TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

The Official Sin City Thread

Oh, and Madsen was awful. he was so stilted.

I was cringing during his first scene, and quietly cheered when Bruce knocked him out.

Meanwhile..."Ow! Hey guys, do you think I need a doctor or something?"

The entire theater burst out laughing when the fist arrow hit.

"Hey!"

Guest TonyJaymzV1

god, i loved that movie so much. Mickey Rourke just comepletely owned in that movie, and it was obvisious the Marv story was the best story.

Personally, I'd have gone with A Dame to Kill For over Big Fat Kill, in terms of Dwight-ness. Still, Clive brought the character to life.

Oh, and Josh Hartnett was good in this movie. I have never, ever said that.

amazing film. Everyone did a fantastic job, for the roles they were given.

..I think I need a little time to be able to properly express how great the film was [although I can say right now that, every story was awesome, and EVERYONE cheered for the Alba/Willis scene... you know which]

Guest TonyJaymzV1
Josh Hartnett is a better actor than people want to admit he is.

i actually think he's a decent actor, its the movies he's in that I can't stand. Okay, I just remembered he was in Black Hawk Down, which I liked. Other than those two, I can't think of a good josh hartnett film.

I saw the first show at my local theatre last night. Great movie! After seeing it I took a look at the graphic novels and saw how close they were to the comic--which is just fucking spot on. My favorite story was Marv. This wasn't an actor playing Marv, this WAS Marv! They just took him off the page and put him onto the screen.

Some of the performances were a bit wooden (Jamie King, Brittany Murphy, and Madsen's first scene or two). Sadly there were only about two dozen people at the 6:45 show. And I say in front of a woman who laughed every time someone got grotesquely shot; annoying as hell.

Still, this was awesome, and I will be buying this on DVD. :headbang:

How many more Sin City stories are there to tell? And is Kevin in any more of them?

There are three more larger stories to tell. None of whom feature Kevin.

1. A Dame To Kill For: Is a backstory about Dwight. Tells why he changed his face, his history with Gail and Shelly, and his previous encounter with Manute. Also has a team-up with Dwight and Marv, which is awesome!

2. To Hell and Back: Story about an ex-special forces soldier named Wallace who gets caught up in a conspiracy of sorts. Naturally, it involves a woman. Not the best Sin City story, but still good. I think Rodriguez wanted to do this one first with Johnny Depp starring, but opted not to.

3. Family Values: A third Dwight story that takes place after Big Fat Kill. Dwight and Miho are assigned a mission and run into the mob. Pretty good story.

Besides those, there are only very one-shots that run as long as the opener in the film. Several do involve The Salesman (Hartnett's character) and an assasin named Blue Eyes; both of whom appear in To Hell and Back.

The movie was really cool I thought, but in some ways I think it needed to be slightly less like the comics. In terms of the constant narration I mean, at some point you gotta just let the movie tell itself without the voice over.

I actually dug the Dwight storyline in this movie, hell it was worth it for Del Toro's completely insane performance, haha. It was obvious that Tarantino directed the car scene, it was his style of bizarre closeups and such.

Marv was certainly the coolest character, but I think the Junior storyline is really what hits home the hardest. Here's some stuff to ponder:

When Hartigan goes to the farm at the end we see Kevin in a trance like state inside. Why is it that Kevin didn't DO anything once Hartigan started killing guards and cutting Junior's nuts off?

Oh, and one more question. Did Dwight stay in Old Town with Gail or did he go back to Shelly?

Josh Hartnett is a better actor than people want to admit he is.

i actually think he's a decent actor, its the movies he's in that I can't stand. Okay, I just remembered he was in Black Hawk Down, which I liked. Other than those two, I can't think of a good josh hartnett film.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I thought O was fucking great

I thought Hartnet did very well in Black Hawk Down. I think he just gets lopped in with these teeny love movies and people crap on him over that.

When Hartigan goes to the farm at the end we see Kevin in a trance like state inside. Why is it that Kevin didn't DO anything once Hartigan started killing guards and cutting Junior's nuts off?

He was reading his bible, maybe he couldn't be disturbed.

I loved every minute of it. My friend had read all the comic books so he knew what to expect and he promised it'd deliver.

The hottest nudity though was Marv's parole officer. She was fucking smoking.

This movie was like something straight out of my American Film Noir class. I loved how everything revolved around the femme fatale and nothing really ended happy.

