TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The OAO 77th Annual Academy Awards Thread

I want to see Don Cheadle get an award for HOtel Rwanda, but alas you know that belongs to jamie foxx (who was also good, Depp was great too, and I assume Leo was good though i havent seen aviator). 'Best Actor' is actually a very good field this year.

Leo was a pretty good actor in the sense that I went into the film thinking "WTF he looks nothing like Hughes" and left the theater feeling like it didn't matter because he did a convincing job in every scene he was in.

I agree that Scorsese deserves something, but I don't think this is the film he should be getting it for. He's done so much better before. This film has it's flawed moments, such as the flight of the Spruce Goose was played up as some far more dramatic and important even than it really was. I kind of got the feeling that they did that only because they lacked much of any other kind of climax.

I think Morgan Freeman deserves the Best Supporting nod, not only because he brought the workrate in Million Dollar Baby, but because he's been giving consistently excellent performances for the last 20 years or so without a little gold statue on his mantle.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

Though there is nil chance of this, I would love to see Jamie Foxx not win. Seriously, that would make my night.

It'd be funny if one of the presenters was all "And the winner is...Lord of the Rings" for one of the awards, just to see people's reactions.

Guest BrokenWings

Hilary Swank had better win Best Actress. That's the thing I'm really hoping for.

I also really hope Super Size Me doesn't win, because it was vastly overrated, and not Oscar worthy.

I'm interested in seeing what wins Best Picture, too.

There is just something so wrong about the statement "Two time Oscar winner Hilary Swank" however. To win 2 Oscars you have to have SOME kind of drawing power....you can't just give 2 to some chick who can just play men. Christ this chick was in The Next Karate Kid for God's sake, and that film wasn't really THAT dissimilar from Million $ Baby if you think about it.

Although I do believe Glenda Jackson won 2 as well.

I think there were three anti Bush statements last year:

1. Billy Crystal opened up the show and said he remembered when he first hosted the Oscars the economy was low and we were at war, and Bush was in office, "what a difference ___ years make".

2. The guy who won Best Documentary said that we had "got ourself trapped in a rabbit hole by going to Iraq."

3. Sean Penn: "If there's one thing that every great actor should know besides there are no WOMD..."

To win 2 Oscars you have to have SOME kind of drawing power

no, the idea is to give the oscar to the BEST actress. ideally, to win, you just have to be really really good. it's not the golden globes or the people's choice awards.

you can't just give 2 to some chick who can just play men.

if she plays "men" better than anybody else played their part that year, why can't you? if swank was the best actress this year, and you decide to give it to somebody else because she played a tomboy again, doesn't that make the whole award not mean as much?

Christ this chick was in The Next Karate Kid for God's sake, and that film wasn't really THAT dissimilar from Million $ Baby if you think about it.

that's exactly what i thought when i first saw the trailer for 'million dollar baby'. then i saw the movie, and it shut me up.

Look, I don't care really I don't, I loved Million Dollar Baby, it was great...

But Scorsese must win, and it helps that The Aviator was a real good film, with a great performance from DiCaprio in the center,

Just my humble opinion

I HATE Lifetime Achievement Awards disguised as Oscars(which I think will happen). Eastwood did a much better job directing MDB than Scorsese with Aviator(which was good nothing really spectaular) and deserves the Oscar.

Scorsese should have won for Goodfellas, for Raging Bull, maybe even for Taxi Driver. Aviator, he shouldn't win.

Joel Stein is an asshole- "Oooh 'Holtel Rwanda', I haven't heard of that film, who cares, see how smarmy I am"- hahaha shuthefuckup

Guest Failed Mascot

If Morgan Freeman doesn't win Best Supporting Actor then I'd love to see Foxx grab it. He's a lock for his portrayal of Ray Charles so seeing him grab both would be awesome. Seeing him accept the awards as Ugly Wanda would be great.

I still don't think he should've been nominated for Collateral. He's in the movie more then Tom Cruise!!! I'd LOVE to see Alan Alda win for the Aviator- he was the best part of the movie

Guest netslob
Million Dollar Baby had boxing scenes that were, dare I say it, even MORE unrealistic than Rocky 2-5. Seriously, the end is the worst, typical hollywood crap.

now, i wouldn't say that. at least Swank's character kept her guard up most of the time, for chrissakes.

Sideways swept the Independent Spirit awards, so I guess that (in addition to Best Adapted Screenplay tonight) is going to be its consolation prize. Too bad, since it's the best movie of the bunch.

Guest Vitamin X

Man, I hate this Countdown crap.

Playing a lot of Ray Charles during the fade-in/fade-outs to the commercials though... Sign of things to come?