TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Discovery's 100 Greatest Americans

Top 100 Americans... what, like Ever? That's tough. How do you decide whether Mark Twain or FDR was the greater man? (That's just one example, I'm sure there are thousands of others.)

100? Jesus, that's an insane list. I don't think I can do it, to be honest: how can you really judge achievements in completely different areas against each other? :huh:

Top 100 Americans... what, like Ever? That's tough. How do you decide whether Mark Twain or FDR was the greater man? (That's just one example, I'm sure there are thousands of others.)

Anyone who was a US citizen is eligible. So someone like Einstein might be eligible, not sure if he ever became a citizen.

I'm curious to see what sports figures rate on that list. I'm guessing Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali, and Jesse Owens will land on that list. I'd love to see John L. Sullivan figure in as well.

I've never read anything stating Cobb killed a man. Cobb's mother killed his father (according to the trial she mistaked him for a prowler), so maybe there's a mixup there. In any case, Cobb had little impact on the world outside of baseball. Jackie Robinson definately would have a shot at the list, but I can't see Branch Rickey there.

I've never read anything stating Cobb killed a man. Cobb's mother killed his father (according to the trial she mistaked him for a prowler), so maybe there's a mixup there. In any case, Cobb had little impact on the world outside of baseball. Jackie Robinson definately would have a shot at the list, but I can't see Branch Rickey there.

Cobb apparently claimed on his deathbed that he pistol-whipped a mugger to death. I don't think its ever been proven. With his personality it could have very well been BS.

What about Ted Williams? Great baseball player and war hero.

Williams' accomplishments are undeniable, but what did he do to transend baseball? Very little, in my view. Certainly nothing that would rate him among the Ben Franklins and Mark Twains of our nation.

Cobb apparently claimed on his deathbed that he pistol-whipped a mugger to death. I don't think its ever been proven. With his personality it could have very well been BS.

Its possible, but I have never come across anything to comfirm that story.

Guest Failed Mascot

Williams' accomplishments are undeniable, but what did he do to transend baseball? Very little, in my view. Certainly nothing that would rate him among the Ben Franklins and Mark Twains of our nation.

Um...Greatest Hitter to ever live

Easy.

I think we all know the answer to this question.

And it starts with an M and ends with an Atlock.

matlock.jpg

I'm disappointed nobody has mentioned Hulk Hogan.

If it makes you feel any better, he's number 83 on my list.

Um...Greatest Hitter to ever live

How many presidents do you guys think will be on the list? I think they're gonna go with a set number, like 12.

Probably around that number. Depends on it's just the standard fare. Like Washington, Lincoln..or if they go a little deeper and include Polk, whose considered by most historians to be a Top 10 president.

Guest Failed Mascot

I expect Ted Williams to be in the bottom 30. I mean the guy gave up 3 1/2 years of his prime to serve in the air force. He didn't just sit back and wash the planes either. He was flying in and doing missions.