TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Smackdown VS Raw 2006

So, I lost the Royal Rumble match after entering at #30 in Season. Then, after I skipped Cena's celebration (maybe I missed a rematch option or something...), I'm in the ring with five other guys in a Battle Royal / Rumble. I couldn't tell because I quickly got double-teamed and thrown out. After apparently two losses, it's Game Over, and I have to start from the beginning.

I started GM Mode as Smackdown, and I'm loving it for the most part. For the first month or so, Raw was kicking my ass. It took a while before I figured out how to make title matches from this thread a few pages back. My biggest guys are Cena, HHH, JBL, HBK, Benoit, and Jericho among others, but really only a select few of them are really popular. My most successful feud has been a 7 week feud between Cena and Big Show (feel the excitement), and I'm even on the way to making the Cruiserweight title have a decent feud between Chavo & Tajiri. Meanwhile, HHH & JBL are fighting over the World Title, and Shelton & HBK for the US Title. Some teams I've been using have been La Rez, Benoit & Jericho, and Christian & Masters. The hardest part is stretching out feuds during the months your brand doesn't have a PPV.

I don't have the game, but I played it the other day. Very awesome game, but I STILL find the commentary to be somewhere in between funny and still bad...

King: Hey JR, what is your favorite part of the match so far?

JR: The part where you stop YAPPING.....

LOL2005.

Kids, is this wrestling game good enough to warrant a PS2 purchase>

Thanks.

I'd say yes. If not, at least a rental.

It's still far from perfect but it's better than last year's. Season's entertaining but doesn't warrant more than two plays really. GM Mode makes up for it though. Plus Orton pecs look pretty realistic. That should be a deal clincher, surely?

I don't watch wrestling but I get these games anyway(and then always complain about how bad they are). I have no idea who half these people are, except from having read about them. I've been playing as Carlito. Even though I have never actually seen him on TV I like him because of his silly hair.

The GM mode is incredibly boring. I hate having to continue a feud every single week or else it ends. There's not enough fresh news either, after like a month I had seen every news piece. Setting up matches in a menu over and over is just tedius.

The career mode is pretty cool but is too short and random. You just go from one story to the next seemingly at random and then it just kinda ends. It isn't even a full year.

Fullfill your fantasy is horrible. What is even the point?

The gameplay in this series makes no sense. It looks good but has no real depth or balance. What is the difference between the moves besides the way they look? They can all be reversed the same way. So why go for a simple weak grapple when you can do a big power move that takes off more life? Anytime I play these in two player it's kind of lame because it's so easy to counter moves. They don't take exact timing and there's no penalty for doing the wrong counter. There's no reason NOT to try every single time so like 75% of our moves get countered over and over. It looks ridiculous.

Guest clockworkraven
I've been playing as Carlito. Even though I have never actually seen him on TV I like him because of his silly hair.

Best reason to like him in the game, I think.

As for the power grapple vs weak grapple... There are theoretically differences in how easily they're countered, and even though I haven't played SvR2006, there's probably a difference in the amount of stamina they take off.

Carlito is cool. I love how he just casually strolls out to the ring to that goofy music.

I don't think there is any difference in how easy it is to counter moves.

Stamina is another thing that's pretty dumb. So far I haven't seen it make any real impact at all.

Just played a cage match for the first time. Big improvement.

For those who care, you can put your CAW through season mode. You give him a choice of voices to use. Unfortunately, the one I chose makes him sound a tad camp.

EDIT: It also seems there are no subtitles for season mode, which sucks for those of us who like to listen to music while playing.

You can turn subtitles on in the locker room, just go to your desk and I think it's a pair of headphones that you select, they're on the top left anyway.

You star!

The GM mode is incredibly boring. I hate having to continue a feud every single week or else it ends. There's not enough fresh news either, after like a month I had seen every news piece. Setting up matches in a menu over and over is just tedius.

Weak.

Dude, it's no more boring than fighting the same battle in next-gen Final Fantasy games, over-and-over-and-over-and-over again.

The career mode is pretty cool but is too short and random. You just go from one story to the next seemingly at random and then it just kinda ends. It isn't even a full year.

Uh, two full years, actually.

The gameplay in this series makes no sense. It looks good but has no real depth or balance. What is the difference between the moves besides the way they look? They can all be reversed the same way. So why go for a simple weak grapple when you can do a big power move that takes off more life? Anytime I play these in two player it's kind of lame because it's so easy to counter moves. They don't take exact timing and there's no penalty for doing the wrong counter. There's no reason NOT to try every single time so like 75% of our moves get countered over and over. It looks ridiculous.

I would have to say that the penalty for not doing a counter would be... well.. getting hit with the move! Why did you even buy it if you knew you were going to hate so much about it? Wouldn't it make sense to rent it first?

I thought I was really going to be into this game, what with IGN proclaiming it to be the best wrestling game since No Mercy. But so far, it's a bit of a disappointment. The gameplay is very stiff and all over the place, the character creation mode has nice models now, but the clothing and pattern options are a joke. The Create-An-Entrance mode is awful, because there is no way to preview anything (besides music and entrance videos) without waiting through at least a 10 second loading screen.

Going from Day of Reckoning 2's robust creation system which allowed you to preview everything on the fly with no loading, being able to create custom patterns for masks and clothing, and DOR 2's great gameplay is very jarring. I hope this game gets better the more I play it. What I can say is that it does offer a lot of things to do, lot's of match types, lots of cool little touches and features.

I wasn't able to play last night, but I opened up my PS2 and SDvR today. I've played about 15 matches, trying out various stipulation bouts as well as deefnding titles, picking different guys each time. I love it so far. I even drafted a roster and ran a show in GM mode, although I don't have a memory card so I wasn't able to save it.

