TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

Chris Webber traded to Philadelphia

It's Webber, Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley for Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson, and Brian Skinner, pending league approval. I'd say this pretty much locks up the Atlantic for Philly.

Guest Failed Mascot

Webber's knees are terrible and he looks like he's just sluggishly going on out there. Still, he can kill the terrible Celtics.

...a "close to done" deal has Baron Davis going to Golden State for Dale Davis, a first-round pick in the 2005 draft, and a pick later in that same draft.

Here's the story...

By Chad Ford

ESPN Insider

The Sacramento Kings and Philadelphia 76ers have completed a deal that will send Chris Webber, Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley to the Sixers for Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner, two league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

The Kings have called a news conference for midnight ET to announce the trade.

The fact that Webber was on the block should come as no surprise to Kings fans. General manager Geoff Petrie had been shopping Webber for some time. The Kings have been concerned about team chemistry and how the offense often stagnates with Webber in the game.

The Knicks were trying to acquire Webber for weeks and looked like the only team with an owner willing to swallow the last three years and $62 million of his deal.

What is surprising, however, is what the Kings will get from the 76ers in return. None of the three players the Kings receive are as talented as Webber. Each has been struggling this year and all three have long-term contracts equal to the three years, $62 million left on Webber's deal. In other words, this isn't a salary dump by the Kings.

Thomas has five years and $39 million left on his deal, plus a 15 percent trade kicker that will raise his salary higher. Williams has two years and $12.5 million left on his deal. Skinner has one year and $4.9 million left on his contract plus another year at $5.4 million that is 75 percent guaranteed.

While the Kings lose some star power, they do acquire some depth … something that has been sorely needed in Sacramento the past two seasons. Once the trade does become official, look for it to seriously end discussions of a Peja Stojakovic trade. Stojakovic wanted out, in part, because of a poor relationship with Webber both on and off the court. With Webber gone, his trade demands will likely end.

Ho-Lee Crap.

Webber's been having an all-star season (despite not bieng on the all-star team)... assuming he stays healthy, Philly just became a dangerous team imo. Iverson and Webber?

And the guys on espn earler were saying there'd be no "big trades" this deadline. :)

Looks like the Kings wanted to dump some salary as Webber is due about 80 million over the next four years. Maybe the Maloofs and GM Petrie feel Peja has been sucking ever since Webber came back from his injury. It would suck if Peja STILL wants out at the end of the season LOL.

You know what's interesting, a week or two back, Steven A kept insisting (despite denials) that Iverson basically said "Get me some roster help, or move me." NOt saying it was definetly true, but that could explain this whole "out of left field" trade.

Shit, I know Sacramento has been dying to deal Webber, but I'm not sure about the trade-off. Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson are decent, but they're not exactly setting my world on fire.

And it's not even a salary dump since the contracts the Kings are receiving basically equate to Webber's salary.

Man, i didn't see this trade coming. If Webber stays healthy Philadelphia just made themselves a real contender in the East, not that that says a great deal but still.

The bad contracts going to the Kings are just that - bad. None of those players are going to produce for the Kings beyond what Webber can bring to the Sixers. What Philly did was to simplify the team contracts, eliminate dead weight, make their franchise player excited to play out the rest of his contract and add a legitimate superstar to their roster.

A+ trade for Philadelphia. C- trade for Sacramento (improving "team chemistry" or whateverthefuck).

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

I'm happy to see Iverson get some help, but i'm not happy to see Webber leave.

Why the hell would we want Scoreless Williamson back here? Blah.

Trade reported on ESPNRadio, "in serious talks"...

San Antonio receives: Peja Stojakovic, Brian Skinner.

Sacramento receives: Brent Barry, Malik Rose, draft picks.

Looks like Sacramento are certainly hoisting the white flag when it comes to winning a championship, potentially trading away both Webber and Peja in the space of a day and getting not much more than role players in return.

Stojakovic on the Spurs, might as well give them the championship right now.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, man. That gives them a starting lineup of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobli, Peja Stojakovic, Tony Parker, and whoever the fuck else they want to put out.

Oh god. And people were saying the Lakers were "buying" a championship for obtaining a broken-down Karl Malone and a declining Gary Payton last season?!

Looks like the Kings wanted to dump some salary as Webber is due about 80 million over the next four years. Maybe the Maloofs and GM Petrie feel Peja has been sucking ever since Webber came back from his injury. It would suck if Peja STILL wants out at the end of the season LOL.

65 million over 3

Guest Flyboy

Peja has been having a horrible year so if the deal goes through it would good for the long-term, but... right now...

I don't see the sense in trading away both Webber and Peja when that is where the rift in the team seemed to be, unless management has come to the conclusion that Peja wanted out of Sacramento regardless of whether Webber was here or not.

This is kind of frustrating. The only way this makes any sense is if the Kings somehow end up way under the cap and dive deep into the FA pool in the offseason.

Guest Failed Mascot
Looks like Sacramento are certainly hoisting the white flag when it comes to winning a championship, potentially trading away both Webber and Peja in the space of a day and getting not much more than role players in return.

I thought they were going to start a youth movement as soon as they traded Christie for Mobley. Just seems to have taken them longer than expected.

Not much to add but this certainly came out of left field. In the weak Atlantic division, Philadelphia should pull away with the division with 2 all star caliber players in Webber and Iverson.

And if the Peja trade is true, what's the deal with Sacramento dismantling their team?