TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

Your favorite player that isn't a superstar

Just a player that really isn't a big name, but is still a favorite of yours? Mine would be...

NBA: Matt Harpring

NFL: Ken Hamlin

MLB: Yhency Brazoban

Eric Piakowski, Chris Andersen, Casey Jacobsen, Chris Crawford and Joel Pryzbilla and Demarr Johnson in the NBA. (apparently I mark for the white boys....~RAYCYST?)

Guest Redhawk

NBA

Stromile Swift

Juan Dixon

Desmond Mason

Jason Terry

Cardell Butler ("Ballaholic" on ESPN's Streetball)

Lionel Chalmers

Andre Iguodala

Jameer Nelson

Mike Sweetney

Jamaal Tinsley

Jacque Vaughn

Romain Sato

NFL

Quincy Morgan

Garrison Hearst

Ray Buchanan

Marlin Jackson

Jesse Chatman (played with him in H.S.)

Ronde Barber

Dre Bly

MLB

Rey Ordonez

Deion Sanders

The Professor from the And 1 Streetballers. That dude is the one guy I watch play and thinks that he should be in the real league.

Guest Redhawk

Professor isn't NBA material. Too small and too slow. You can make it if you're little (Boykins, Nate Robinson, etc.) but you'd better be a helluva athlete or extremely basketball savvy, or both. If you watch Professor, there are little things about his game that would get him killed in the NBA. Like the fact that he jumps maybe 2 inches off the ground on his jumper, or that he's been pickpocketed by 12-year-olds, or that his defense isn't much to speak of. The fact that he was a backup for a community college team before And1 should tell you something.

Guest Brian

My friend grew up with Dan Wilson as his favorite player. That's about as low as you can go.

NHL: Nick Boynton of the Bruins

NBA: Cherokee Parks (is he even still in the league?); Jason "White Chocolate" Williams; or Christain Laettner.

MLB: Tim Wakefield. Gabe Kapler was there, but he loses out because he's playing in Japan.

Guest Smues

Where'd he go to High School? I know he went to my college because one of my professors would inform us of that fact every week.

As for me my favorite non superstar is probably Julio Franco.

nhl:

Scott Hannan, John Madden (yea, he plays for the Devils, but I admire his game)

mlb:

Kevin Youkilis, Oliver Perez

nhl:

I die, just a little bit, on the inside everytime a hockey fan that I respect likes John Madden.

I can't think of many right now, but two notables are as follows:

MLB: Jayson Werth, CF, LA Dodgers. He went to my high school (Glenwood). I used to hang out with his sister Hillary back in the day.

NBA: Andre Iguodala, F, Philadelphia 76ers. Went to Lanphier High School in my hometown, and played on the basketball team with my best friend. I've played a pickup game or two with him and got my ass handed to me.

Guest Redhawk

Where'd he go to High School? I know he went to my college because one of my professors would inform us of that fact every week.

As for me my favorite non superstar is probably Julio Franco.

Franklin H.S. in Seattle. He was a junior when I was a freshman, so I played 2 years with him. He pretty much carried our team, playing RB, LB, Punter and Kicker. One game I think he scored like 5 touchdowns, blocked a field goal and took it back inside the 20, intercepted a pass or recovered a fumble (can't remember which it was), and then won the game by catching a Hail Mary at the end. He was our fullback, keep in mind, catching a Hail Mary 40-50 yards down the field.

nhl:

I die, just a little bit, on the inside everytime a hockey fan that I respect likes John Madden.

Eh.

He plays the same game that I played when I played. I was good at defense and little else, so it's almost like watching myself play in the NHL.

Griffey's no longer a superstar, but he once was so I don't know if he qualifies, genius.

MLB: Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, and Carlos Zambrano. I'm too insecure to really back anyone who's not a Cub, although I'm quickly becoming a Yhency Brazoban fan.

NFL:

Eric Parker, WR San Diego Chargers

Brandon Stokley, WR Indianapolis Colts

Peter Warrick, WR Cincinnati Bengals

Mike Anderson, FB/HB Denver Broncos

MLB:

Randy Wolf, SP Philadelphia Phillies

MLB: Chase Utley. For now, I think kid's got star potential.

NBA: Seconding the Iguodala love. He is a fun player to watch. The Sixers haven't had an athlete like that in a long time. Nice to see the showy dunks.

Professor isn't NBA material. Too small and too slow. You can make it if you're little (Boykins, Nate Robinson, etc.) but you'd better be a helluva athlete or extremely basketball savvy, or both. If you watch Professor, there are little things about his game that would get him killed in the NBA. Like the fact that he jumps maybe 2 inches off the ground on his jumper, or that he's been pickpocketed by 12-year-olds, or that his defense isn't much to speak of. The fact that he was a backup for a community college team before And1 should tell you something.

Its when they get to the grind because they want to win and play REAL basketball is why I say he has the game. ONce you take out all the of rule breaking of the trick part, he is quite the ball hawk, a crisp passer and ball handler, and really makes his team mates better, plus the guy is a athlete.

Eh.

He plays the same game that I played when I played. I was good at defense and little else, so it's almost like watching myself play in the NHL.

No disrepect meant, obviously, Max. Madden's just such a Bruins-killer, and has always done such a good job shutting down Thornton & the B's top lines in the postseason.

Plus, it hurts me to have a hockey fan like anyone on the Devils (Stevens & Niedermeyer excepted)

What's with the Griffey mention? I'd say the dude is easily a superstar. Tayshaun is on his way there.

I know he's retired but how about Dan Majerle. He was always on that pseudo star level. Also liked Mark Grace, he's on that same almost superstar level.

Guest TheDon
NBA: Bob Sura, Tractor Traylor, Jim Jackson

NFL: Tommy Maddox

MLB: Jeff Kent, Eddie Guardado

Jeff Kent isn't a superstar? I could have sworn he won an MVP award and made a ton of all star teams.