Eh, I'd say the Dwight storyline ended pretty well for him and Gail. It was really the only one that ended in any kind of happy way.

That was Carla Gugino as the parole officer, and yes, she was smoking. She's the MOM from Spy Kids movies by the way.

This was a really wild movie, it was like a film noir done totally over the top on roids. As I said the only real problem I had was that it was kinda repetitive (a bunch of characters had their nuts cut off, there were a couple of beheadings, even the head into the toilet thing done twice).

I think this was better than Kill Bill, especially given the way Kill Bill ended in Vol. 2. As far as comparing it to Pulp Fiction though...let's give it about 10 years of perspective.

I loved how there was shit in the toilet that one time.

Oh and:

When marv drags the guys face as he's driving down the street. That was awesome.

That was Carla Gugino as the parole officer, and yes, she was smoking. She's the MOM from Spy Kids movies by the way.

CarlaGugino.jpg

:)

Dwight and that girl Miko working together to kill everyone- awesome.

You know that the picture thing is a psychological attempt to make yourself feel better about your own ineptness in various categories, right?

The hottest nudity though was Marv's parole officer. She was fucking smoking.

Yes, I was extolling the virtues of Carla's tits on page one.

You know a girl deserves your applause and respect when her goodies are so memorable, considering the fact that the movie also stars Jessica Alba.

You know that the picture thing is a psychological attempt to make yourself feel better about your own ineptness in various categories, right?

Yes.

Guest Ether

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it, will probably like it better when I catch it on DVD because of the multiple storylines and all the characters. glad I got to see it with the my visiting father and not my wife, who probably would not have liked it.

Does the girl in the first scene (with Josh Hartnet) show up anywhere else in movie? I haven't been able to figure out how his two scenes tie in the with the rest of the movie.

Happy religious types like doing movie reviews too! Here is what they thought of the flick. *I* thought is was great. I laughed a whole bunch the chicks were hot and the action was just as comic booky as I hoped. Bruce Willis scores his biggest point with me since the first Die Hard.

http://www.movieguide.org/index.php?s=reviews&id=6830

<< Back to Reviews

SIN CITY

Depraved Movie Lives Up to Its Title

Quality:

Released: Apr 1st, 2005

Starring: Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Benicio Del Toro, and Brittany Murphy

Genre: Thriller/Noir/Fantasy

Audience: Older teenagers and adults

Rating: R

Runtime: 172 minutes

Content:

(PaPaPa, RoRoRo, AbAb, B, LLL, VVV, SSS, NN, AA, DD, MMM) Pervasive pagan moral worldview with murder, revenge, corruption, and prostitution, and strong Romantic philosophy that pits the individual against an evil society, as well as anti-Christian content includes two corrupt or evil priests, both of whom are murdered (one inside a confessional), and light moral element man risks life to stop a pedophile and end governmental corruption; 33 obscenities, but no ‘f’ words, and eight strong profanities; gory, bloody violence includes many people being fatally shot with some body parts flying off, man dragged from car, crooked priest shot in confessional, people hit in head with sledgehammers and hatchets, men impaled, decapitations with a head that is bandied like a ball, cannibal keeps decapitated heads on his wall, dog eats at dead person, corpses are cut into pieces so they can be dumped, murderer is electrocuted by the state, gun backfires and becomes lodged in man’s head, pedophile’s genitalia is pulled off, suicide, man almost hanged, woman lashed, grenade explodes, people punched, man jumps through windshield, people smashed into wall, and men’s heads are held in toilet bowls; fornication depicted, pedophile kidnaps a girl but is prevented from harming her, many characters are prostitutes, and reference to priests using hookers; upper and rear female nudity; heavy alcohol use; prescription drug abuse and smoking; and, heavy governmental corruption, heavy corruption in the Catholic Church, cannibalism, pedophilia, revenge, and kidnapping.

Summary:

SIN CITY is a blisteringly violent movie with an anti-social, anti-Christian perspective. It weaves together three stories of sadistic men pursuing their own warped brands of justice in a depraved city. Become educated about what’s in this movie and don’t support it.

Reviewer:

Eddie Turner

Review:

SIN CITY is a different breed of comic book movie. There are no flashy costumes, there’s no Batmobile, and there is no hero. Instead of triumph, there is an endless barrage of evil acts and anti-biblical hedonism.

