TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, CNN News Ticker.

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama congratulated rival Sen. Hillary Clinton for her wins in Rhode and Island Ohio, but claimed that the path to the Democratic presidential nomination was still clear for his campaign.

Beachfront property in Cincinnati!

What's wrong with these people in Ohio in Texas?

Seriously, it doesn't matter...Obama is still going to win. My big worry is that a longer Democratic primary season increases McCain's odds.

McCain is now faced with picking a VP running mate. Any guesses?

Fucking Hillary. Obama had it in the bag and she appears on SNL and pulls the sympathy card. Man If Mccain wins the election, I expect the draft to come back.

That's a bit simplistic. She's been hammering him all week with pretty strong effective ads, and also the NAFTA thing (a bigger more relevant issue in Ohio than in most places), and he hasn't responded quickly or forcefully enough to it. He basically Kerry'd the last week.

Im happy for once I actually predicted something that happened..

Wait, what? Marv, you predicted that:

Which is exactly why Republicans in open elections will go over to the Democrats and vote Hillary even if it doesnt make sense. Theres no way in the world McCain beats Obama and the Republican nomination is for all intents and purposes locked up for McCain so its a wasted vote..and given both Texas and Ohio are red state enough to have enough votes to cross over to make a difference, I think thats how Hillary wins both tonight and it will be proclaimed "a miracle" and give her back momentum for the next round of primaries.

Considering that Clinton won by a considerable margin in Ohio and considering that the Republican and Democratic polling locations weren't collocated in Texas, you didn't really predict anything accurately.

Hillary raised (or at least hinted at) the possibility of a Clinton/Obama (or vise versa) ticket today.

I really don't see that happening either way, but at least she didn't completely dismiss the idea. She did say "We have to see who comes out on top", first.

I can see Hillary bringing Obama on the ticket. But I can't see Obama bringing Hillary onboard, it completely torpedoes his whole "change" "a new way of doing things" message.

The two have such large swaths of support in the democratic party though, that it's almost a waste though to not pair them up though.

Symbolic victories aside, Hillary is possibly in a worse position than she was before. Because Ohio/Texas where her last chance to pick up major delegates to keep up with Obama, instead, because they were such narrow victories, she only gained 5 or 10. I'm still not sure whether Obama has actually gained more delegates than she has in Texas because the caucus thing hasn't finsihed.

I know Hillary has the whole 'I won the major states' to try and persude SDs to side with her, but if Obama wins Wyoming on Saturday and Mississippi like he's indicated to and then wins or at least does well in Indiana, North Carolina, West Virginia, Oregon, Montana, and South Dakota (which also favour him) he could be looking at a 200 delegate lead by the end of that. The superdelegates won't over turn such a wide margin like that.

Time had a good article called 'Hillary's math problem', basically she could win the next 16 contests, and STILL be behind Obama in delegate count. She has to get every single state with 60%+ and I can't see that happening. She didn't even get that in New York.#

Anyone calling Hillary the comeback kid just hasn't done the maths.

Guest Beastalentier
I can see Hillary bringing Obama on the ticket. But I can't see Obama bringing Hillary onboard, it completely torpedoes his whole "change" "a new way of doing things" message.

The two have such large swaths of support in the democratic party though, that it's almost a waste though to not pair them up though.

You sound like Keith Olbermann after one of their debates. "Wow. Now this is a ticket."

Which is exactly why Republicans in open elections will go over to the Democrats and vote Hillary even if it doesnt make sense. Theres no way in the world McCain beats Obama and the Republican nomination is for all intents and purposes locked up for McCain so its a wasted vote..and given both Texas and Ohio are red state enough to have enough votes to cross over to make a difference, I think thats how Hillary wins both tonight and it will be proclaimed "a miracle" and give her back momentum for the next round of primaries.

Considering that Clinton won by a considerable margin in Ohio and considering that the Republican and Democratic polling locations weren't collocated in Texas, you didn't really predict anything accurately.

Also, according to MSNBC's exit polls self-identified Republicans broke in favor of Obama in Texas and went 50/50 in Ohio. Good job, Nostramarvin.

Has there ever been a state more gullible than Ohio? They lose so many jobs/soldiers yet go for Bush in 2004 and Hillary (whose "experience" includes NAFTA and supoorting the Iraq War) now.

Why is it so hard for so many Americans to just look at their own lives, situations, and bank accounts?

Is it just me or has Clinton changed her rhetoric to almost.... Obama-esque? "This is your campaign. This campaign is about you."

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch.

Has there ever been a state more gullible than Ohio? They lose so many jobs/soldiers yet go for Bush in 2004 and Hillary (whose "experience" includes NAFTA and supoorting the Iraq War) now.

Why is it so hard for so many Americans to just look at their own lives, situations, and bank accounts?

Sadly the same thing can be said about many more states other then Ohio.

I cant think of many other states that lost as many jobs as Ohio but still vote the direct opposite of their personal lives. None, actually.

For the past twenty + years, Americans have been lied to and told elections are about moral issues instead of economic and political ones.

Repeating what I just said doesnt answer the question. Obviously, Americans tend to be incredibly gullible and naive when voting. But, why is it apparently impossible to consider their own actual lives? Is it really just that, gullibility?

