TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LaParkaYourCar

Harry Potter Movies

For the record, I agree that Hermione getting that line was something I would not have done, and Ron should've been allowed to say it in the movie.

There is the scene in POA where she freaks out in Divinations, and the movie does touch on her stressfulness. Plus, when she punches Malfoy he had called her a mudblood and she had just witnessed Buckbeak's death, so she was on edge.

Hermione punching Malfoy might be the best moment ever

Don't you see, bob, that you're using the book to explain the movie?

This has become an issue to me, that those of us who've read the book know exactly why everything is happening, but those who haven't, don't. They may know what, but it's not explained.

199657.jpg

For those complaining about Snape's Worst Memory, here is a production photo taken during filiming, showing that Lily did indeed make an apperance. Hopefully, the expanded scene will be in the DD (either deleted or extended cut).

I wonder if they intentionally tried to make Snape look like a young Harry or if it was only me who thought the two look similar. I don't wanna rehash the argument about what they took out or added, but I really, really think they should've added that scene. I thought one of the rules of storytelling in any medium was never waste an opportunity to develop a character, especially one who is so important to the plot, as Snap is.

I thought that the young James looked a lot like the young Tom Riddle from CoS. As for why they cut this out (there were also pics of McGonagal in a wheelchair reading the prophet, which makes me think that the attack on her was filmed as well), it was probably a time issue, and the scenes will be on the DVD.

For those of you who thought that they butchered the book they didn't. The idea of a movie is to get all the main points to the plot down and to make it entertaining for us to watch. If I had to watch Daniel Radcliff walking down every corridor like in the novel I would have to shoot the director that made him do it. I thought OotP was a good movie. It was comical and got all the main important parts of the story right. They could have added a little to the snape memory but I thought it was sufficient. Also why make a book the exact same as on the screen. Directors don't make films to follow a script, they like to make a piece of art, just like the writers do when comming up with the novel. So why make the same piece of art twice? I thought the ending scene was a bit overdone when harry said he felt sorry for voldemort, especially since that progresses further into the plot later in HBP. However I thought they did that scene very well. It added more depth to the film and added interest to the viewer. Because now you want to see the sixth and seventh movie more. Harry's feelings towards voldemort are meant to change a little in the novel. He is meant to understand what has happened to voldemort to make him feel and act that way. This wasn't supposed to happen until HBP though which angered me a little. The only problems I have ever had with the movies is that the three main actors don't do their job. Emma Watson although attractive does not act at all. She tries to but it is too forced and she always looks like she is throing the words out of her mouth the way her head moves. Rupert Grunt sucks at acting. He's too outrageous, he wasn't much of a problem for me in this film though. Daniel Radcliff can't really act but does a decent job most of the time, except for GoF which was by far the worst of all the films. The acting I thought was much better in this film then it was in all the previous films however. I think the director did a good job in making the film entertaining and I hope that they use the same one in the next two films.

The Lily stuff was probably filmed for the Deathly Hallows movie for "The Prince's Tale" chapter(Where this scene is revisited). To me, it makes perfect sense as a big part of movies is suspense and that scene in its entirity might be too much of a giveaway. It really should have been done that way in the book, IMO.

No I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be Snape's Worst Memory. Why would they film stuff for Deathly Hallows this soon? Daniel would look different by the time the DH movie is made.

Bartok I take it you've read the book so it's easier for you to like the movie because you know the info they left out. I talked to someone who never read the book and watched the movie and he was totally lost and disappointed in the movie because nothing was really explained very well.

Harry Potter and the HBP is coming out November of 08. I always thought it was 09 (since it has been every two years, expect between 1 and 2). PoA came out in July of 03 and GoF came out in November of 05. More than 2 years.

Are they just trying to release it quickly before everyone "forgets" about the books? (though I don't think HP will ever be forgotten)

From Mugglenet:

UPDATE: Empire Online is now quoting WB as saying "no decision has been made," in part because no script exists yet. Steve Kloves cannot begin work on the Deathly Hallows script because of the US writer's strike. We'll let you know more once we hear it!

