TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

The Chronic and Doggystyle.

No one talks about g-funk anymore. I've been listening to Doggystyle endlessly lately, and it's even superceded The Chronic in my estimation. The album is more consistent, the guest appearances are used better, and Dr. Dre's improved beats make up for his absence as an emcee. "Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None)" is still the loosest, most exuberantly obscene posse track I can remember.

I don't have a good feel for how many people here dig these still-remarkable albums. Often they seem to get overlooked in whatever rap threads spring up, and I wonder if that's because they're just assumed as classics, or if their reputations have fallen off over time thanks to the string of diluted follow-ups. So?

Add me to the list of those who think Doggystyle is better. The Chronic started G-funk, but Doggystyle perfected it. I just wish Snoop would rap like he used to. We all know he's fucking sick when he wants to be. Just DO IT, Snoop.

I was always a bigger fan of Doggystyle out of the two, though i haven't listened to either, particularly The Chronic, in far too long. Either way both are right at the top of my favorite albums of any genre, this threads as good a reason as any for me to finally get around to listening to them again.

Thats the thing about your first album. You have notebooks of every lyric you had ever written sitting around waiting for you to get signed. So you pull all the best verses and lines that you have and put them on that album....then...well...you got nothing else. THats what has happened to Snoop. I think he gave us all he had on his first album.

And yeah, I think overall Doggystyle was better than the Chronic. But not by that much...of course I am probably saying that because of my love affair with "Escape from Deathrow".

Guest Syxx

I agree, I have always preferred Doggystyle to The Chronic (though they are both exceptional albums). G-Funk is by far my favorite style of rap, and Warren G has put out some really good albums in his time as well. Nate Dogg's "G-Funk Classics Volumes 1 and 2" was also really good.

I knew that somebody would say that Snoop fell off after Doggystyle, but I don't concur. I'm aware that this is the popular belief, but in my opinion Snoop was tight on both Dogg Food and Tha Doggfather. Not only that, but the tracks that Dre produced on "No Limit Top Dogg" contained some vintage Snoop. These days, I think that Snoop prefers the laidback soft flow because thats the type of rapping he enjoys. Lets be honest, Snoop is not only in his mid 30's but has been rich and away from the streets for about 13 years now. His tastes have changed and he has become accustomed to a certain way of life. It reminds me of the Metallica situation.

I favored the Chronic, but I think the reason for this is because it came out first and the sounds were just so amazing.

And the start of Gin and Juice with the guy peeing still makes me cringe a little, especially if I'm drinking something when it happens.

Now let's all tak about the Doggfather...

what albums are better? NWA's "Straight Out of Compton" or "NIGGAZ4LIFE"?

Those are my two favorite CDs from those two. And two of the best albums ever.

I consider them equal. Compton is way more important, but objectively, after the flawless opening of the first three songs, the rest is almost a let down. Niggaz is more consistent and a lot more offensive, which is good. Personally, I think Amerikkka's Most Wanted is better than either.

Staight Out of Compton by far, but IDRM's right about the album dropping off after the first three songs. However, there were only a few tracks on N4L that I cared to listen to.

Amerikka's Most Wanted is good, but I like Death Certificate better -- Talks about killing Jews (well, just one) and burning down Korean stores. Can't beat that.

One old Ice Cube song that's a guilty pleasure is Jackin' For Beats. The video was funny as well...

So, does Dre write any of his own lyrics? Or does he just rely on ghostwriters all the time?

Not that any of you would really know, but some of you seem to know a lot about rap, and I was wondering.

So, does Dre write any of his own lyrics? Or does he just rely on ghostwriters all the time?

Not that any of you would really know, but some of you seem to know a lot about rap, and I was wondering.

Ghostwriters writes Dre's lyrics, D.O.C wrote majority of "The Chronic."

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's "E 1999 Eternal" was a damn good CD. Too bad they haven't done shit since then.

They are from Ohio. I don't think that counts as west coast.

I still say bone had 3 good albums and then it was all over.

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's "E 1999 Eternal" was a damn good CD.  Too bad they haven't done shit since then.

Yea, Bone had like 3 good albums and that was it.

Faces of Death

Creepin on the Come up

E. 1999 Enternal

Art of War was ok because the 2pac collabo other than that it wasn't that good.

I have never heard either of the title albums of this thread in their entirety, but I suspect I wouldn't enjoy them as much as others here, as the g-funk sound never exactly got my panties moist.

Staight Out of Compton by far, but IDRM's right about the album dropping off after the first three songs. However, there were only a few tracks on N4L that I cared to listen to.

Express Yo' Self, is easily overlooked as a great song, and a great beat.

Everyone praises Easy-E, Dre, and Ice Cube, but MC Ren I thought was the best rapper in the group.

Not a bad song, although my favorite on that album is "Today was a good day," which has "And my Jimmy runs deep," one of my all-time favorite edited lyrics.

Did you ever hear the remix of Express with "The Message" sample?...

Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's "E 1999 Eternal" was a damn good CD.  Too bad they haven't done shit since then.

Yeah, but their sound had elements of G-Funk in it, plus Eazy-E was a big influence on their career. The "Creepin on ah Come Up" EP is good and if Art of War was a single disc it would be pretty good too.