Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Guest Vitamin X

Top 10 Things to look forward to at the Republican National Convention:

1. Men’s rooms specially designed to allow for a wide stance

2. Overenthused delegates start drilling for oil on convention floor

3. Sarah Palin stopped by security, asked for ID

4. Enraged, chanting crowd burns effigy of Keith Olbermann

5. Confused Ron Paul delegate forgets which convention he’s at, shows up wearing Iron Man costume

6. Repeated attempts to serve both God and Mammon

7. Angry women in heavy makeup who refuse to accept they haven’t been a trophy wife since 1984

8. Nights two and three entirely dedicated to explaining that Bill Clinton must be stopped before he destroys the world

9. Fred Thompson challenges Karl Rove to an old-fashioned Tennessee jowl-off

10. More black speakers than in the last hundred and fifty years combined

About an hour ago on Fox News, Mort Kondrake got yelled at by a disgusted Bill Kristol for even suggesting this pregnancy is evidence abstinence-only programs don't work, because birth control is available in Alaska (Bill Kristol apparently has no idea what abstinence-only education means). The rest of the panel insisted Kondrake didn't know what he was talking about, since he didn't know what they used. Kondrake responded that whatever they used, it obviously wasn't abstinence.

Someone on another board I was reading made a good point...

I like how they want to make this a “private matter” and ask for the media to back off, but they are happy to pontificate and legislate matters of sexuality and pregancy.

Bizarre how the McCain campaign made it a point to note that the daughter came to the decision to have her child on her own, as if they're suddenly pro-choice or something.

I am just wondering why Palin having a child with down syndrome makes her a good or bad candidate. Every single pundit seems to need to throw that little tidbit in there "She is the mother of five children....................................................the youngest with down syndrome"

So what? I can't fathom why that qualifies or disqualifies you from being a VP.......

And I do agree that it is also hypocritical that politicians want to use their families as props when it is convenient to do so but the second their family does something stupid, their suddenly "off limits" and I have yet to see any attacks on Palin's daughter herself, just boatloads of sarcastic remarks about "abstinence-only" education not working in this case, which seems to be a valid point because it begs the question of what happens when the teenagers make a mistake.

I am just wondering why Palin having a child with down syndrome makes her a good or bad candidate. Every single pundit seems to need to throw that little tidbit in there "She is the mother of five children....................................................the youngest with down syndrome"

So what? I can't fathom why that qualifies or disqualifies you from being a VP.......

And I do agree that it is also hypocritical that politicians want to use their families as props when it is convenient to do so but the second their family does something stupid, their suddenly "off limits" and I have yet to see any attacks on Palin's daughter herself, just boatloads of sarcastic remarks about "abstinence-only" education not working in this case, which seems to be a valid point because it begs the question of what happens when the teenagers make a mistake.

It doesn't count for anything at all, it just throws an exclamation point on the idea that this is a hand-out to the religious right.

However, reality came crashing down on that whole "only parents should explain sex to kids and only abstinence should be encouraged and if somebody has a kid it's the parents' fault" idea because hey, she has a pregnant kid, and in a world where you believe it's all up to the parents to keep the kids' hormones in check, and virginity oaths and promise rings don't work, because you'll eventually find someone hot enough to break it for. In Fundie World, this makes Palin a bad parent for not keeping her kid pure, but hey they're doing the right thing by the Lord by having her carry it and marry the father.

Although, now that the father's MySpace page is being tossed around, I have to wonder what the fuck is going on. A 17 year old and 16 year old are getting a shotgun wedding because Momma is running for Vice President? If I was that boy, I'd be extorting the McCain campaign for as much as I can get.

You want a big happy pro-life family? Pay up.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/pal...cals/index.html

"Fortunately, Bristol is following her mother and father's example of choosing life in the midst of a difficult situation," Family Research Council president Tony Perkins said. "We are committed to praying for Bristol and her husband-to-be and the entire Palin family as they walk through a very private matter in the eyes of the public."

Evangelical leader Richard Land also backed Palin completely.

"This is the pro-life choice. The fact that people will criticize her for this shows the astounding extent to which the secular critics of the pro-life movement just don't get it," Land said in a statement.

The pro-life choice? Really?

And what's with this "private matter" crap? You guys are pro-life. You want the government to regulate reproductive rights. I thought conservatives didn't believe in a right to privacy.

Guest Epic Fail Orange
hello guys,

I have heard McCain's new bitch is hot. Confirm/Deny?

She's a naughty librarian! :wub:

On a serious note, Sarah Palin needs to step down or be told to step down tomorrow as the nominee. It has turned into a hilarious charade.

Anyone hear about how Palin and her husband are member of the Alaska Independence Party, a party who's main goal is to actually allow Alaska a vote to secede from the Union?

The Arizona Independence Party?

This is awesome.

Frankly, I couldn't care which candidate wins at this point.

Guest דניא&#15

I think Palin is going to get Eagletonned. The difference here is that the McGovern campaign was something interesting, not this lifeless trudge that the McCain campaign is.

I'm actually getting a little excited for the Obama administration. It's like handing someone a beat-up old car and saying "fine, jerkass, you fix it."

I think I read that she actually spoke at their convention this year, supporting the party.