I played some HCTP with a friend back in Illinois, but this is the frist SD game I've owned since SD2 nad it's great. I won't be playing my other systems much for at least a few days, but I'll be playing this gamea lot longer than that. I still have season mode and online play to look forward to!

I can't say for sure until I see whetheror not it holds up over time, but overall (just gameplay, no, but overall) this is probably the best wrestling game ever released in America, although Fire Pro D would of course beat it.

Dude, it's no more boring than fighting the same battle in next-gen Final Fantasy games, over-and-over-and-over-and-over again.

No it's not. Turn based battles have something to watch and the enemy is attacking back.

There's not enough going on in the GM mode.

Uh, two full years, actually.

What? No it's not. It's like....4 months long.

You don't even need to actually play the matches. Towards the end of one play through I stopped caring and just skipped all the matches....I won the royal rumble and won the title at the end.

I would have to say that the penalty for not doing a counter would be... well.. getting hit with the move! Why did you even buy it if you knew you were going to hate so much about it? Wouldn't it make sense to rent it first?

You get hit but you would have got hit if you hadn't tried to counter. If I just stand there I get hit and take damage. If I try to counter and do I gain the advantage. If I try to counter and fail I take the same amount of damage I would have if I had just stood there. So there is no reason not to counter. There is no risk in attempting a counter every single time you are attacked.

I don't hate it that much. I wouldn't be playing it if it wasn't fun. The story mode is good and I'll play it in two player for a bit just because of all the over the top special matches and modes. Fighting on top of the cage in hell in a cell is cool even if the gameplay is too simple.

I got my copy today, and I plan on delving in after I get home from work.

::chuckles:: what? I have my priorities straight; I am going to need rest before I go back to work, then I plan on making my namesake CAW and then trying out the different modes, I figure I go through season mode twice to build my CAW and then going on to making my Killian, Low-Ki and Samoa Joe CAWs, and then I might stop...

No matter how good the game is, I am simply not going to delete my HCTP save. No way. I put way too much work into those CAWs.

For anyone who hasn't unlocked the CAW movesets yet...

- The Lungblower is in. Backbreaker 14, but it's only a finisher I think.

- Regal Cutter is in.

- Ego Trip is in.

- There's another Shining Wizard animation beside Hurricane's that has a Japanese type of name and it's more of a knee to the face than kick to the back of the head. Very cool.

- Novacaine is in...which is basically a third version of the Downward Spiral.

- Styles Clash isn't re-animated

- There a couple of new moves as well as those.

I played from the time I got home from EB until I had to leave for work and I was pretty into it. I only did a month in season and a month in GM (GM first, actually) because I ended up spending a lot of time messing around in exhibition matches. That is so awesome that one of Hogan's moves is preparing to no-sell something, then Hulk up. I noticed some pretty nice animations as well (delayed selling, but I forget which move, and Flair doing the flop after I beat him up... though that might have been a well timed AI taunt, assuming that is still a taunt of his).

I was susprised that CWs like Hurricane, Chavo, and Daivari were usable in season mode. When the announcement that some of the lower card guys weren't in, I assumed they were out for sure. I thought I heard someone say Regal wasn't in Season but I could have selected him if I wanted to so.. I don't know. Seems like the biggest non-fired guy left out of Season's playable characters was Eugene, probably because he would not have fit the storylines since your character talks now...

... which brings me to how much better the voice acting is this year. Like I said, I only played a month of the story (I actually didn't even do the PPV match yet) and it was good. It is great that your character talks.

You get hit but you would have got hit if you hadn't tried to counter. If I just stand there I get hit and take damage. If I try to counter and do I gain the advantage. If I try to counter and fail I take the same amount of damage I would have if I had just stood there. So there is no reason not to counter. There is no risk in attempting a counter every single time you are attacked.

Ummm...what?

Ummm...what?

My question is, why would you NOT want to counter in the first place? :huh:

Guest Leelee
Kids, is this wrestling game good enough to warrant a PS2 purchase>

Thanks.

I'd say yes. If not, at least a rental.

It's still far from perfect but it's better than last year's. Season's entertaining but doesn't warrant more than two plays really. GM Mode makes up for it though. Plus Orton pecs look pretty realistic. That should be a deal clincher, surely?

Yes, but does he look as properly hung as he does in real life?

\

The point is that there are too many counters because it's so easy to do and there's no risk involved.

Seriously? I'll play through maybe one or two matches, just to get the feel. Then it's straight to the CAWs.

es, but does he look as properly hung as he does in real life?

Quiet you.

Guest Leelee

Quiet, YOU.

Hold off on making your ZOMG JOE ******************8888888 BESTEST WORKER IN AMERICANS JAPAN1!11 and tell me about Randall's genetalia.

Thanks.

Guest Tuxedo Mask

The light of the full moon reveals you as a gimmick poster and not a pure hearted maiden!

\

The point is that there are too many counters because it's so easy to do and there's no risk involved.

Are you serious? Too many counters? WTF? The whole point of the counter system is so that you can counter any move.

Seriously, this conversation is going to make my head explode.

One specific thing I don't like about this game is that it's very hard to hit top rope finishers this time around. Particularly with RVD. You'll have the opponent laying down, jump on the top rope, and fly off with the frog splash....and while in mid-air, the opponent will just pop back up to his feet and stand in place, screwing up the entire move. I can't count how many times that's happened to me with RVD and Eddie Guerrero already.

Otherwise, I'm pleased with the game so far. I haven't been able to explore the Season Mode or GM Mode yet, but the graphics are great -- particularly with the entrances -- and I'm liking the stamina option.

And for people who like to make CAWs or have found a nice CAW site already....Samoa Joe and AJ Styles CAWs would be much appreciated. Because I'm much too lazy to do it myself.