TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sek69

Wal-Mart to Canada Store: Fuck you and your Union

Guest Vitamin X
Speaking as somebody working for a major telecom company --- we are FULLY aware of what unions provide.

My deal with my company is better than the deals the ONE union shop in my company delivered for their employees --- and suggested, none too subtly, that people who cross picket lines deserve to be killed.

-=Mike

You don't happen to work for BellSouth, do you?

I do, and I declined membership in the CWA (Communication Workers Association) since after questioning the union representatives, I get the EXACT SAME benefits I would being in the union or not. I laughed at the response I got when I asked what the benefit would be being in the union as opposed to not bothering with it: "Umm.. better representation if you get fired?" Well then, I'd have to put myself in a position where I could be fired then, wouldn't I? And the union could MAYBE weasel me out of it if only I pay them $50 a month (I work part time as well, so that comes out of $510 I make a month) for this occasion that may never occur?

I felt like I was talking to an insurance salesman.

All I can say is: Thank goodness for teacher's unions.

*waits for typical right-wing response*

Man, you're just asking for it on that one, aren't you? :P

Oh geez, my dad could bitch for HOURS about the teachers union.

Since I actually do belong to the Kansas chapter of the NEA, here's your chance to let a member know what you think.

Guest Brian

When I was at the grocery store, the union that operates out here in Seattle charges less than three hours worth of pay for dues. For that, people get paid sixteen dollars an hour, get time and a half for Sunday, holiday, and overtime; I think 8 holidays a year where they get a full day's worth of pay; Birthday Pay; full health care and a pretty good legal support. The non-union stores have to put up a dollar more than that, and with fewer benefits.

Do they make workers everywhere do that stupid Wal-Mart chant before opening or is it just here?

No, everywhere.

Hell, some of our managers try to make us do it at night.

I refuse to do it though, and I once actually got in shit for it. Stupid WalMart.

When your company never HAD unions and still offer insanely generous benefits --- no union can take credit.

-=Mike

But don't the union wages from other jobs influence the going market rate for labor in general, which has the effect of driving up the cost of specialized labor?

The relationship is indirect, but I still believe its there.

Yes. Even non-union workers in unionized industries have higher wages on average.

Since I actually do belong to the Kansas chapter of the NEA, here's your chance to let a member know what you think.

I would like to know your opinion of the unions, RJ. I am going to be a teacher after one more year of grad school.

What is it with the kneejerk conservative response to the union/living wage argument that the liberal alternative is paying McWorkers $10/hr to flip burgers when they (at least I) don't suggest anything of the sort.

I'm not saying McDonald's should pay top dollar, but what's wrong with companies treating their employees like people instead of cattle?

No offense, but did you actually read what the hell you wrote? You were imply exactly that.

Sorry, I worked at Mickey D's for two years. I would NEVER want a union for that place. I wouldn't DESERVE getting paid the obscene amount that Brian just named off, which is what I'm certain would happen.

And, as a note, they don't treat you like cattle at every store. It is completely up to what type of manager you have. I've had a few good ones and one bad one, and the good ones never abused me or any of that crap. You guys assume WAY WAY too much when it comes down to middle management and such.

Fast food places have much too much turnover for a union to be feasible, don't they? Hell, I only worked at Burger King for like 3 months before quitting and finding something better.

Guest MikeSC
When your company never HAD unions and still offer insanely generous benefits --- no union can take credit.

-=Mike

But don't the union wages from other jobs influence the going market rate for labor in general, which has the effect of driving up the cost of specialized labor?

The relationship is indirect, but I still believe its there.

In this situation, no. My entire industry is not terribly unionized and unions have been losing elections in shops for years now.

If my company became unionized, we'd lose our borderline ridiculous benefit package. We have tuititon reimbursement where you aren't obligated to stay one day after you graduate. Yearly bonuses of somewhere in the double digit percentage of your salary. Raises every year. Promotions after 9 months. 2 weeks paid vacation your first year.

No union can hope to match this. And this is for a SOUTHERN shop, where wages are supposed to be lower anyway.

There might be an indirect correlation --- but I don't see how. And I can say that it is not the case in any other area of Southern employment.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Speaking as somebody working for a major telecom company --- we are FULLY aware of what unions provide.

Verizon?

Yes.