I don't see it. I could see a 3+ hour long movie; I can even see a 2 hour movie- because they can cut enough out. But I don't see two movies.

Let's look at some precursors: how much money did Kill Bill make? I know Grindhouse did pretty poorly.

Good news about HBP coming out in November. That'll be a birthday present for me.

Where would be the cut off for the two movies?

The trio getting captured and brought to Malfoy Manor probably makes the most sense, because then the first half would be:

Fight in the sky, wedding (minor stuff), Kreacher's allegiance, Magic is might, Ron leaving, Godric's Hollow, Ron's return and the destruction of the locket, visiting Xeno Lovegood and then captured.

That would line up the second half as:

Dobby's death, Gringott's break-in, Battle of Hogwarts, Snape's tale, Harry walking to his death, final battle with Voldemort...maybe the epilogue?

I have to say, I would rather see them essentially act out the book, because anything getting cut would be hard to do (aside from the opening chapter and they could probably cut down the time spent at the Lovegood's house). I'd prefer two movies.

Screw tags.

WARNING IF YOU HAVEN'T READ TEH BOOK DON'T READ THIS!!!!

When the Trio gets back together would be a solid ending, happy, but foreshadowing what they need to do in the future...

Where would be the cut off for the two movies?

The trio getting captured and brought to Malfoy Manor probably makes the most sense, because then the first half would be:

Fight in the sky, wedding (minor stuff), Kreacher's allegiance, Magic is might, Ron leaving, Godric's Hollow, Ron's return and the destruction of the locket, visiting Xeno Lovegood and then captured.

That would line up the second half as:

Dobby's death, Gringott's break-in, Battle of Hogwarts, Snape's tale, Harry walking to his death, final battle with Voldemort...maybe the epilogue?

I have to say, I would rather see them essentially act out the book, because anything getting cut would be hard to do (aside from the opening chapter and they could probably cut down the time spent at the Lovegood's house). I'd prefer two movies.

You know...that would actually work.

They need to end it with Harry/Hermy at Godric's Hollow. Harry gets almost killed by the snake, his wand breaks, etc. It looks like they are doomed.

Then start the next movie with Harry following the doe and finding Ron. A fresh start to a new movie.

I like Mole's idea. Plus it'll likely make people read the book to find out what happens. Not that Rowling needs any more money, the damn succubus, but people should read more.

Isn't this report from some London tabloid? I'd wait for more sources to report this before I believed it as fact.

Personally, I hope they keep it as one movie. If they were going to start this business of splitting each book into two movies, then they should have started at movie 3 or 4 (like they considered) not at the very end.

They shouldn't make them two movies, it wil just be overly long and bloated, which is what the movies should try to avoid.

Granted, I haven't read the 7th book, so I understand if my point is not valid, but they made the other movies into one, they surely can make this one

Bob, I'm sure they could do it in one movie, even if it ended up beeing 2:30+.

And again, all of this is conjecture. They don't even have a screenplay yet (writer's strike).

They shouldn't make them two movies, it wil just be overly long and bloated, which is what the movies should try to avoid.

Granted, I haven't read the 7th book, so I understand if my point is not valid, but they made the other movies into one, they surely can make this one

There is too much stuff in the 7th book. Every little thing, except

them doing nothing in the woods

, is important to the plot. They got away with that with the earlier movies, but they won't be able to with this one. There will be PLENTY of stuff to cover two movies. Thinking about everything in the book, I can't see them cutting it down to just 2:30. Hell, even the last battle is worthy of 30 minutes.

You got:

The escape of Dudleys

The Wedding

Grimmauld Place

The Ministry

Some Camping time

Godric's Hollow

The Doe

The Lovegoods

Trio Getting Captured

Bill and Fleur's

Hogwarts

Snape's Memories (which is VERY important. They can't cut this or even edit it. Without it, most of the plot won't be explained correctly)

Harry Going to his death

King's Cross

The Final Battle

Epilogue

And you have all the little scenes with Harry seeing what Voldy is doing.

Wayyyy too much stuff there. Do the book some justice and not have it be "the movie based on HP."

And yes bob, you haven't read the books. You have no idea what happens.