TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

These sick motherfuckers

As before, the network should assume responsibility for whether this airs in the UK (the shit may just hit the fan if it does). But I will say this, going 'Oh you knew they'd do it' isn't the best defence. This company uses its ambiguous position betweem implied fact and fiction to its advantage. No other high profile show could get away with it.

For sure. The only WWE angle that actually offended me was Katie Vick, because it was just gross, and you KNEW it was just absolutely pointless and shock for shock's sake.

For me, the Hassan bit is more offensive. The Katie Vick thing was played more as a punchline to a real bad joke. This is being played for seriousness. (or at least as serious as wrestling is supposed to get)

Its offensive for sure, and its fucked up because the live audience had no idea it was coming and when you want to have a good time, you don't want to be suprised with a tasteless display like this. The terrorist angle is not cool when you are in the middle of fighting a freaking war. Let alone the fact that they are just spreading the stereotype that Arab Americans, no matter what they say, are really all terrorist. That was just fucked up honestly. But hey. What can ya do?

I'm assuming you are talking about my Rey/Eddy post on the bottom of page 4.

If these were taped before the feud, then it should be made abundantly clear it was before the feud. I shouldn't have to guess or make up conclusions so it fits "their" interpretations. It's a quality control issue and there should be people on the writing team who are supposed to find these gaping plot holes. We are reaching Taker/Kane level plotholes here.

For sure. The only WWE angle that actually offended me was Katie Vick, because it was just gross, and you KNEW it was just absolutely pointless and shock for shock's sake.

I'm expecting them to reinact that sometime soon.

You know, to promote Corpse Bride.

Shouldn't Rey's son be a little upset at the mere appearance of "Uncle" Eddy? Just my 2 cents.

Depends on how Rey/Eddie may have explained their relationship, past programs, etc. to him. I figure most wrestlers' kids are told things like Mick Foley telling Dewey that "Daddy and Rock are playing out there and we're not really hurting each other."

Dominic may think there's no real animosity between them.

Still, that's fans having to fill in plot holes for them, but that's nothing new.

(Note: I didn't see most of SD or that segment, BTW)

It's worth mentioning that when wrestling tries to tackle issues such as rape and terrorism it is overstepping its bounds. This is escapist entertainment, I hardly see what it gains in reminding us of how miserable the outside world is.

Shouldn't Rey's son be a little upset at the mere appearance of "Uncle" Eddy? Just my 2 cents.

Well, you could always figure that Rey forbids his son from watching wrestling, to save his son from seeing his father getting beaten up on a weekly basis. And especially now, he wants to keep his son from seeing "Uncle" Eddie acting like he is, and possibly telling the "secret".

A friend of mine is in hospital right now due to the terrorist attack, that's not fucking television. I don't find it funny when what she experienced is being made light of for entertainment purposes. It's not just television, it's real life being trivialised on television by insensitive pricks for jaded apologists like yourself.

Were you also as pissed off when a train blew up in Batman Begins? Because's that's a lot closer to home in respect to yesterday's events rather then what happened on Smackdown.

And well, that's not just to you specifically, but in general. Because you might not have even seen the movie, just making a point. People aren't worked up over that. And just because it happened before the events shouldn't make any difference..this happened before too technically.

Running a terrorist angle on the fucking 4th of July is bad taste, keeping the skit in and airing the day London gets bombed is fucking out of the ball park of bad taste.

Comparing a film based in a fictional city where a guy in a Bat costume save the day so trains don't ruin the city while a power mad environmentalist tries to turn the world into the Amazon to running an angle that mimics terrorist attacks and torture on the same day of an actual terrorist attack is a little tenuous. The fact you are trying to compare a movie based on a comic book to a real life event is even more so. Christian Bale doesn't pretend to be Batman day to day, but Mark Magnus does and blurs the lines. I acknowledge it is intended to be entertainment, but the fact they use faux terrorism for entertainment value is pretty fucking bad.

Comparing a film based in a fictional city where a  guy in a Bat costume save the day so trains don't ruin the city while a power mad environmentalist tries to turn the world into the Amazon to running an angle that mimics terrorist attacks and torture on the same day of an actual terrorist attack is a little tenuous. The fact you are trying to compare a movie based on a comic book to a real life event is even more so. Christian Bale doesn't pretend to be Batman day to day, but Mark Magnus does and blurs the lines. I acknowledge it is intended to be entertainment, but the fact they use faux terrorism for entertainment value is pretty fucking bad.

You did well until the bolded part. Seems you forgot that we are talking about a TV show.

Well, you could always figure that Rey forbids his son from watching wrestling, to save his son from seeing his father getting beaten up on a weekly basis. And especially now, he wants to keep his son from seeing "Uncle" Eddie acting like he is, and possibly telling the "secret".

