TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Chicago gets Wrestlemania 22

CHICAGO TO HOST WRESTLEMANIA 22, ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE MADE THIS FRIDAY

by Mike Johnson @ 10:00:00 PM on 2/23/2005

Chicago, Illinois will host Wrestlemania 22 in April 2006, according to an article in Illinois newspaper The Des Plaines Journal. An official announcement will be made this Friday to the local media, according to the newspaper, which cites a press release from city officials.

The show will be held at the Allstate Arena, which features a capacity of close to 20,000 fans. Two previous Wrestlemania events were held in the venue (back when it was known as the Rosemont Horizon prior to a 1999 renovation), a portion of Wrestlemania 2 highlighted by a WWF vs. NFL Battle Royal and Wrestlemania 13 which featured the historic Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin bout that ended up sparking Austin's career and being Hart's final Wrestlemania appearance.

As noted earlier this week on PWInsider.com, both Montreal and Calgary, Alberta Canada had been considered as sites for the 22nd annual Wrestlemania event.

--PWInsider.com

CHICAGO TO HOST WRESTLEMANIA 22, ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE MADE THIS FRIDAY

by Mike Johnson @ 10:00:00 PM on 2/23/2005

Chicago, Illinois will host Wrestlemania 22 in April 2006, according to an article in Illinois newspaper The Des Plaines Journal. An official announcement will be made this Friday to the local media, according to the newspaper, which cites a press release from city officials.

The show will be held at the Allstate Arena, which features a capacity of close to 20,000 fans. Two previous Wrestlemania events were held in the venue (back when it was known as the Rosemont Horizon prior to a 1999 renovation), a portion of Wrestlemania 2 highlighted by a WWF vs. NFL Battle Royal and Wrestlemania 13 which featured the historic Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin bout that ended up sparking Austin's career and being Hart's final Wrestlemania appearance.

As noted earlier this week on PWInsider.com, both Montreal and Calgary, Alberta Canada had been considered as sites for the 22nd annual Wrestlemania event.

--PWInsider.com

Chicago can suck my balls.

When are they gonna bring a WrestleMania somewhere in the southeastern US? I'm talking somewhere like Charlotte, Atlanta, DC, even Miami or Orlando . . . NYC, Chicago, and LA/Anaheim have combined for a total of 10 WrestleManias (including next year's show if that's the case, and ALL F'N THREE OF THEM in one night for WM2).

I guess I can always dream . . . . or at least keep entering these fuckin' WrestleMania ticket contests that are always going on WWE.com this tiime of year.

Fuck a bunch'a Chicago.

:firing:

NYC, Chicago, and LA/Anaheim have combined for a total of 10 WrestleManias

Well, they are the three largest cities in the US...

NYC, Chicago, and LA/Anaheim have combined for a total of 10 WrestleManias

Well, they are the three largest cities in the US...

I realize that, but that doesn't mean they deserve to get almost one out of every two WrestleManias!!

WrestleMania at the new arena in Charlotte would kick all sorts of ass, and would sell out in a heartbeat, but NOOOOO, Vince has to go back to Chicago for a 3rd time. I can only hope they get WM13 all over again, without the goodness of Bret/Austin.

You know what would rock, as a throwback to Starrcade? WM at the Greensboro Coliseum. It'll never happen, because it would involve recognizing the success that NWA/WCW had there, but for nostalgia purposes, it would be kinda cool . . .

Chicago is the third largest market in the US after NY and LA, so it's no surprise that's where they'd go for next year.

I know when they come to Chicago, they always go to the Rosemont Horizon (excuse me, ALLSTATE ARENA... bleh), but that venue just doesn't seem up to par for a WM these days. I can't believe they wouldn't try to book the United Center instead. They had SummerSlam at the United Center one year, so it's not like they've never run there before.

WrestleMania at the new arena in Charlotte would kick all sorts of ass, and would sell out in a heartbeat

ummm, wrestlemania in siberia would sell out in a heartbeat...

its all about exposure.

