TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

I hate Nintendo. I just bought a gamecube and a bunch of games for a good deal on ebay (my fiance wanted one, and I haven't played it in awhile and there are some games I want to try)

So I'm lookin around, thinking hey let me go see what I can do about hooking this up to my fancy HDTV for progressive scan support with component cables...and THERE ARE NONE IN ANY STORES. And No 3rd party ones, the only way to get them is to order direct from nintendo's site. What's more, the newer gamecubes actually don't even have the port so I can't even tell if I have the right gamecube till it gets here (at which point I could send it to nintendo for a replacement...sheesh)

This is irritating, all this trouble for a cable. If anyone knows someone with a cube component cable they aren't really using, steal it for me :P

What? The GameCube has never supported progressive scan/HD, nor will the Revolution.

That being said, buy Tales of Symphonia and Animal Crossing NOW. $20 a piece, and they're the best games for the system.

Eternal Darkness is better than either game, and it's cheaper.

It had a brilliant gimmick and some of the most WTF moments in a video game.

What?  The GameCube has never supported progressive scan/HD, nor will the Revolution.

That being said, buy Tales of Symphonia and Animal Crossing NOW.  $20 a piece, and they're the best games for the system.

The gamecube sure as hell DOES support progressive scan. Hence the gamecube component cables that nintendo sells on their website that specifically mention they're for games with progressive scan.

not sure what information you got that says it doesn't, but it was a bad source.

Thanks to columbus day on friday I have a paid day off, I'm gonna be travelling to every video game store in the greater pittsburgh area looking for a used set of component gamcube cables. it may be the worst day ever ;p

My understanding of American holidays seems to be not correct... is Columbus Day not the holiday that occurs on the same date as Canadian thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October)?

no you're right, I'm being stupid. I don't know why I have off on the 11th. I just assumed it was columbus day because it's the only holiday I know of before thanksgiving.

Apparently Nov. 11th is Remembrance/Veterans Day...but i don't know why I have off. State jobs can be nice sometimes.

My understanding of American holidays seems to be not correct... is Columbus Day not the holiday that occurs on the same date as Canadian thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October)?

no you're right, I'm being stupid. I don't know why I have off on the 11th. I just assumed it was columbus day because it's the only holiday I know of before thanksgiving.

Apparently Nov. 11th is Remembrance/Veterans Day...but i don't know why I have off. State jobs can be nice sometimes.

I believe it's to remember the end of World War I and all who have died in wars before and since

I believe it's to remember the end of World War I and all who have died in wars before and since

I suppose I phrased that badly. I understand the purpose of the holiday and respect it, I just am confused as to why I have off this year, when I didn't last year and the state tries to avoid giving us friday holidays off unless they have to.

AndrewTS: How exactly do the Metroid Prime games play? I've considered getting them but I'm iffy as to the style/mechanics of play and I've heard so much back and forth on them. I'm definitely picking up Mario Tennis and one of the Mario Party games though. :)

AndrewTS: How exactly do the Metroid Prime games play?  I've considered getting them but I'm iffy as to the style/mechanics of play and I've heard so much back and forth on them.

Extremely well.

I generally hate FPSers. Aiming is usually a pain, and I rarely find it intriguing to view the world through the eyes of some poor stiff who is going to get jumped by 5+ guys and gunned down like a pig.

In the Primes, it's not really a FPSer at all. It's a bonafide Metroid--a platformer where you happen to shoot stuff. There are plenty of baddies and bosses, but exploration and platform jumping are focused heavily upon. You have an excellent targeting system (featuring an auto-aiming reticle that's easy to switch to other enemies), a variety of beams/missiles, visors, the double-jump for navigating rougher terrain, and a well-designed map system that lets you easily tell what areas need explored and which areas need visited (you get hints at the next area you need to check out, usually by alerting you of a boss waiting for you).

The pacing and level design are very well done, so that even if you never played a FPS before, you should pick everything up with ease. In fact, one criticism is that it's so user-friendly that people accustomed to traditional FPSers may not like the controls, but I've not met anyone who felt that way.

Graphics are steller, the music is a fantastic mix of new and old, controls are intuitive and responsive, and Prime 1 (which is like 5 bucks these days) has one of the greatest end boss fights ever. I can't really recommend it highly enough.

Prime 2 is a great game although some people aren't as thrilled with it since it isn't such a big jump over Prime 1, but it's still a great game. It directly follows up Prime 1, though, so maybe you want to pick up Prime first, then decide from there.