That doesn't work. Obviously Dominic goes to school, so surely his friends would know/tell him.

And I don't believe Rey wouldn't tell him about his heritage and show him some luchadore matches, even if they aren't WWE stuff.

Guest jumpingbombangel
It's worth mentioning that when wrestling tries to tackle issues such as rape and terrorism it is overstepping its bounds. This is escapist entertainment, I hardly see what it gains in reminding us of how miserable the outside world is.

Well, if Nick Berg was shot in the head instead of decapitated they would have been too scared to do it, since the pussies abandoned guns after Pillman/Austin.

That's what makes me laugh about the people who see this as a "cutting edge" (pun intended) type of thing. The WWE hasn't been outrageous since 1998; this was just dumb, annoying, and stupid to show on TV in any market.

Problem is they've shown Rey's son at live events like 2-3 times already. Also, Rey hasn't lost any of their matches, so why would he protect his son from seeing him getting beaten? Again, it's us filling in the gaps and that is a sign of bad planning and writing along with a lack of quality control.

Okay, I tried reading through the thread...I really did. Crimson Platypus has posted roughly 5 or 6 times that the WWE is just a television show. I don't know why, but I'm gonna post this again, see if he reads it this time.

To say it's no different from a scene in a movie is complete crap too. Movies aren't filmed in front of live audiences. Movies aren't designed to make people hate the actors for any longer than the movie's run-time. The point of the storyline was to make people HATE Hassan and Daviari. And EVERYONE knows that movies are fake, because movies have never been presented as 'real' outside of documentaries. Some people get that with the WWE, it's storyline. I'm sure there's some people who don't though.

Obviously you're talking TV, so it may not fit perfectly.

Wrestling is not like 24 in many different ways.

And besides that, to use the analogy, bad TV is bad TV. This is the equivalent of a sitcom doing a terrorism parody, because the WWE is certainly not any more high-brow than your average sitcom. TV shows should stick to what they know. When they don't, you get bad TV. This was bad TV.

Comparing a film based in a fictional city where a guy in a Bat costume save the day so trains don't ruin the city while a power mad environmentalist tries to turn the world into the Amazon to running an angle that mimics terrorist attacks and torture on the same day of an actual terrorist attack is a little tenuous. The fact you are trying to compare a movie based on a comic book to a real life event is even more so. Christian Bale doesn't pretend to be Batman day to day, but Mark Magnus does and blurs the lines. I acknowledge it is intended to be entertainment, but the fact they use faux terrorism for entertainment value is pretty fucking bad

Mark Magnus plays a character, it's the same thing, wrestlings as movies is fictional ... Oh and his band of masked man attack a zombie, a fucking zombie who has super-powers :ph34r:

Guest Coffey

This thread should be locked until you people dry your goddamn panties.

Guest Fishyswa

"The point remains that you seem to be unable to comprehend obvious inferences and suggestions. Your 'maybe they just felt like praying!' comment proves that you're just being completely obstinate, for its own sake."

No it's to prove the point that they've done nothing but play off stereotypes.

Eddie/Rey right now is frustrating. The angle doesn't make a lick of sense and comes off as a desperate attempt to continue the fued, yet Eddie's never been better in his promo's and you know any pay-off matches are gonna be worth watching. It's everything it shouldn't be right now and I fail to see how they couldn't come up with something better. Hopefully this is just something quick and cheap leading into Eddie getting more and more desperate to beat him clean.

Okay, I tried reading through the thread...I really did. Crimson Platypus has posted roughly 5 or 6 times that the WWE is just a television show. I don't know why, but I'm gonna post this again, see if he reads it this time.

To say it's no different from a scene in a movie is complete crap too. Movies aren't filmed in front of live audiences. Movies aren't designed to make people hate the actors for any longer than the movie's run-time. The point of the storyline was to make people HATE Hassan and Daviari. And EVERYONE knows that movies are fake, because movies have never been presented as 'real' outside of documentaries. Some people get that with the WWE, it's storyline. I'm sure there's some people who don't though.

And besides that, to use the analogy, bad TV is bad TV. This is the equivalent of a sitcom doing a terrorism parody, because the WWE is certainly not any more high-brow than your average sitcom. TV shows should stick to what they know. When they don't, you get bad TV. This was bad TV.

I don't get why this is making it okay to be all overly offended and pissy pants about the segment? It was on TV. It's not like the segment was set up to look like they jumped Undertaker (you know, the fake zombie guy) in a back alley and kept him in a prison, abusing him for days/weeks before making him sign a confession of his sins against the US before finally choking him nearly unconscious with a piano wire.