-=Mike

...Wireless, not landline

Since I actually do belong to the Kansas chapter of the NEA

Another Kansan? I never knew

As for the NEA, nearly every time I heard about them around here while growing up (sine my mother was a teacher, though I dunno if she was a member) it seemed like they were up to no good.

I would like to know your opinion of the unions, RJ. I am going to be a teacher after one more year of grad school.

Teachers unions are basically going to give you one real reason to join: malpractice insurance. They'll only pay your legal bills if you're found not guilty, though. Not too long ago we lived in the dark ages where teachers didn't earn a living wage because the job was looked down on.

Teaching is one place where you'd need a union because salaries and benefits are set by elected boards rather than market forces. The modern teacher's union puts political pressure on state legislatures, rather than the employer themselves.

One definite beneficial thing about the teachers' union in general is that its the only group that represents the point of view of the teachers, rather than the popular misconceptions about education that are popular with the public right now (that's a WHOLE different subject).

I work in Kansas, but live in Missouri.

Guest MikeSC
Dear God Mike, please tell me you're not a telemarketer.

Oh, and yay for Wal-Mart. Now those workers can go get a good union job somewhere else...

Nah. I'm the guy you'd call to bitch at.

In fact, if you have Verizon, I'd be one of the guys you'd call to bitch at when something goes wrong. I deal with PA and that area specifically.

My first step on the path to training.

-=Mike

Oh, and yay for Wal-Mart. Now those workers can go get a good union job somewhere else...

In fact, if you have Verizon, I'd be one of the guys you'd call to bitch at when something goes wrong. I deal with PA and that area specifically.

-=Mike

Mike, I misjudged you. You sound like an alright kind of guy.

**extends olive leaf**

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Mike, I misjudged you. You sound like an alright kind of guy.

**extends olive leaf**

*Accepts olive leaf.*

Believe me, I'm really a teddy bear.

-=Mike

...Peace...

I'd go for Teacher's Unions too if the Detroit Teacher's Union actuall, well, did something useful besides trying to become a vote mongering machine. :angry: :angry:

As long as they bitch at you via telephone and not assault you with a telephone, you should be in good shape -- unless you start talking politics.

Damn, first Rant with Comcast and now you with Verizon. Perhaps I'll call one of you two sometime. (Probably not with you because I use Verizon for my landline...)

Guest MikeSC

As long as they bitch at you via telephone and not assault you with a telephone, you should be in good shape -- unless you start talking politics.

Damn, first Rant with Comcast and now you with Verizon. Perhaps I'll call one of you two sometime. (Probably not with you because I use Verizon for my landline...)

I feel for you. Verizon Landline is a bitch to deal with.

I'm actually the nicest guy you can deal with.

-=Mike

I'd go for Teacher's Unions too if the Detroit Teacher's Union actuall, well, did something useful besides trying to become a vote mongering machine. :angry: :angry:

Of course, there's good unions and bad unions.

I think the reason teachers unions get a bad name is because of stuff like this that happens probably quite often in large cities.

Work in one state, live in another?

I guess that makes sense in this particular situation, since Missouri and Kansas are so close that a city called KANSAS CITY would be in Missouri. What's up with that anyway? Sounds retarded that the city of a state does not reside in said state.

Work in one state, live in another?

I guess that makes sense in this particular situation, since Missouri and Kansas are so close that a city called KANSAS CITY would be in Missouri. What's up with that anyway? Sounds retarded that the city of a state does not reside in said state.

There actually is a Kansas City, KS. Its rather small, though.

Both Kansas City and the state of Kansas were named after the Kanza Indians. The city wasn't named after the state, but rather both the city and the state were named after the same thing. There's also a Kansas City in Oregon and Tennessee, but the one in Missouri is the largest.

My mom is a teacher, so I've grown up in & around the NEA my whole life. My general impression is that they get a bad rap, but especially over the "power" they supposedly hold. My mother has a master's degree from Vanderbilt's Peabody school of education (one of the best in the world), is a 30-year veteran of special ed teaching, has various special certificates & qualifications, and teaches at a fairly exclusive private school... yet she still makes only about $30,000 per year. If the teachers' unions had any real power, surely they'd be able to raise their own members' salaries. I mean, in what other career in America can you have extensive postsecondary training in your field of specialization and be damn good at what you do, yet still make so little?