WrestleMania at the new arena in Charlotte would kick all sorts of ass, and would sell out in a heartbeat

ummm, wrestlemania in siberia would sell out in a heartbeat...

its all about exposure.

ummm . . . . . I was just trying to make a point, assclown.

:angry:

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Fantastic. Chicago is always a great crowd for the most part.

As for the guy who said Houston gets XXIII? It would be almost a virtual lock that Detroit hosts the event to commemorate WM3.

It's driveable as well...

Chicago is the third largest market in the US after NY and LA, so it's no surprise that's where they'd go for next year.

I know when they come to Chicago, they always go to the Rosemont Horizon (excuse me, ALLSTATE ARENA... bleh), but that venue just doesn't seem up to par for a WM these days. I can't believe they wouldn't try to book the United Center instead. They had SummerSlam at the United Center one year, so it's not like they've never run there before.

Allstate Arena is actually not a bad place at all. Every seat has a good view and it's quite a nice arena (especially after the renovation).

Jason

Chicago is a really big wrestling town. WCW was still drawing big crowds there during their dying days. They're probably doing WM there because they know fans will be willing to pay high prices for tickets.

Guest Sturgis
Question - there was a WCW PPV called "Chi-Town Heat" and then Wrestlemania 13's tagline was "Heat!".

It was Chi-Town Rumble.

Chicago is a really big wrestling town. WCW was still drawing big crowds there during their dying days. They're probably doing WM there because they know fans will be willing to pay high prices for tickets.

Heck, we even drew 8000ish for a recent Smackdown house show. I couldn't imagine that 8000 of my fellow Chicagoites would buy tickets for a Smackdown house show (with UT v. Heidenreich in a casket match), but they did.

Jason

WCW also gave away a fuckload of free tickets to the United Center. And Mancow seemed to be giving callers tickets at every possible point in his radio show when WCW came to town.

Either way, I can use Wrestlemania as an excuse to go visit my family in Joliet.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

Meltz has been talking about how the WWE has been opting to put Mania in major media markets over smaller cities with large venues. Reason being that the extra pub you get from being in a big city is owrth more for PPV buys than the extra gate from a large venue.

Which makes sense.

I had heard Montreal was heavily considered, but I haven't heard anything about a final announcement.

It makes sense though. NYC has had 3 Manias, and behind NYC, Chicago is probably the WWE's "#2 town", so this will be their thrid show.

Guest ArchoanJB

Being in Indiana, I'm there! I drive that far just for random IWA shows, I was just thinking if WM went to Chicago anytime in the next few years I'm going. KICKASS!

It's weird that the 3 cities that hosted WM2 get 3 WrestleManias in a row. I don't know if they'll do WM23 in DET though because people would be inevtiably comparing WM3's 93,173 to the maybe 22,000 you could get at the Joe Louis Arena. I agree with HTQ in that WM3 is so special that going back to Detroit wouldn't be a good idea.

That said, I'm thinking maybe Philadelphia, Boston, or Dallas gets WM23.

Question - there was a WCW PPV called "Chi-Town Heat" and then Wrestlemania 13's tagline was "Heat!".

What the hell is so hot about Chicago? Or am I missing something.

The only thing I can think of, which may seem kinda sick (and would be if they meant it) is the Great Chicago Fire in 1871. Seems pretty sick, but I think Michael Jordan had some stuff with a similar mention when he was with the Bulls, like "Great Chicago Flyer" and stuff like that.

Guest Coffey
I wonder how far in advance tickets will go on sale. Being in Indiana, I may contemplate a road trip.

Yeah, me too. I'm in Terre Haute, so it'd be about four hours on the road.

I would say "Bring it to DC" but we're getting Summerslam, so no worries.

The real question, is will this man be there for a live "Good Times, Great Memories"?

cabana.jpg