It was in the ring. Hassan's manager was set up as the fall guy, sacrifice if you will, for some of Hassan's buddies to run out and jump him, attacking the wrestler who has REPEATEDLY beaten multiple guys in a viscious manner in order to weaken him for Hassan to be able to beat him when they wrestle IN THE RING. Nothing about terrorism, nothing about Jihads or Al Queada (or however it's spelled), nothing about bombing OR the city of London (Paul London was also absent). Religion was never mentioned. As far as I can remember, religion has NEVER been mentioned by Hassan (note: I have not watched RAW in over a year so I can't speak for that with absolute assurance). He's an Arab American not a Muslim (again, I think).

This thread should be locked until you people dry your goddamn panties.

AAARRGHH!!! Yeah, cause what we hate here at TSM is dissenting opinion. Better fall in line there buddy so we can take more shots at HHH.

Eddie/Rey right now is frustrating. The angle doesn't make a lick of sense and comes off as a desperate attempt to continue the fued, yet Eddie's never been better in his promo's and you know any pay-off matches are gonna be worth watching. It's everything it shouldn't be right now and I fail to see how they couldn't come up with something better. Hopefully this is just something quick and cheap leading into Eddie getting more and more desperate to beat him clean.

I liked what they were doing last night, with the whole blackmail thing. I just hope two things come of this: Eddie finally gets a win, and please, for the love of god, DON'T do a molestation thing. I really, really, really hope it's a paternity thing and nothing else. Really.

I don't get why this is making it okay to be all overly offended and pissy pants about the segment? It was on TV. It's not like the segment was set up to look like they jumped Undertaker (you know, the fake zombie guy) in a back alley and kept him in a prison, abusing him for days/weeks before making him sign a confession of his sins against the US before finally choking him nearly unconscious with a piano wire.

It was in the ring. Hassan's manager was set up as the fall guy, sacrifice if you will, for some of Hassan's buddies to run out and jump him, attacking the wrestler who has REPEATEDLY beaten multiple guys in a viscious manner in order to weaken him for Hassan to be able to beat him when they wrestle IN THE RING. Nothing about terrorism, nothing about Jihads or Al Queada (or however it's spelled), nothing about bombing OR the city of London (Paul London was also absent). Religion was never mentioned. As far as I can remember, religion has NEVER been mentioned by Hassan (note: I have not watched RAW in over a year so I can't speak for that with absolute assurance). He's an Arab American not a Muslim (again, I think).

Please re-read the thread. I've said multiple times, I'm not 'overly offended' over the segment. Just because I think it was tasteless, just because I said it was a terrible wrestling angle, doesn't mean I'm in tears over this. I really don't care all that much, believe it or not.

I'll respond anyway though. Bear in mind, this is a 'pissy pants' response either. It wasn't what was said, it was what was hinted and what was meant to be construed from the angle that people are unhappy about.

Guest Coffey
AAARRGHH!!! Yeah, cause what we hate here at TSM is dissenting opinion. Better fall in line there buddy so we can take more shots at HHH.

It's not even about that. It's about people getting up in arms over bullshit. If the attacks in London bothered people so much, they wouldn't be home watching fucking wrestling, they'd be out helping in some way. Raising money to donate to charity, whatever. It's just people using another excuse to bash WWE.

It's not about differing opinions as it pertains to WWE. It's about people getting bent out of shape over it. It's ridiculous. It's fucking tranquil bullshit and people are acting like it's the worst thing in the world. Words like "dispicable," "degrading" & "distasteful" are being thrown around over a goddamn TV show! A TV show that isn't known for being morally correct in the first fucking place.

Not only that, but YOU MOTHER-FUCKERS KNEW IT WAS COMING! Goddamn, it's not like you didn't read the spoilers. What more do you want WWE to do? It was taped days ago. They ran a scrolling marquee multiple times. What more can they do? Cut the entire segment and show replays for ten minutes? Let the show end early?

Y'all should be thankful you didn't get a bomb up YOUR ass instead of bickering over a fucking TV show. The segment went down. You didn't like it. OK. It doesn't mean anything as it pertains to people losing their lives in London though. You shouldn't even be thinking about making that connection. THAT'S distasteful.

This thread is damn near unreadible because every other post is about OMG TURRIST ATTACKS BOMB SHELTAR HASSAN. I'm sorry, but when I saw fat men in masks with piano wire on a wrestling show, beating up a fake zombie for a wrestler from Michigan, that's Italian, acting Arab, I didn't think of bombs in London. Maybe that's just me? People talking about injured friends in the hospital and making comparisons to Batman Begins is off the charts in terms of stupidity.

