TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Chris Masters

I am actually liking Chris Masters. I know that nearly everyone on the internet hates him but I dig it. The music is pretty cool for an entrance. For some reason the gimmick just clicks for me. I know most people hate the gimmick, but I like it.

I dig the gimmick.

People just don't have patience and want a big payoff now.

I think the person that breaks the masterlock is gonna be made into a star if handled correctly. But knowing WWE booking, Shane McMahon will break it.

If he just *has* to be on the show, it's a much better use for him than wrestling.

And I do dig the music... sounds like something Graeme Norgate would right (who did the music for Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and the Timesplitters games).

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think he's a complete waste but I guess if I'm going to watch the WWF I just have to accept it because more and more of the OVW guys will just be bodybuilders they're trying to convert into wrestlers.

The only way they could have made people interested in him is to say he was Batista's old workout buddy. Or they could have him in a gym, with Triple H checking him out and finding him impressive.

Not a fan, but his promo skills are pretty good. Comparatively speaking that is.

I agree. Master's looks like one of the most comfortable guys on the mic these days. I like these Masterlock segments better than the run-of-the-mill squash matches they had him doing for the first week or two.

It's a Lex Luger gimmick without the mirror and with a different finisher. I liked it better with the metal plate bionic forearm. His promos are just the Simon Dean promos only instead of "You are too fat HAR HAR" it's "You aren't strong HAR HAR".

It's the exact same as the Dean segments only instead of Simon System products, he's offering $1000. Like a mix between Lex Luger, Simon Dean and Tiger Ali Singh.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The money thing is a big problem I have with the gimmick. This isn't 1985 when $1000 was considered to be a lot of money.

Well, to be fair...each week he's bumped up the money.

First time, it was $1,000

Then, in England, it was 1,000 pounds, which equals about $2,000.

Back in the states, it was $3,000...and this past week $4,000

Guest Salacious Crumb

It still isn't much. The bar has been so raised by other shows that he needs to be giving out more like $10,000 for people to buy into it.

Guest Trivia247

They got a few things going for them and against them.

Chris Masters, despite the build up doesn't look all that margially buffer or more built than other WWE wrestlers on either brands, so he isn't standing out.

His wresting, I all seen him do is squash Stevie Richards..

What they are doing is something really oldschool they are dragging out his push through these segments, almost million dollar manish with these challenges for money and of course he prevailing each week, thats something on his side. He has decent mic skills so that goes for him. He made the good ol Full Nelson actually look dangerous again.

so its a mixed bag

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I hate the gimmick, and the Masters himself is nothing to be excited about in the ring.

I do think he seems comfortable on the mic, so thats good for the future. And the Masterlock challenge is a good way to get over a boring finishing move.

I just dont see him getting over once he has to start wrestling again.

While $1000 ain't alot of money, for some common fan.. if they were to be picked, $1000 is enough. I mean if it were a PPV it'd pay for your ticket and give you spending money.. so while its not alot, its still a good chunk of money.

It still isn't much. The bar has been so raised by other shows that he needs to be giving out more like $10,000 for people to buy into it.

To be fair, he only had a job for a few weeks and with no backstory, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for this guy to have 10K cash just lying around for his challenge.

But I do agree with everyone, 1000 bucks, while I would definately prefer it in my pocket over yours, doesn't mean a damn thing in this day and age.

But... it's supposed to be his personal money he's giving away. I mean, are we suppossed to believe that an undercard wrestler keeps that much cash around?

As for my opinion of Masters.. I don't really care for him in any way, but he carries himself well both in the ring and on the mic. He may not be really good at anything but he isn't really bothering me right now. I actually like the Masterlock chalenge. It'd be great if a few undercard faces tried the challenge and failed.

The only thing I will give Masters is that he's fairly competent behind the mic, but I haven't been impressed by what I've seen from his wrestling abilities. I laughed when the crowd gave him a boring chant about 5 seconds into a minute squash.

The whole Masters Lock Challenge is probably the smartest thing WWE can do with him if they want to keep him on TV since it gives him exposure and plays to his strength behind the mic without exposing his lack of in-ring skills.

I don't detest it like the rest of the internet does. I think the net doesn't like it because they have seen it before with guys like Dibase. However, it's an old school way of getting someone over. I rather this than him getting a Brock Lesnar push out of nowhere.

He's still undefeated but the problem is that other than Richards, he hasn't wrestled a WWE superstar under contract. The Masterlock challenge is a good way to keep him on TV and give him exposure while he brushes up on his ring skills.

I predict him having matches with uppercard talent soon.

Actually.. yeah... this is really qute old school. Like the Iron Sheik swinging those things in Watt's promotion.

Actually.. yeah... this is really qute old school. Like the Iron Sheik swinging those things in Watt's promotion.

...Now I want Muhammad Hassan to bring the Iranian Clubs to the ring with him.

He looks comfortable enough on the mic and at least he makes the Full Nelson look like it hurts. But it's still a repackaged gimmick, with the repackaged Hercules/Billy Jack Haynes storyline and the repackaged 'offer plants in the crowd a chance to get in the ring and make the marks think they could be picked' deal they've done before.

I agree with everyone else though, $1,000 is plenty to start this. It's booked so that as Masters' confidence grows, he puts more and more on the line. Hopefully when he loses, they do some skits where he's flat broke from losing $20,000 or some such amount when it's finally broken.