The movie is broken up into three parts which weave together loosely. Bruce Willis is John Hartigan, the only character who could be confused for a hero. Just before quitting the police force, he risks his life to stop a powerful man from molesting and murdering young girls. He succeeds in saving the girl, but he is framed for the crime and thrown into prison. The almost-victim never forgets his bravery and writes to him every week for twenty years. When he is released, he has to save her life again.

Marv is a disfigured mutant with a bad temper played, with lots of makeup and prosthetics, by Mickey Rourke. A beautiful woman named Goldie seems to be suddenly in love with him, then after one night of passion, she is murdered in his bed. Marv canvases the city to find out who killed Goldie. When he finds out, he unfolds a huge conspiracy that involves the government and the Catholic Church.

Lastly, Clive Owen’s character Dwight has to defend his girlfriend (Brittany Murphy) from her abusive and potentially insane ex-boyfriend Jack Rafferty (Benecio Del Toro). Dwight chases Jack all the way to Old Towne, which is policed by outlaws and a gang of hard-fighting prostitutes. After Jack pushes his luck and gets killed, Dwight realizes that Jack was a cop, and now he and the prostitutes have to hide the murder.

Already, then, SIN CITY seems depraved, but the truth is more extreme. Even an essentially good intentioned character like Bruce Willis’s John Hartigan uses sadistic and horrifically violent methods to fight the bad guys. Marv, who is out for revenge, not justice, drags a man from his car and shoots a corrupt, lying priest inside the confessional. This betrays not only a sociopathic thirst for violence from the filmmakers, but a cynical, extremely hostile view of religion. The bad guys are even worse, the highlight of which is Elijah Wood as a demon-like cannibal.

Perhaps more disturbing than the violence is the line of thought that undergirds this movie, that each man is utterly alone and therefore pitted against the rest of society. That is the lie of Romantic individualism. The Bible tells us that we are all part of the body of Christ and, by extension that we should exist in communities. As adopted sons of God, we are not individuals in the Romantic sense, but actual members of a family network. The dangerous individualism of SIN CITY teaches us that we cannot trust any man, which results in the amorality and paranoid violence exhibited in the movie.

On a craft level, SIN CITY is fairly accomplished. The black and white cinematography, with little splashes of color, is engrossing and truly succeeds in creating an alternate world for the audience. The three stories are stitched together very similarly to the three episodes in PULP FICTION, with some characters reappearing and a twisted chronology,

and the maneuver is again effective. It adds some complexity to the otherwise straightforward plot.

Although the dialogue is intentionally stilted, to ape film noir, the actors do some exceptional jobs bringing humanity and realism to their characters. Bruce Willis is especially good. His Detective Hartigan is not a cardboard cut-out but a real person struggling to do what he thinks is right. For all the flack he takes, Willis is actually a convincing actor who’s often very fun to watch. Most of the performances are good, which speaks to the directors’ and actors’ seriousness about this movie.

Filmmaking virtuosity aside, SIN CITY is despicable. It glamorizes and justifies its violence and anti-social behaviors to a highly successful degree. It is important that we who are educated about the issues to not support vile-spewing movies like this one.

In Brief:

SIN CITY is a different breed of comic book movie. There are no flashy costumes, no Batmobile, and no hero. Instead of triumph, there is an endless barrage of evil acts and hedonism. Three stories weave together: a retiring cop risks his life to stop a pedophile, a mutant goes looking for revenge but uncovers a huge conspiracy, and a violent man teams with prostitutes to hide a policeman’s murder. Even the good guys are horrifically violent, and the bad guys are revolting. The evil in this movie, which is shot in black and white with splashes of color, is shocking.

Filmmaking virtuosity aside, SIN CITY has a sociopathic thirst for violence and contains a cynical, extremely hostile view of religion. Also disturbing is the movie’s philosophy that each man is utterly alone and pitted against the rest of society. That is the lie of Romantic individualism. The Bible tells us that we are part of the body of Christ and, consequently, we should exist in communities. The dangerous individualism of SIN CITY teaches us that we cannot trust man, and it results in the amorality and paranoid violence exhibited in the movie.

Address Comments To:

Bob Weinstein and Harvey Weinstein

Dimension Films

99 Hudson Street, 5th Floor

New York, NY 10013

Phone: (212) 219-4100

Fax: (212) 941-3836

Distributor: Dimension Films/Miramax Films

Director: Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino

Executive Producer: Bob Weinstein and Harvey Weinstein

Producer: Elizabeth Avellan

Writer: Robert Rodriguez

There's no way the movie was 172 minutes. PROPAGANDA~!

