TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Mountie

Lame finisher names

Lane used to call the Torture Rack the "Rebel Rack" during Luger matches on CHVs. I can understand not wanting to call teh all American babyface's finisher "Torture" but calling it "rebel" to me makes me think of the Confederacy. I don't think Luger's character wished the South won the Civil War. Maybe I'm missing something or looking too deeply. Either way it was a lame name and "Human Torture Rack" or just "The Rack" was a much cooler name.

Everyone mentioned all the just Doring ones, but I know he and Roadkill had a double team move called the Buggy Bang. Honest.

God, I miss ECW.

As for worst, Marc Mero's Wild Thing would have to be up there.

what about their other tandem move, the Lancaster Lariat of Lust

Didn't TNA call Jerry Lynn's Piledriver the "Cradle of Filth" for a short time, not too long ago?

So in short, I wil add Baldo Bomb, Cradle of Filth, and Slopdrop.

I don't think so...though I haven't really sat down and watched TNA since before Lynn's injury leave following the World X-Cup, so maybe.

But why is it a bad name to you? I mean, it does make sense (Cradle of Filth is a pretty popular metal band, and Lynn is a well-known metalhead), but...okay, nevermind. It's a shitty name for the move, especially when it's been established for, oh...6 years already as just being called the CRADLE PILEDRIVER.

In XPW, I swear Johnny Webb used a move called the Welfare Check. I think it was a running powerslam swung into a DDT or something.

Guest Stunt Granny

To quote Michael Buffer "The Human Torture Rack...OF DOOOOOOM!!"

Man, I remember hating Stan Lane as an announcer a lot in WWF...that was a crappy time for WWF anyway, and I had no idea at the time that Lane had previously been an awesome tag team wrestler. He came off as this huge Lex Luger mark who seemed like he wanted to have gay sex with "the Rebel" Lex Luger, as he'd call him.

F-5 was pretty lame for a finisher that was pretty cool. I get where it comes from, but they still could've come up with something better.

Well, for some people before the move was named it was called the Brockbuster...

Better or worse?

I was all for Paul Heyman calling Albert's Baldo Bomb, the "Washooginator" for a few weeks during the summer of 2001.  It just had a certain ring to it, and sounded a lot better than Baldo Bomb. 

Actually, it was the Meshugganator, since Heyman had a strange preoccupation with putting over the fact that Albert is Jewish.

In response to some so-called crappy names:

Pearl River Plunge = named for Ahmed's kayfabed hometown of Pearl River, MS.

Shake, Rattle, and Roll = not only fit HTM's gimmick, but also made sense in the context of the move (Shake = he swung opponent's neck around to wind them up for the move, Rattle = the setup for the neckbreaker, Roll = he hits the move).

In response to some so-called crappy names:

Pearl River Plunge = named for Ahmed's kayfabed hometown of Pearl River, MS.

Shake, Rattle, and Roll = not only fit HTM's gimmick, but also made sense in the context of the move (Shake = he swung opponent's neck around to wind them up for the move, Rattle = the setup for the neckbreaker, Roll = he hits the move).

Thought of another one:

"The One And Only", used by "The One" Billy Gunn.

Not to be confused with Billy Gunn of the Smoking Gunns, Rockabilly, "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn, Mr. Ass, Billy of Billy & Chuck, "The Outlaw", or Kip James.

F-5 was pretty lame for a finisher that was pretty cool. I get where it comes from, but they still could've come up with something better.

Well, for some people before the move was named it was called the Brockbuster...

Better or worse?

Worse. Wrestler's should not use their names for finishers. The only good ones I can think of are the Walls of Jericho and the Rock Bottom.

Rey Mysterio in WWE has gotten some bad finisher names. I think West Coast Pop and Droppin da Dime are stupid.

Better or worse?

Worse. Wrestler's should not use their names for finishers. The only good ones I can think of are the Walls of Jericho and the Rock Bottom.

Guessing you didn't like Brock's submission finisher name, the Brock Lock (Either that side bear-hug or that weird one where he put the person's leg over the back of his neck) either.

El Matador - Flying Jalepeno

i coulda sworn that was a joke by Heenan. i can only remember it being said at RR '92. i am probably wrong though. :lol:

Flying Jalepeno was Heenan's joke name for Tito's flying elbow, if I remember correctly. El Paso del Muerte, which I think was a fist drop on a doubled over opponent, was his finisher as El Matador.

Calling Godfather's Death Valley Driver the Pimp Drop was uncreative as hell, same goes for Isaac Yankem's DDS DDT.

I think Dave Sullivan's Bunny Hop wins the thread though. Shitty finisher and a shitty name.

Guest xSarahx

Not exactly finishers but still weird names:

"Divorce Court" (Nigel McGuinness)

"Lung Blower" (John Walters)

"Gonorrhea" (Jimmy Rave)

I've just been waiting for Gabe to yell out "Gonorrhea DANNNNGERRROUUUUSSS" when he's doing commentary.