TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Team Angle Pusher

What's the purpose?

What's the purpose of the Masterlock Challenge and Kurt Angle's Medal Challenge, or Matt Morgan's challenge? It has to lead to SOMETHING but I don't think it is, I think the writers just don't know what to do with them so they let them do squash matches. Where do these challenges lead to?

For Angle, its to give him a role on SmackDown without having him wrestle a 10 minute match every week, because we all know his physical condition.

For Masters, its also to keep him out of the ring, not because he isn't physically able to wrestle a match a week, but simply because he sucks serious balls.

^ yup, it keeps the guys fresh in our minds while not exposing them as piss poor workers week after week...once Masters is decent enough, someone will finally break the Masterlock...

I'm pretty sure the the Kurt Angle challenge started out as a way to keep Angle on TV while he was working with an injury. As far as Chris Masters, I think it's just a way to get him TV time without the "boring chants" that accompany his matches. Also management probably thinks its a great way to get him heat.

As far as to where they lead I'm pretty sure management really doesn't worry about it untill the time comes, and usually there is no clear reason for them. I heard somewhere the Angle challenge was ssuppose to lead to Puder's debut, but it never happened and he was at the rumble.

Indeed,the initiation segment of the rumble was next to priceless...that Hassan getting screwed by the heels and faces....and of course Londons insane death bump.

Guest Ransome
What's the purpose of the Masterlock Challenge and Kurt Angle's Medal Challenge, or Matt Morgan's challenge? It has to lead to SOMETHING but I don't think it is, I think the writers just don't know what to do with them so they let them do squash matches. Where do these challenges lead to?

I imagine a debuting wrestler will break Kurt Angle's Invitational, and if I had to hazard a guess, Dan Puder would be the obvious choice. They already have a history, and wearing Angle's medals to the ring would at least give him a nice kickstart into WWE and an insta-feud with Angle that could extend onto a pay per view or two.

As for Chris Masters: Most likely a powerhouse wrestler is dressed in civilian attire in the crowd. I guess the most recent precedent is Rodney Mack's 'White boy' challenge ended by Goldberg. I imagine the stakes will keep increasing until the money is actually worth winning, which unfortunately means many more weeks of these channel-change-inducing segments.

I liked the Angle thing, when I thought they were going somewhere with it, now it's just another meaningless Smackdown segment. I understand that the guy isn't working much, but this is getting stupid...

...as is the Masterlock challenge, it's a friggin full nelson, and the guy doesn't look near as cut as he did in his hype videos. Just another awful segment that could be used to get other workers on tv. He's not getting any more over with this,.

I think the teaming up was a good thing. It validated him in his bitching about "American values", whether or not it was right or not.

Well at least it ment a little something more when the heels and faces teamed up. It's way better to have people team up for a reason other then...we are both heels so we are automatically friends. Or... well we have been enemys for several years now, but now i'm a face so lets team up with no explanation. I'm a firm believer that heels should only team up with each other when there is something to be gained. Faces need a little less explaining, because the can help each other out simply because "it's the right thing to do" explanation.

As for Hassan he hates everyone simply because they are Americans, or allies to Americans. Therefore anyone (face or heel) who has those values should be against him.

I think its funny that seemingly everyone who has a full nelson as there finishing move at one point or another claim that no one can ever break out of it. Didnt this lead to Hercules & Billy Jack Haynes match at Wrestlemania 3, the fact that both guys claimed that no one could break out of there Full Nelsons?

idnt this lead to Hercules & Billy Jack Haynes match at Wrestlemania 3, the fact that both guys claimed that no one could break out of there Full Nelsons?

Sure did. A really really horrible match.

Just a quick question, what kind of challenge has Morgan been doing?

I liked the Angle thing, when I thought they were going somewhere with it, now it's just another meaningless Smackdown segment. I understand that the guy isn't working much, but this is getting stupid...

...as is the Masterlock challenge, it's a friggin full nelson, and the guy doesn't look near as cut as he did in his hype videos. Just another awful segment that could be used to get other workers on tv. He's not getting any more over with this,.

Not trying to defend Masters or anything, but these are my observations.

1) When he first debuted, he didn't look like he did in the video at all. These days, he looks a lot more ripped. It must've been body oil or some major editing.

2) A full nelson, when applied right, can hurt a lot. I remember they tried to get it over as the move that could break Brock Lesnar's neck last year when applied by Hardcore Holly. I have always thought though, a better idea for the move was to transitition it into a camel clutch. Get them down on their belly, sit on their back, and lock in the full nelson. I've been in that, and that hurts like a bitch.

Guest JebusNassedar

Not trying to defend Masters or anything, but these are my observations.

1) When he first debuted, he didn't look like he did in the video at all. These days, he looks a lot more ripped. It must've been body oil or some major editing.

2) A full nelson, when applied right, can hurt a lot. I remember they tried to get it over as the move that could break Brock Lesnar's neck last year when applied by Hardcore Holly. I have always thought though, a better idea for the move was to transitition it into a camel clutch. Get them down on their belly, sit on their back, and lock in the full nelson. I've been in that, and that hurts like a bitch.

Never mind that it's stunningly easy to actually escape from a full nelson. If you can clasp your hands, all you have to do is bend over. They get thrown off balance and the hold gets broken.

At least Masters is using a correct overhand/underhand grasp when locking it in. The worst way to do the move is interlocking your fingers. That makes the move very weak at that point, not strong like the o-hand/u-hand.

I think Masters' challenge is also trying to establish the move, you know.........because it is a frigging full-nelson as a finisher.

Chris Benoit is going to try and break the Masterlock, even if he doesn't succeed. I can see him challenging Masters to break his Crippler Crossface, which Masters doesn't succeed in doing. Which leads to a PPV match... possibly a submission match.

There you go, WWE give me the book.

What's Morgan's challenge?

nonthing. just some guy who squashes jobbers for no reason.

The WWE is challenging a guy with no personality to get an awful ga-ga-ga-ga-gimmick over

At least Masters is using a correct overhand/underhand grasp when locking it in. The worst way to do the move is interlocking your fingers. That makes the move very weak at that point, not strong like the o-hand/u-hand.

I think Masters' challenge is also trying to establish the move, you know.........because it is a frigging full-nelson as a finisher.

But Gorilla used to teach us that the fingers must be locked :huh:

I think even without kayfabe faces and heels should have different 'values'.

You act as if there's never been a time when an unconventional pair, trio, or Whole Damn Ring works together to throw someone out of the Royal Rumble.

I think even without kayfabe faces and heels should have different 'values'.

You act as if there's never been a time when an unconventional pair, trio, or Whole Damn Ring works together to throw someone out of the Royal Rumble.

I don't actually care about values, man.