You know, I haven't read through this whole thread, so if this has been addressed already, I apologize, but those of you spouting that "it wasn't a terrorist act" bullshit need to stop. Whether they were called terrorists in name is irrelevent; anybody with half a mind could see that this was set up in order for the viewers to be able to make that the connection between Hassan and terrorism. If that wasn't the case, then there would've been no reason for UPN to run that disclaimer across the screen about five or six times before it aired. I mean, it's one thing to say you're not offended by it (which I wasn't, for the record), but to even suggest that the parallels don't exist is just plain stupid.

I havent bothered to read this thread, I just noticed its longer than the actual thread discussing the bombings in Current Events.

Its the fucking WWE, there's much more important things to think about right now.

It's not even about that. It's about people getting up in arms over bullshit. If the attacks in London bothered people so much, they wouldn't be home watching fucking wrestling, they'd be out helping in some way. Raising money to donate to charity, whatever. It's just people using another excuse to bash WWE.

No it's not. What WWE did was a really stupid thing, made even worse by the attacks in London.

And I'm sorry if I wasn't on a plane to London and watching SD! instead.

It's not about differing opinions as it pertains to WWE. It's about people getting bent out of shape over it. It's ridiculous. It's fucking tranquil bullshit and people are acting like it's the worst thing in the world. Words like "dispicable," "degrading" & "distasteful" are being thrown around over a goddamn TV show! A TV show that isn't known for being morally correct in the first fucking place.

Just because they're known for not being PC in the past, doesn't make it okay when they do it again.

What they did WAS distasteful, and what happened in London made it even moreso.

Not only that, but YOU MOTHER-FUCKERS KNEW IT WAS COMING!

Classy. It doesn't make it right.

Goddamn, it's not like you didn't read the spoilers.

What more do you want WWE to do? It was taped days ago.

They shouldn't have done it in the first place and UPN should've edited it out.

They ran a scrolling marquee multiple times. What more can they do? Cut the entire segment and show replays for ten minutes? Let the show end early?

Show taped interviews, a video package. I don't know, something!

Ok, here's my take, which I admit is extremely unqualified since I haven't watched Smackdown in about a century and haven't seen the segment. But here goes:

There are certain issues that you do not raise in any form of entertainment unless you are going to handle them skillfully. Child abuse. Murder. Rape. Terrorism. And by skillfully, you have a kind of respect and sensitivity for the people that may have been hurt by these things, and your take is a genuinely thoughtful one with real ideas to express.

And when has "genuinely thoughtful with ideas to express" ever been a description of WWE?

Six Feet Under features homosexual relationships respectfully and thoughtfully, with lots of ideas to think about. Did Billy and Chuck generate anything more than a few cheap laughs? That's the difference.

I haven't seen 24, but I am told it handles issues of terrorism skillfully, showing how a group of terrorists are able to pose as a normal family. Evil can exist right in your midst, that sort of thing.

Is anyone getting new insight into terrorism thanks to this angle? I doubt it.

I had an idea for Hassan a long time ago: make him a face just wants to compete. He just happens to be Arab-American. Have him be harassed by a xenophonic wrestler like Bradshaw, who makes his heritage the issue. That would be about 100 times more interesting than Generic Evil Foreigner Who Isn't Actually Foreign. And an example of trying a new idea to really provoke thought.

I'll re-iterate it again, I was there live. I WAS THE SPOILERS!! I had no advanced warning. All I got was a bad angle shoved down my throat. Trust me, the live audience wasn't really into it either and any heat you heard was canned because the arena wasn't rocking at all.

As long as people have valid points to why they would be offended or disappointed, why should they shut up about it? If it's that bad, get a mod to close the thread. Just because some people here don't fall in line with everything being shown them, doesn't mean they don't have the right to an opinion unless a mod feels so. ( I do recognize this board is not a democracy, but the mods here do their best to have it)

I've stated in other threads for me, it's more disappointment than flat out offensive. I know they don't have to go this route, but they choose to. I don't like it, but what can I do? Well, I come here to express my dissatisfaction with what I see. I am a consumer of their product and feel I have the right to express myself i.e. bitching and whining to some of you. I figure as long as I have a point, it should be ok to express it. I've never said that everyone here should get offended and mad at what was presented.

Guest Coffey
I havent bothered to read this thread, I just noticed its longer than the actual thread discussing the bombings in Current Events.

Its the fucking WWE, there's much more important things to think about right now.

Exactly. That's like my entire point. I remember people got real worked up like this when Hassan did the throat slicing jester before the Camel Clutch on Eugene at Wrestlemania. They'll get worked up over anything.

WWE was a victim of bad timing. They didn't know London was going to get blasted.

Obviously I can make the terrorist relation but I don't think about real life shit when watching wrestling. I watch it to "get away" so to speak. It's a form of entertainment. I'm not going to get offended over anything.

WWE was a victim of bad timing. They didn't know London was going to get blasted.

Yea, but it was a dumb angle in the first place.

DA speaks the truth in his above post though