The one thing that annoys in Politics and Sports as well

is the way these talking heads talk of just pure disdain for

some of these people...

It's like they hate these people Political but it translates in to a personal hate that annoys me...

I don't necessarily agree w/ John McCain on a lot of his issues...But I think he's an alright guy..

Hell I think Bush is Ok...His Politics suck ass and he's a shitty President...Besides that im sure he's an ok dude

Same w/ Hillary and Barack..But guys like Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck act as if the Democrats

dug Ronald Reagan's remains and pissed on them in front of Nancy...

The hate Hillary has gotten not only from the republicans, but the dems is something that astonishes me as well...

Like besides political differences, what has this woman personally done to you?

Guest Beastalentier
Ohio is the worst state.

I bet Ohio really sucks too. Thoroughly average at best and blighted at worst. Dayton, Akron, Lima, Toledo, who cares about any of those cities?

Obama needs to go negative now. He has no choice.

C'mon, how hard it is going to be to track down one of Bill's old bimbos? The republicans have SIX kept aside for the general election, I'm sure the Obama campaign can find one or two. Hey, what's Monica up to?

C'mon, how hard it is going to be to track down one of Bill's old bimbos? The republicans have SIX kept aside for the general election, I'm sure the Obama campaign can find one or two. Hey, what's Monica up to?

Not true. He can still keep his stride. It's essentially mathematically impossible for Obama to lose. (2nd source) (3rd source) Hillary's delegate net gain was in the single digits. This was an upset, but it wasn't a defeat.

(for good measure)

080227_POL_delegateCalcTN.gif

Not true. He can still keep his stride. It's essentially mathematically impossible for Obama to lose. (2nd source) Hillary's delegate net gain was in the single digits. This was an upset, but it wasn't a defeat.

There are the superdelegates. Which Hillary's campaign have said they are counting on. I don't think the SD would over turn the popular vote, but it wouldn't hurt to tarnish her image a little more with them and the voters.

Besides, looking at Clinton's kitchen sink strategy, Obama simply needs to throw some mud back, just to distract her from swiftboating him for a while.

edit: its already started. http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archiv...ign_strikes.php

I was just gonna bring up those tax returns. I think it's legit to bring that up.

Clinton's "red phone" ads did turn quite a few voters, but I doubt we're gonna see some mudslinging from Obama. One staple of his campaign is trying to avoid that shit.

I was just gonna bring up those tax returns. I think it's legit to bring that up.

Clinton's "red phone" ads did turn quite a few voters, but I doubt we're gonna see some mudslinging from Obama. One staple of his campaign is trying to avoid that shit.

Unlike most her smears against him (the Muslim stuff), which is totally BS, most of the stuff he could use against her is probably true or has some legitmacy (whitewater, shady donors, threatening Bill's mistresses).

It's not playing dirty. It's self defence. She started it.

Well, no. Playing up Bill's sexual history is dirty politics at its finest. It has no relevance to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign -- just as Michelle Obama's comments about being proud of America for the first time in her adult life had no relevance to Obama's actual presidential campaign either. Besides bringing up the whole "Oh, do we really want this person as our First Man/First Lady" angle but seriously now, if we were to rank all the qualities we look for in choosing a presidential candidate, I would hope "Spouse" would be near the bottom of the list.

Yes, he should probably hit her back with an accusation or two -- she will have a case for major Superdelegate support if she wins Pennsylvania, even if she is behind in the delegate count -- but for him to smear her in that way would be hugely detrimental to his own campaign.

Well, no. Playing up Bill's sexual history is dirty politics at its finest. It has no relevance to Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign --

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?

Obviously, Bill is some sort of sex addict, and there's nothing Hillary, or any other wife, could really do about that. I don't think it makes her less of a woman or a strong person because she can't control him.

But, say Hillary's in the white house as president, she'll be busy, Bill will be lonely....Mitt Romney pointed this out, as well. Doesn't it make Hillary, and thus America look worse on the world stage if the first gentleman is making international headlines for screwing everyone woman with a pulse? It's embaressing. Who wants to hear about cigars or blowjobs for the next 4 years? We'll hear more about Hillary's personal life than what she's doing in office.

I'm not someone who thinks a poltical spouse be thatat major an issue or should a bearing on whether you vote for a candidate. But, at the same time, it's important that a presidential spouse can carry themselves with some amount of dignity and not get dragged into a scandal every five minutes. Michelle Obama, Cindy McCain (yeah, she had a drug problems but she's been clean for decades) both seem fine, but Bill?

He should be hitting her on-

1) Domestic issues: If she's the best bet for healthcare, why did she fail miserably when she actually had the chance to do something?

2) Foreign policy: If she's the one to be trusted, why did she refuse to look at the evidence/information before voting to go to Iraq in her only major decision on this front? How can she be the experienced candidate when her only major foreign policy decision was an uninformed failure.

3) Honesty/Integrity: Plenty of options here, beginning with the taxes.

he should also-

4) Make a commercial out of Bill Clinton saying vote for thought/hope rather than fear in 2004

Sign in to follow this