TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

i had fond childhood memories bonnie tyler's "holding out for a hero", since it was in 'short circuit 2' and all, so i downloaded it & listened to it for the first time in probably ten years. this has got to be the most bombastic, overly dramatic production OF ANY SONG EVER. i know pop music in general is notorious for being superficial and overdone, but holy SHIT is that thing overdone. the backup vocals, the stabbing horns, the reverbing drum machine beats, tyler's aural weeping and gnashing of teeth...all of it.

I started singing this today for no reason. Creepy.

i had fond childhood memories bonnie tyler's "holding out for a hero", since it was in 'short circuit 2' and all, so i downloaded it & listened to it for the first time in probably ten years.  this has got to be the most bombastic, overly dramatic production OF ANY SONG EVER.  i know pop music in general is notorious for being superficial and overdone, but holy SHIT is that thing overdone.  the backup vocals, the stabbing horns, the reverbing drum machine beats, tyler's aural weeping and gnashing of teeth...all of it.

I started singing this today for no reason. Creepy.

softly to yourself, or trying to imitate bonnie tyler's throaty screams of agony?

That Il Divo group is pretty stupid. They've got good voices, but the whole premise is that Simon Cowell was on a mission to assemble the four best and hottest male singers from the United States and Europe, and I can't complete that thought without laughing.

604009_CD_L_F.jpg

Far Left: I can't help but think how hot we are.

Mid-Left: Can you not understand how hot we are?

Mid-Right: Oh, you are the living end.

Far Right: Haw haw!

i had fond childhood memories bonnie tyler's "holding out for a hero", since it was in 'short circuit 2' and all, so i downloaded it & listened to it for the first time in probably ten years.  this has got to be the most bombastic, overly dramatic production OF ANY SONG EVER.  i know pop music in general is notorious for being superficial and overdone, but holy SHIT is that thing overdone.  the backup vocals, the stabbing horns, the reverbing drum machine beats, tyler's aural weeping and gnashing of teeth...all of it.

This song has some sort of weird hypnotic hold over me. Seriously, it's so outrageously over the top melodramatic and bombastic that it almost ceases to be ridiculous and veers into some kind of absurd artistic statement. Almost.

Took me a long time to do it and own up to it, but Korn is fine with me. They have the worst fan base (maybe second to ICP) but I just don't give a fuck anymore. Their sound is decent.

Though I've had both albums for awhile, Brian Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) and Camper Van Beethoven's Key Lime Pie have really been clicking with me, lately. From the former, "The True Wheel" and the last two minutes of "Mother Whale Eyeless" are as close to perfect as anything can get. From the latter, "All Her Favorite Fruit" is one of those songs that just make me love music.

I have been digging for some older MBV stuff, and I got Ecstasy and Wine. It's a lot poppier and accessible than Isn't Anything or Loveless. I know that was the whole point of the latter album, to have the trippy production, but this one not having it doesn't make it bad, just different. It's obviously not as good, but I think it's overlooked by a lot of people. Strawberry Wine has got such a great, great hook.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Hey Agent, do you like Broadway The Hard Way? Picked it up Saturday night and I can't get enough of it. Backing band is fantastic: Ike Willis, the Fowler Brothers, Chad Wackerman, etc.

Don't have it, but Ike Willis isn't my favorite of Zappa's vocalists. I'm mostly after his jazz-era material and early weird stuff. Some people don't go for the latter, but some of the things he does with the production elements of the early albums are still about a decade ahead of today, I think.

I like him from 72-76, though not as much, but my interest peaks again when Adrian Belew got involved on vocals later in the decade, which is someone I forgot in the list thread.

I haven't found anything in the 80's that I love yet. Maybe some moments of The Best Band You Never Heard in your Life

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm easing my way into Brian Eno, mainly by way of his collaborations with Robert Fripp, Talking Heads, and David Bowie.

Recently got Evening Star, which I haven't digested yet.

You know, I may be an idiot for pondering this, but why are critics so hard on Axl Rose for calling his band "Guns N' Roses" when he's the only original member but they give "God of the scene" Robert Smith a free pass for doing the same with The Cure?

This song has some sort of weird hypnotic hold over me. Seriously, it's so outrageously over the top melodramatic and bombastic that it almost ceases to be ridiculous and veers into some kind of absurd artistic statement. Almost.

oh, i think it totally veers into that territory. bonnie tyler is the douglas sirk of 80s pop, and someday she will be recognized as such. after she dies, they're going to find all kinds of erudite journal entries about brecht and whatnot.

My close friend had a very real near-brush with suicide this week and what made her change her mind was the version of "Heroin" on Lou Reed's American Poet. Thank God for Lou.

On a related note, I've decided that "Heroin" is my official favorite song of all time. That and "Marquee Moon" have been competing for years.

I like the album version of Britney's "(You Drive Me) Crazy" better than the "Stop" remix. And I have no shame in admitting that.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

After one listen, I like Side B best of Bitches Brew, and found it more compelling than In a Silent Way.

After one listen, I like Side B best of Bitches Brew, and found it more compelling than In a Silent Way.

side b of disc one, or disc two? it's got 4 sides.

if the latter, then i totally agree. "sanctuary" is my absolute favorite miles moment ever.

I love the new System of a Down song. I don't know the name, but it's their latest single/video and it's not "Cigaro".

I've always loved their music, but this song is just so awesomely catchy. The riff is simple yet spectacular, and the vocals are great. I can't wait for the new album.

Matt Fact: Matt's ex-fiancee Mandy used to play SOAD songs really loud during sex so the fat roommate who never got laid wouldn't hear her moaning.

Generally, I don't like downloading an album prior to its release, but there's David Pajo's new one, nearly two months before its street date, being downloaded right now. Fuck, I can't wait to listen to it. And buy it late June, natch.

Incidentally, I wish he kept the Papa M moniker, but whatta ya gonna do.

Guest BrokenWings

I agree with Matt in regards to the new SOAD song. The new Foo Fighters isn't bad, but I hope the album has more to offer. Either way, I'll be checking out the acoustic CD.

I'm looking to slowly test the techno waters. I haven't heard much of anything, and will check out whatever is recommended. I haven't heard anything which has blown me away, but I liked Fuck On Cocaine by DJ Youri (I think.)

Also, I really like Mae's new album, The Everglow. Check out a few tracks here.

I just heard this group called Underground Resistance that I liked a lot. I'm just mentioning for the hell of it, but since you brought it up, take that as a techno recommendation. They're Detroit Techno, an offshoot genre which is my favorite kind but most people don't know about unless they're into that sort of thing.