makes them money but they still refuse to give him a push and a world title reign.

Guest LooneyTune
And here's the ghey cover:

WWE1104_L.JPG

Note that is the Silvervision cover. I'm sure it will be different. Didn't the UK have a hideous cover for the Cena DVD (even worse than the US Versions)?

Hmm. Marijuana jokes cease to be funny when they're consistently repeated ad-nauseum. Well, how about that....

It's his own fault for not developing a character beyond being a smoker. I was so disappointed in his interviews and commentary on the Rise and Fall of ECW dvd.

Hmm. Marijuana jokes cease to be funny when they're consistently repeated ad-nauseum. Well, how about that....

It's his own fault for not developing a character beyond being a smoker. I was so disappointed in his interviews and commentary on the Rise and Fall of ECW dvd.

I don't have the DVD yet, but I must ask. Are most of the promos from RVD, from when he was the cocky heel, or once he turned face? Cause the entire RVD 4:20 stuff didn't even start until he was a full on baby face, and it was more subtle at first, like a comment here and there by himself and Styles during the match, but once the brunt of the audience caught on, it became a lot more of a focal point.

Guest MikeSC

Hmm. Marijuana jokes cease to be funny when they're consistently repeated ad-nauseum. Well, how about that.....

And I'm also disappointed that they didn't include the Van Dam/Austin match on this collection. I've been waiting to see that match again ever since it first aired in 2001, but WWE has just never bothered to re-show it or put it on any DVDs. It's a shame. The match had good buildup during the night - the crowd reaction to RVD walking through the door was insane - and the match itself was both fun and had the crowd into it the entire time.

I don't hate the matches on this DVD, but they could have done better. RVD/Austin/Angle and RVD/Austin should have definitely been put on the DVD, and I wouldn't have minded seeing RVD/Jericho from Unforgiven 2001 and RVD/Guerrero from Judgment Day 2002 on there as well.

Either way, you take what you can get. I'll be buying this.

I guess WWE's issues with Steve Austin has kept them from including any matches involving him if possible.

-=Mike

I was refering to the interview segments with the WWE staff about working the good ol days in ECW. RVD's eyes were all glossy as if he was doing a French Stuart impression and his comments included alot of "Kickass" "Awesome" "Dude". You need to listen to the secondary audio track for his match against Jerry Lynn. Its only gets better when RVD would go on a rant about something and then Cole would ask him about a move name and RVD would respond with "IT TOTALLY KICKED ASS"

Hell, RVD's commentary on that ECW DVD was hilarious. On his match anyway...his was barely even talked to on the main disc.

How come no one has mentioned the brilliance of having Robbie V vs. Scotty Flamingo on this DVD? I might buy it for that alone, haha.

Some of these matches make no sense to be on an RVD disc. The Judgement Day Eddie match is one he LOST, so I doubt they'd put that one on here. It should mainly be matches that either have legit historical significance or good matches that he won.

By the way, he DID have some good matches with Balls Mahoney...Anarchy Rulz however isn't really one of them. Also, put the RVD/Lynn match from TNN (Sept. 99) instead of the stupidly booked LD match.

RVD's promos on ECW were funny as shit, I used to love em.

The only one I haven't seen is the flag match against Dreamer @N2R '97. Is that any good? :huh:

I already have most of those matches on tape (a lot of them from the RF Video shoot), but I might still get it. They should've put the RVD/Lynn from TNN and the RVD/Sabu draw from Hardcore TV. Are those on DVD anywhere?

Why Tommy Dreamer and Balls Mahoney over another eliminators match? November to Remember 96 was a lot better than Crossing the Line Again.

Kinda sad that they've never done anything with him in over a year.