TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Mountie

Lame finisher names

Guest LooneyTune

I'm pretty sure in the other direction, it was the Uncle Slam, but I haven't watched Patriot match (where he does it) in a long time. He used to do a top rope diving shoulder tackle I think had a bad name too back in the GWF.

Guest Pariah

The Dandaconda is another Doring one, I think

The guy was like an efed character, he had a gimmick name for every move... Well at least it was better than hearing Styles call everything a Doring-Plex/Kick/DDT

Guest PlatinumBoy

Didn't Saturn's Moss Covered Three Handled Family Greundza come from Jericho's list of 1004 moves?

Guest LooneyTune
I'm almost certain that was called the Patriot Missle.

Damn moves with the persons (or gimmicks) name in it. :angry:

Guest jm29195
Not a finisher, but ANYTIME someone does any form of a spinebuster, it's suddenly an Arn Anderson Spinebuster, as if he invented every fucking variation

Especially when the spinebuster is clearly the one that Ron Simmon's innovated, the one where it is more of a jackknife drop than the rotation that Anderson got with his....

I was thinking of starting a topic like this myself.

The Whisper in the Wind I have to say is the absolute worst. Plus it's a corkscrew moonsault. I don't like renaming moves that already have a well established, generic name, especially when it's not your primary finisher.

I got used to it, but I initially thought the Last Ride was a terrible name, so it probably is.

The Lo Down/Sky High for being miscalled practically every time.

I like The Corporate Elbow better than The People's Elbow.

Clothesline From Hell only works with what a clothesline is already established. It's a crazy combination of words.

Chris Jericho has had all lion references stripped away, so Lionsault no longer makes sense.

I didn't like that every suplex Taz did became a Whatever Tazplex.

Many Japanese moves are pretty out there, but somewhat cool in that insane Japanese way. Miracle Ecstasy is probably my favorite one. There's a move in the Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter game called Ultra Variety Private Memories. I wish a Japanese wrestler would use that name.

I do love the Moss Covered Three Handled Family Greundza. Non Sequitur Saturn is probably my second favorite wrestling character ever, after heel Steve Austin. That time he yelled "D-Von! Get the muffins!", oh man that was great.

Patriot's finisher names never bothered me, too much. The Patriot Missile was the diving shoulder block off the top, and Uncle Slam was the full nelson slam.

Guest BDC

IDRM makes a good point. Some japanese move names just boggle my mind. Space Tiger Drop is the first one that comes to mind that I can't stand.

Surprised no one has mentioned it, but I always thought the Pedigree was the dumbest name for a move ever.

I always thought the movie was supposed to get called that because you'd imagine the move smushing up a guy's face like all those ugly little pedigree rat-dogs.

Miracle Ecstacy - sounds like a drink for men who are just a *little* bit too manly for Zima.

I liked "Tazplex" and thought WWF should have run with it. It put Taz's suplexes above the rest. ALthough I suppose his nickname should have been "Human Tazplex Machine" rather than "suplex" but that would have sounded wierd, especially how they introduced him in ECW: "Ladies and Gentlemen, hailing from the Red Hook section of Brooklyn, NY, weighing 248 lbs, the Human Tazplex Machine. This is Taz!"

"Taz(z)mission" was kind of lame but what way better than "Katjihajime'" or how ever it's spelled.

Sasuke's move is the "Space Flying Tiger Drop"

You know, looking through the thread, half of these were probably deliberatly named as such because they sound corny. Like Hall's "NWO Black and White Edge" and Spanky's "Left Turn At Albequerque". Half of these are so lame they're almost cool.

"Shining Wizard" is just lame.

Ditto for the "Batista Bomb".

Alex Shelley uses some funky submission move called "It Came From Japan".

Also, Danny Doring used a top rope legdrop called "The Teabag".

I'd assume so.

I quite like the Test Drive, Twist of Fate and Poetry in Motion. Already used phrases just applied to moves.

As stupid as it sounds, the Space Flying Tiger Drop works for me.

You know what I never liked? Dates attached to moves. Like the Tiger Driver '91 or Tiger Suplex '85.

Any move with the prefix of "the big"... The Big Boot, The Big Elbow, The Big Legdrop...

I don't mind dates on moves in Japan, but I don't like it when other people do it, because it comes off like them trying to act Japanese. Low Ki for example, who tries to act Japanese in many ways. He irritates me by doing that and also by (though I've by no means closely followed his career) seemingly never losing. I've seen several of his matches and he lost once, after getting cracked in the dome with a ball bat. I'm sure he has his share of losses, but it comes off that way when you're not into the scene. He also looks like a monkey and talks with a ridiculous voice.

You know, looking through the thread, half of these were probably deliberatly named as such because they sound corny. Like Hall's "NWO Black and White Edge" and Spanky's "Left Turn At Albequerque". Half of these are so lame they're almost cool.

"Shining Wizard" is just lame.

Ditto for the "Batista Bomb".

Alex Shelley uses some funky submission move called "It Came From Japan".

Also, Danny Doring used a top rope legdrop called "The Teabag".

It Came from Japan is a Straight Jacket Northern Lights bomb.

Shelley's submission move is called the Border City Stretch.

I like The Corporate Elbow better than The People's Elbow.

Yep. Rock bottom wasnt bad either.

I quite like the Test Drive, Twist of Fate and Poetry in Motion. Already used phrases just applied to moves.

Bravo. That's the key I think is already used phrases as opposed to bad puns.

:cheers:

It was Uncle Slam for Patriot's full-nelson slam, a horrible pun indeed.

How about The Rebel Rack during Lex Luger's "Made in the U.S.A." repackage?