TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

9-11 truther Kevin Barrett is running for the Libertarian Party nomination for my district's Congressional seat (Ron Kind, D, incumbent). He's in favor of social security permanence and a Canadian-esque health care system so I'm not sure he's really cognizant of the whole political party thing. He's quite the dumbass, really.

What truther isn't?

Anyways, A few hours ago, I was at my Grandparents (my Grandfather is dead, so now a man named Tony lives there), and Tony said "I ain't votin' for no nigger." I guess I should be glad he doesn't know I'm voting for Obama.

The whole "her daughter is pregnant thing" shouldn't be a news issue, but who am I kidding, intelligent political discourse in this Country is dead. Who cares about issues when we can talk about peoples personal lives!

Also, Daily Kos is acting really retarded over Palin lately. It's pretty sad.

Pretty funny to see that after weeks and weeks of right-wingers calling Obama the "Obamessiah", "Chosen One", "The One", etc., those same types are hailing Palin as the savior of the Republican Party and/or McCain's campaign and/or "couldn't have been a more perfect choice".

Pretty funny to see that after weeks and weeks of right-wingers calling Obama the "Obamessiah", "Chosen One", "The One", etc., those same types are hailing Palin as the savior of the Republican Party and/or McCain's campaign and/or "couldn't have been a more perfect choice".

That amazes me too. For a while, it was "Obama is so inexperienced", and he then picks her. I have a feeling this may bite him on the ass.

Sarah Palin believes that "Under God" was put into the Pledge of Allegiance by the founding fathers:

http://eagleforumalaska.blogspot.com/2006/...-candidate.html

Are you offended by the phrase “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?

Palin: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I’ll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance

Oh god, Palin's 17-year-old has a 1-year-old. She got knocked up as a 15 year old! Fuck YES

Now, now, I said the retard kid being hers was just a rumour.

It's like "Desperate Housewives" come to life

Sarah Palin believes that "Under God" was put into the Pledge of Allegiance by the founding fathers:

http://eagleforumalaska.blogspot.com/2006/...-candidate.html

Are you offended by the phrase “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?

Palin: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I’ll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance

I loved this as well...

In relationship to families, what are your top three priorities if elected governor?

SP: 1. Creating an atmosphere where parents feel welcome to choose the venues of education for their children.

2. Preserving the definition of “marriage” as defined in our constitution.

3. Cracking down on the things that harm family life: gangs, drug use, and infringement of our liberties including attacks on our 2nd Amendment rights.

I'm sure she meant the Alaska Constitution....and wait, gun control harms family life? THE HELL?

edit: Bob Barr has some interesting things to say about Gov. Palin and the Republican Convention. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/...nr.bob.barr.cnn

Police raid headquarters of RNC protesters

Edited by SuperJerk

http://www.andrewhalcro.com/vetting_the_ve...st_announcement

Supposedly, Mccain's staff are only just now vetting her. After she's been picked.

I remember hearing her name mentioned but I thought the trooper scandal would ensure she wasn't picked. Not to mention the other skeletons she has in her closet (she did a disasterous job in wasilla and was almost recalled as Mayor and her family is well known in Alaska to be dysfunctional).

Do you think Palin mentioned this to Mccain when he asked her?

Seriously, this really says a lot about Mccain's judgement that he's picked an obviously unqualified women with so many scandals in going on in her life. The Obama camp heavily vetted every candidate- to the point they were asking Tim Kaine who his college girlfriend was. And the Mccain campaign didn't even check out the basic facts on this woman?

I have to say though, with this latest revelation: in terms of sheer entertainment, election '08 beats Lost, Dexter, Desperate Housewives, and everything else on tv.

It says in the article that McCain knew. You should probably read the article next time.

Senior McCain campaign officials said McCain knew of the daughter's pregnancy when he selected Palin last week as his vice presidential running mate, deciding that it did not disqualify the 44-year-old governor in any way.

In the short period since she was announced last Friday, Palin has helped to energize the Republican Party's conservative base, giving the McCain camp fresh energy going into the campaign for the November 4 election against Democrat Barack Obama.

McCain officials said the news of the daughter's pregnancy was being released to rebut what one aide called "mud-slinging and lies" circulating on liberal blog sites.

According to these rumors, Sarah Palin had faked a pregnancy and pretended to have given birth in May to her fifth child, a son named Trig who has Down syndrome. The rumor was that Trig was actually Bristol Palin's child and that Sarah Palin was the grandmother.

A senior McCain campaign official said the McCain camp was appalled that these rumors had not only been spread around liberal blog sites and partisan Democrats, but also were the subject of heightened interest from mainstream news media.

"The despicable rumors that have been spread by liberal blogs, some even with Barack Obama's name in them, is a real anchor around the Democratic ticket, pulling them down in the mud in a way that certainly juxtaposes themselves against their 'campaign of change,"' a senior aide said.

It says in the article that McCain knew. You should probably read the article next time.