So in the last few days we've learned that Sarah Palin has a 17-year old pregnant daughter and that this daughter might actually have given birth to the baby Palin is claiming her own, Played a part in firing her former brother-in-law, who is a state tropper, for divorcing her sister and appearently supports Alaska seceding from the Union...Hilarious :lol: Seeing as the media is jumping all over this, there's gotta be a good chance she'll be taken off the ticket. If so, who steps in? Romney anyone?

MAybe She'll "decline" the position during the nomination process, citing that her priorities are with her family right now or whatever.

This stuff is gonna keep coming up especially with the investigation into the trooper incident ongoing through the campaign. If it comes out in October that she did indeed make the call to fire this guy it would go a long way in sinking McCain.

Either way this makes McCain look like an idiot.

If she resigns from the ticket, McCain loses. Period. Happened with McGovern.

At the rate its going, it is an easy Obama landslide in 2 months. Not that im complaining, of course.

She's fired other people, as Mayor, just not illegally:

If a small-town mayor ever ruled with an iron fist — it was Palin. Eleven days after taking office in 1996, she mailed letters to each of the city’s top managers requesting that they resign as a test of loyalty.

The Anchorage Daily News at the time reported the strange events: (via Nexis)

Mayor Sarah Palin sent the resignation requests Thursday to Police Chief Irl Stambaugh, public works director Jack Felton, finance director Duane Dvorak and Mary Ellen Emmons, the head of libraries. A fifth director — John Cooper, who oversaw the city museum — resigned earlier this month after Palin eliminated his position.

Cooper initially resisted resigning, but to no avail. Palin also later fired the police chief, saying she knew in her “heart” that he did not support her. She left the head of libraries a letter saying she was out — though Palin later decided to spare the librarian after being convinced that she would tow the line.

For what it's worth, it seems even her most superficial credentials are in dispute, as another woman has come forward claiming to be Miss Congeniality from Palin's regional beauty queen days in the early 80s.

I do not believe she will last a week. I've heard people predict she won't even make it through Wednesday, but I think they'll try and stick it out until the Sunday shows absolutely make mince meat out of her and then throw in the towel.

This is such a complete disaster that I wouldn't be rocked if the campaign completely surrendered and spent it's money on assisting Republicans elsewhere. I don't expect it, it's totally unprecedented for one of the two major parties to be completely shut out of a Presidential election, but if it did happen I wouldn't be picking my jaw up off the ground like a lot of other people surely would.

There's a solid 25% of the country who would vote a parakeet in a cage to be President if it was a Republican, and by halting any active campaigning and simply trying to promote Repubicans and their causes everywhere they can, they may be able to sneak through by getting people out to vote for other things and then voting for the President while they're out there.

Guest Epic Fail Orange

Wait, what? Alaska... secede from the Union? And then what, become a Canadian province? It's starting to look like she can't even handle running a small country, let alone our country, so I hope she's given up on that by now.

Oh, its okay. The Mccain team vetted her strongly....they used a google search.

According to this Republican, who would discuss internal campaign strategizing only on condition of anonymity, the McCain team used little more than a Google Internet search as part of a rushed effort to review Palin's potential pitfalls. Just over a week ago, Palin was not on McCain's short list of potential running mates, the Republican said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...0,1915740.story

This makes Mccain look really, really bad. You're going to risk leaving the fate of the free world in the hands of this woman based on a quick google search?

Now, Obama will reveal he knew Joe Biden was cool after he read his profile on wikipedia.

I just, I don't know. I want to say it's over, but I know it's not. Look at this.....

McCain Weaknesses.....

-He's 72

-History of illness (supposedly mental as well as physical)

-Selected a VP in an obvious pandering move that has a laudry list of campaign sinking issues

-Admitted he knew next to nothing about solving the economic issues that are number one in the minds and hearts of voters

-Is not a great speaker and has not really outlined his position on any key issues except those which Republicans have not changed their stance on in decades

-Belongs to the hated GOP party

Obama Weaknesses.....

-Black

-His middle name is Hussein and his last name sounds like Osama

-Is a great orator but has not clearly defined his position on key issues

-Is "young" and lacks experience

-Is supposedly an "elitist"

-His wife can be sassy

-His preacher was a loon

Now, in any normal country, Barack would win by a landslide given the comparison, but we all know this is America and you just can't rule anything out. McCain at one point had no money, none. Now he has a good chance of winning this election for no discernable reason. I've never heard anyone give me a good reason on why McCain should be president except that "we just can't have Obama in the white house."

The National Enquirer had now set up HQ in Alaska. And the whole state is about to be besieged by reporters looking for info on Palin. You know, the stuff Mccain's staff missed when they did their extensive vetting.

Her much lauded 90% approval rating is supposedly BS as well. People have alleged they just keep polling the same 500 people over and over again. I don't think she's that likeable, even if that's supposed to be her number one asset. Her voice reminds me of Marge from Fargo.

People don't vote for the veep though, so I don't think McCain will drop her. This is the problem with picking an unknown- no one knows any skeletons, so when they are all announced at once, it just makes her look bad.

Once she survives the next two weeks, I think she'll be fine. The Republicans won with Quayle, why not with this woman?

There's enough states that Republicans will win, and enough states that they'll be competitive in, that dropping out wouldn't work.

Biden's had his share of follies, but since everyone knows him and knows about that, it's not as bad.

Republicans don't like McCain anyway, so let him fail. If anything, this probably makes Republicans feel vindicated about picking W. over McCain in 2000.

Sign in to follow this