Yeah, I liked it, but it definately was not the movie for my core group of friends. I'd agree that it was uneven(hi, Madsen), but the good outweighed the bad. One question: why did Michael Clarke Duncan have a Terminator eyeball?

Guest TonyJaymzV1
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH Cathotlic Bullshit

Wait, so they are saying it anti-christian to kill a cannibalistic priest and a priest covering up for said cannibalistic priest?

You know, it stuff like this that makes them look so hypocritical....we can't watch a moive called SIN CITY without some crazies saying it should have more God in it.

I'm catholic but man, religious people are fucked up in the head

from dvd.ign.com about the Sin City DVD:

April 01, 2005 - Director Robert Rodriguez has long been an innovator in the film industry. He's a master of shooting professional quality films at rock bottom prices ever since his $7,000 El Mariachi lit the industry aflame in the early 1990s.

Most directors have budget problems and difficultly staying within the allotted amount they are given, but Rodriguez often turns his films in for less than the amount the studio gave him, with execs having to encourage him to go back and spend more of their money.

On the DVD front, Rodriguez has been an innovator as well. A big movie fan and DVD fan himself, he's always done his best to pack in as many features as possible so that fans get their money's worth when they pick up one of his discs. Each one of his DVDs thus far has included a ten minute film school, in which Rodriguez reveals some secrets from the making of his films and gives tips to prospective film auteurs of the future.

On From Dusk Till Dawn, Rodriguez gave a documentary crew full access to the production and released a feature-length film on the making of the movie, called Full Tilt Boogie. This was included with the two-disc special edition of Dawn on DVD.

For Sin City, which is about to hit theaters on April 1, Rodriguez already has some exciting new features planned for that DVD. We spoke with Rodriguez at the Four Seasons this past weekend and he gave some details on the upcoming Sin City DVD.

Sin City is based on three graphic novels by Frank Miller (who also co-directed the project). For the feature film, Rodriguez and Miller tied the three books together so that they could flow together as one movie. For the DVD, however, viewers will have the option of watching the whole film together or watching each book separately as they appeared in the novels, complete with new footage.

"We shot the full stories of the books," Rodriguez says. "And I knew we could truncate it down, we weren't going to lose any scenes. Eventually they would all be available for people to see. The DVD will come out with the theatrical cut, and then there will be a separate disc that's got the individual episodes separate with their own title card and you could just watch The Big Fat Kill from beginning to end in its full cut as a single story and then switch over and watch The Yellow Bastard, and that's 45 minutes. It will have all the material back in, so it will be like the experience of picking up the books where you pick up one story and you read it from beginning to end and it will have all the material in it. So you can kind of shuffle your own version of the movie and just watch them all separately."

The stories will feature additional scenes that will be familiar to fans of the graphic novels. "There were some things we had cut out from [Yellow Bastard] just to pace it for a feature because they weren't supposed to be three stories put together when he first wrote them, they were all separate books. So [there were] things to sort of pace it for a feature and keep it on a through line… Mickey Rourke doesn't go visit his mom now like he did in the book and get his gun, but we shot all that and it's all great stuff. It just wasn't necessary for the feature. You wanted to be more direct in that. It's not gonna feel like, when you watch that separate disc with this material back in like, 'Oh, I can see why that was cut.' They are really terrific scenes, action scenes, a lot of stuff that people will find. I think it's going to be somewhat revolutionary to see those scenes that were cut out [to] be put back in another format, because they seem perfectly fine and they work, they just needed to be taken out for the long haul of a feature."

Rodriguez says that planning for this feature ahead of time gave them an extra freedom during production. "It really gives it another life and another experience more akin to reading the books by doing that. That's what made it easier for us to say, 'Lets just shoot everything, prepare all the effects, and then if we edit stuff out, we're not really cutting it out and people are never going to see it. They'll be able to see it in a purer form in a different format."

The separate stories will be available together with the theatrical feature in one set. "Yes, in a package and then I'm gonna have another 10 minute, it'll be a 20 minute film school probably for this one because there's so many things. And I'll have another 10 minute cooking school. It will be Sin City breakfast tacos. (Laughs) We'll show you how to make a homemade flour tortilla and the best meal you can probably ever learn."

Awesome.

OMFG this movie kicked SOOOOOOOOO much ass. So glad they're doing all the Sin City stories.

"I dunno about you, but I'm having a blast."