TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trivia247

more rumors on USA bid for Raw

Guest Trivia247

Source: P W Torch ]

- Vince McMahon is said to be very disappointed with how Spike TV has been handling WWE. USA Network is looking to “rebrand” it’s network, and want Sunday Night NFL, and RAW. Vince’s mouth waters at the possibilities of being affiliated with USA, which is an NBC-owned network. Both Spike TV and USA will bid aggressively for RAW, and other networks may jump into the picture knowing that USA is shooting for WWE programming. TBS and FX have been mentioned as possibilities. With all of this buzz over RAW, WWE will get a better cable deal than they would have if USA were not running for them.

They not might get better, but I'd be overjoyed to see Raw on USA again. For same reason it was never just the same once it moved to TNN.

Post hoc reasoning.

RAW moving to TNN was not the reason the show started to suck, but an independent event that coincided with the decline and merely created the illusion of a cause/effect relationship.

They not might get better, but I'd be overjoyed to see Raw on USA again. For same reason it was never just the same once it moved to TNN.

Post hoc reasoning.

RAW moving to TNN was not the reason the show started to suck, but an independent event that coincided with the decline and merely created the illusion of a cause/effect relationship.

I was being serious, I remember the very first night that Raw was on TNN. Nothing on the show felt right or clicked. Stone Cold came back for an interview and I became sick of him again within minutes.

Of course, Raw's last night on USA was nothing to write home about either (nor was the Unforgiven ppv that took place between these two events).

If USA managed to get RAW, where would Smackdown go? :huh:

On UPN....where they are now.

Personally, I'd like to see Raw back on USA. The school I'm at doesn't get Spike, but it does get USA so I could watch Raw again. I wouldn't, but the possibility would be there.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think it has more to do with Stephanie McMahon becoming the head writer around the same time more than the Network jump.

NBC Unviersal wants everything don't they?...Well they do have the money(General Electric)..

Next year is going to be very interesting.....Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football are up for grabs....and WWE is looking for a new home...

Guest netslob
Stone Cold came back for an interview and I became sick of him again within minutes.

that's a perfectly normal reaction.

Guest LooneyTune

Austin didn't get annoying until the "What?!" thing got over-the-top annoying in 2002. In 2000, he was still entertaining, the shock of about 7 people who still say Austin has sucked for the last 5 years because it's the "kool" thing to do.

Because, you know, the shows will automatically get better if they're on a different channel.

Actually, that's not necessarily true.

I forgot who it was, but a person overlooked the WWF writers in 2000, when the show was at it's peak. I believe it was a lady, but I can't recall her name.

And USA promoted Raw better than Spike TV/TNN did.

NBC shows the dog show, but I believe it's a taped program. The dog show is the highest rated show on cable this year. ABC had a dog show on last week during thanksgiving.

Raw is not going to a Turner owned network because:

a) They did not want WCW or WWF Nitro

b) Vince does not really like Ted Turner.

AOL doesn't own Time Warner anymore....in fact its not even called AOL TIME WARNER anymore...its just Time Warner....and Ted Turner isn't part of Time Warner anymore...he resigned...

And some of the management that was part of that merger(and the demise of wCw) are not there anymore......that's the reason TBS is being a consideration...

Guest Dynamite Kido

It actually could improve ratings if it went to USA, as it is available to more of the country than Spike currently is.

Because, you know, the shows will automatically get better if they're on a different channel.

I forgot who it was, but a person overlooked the WWF writers in 2000, when the show was at it's peak. I believe it was a lady, but I can't recall her name.

There was a producer for USA that helped Raw, but I think she left the network before Raw did.

As far as promotion goes...the ratings steady decline probably wasn't caused by promotion. While promotion gets you new viewers, it doesn't guarantee they'll stick around. Having a declining product causes you to loose viewers. I'd say that reason is more relevant.

People really need to quit associating Ted Turner with TBS/TNT. He doesn't have anything to do with either anymore, IIRC.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

People really need to quit associating Ted Turner with TBS/TNT. He doesn't have anything to do with either anymore, IIRC.

Exactly.....

I guess because the networks are still labeled with "Turner" they are assuming that Turner still has something to do with the two stations.....but he doesn't...AOL screwed him so he has no say...

Okay I don't know how it is nationwide, but is carriage even an issue anymore in these days of digital cable? I mean, it seems like now both USA and Spike TV would be givens, and we're concerned about the People Magazine Network not being available on our systems. Or something marginal of that ilk.

People talk about the Dog Show, as if there's only one. The One USA shows in September (and still has a 5 Year deal with if I remember correctly) is Westminister from MSG.

NBC shows the Philadelphia Show on thanksgiving Day. (The Show actually takes place a coupe of weeks before thanksgiving) That I know has a co-branding agreement with Purina for 5 years.

It actually could improve ratings if it went to USA, as it is available to more of the country than Spike currently is.

But ratings aren't a real concern now. They are holding steady for the most part.

The big problems facing this company are PPV buyrates and live attendance. That's what they should be focusing on.

I think Spike TV is in more homes than USA Network now....back in 2000 there was a concern about TNN not being available in as many home as USA Network....but MTV Networks made a commitment to offer TNN more homes....and if I'm not mistaken Spike TV has surpassed or close to being in more homes than USA Network.....Because Spike TV is part of the MTV Networks(which operates MTV..Comedy Central...CMT..Nickelodeon...and BET)....

Guest Dynamite Kido

But ratings aren't a real concern now. They are holding steady for the most part.

The big problems facing this company are PPV buyrates and live attendance. That's what they should be focusing on.

Well, that's part of what I was saying. I'm sure they feel as if their ratings increase being on a network where more people can see them.......the live attendance and PPV buyrates would go up as well. Not my thinking........but it's probably their's.

I think it has more to do with Stephanie McMahon becoming the head writer around the same time more than the Network jump.

Technically that's not true, as there was a month long gap between Raw jumping ship to TNN/Spike and Steph ascending to head writer spot.

But as someone stated in this thread, the fact that the first TNN/STV Raw was the first Raw to feature the return of Steve Austin is something to consider for regards to the shark-jump moment for the company. The entire year 2000 up until that point showed that the WWE could do just fine without Austin, so his return was one huge ass step backwards for the company. Especially when you consider how Austin made both Benoit and Angle look like crap in the segment he made his return to....

There was a producer for USA that helped Raw, but I think she left the network before Raw did.

I believe the person in question is named Bonnie Hammer. She eventually became president of Sci Fi Channel.

Of some note, Hammer is now president of USA Network as well, the additional responsibilities added as part of the NBC Universal merger. Things do tend to move full circle, it seems.