TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
natey2k4

Should all PPV matches have build up videos?

Alright the Question of the Day returns here with a new question.

Should each and every WWE PPV Match have a build up video before the match is shown?

I just got this question from watching No Mercy 2004 and seeing the hype video for Kidman/London. It made the feud seem all that more important.. and really seemed to make the match much more important. Should even jobber matches like say for example, Chris Masters v. Steven Richards, get a hype video? Regardless of the length of the match, or the "feud" (feud being Richards is jobber material for Masters to kill) would it make the match/wrestler seem more important if it showed highlight clips?

The whole video would consist of Masters continously Masterlocking people and winning, until he brings up the point that if anyone can escape they win $1000. Then clipping away to Steven Richards winning a match or two on Heat. It could have Richards say something along of the lines of he'll be the first one to escape the Masterlock (could be as little pre-pared as the Heat before the PPV) followed by showing Masters defeating all the people he's beat once again.

Not to metion when younger fans look back, it'll make them think all the wrestlers were important, instead of just one or two. And if they were still around, it would make them more interested.

I don't know just a question and something to think of.

No. They should not have hype videos at all on the PPVs. Put those things on Heat (which they already do) and don't waste time on the shows with the videos.

For example, if they cut the videos from WrestleMania there'd be extra time for Cena/JBL to not be cut to 11 minutes, plus if those videos and 5 minutes were shaved off Hogan's ego-stroking pose-a-thon then Eddie/Rey and the ladder match would have both had some extra time to work with.

The videos are awesome, but they shouldn't be on PPV at all. Leave them on Heat and throw them in a special section of the DVD.

To officially answer the question: if they can fit all of the videos on Heat and still have time for one match, then give them all videos.

Jason

Guest hhheld_down

showing hype videos for every match would take up too much time, maybe showing a couple clips from previous shows to show how the less important matches came to be during wrestler entrances could work. ppv matches in general should all have some kind of build up to them (at least 2 weeks IMO) but i think only the ME and more hyped matches should have hype videos, doesnt waste alot of time that could be given to wrestling

Guest LooneyTune

Short answer: No

Long answer: No. When there are only 3 matches worth ordering, why even bother making video packages with the other 4 matches that have no build up? What are they going to do, randomly put in stock footage of older crap to fill up space?

For example, if they cut the videos from WrestleMania there'd be extra time for Cena/JBL to not be cut to 11 minutes, plus if those videos and 5 minutes were shaved off Hogan's ego-stroking pose-a-thon then Eddie/Rey and the ladder match would have both had some extra time to work with.

Or, maybe, not give HHH/Batista nearly 35 minutes (match time, entrances, video), or not have 6 minutes of stalling from Show/AKebono, or no Show/Akebono period.

I dont know the matches just seem a HELL of a lot more important with hype videos. Yeah, maybe throw them on Heat, but I think they should all get hype videos, because it makes the matches seem important. Some people only watch PPVs, and not the TV Shows... and other older fans looking back, could be like oh wow.. these guys actually meant something.

While I guess it would take up alot of time, use them on Heat and throw every match a Hype Video (which could be inserted Pre-Match on the DVDs).

Every match having a short hype video would be okay by me, they aren't that long and they make people far more interested in the matches.

How can they do hype videos when the matches were just announce one week before the event?

They'll do a single confrontation to build it up, then recut it, play "dramatic" music in the background, add FX to the footage like slo-mo, black and white, extra impact to hits and punches, etc. Overlay a blurb from the wrestlers and/or JR, and there ya go.

Guest LooneyTune

Videos should only be done for the big matches, which adds "Drama" to the anticipation. Why would anyone care for a video package for something like Kane/Viscera (which sadly, might happen at Backlash).

Guest MikeSC
Videos should only be done for the big matches, which adds "Drama" to the anticipation. Why would anyone care for a video package for something like Kane/Viscera (which sadly, might happen at Backlash).

Because it'd show some serious chtuzpah on the part of the WWE to make it seem more epic.

-=Mike

Guest LooneyTune

OK, here's a better example: Tajiri vs. Coach at last years Backlash. How do you make THAT seem important?

Guest MikeSC
OK, here's a better example: Tajiri vs. Coach at last years Backlash. How do you make THAT seem important?

Because it's...

Damn, totally empty.

But I'm not the creative genius the WWE writers are.

-=Mike

No.

For some matches, like "special bonus matches!" that are added come the actual PPV, there would be nothing to show and for other smaller matches, that at times can be added a week before the event with one confrontation isn't worth the time. Althought I think they did one for the Christian/Jericho ladder match at Unforgiven after about one segment on Raw the previous week.

However, build up videos should be shown before the big matches on the card. One with actual build up that people care about. I really love the build up video they have and think they're a good reminder of the feuds leading up to the matches.

Fuck video packages all together. They need to get back to basics. Just show raw footage from each confrontation between the the two opponents like they used to do. It doesn't have to be pumped full of digital affects and 'epic' music. The problem is that they're just stale and they need a fresh feel.

Epic music videos for the top 2 or 3 matches are fine or even for a long running-undercard feud like Kidman/London was. Some simple b-roll highlights before/during entrances for the rest of the matches are fine. If EVERY match gets an epic buildup, none of the matches would seem epic anymore.

Guest Ransome

I'd limit it to three buildup videos per pay per view.

You simply cannot do away with them altogether. In particular, when you're watching an old tape/DVD of a pay per view, the buildup videos are invaluable as sometimes the *only* reminder of why the wrestlers are feuding in the first place.

Also, the WWE production team has created some excellent video packages in the past - no sense in wasting them.

The lower card videos would of course seem "less" epic, and be more just showing clips to make the match seem somewhat important and make the match seem like it should be on the PPV or at least has a reason to be there,.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I agree with ISF.

Use the videos to hype up the matches before the PPV, but at the PPV, just have the matches.

The people who order PPVs A) have already seen all the build up and B) are more interested in the in-ring product. Its better to satisfy the audience.

This isn't a huge problem on the brand exclsuive shows, because generally those shows have a lot of filler as it is (take Backlash, its a week away and we only know half the card, half of it will be filler).

But, for the major PPVs, there is limited time, and it would be best for them to just have the matches, and the fun bacstage skits with guys from RAW running into guys from SD.

I like the idea of having the videos as an option on the DVDs.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

You shouldn't have hype for everything because people will become desensitized to it.