That just makes it worse. I liked the pick initially, but this doesn't help matters.

Unfortunately, yes, it does. I didn't take any of the other things that have been talked about seriously. This is the only one that's a pretty big deal.

That just makes it worse. I liked the pick initially, but this doesn't help matters.

I was thinking the same thing.

Why has Obama slipped? It seems like his campaign has really shifted from the change and A New Hope message to... just another campaign. The "Enough" message was fine, but what else were we to expect?

I didn't take any of the other things that have been talked about seriously. This is the only one that's a pretty big deal.

Personally I find the fact that her and McCain are both going around peddling an outright lie about her saying "No thanks" to that Bridge to Nowhere mess a lot more damning, but whatevs.

So, it does. :)

It should be noted, Palin has went on record as saying she doesn't believe in sex ed classes. She thinks teaching abstinence works.

See...here's the dilema we have.

On the one hand, I don't personally care if McCain cheated on his first wife. I don't care if Palin's teenage daughter is pregnant. I don't care if Palin's running for VP after having just had a baby. This is their personal lives, and it has nothing to do with how well they'd perform their jobs.

However, I am bothered by the utter hypocrisy of the conservatives on these issues. You know if these were Democrats, they'd be ALL OVER THEM for this stuff.

The dilema is how to point out their hypocrisy without looking like you're criticizing the initial situation. Here we have the Palins, the darlings of the "family values" crowd, who want to use government to impose their idea of Christian morality on other people....but their own lives are testaments to the fact that their own rules don't always work.

The dilema is how to point out their hypocrisy without looking like you're criticizing the initial situation.

Or, you know, you could just attack them on substantive policy issues and leave pointless personal bullshit out completely.

Palin herself was rumoured to have had a shotgun wedding (like mother, like daughter). She got married in late August, her first son was born in April and there was talk of their elopement being due to pregnancy.

I feel bad for the teenagers. Do they even want to get married?

The dilema is how to point out their hypocrisy without looking like you're criticizing the initial situation.

Or, you know, you could just attack them on substantive policy issues and leave pointless personal bullshit out completely.

John Edwards and Bill Clinton say hello.

That's the dilema....should hypocrisy be exploited for political gain? Obviously the actual Obama campaign should remain silent on this, but the bloggers and the left-leaning pundits? That's a tougher call.

Here's our latest polling numbers...

pollingdata_09012008.jpg

As usual, CNN shows the smallest gap between the two candidates. No Zogby poll this time to throw the average in McCain's favor.

Just because the McCain camp says they knew doesn't mean they did. They would look like bumbling idiots by claiming that they didn't know. I think they probably were aware of it (I like to think no one is that inept), but regardless, they are going to act as if they were.

I didn't take any of the other things that have been talked about seriously. This is the only one that's a pretty big deal.

Personally I find the fact that her and McCain are both going around peddling an outright lie about her saying "No thanks" to that Bridge to Nowhere mess a lot more damning, but whatevs.

How dare you focus on the issue Jerk!

Is it weird that I feel a little sorry for her Not for her stances, but for the whole thing wither her daughter. Ok, let me rephrase that: I feel bad for the daughter. Nobodies daughter should be dragged into this shit.

I'm more concerned about the "supported Pat Buchanan in 2000 'cuz Bush wasn't conservative enough" and "seems to have supported Alaskan secession from the US".

I'm more concerned about the "supported Pat Buchanan in 2000 'cuz Bush wasn't conservative enough" and "seems to have supported Alaskan secession from the US".

She's also a higher up in Feminists for life who , apart from obviously being pro life, consider contraception an abortion method.

Post-convention, that's not too bad!

But like I said, I don't trust polls.

Why not? Most of the polls in 2004 were generally accurate. If you look at RCP's electoral predictions for 2004, they only got Wisconsin wrong. So I would trust the polls.

I believe their current electoral count has Obama just slightly over the top.

The McCain camp was predicting a 16-point bump in the polls for Obama to intentionally make him look like he'd underperform when the numbers weren't really turn out that high.

People forget the reason Bill Clinton got a huge bump in the polls in 1992 was that Perot dropped out of the race during the Democratic Convention, and Clinton led by double digits for the rest of the summer until Perot jumped back in. (That info is easily forgotten by conservatives because it also disproves the theory that Bush would have won if Perot hadn't been running.)

Post-convention, that's not too bad!

But like I said, I don't trust polls.

Why not? Most of the polls in 2004 were generally accurate. If you look at RCP's electoral predictions for 2004, they only got Wisconsin wrong. So I would trust the polls.

I believe their current electoral count has Obama just slightly over the top.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/20...op_results.html

Very wide margin of error, or the sample size isn't large enough, doesn't hit demographics correctly, etc. Very large difference in a few of those.

Good point, but we also have to acknowledge the differences between primaries and caucuses, and general elections, in terms of voter turn-out. That could really throw-off the reliability factor.

Sign in to follow this