However, just to be fair--the gripes:

Backtracking can sometimes be tedious (but it is a Metroid--and you travel pretty quickly for a 3D game, though. Plus there's elevators and such).

Getting the better secrets requires you to scan darn near everything. If you love exploring and taking your time, it's not such a big deal, but it hurts anyone who wants to try to rush through the game with a good time, and can get a little tedious.

Hmm. Maybe i'll pick up the first one cheap and see what I think. I'm very experienced with FPS's (both on PC and Xbox) so no worries there, I've never met a game I couldn't pick up and play.

My main worry is the gameplay fluid enough...a lot of 3rd person action games tend to turn me off because they just don't flow right, and part of it comes from having played Otogi (the best 3rd person action game ever imho) it's hard for anything to live up to that standard.

Well, how do you mean "flow?"

I suppose the fluidity between combat and platforming elements. I love otogi because of how freely the game moves between fighting and platforming (and in fact the fighting is part of the platforming) It's just an amazing experience. I think I'll like prime, and even though it's more of an fps/3rd person hybrid I know i'm gonna compare it to Otogi the entire time. (Then again Otogi is the only reason I originally bought an xbox, I played a demo of it and was downright amazed. :))

Otogi looks like one of those games people should have been recommending to me when I asked for good X-Box games, instead of overrated junk that everyone mentions.

The flow is pretty good in the Primes, but for obvious reasons, when facing multiple enemies you often need to face them in a larger/round battleground.

Otogi looks like one of those games people should have been recommending to me when I asked for good X-Box games, instead of overrated junk that everyone mentions.

The flow is pretty good in the Primes, but for obvious reasons, when facing multiple enemies you often need to face them in a larger/round battleground.

Otogi unfortunately is a game most people don't even know exists. It's just...surreal. It's also challenging. Very very challenging. The very definition of a gamer's game. If you do have an xbox you should make every effort to acquire a copy. It's the most underrated game of this generation, and that's unfortunate :) (And there are SO MANY different levels and each one is so much different from the last, and the game doesn't even end when you think it will)

I just get this weird feeling prime might end up similar to Crimson Sea. A fun game that is, but with some minor flaws. No one's ever made that comparison, but i don't really know how many people actually played Crimson Sea either.

I have a friend who owns Crimson Sea 1 and 2. Never really recommended them to me, but know he likes them.

I'll probably pick up Otogi and put them away in my cabinet for when I actually get an X-Box (which will either be the 1st one if the price drops a little more, or a 360 if/when they making it 100% backward compatible).

I think you may find Prime more exceptional, however.

I have a friend who owns Crimson Sea 1 and 2.  Never really recommended them to me, but know he likes them.

I'll probably pick up Otogi and put them away in my cabinet for when I actually get an X-Box (which will either be the 1st one if the price drops a little more, or a 360 if/when they making it 100% backward compatible).

I think you may find Prime more exceptional, however.

I hope so. I'm more worried about my quest to find component cables though. That's the worst business decision by nintendo, refusing to release something in a store.

Yeah, you can see the prog scan logo on the BACK OF THE BOX of Metroid Prime, etc.  Get a clue, Matt. :P

My Metroid Prime doesn't have a box.

I guess I'm mistaken, but I always heard people complain about how the Cube didn't support hi-def gaming and how the Revolution will not, either. Is there a difference between progressive scan and HD?

Anyway... As I've said before, I owntoo many games and don't have nearly enough time to play or even open them all. Here's my official tally from the last year, since November 2004:

Xbox system

29 Xbox games

6 GameCube games

Nintendo DS

1 DS game

1 GBA game

Then when I do play games, half the time (or more) it's on Xbox Live, and then I still play RPGs, and older GC/Xbox games. Shit.

I'd bet if I spent less of my time at home on the internet and more on gaming, I'd finish more titles, though.

What's a good place to find ps1 iso's? I tried out some ps1 emulator and it works really well, so I thought I'd catch up on old ps1 games I never had the chance to play. I've tried the usual torrent sites, but there is a lack of seeds for most games.

I just imported a copy of Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! for the Nintendo DS. As a fan of rhythm games, I enjoy it alot. A bit on the short side, but having L'arc en Ciel's Ready Steady Go as a finale is friggin' awesome. I'm going to be shocked if this gets a domestic release with little alteration.