TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Unexpected title changes

What title changes were completley random and unexpected?

I'd say Fit Finley's TV title win over Booker T in '98 pretty much came out of nowhere. Psichosis' Cruiserweight title win in '99 was also pretty unexpected even though he lost it a week later. Steve Corino's ECW title reign was a complete shock to me as well.

Booker T's first tv title (The Nitro the night after starrcade 97 I think) was a big out of nowhere shock to me as Harlem Heat was still teaming at the time and there ha dbeen no indication that Booker was going to the singles rank, let alone receieving a title push.

MNM winning the tag titles in their first WWE tv match was a bit of a shock (Well it would have been if I had not accidentally read a spoiler for it, just liek the nuzio one)

Kane's lone WWF title at King Of The Ring 98 was seemingly unexpected, but logistically there was no way for Kane to lose the match (since it was first blood and Kane was wearing his mask and a new full body suit)

others I can think of

Vince Mcmahon beating HHH for the WWF title on Smackdown in 9/99

Foleys first (Rock has just started his first reign as champ and it seemed the logical thing was for him to hold the title until dropping it to Austin at mania 15) and third wwf titles(though I remember a small uproar on the net over "Austin's unwillingness to job to HHH")

Rocky Maivia winning the IC title on Thursday Raw Thursday (The night of Shawns "Lost My Smile" Speech) -well maybe not considering WWF was clearly trying to push Rock as the enxt big Number one babyface champ.

Eric Bischoff's attempt to ripoff the WWF by having Prince Iakea win the TV title from Steven Regal on Nitro

Kane also had to win at KotR '98 because of the 'edgy' booking of him burning himself alive if he lost.

I dont think Ill ever be more shocked by a title change than actually seeing HHH tap out for Benoit at WMXX.

I thought everyone saw the MNM title win from a mile away. It was pretty clear they were going to win since Eddie was definitely going to turn on Rey soon.

Foley's first WWF title win was surprising, but not as it happened since Tony S. kinda ruined it.

Disco Inferno winning the TV title in 97 also seemed random.

Bret Hart's first title win at a house show against Ric Flair was kinda surprising...

Kevin Nash killing Bob Backlund for the title at that MSG house show in 94 was outta the blue considering Bob just won it like a week earlier...

Chris Jericho winning the Undisputed Championship. I didn't have the Internet back then so it was a HUGE shock to me.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Porkchop Cash being picked out of the audience and beating Americas champ John Tolas in LA in 1976(?)

Chris Jericho winning the Undisputed Championship.  I didn't have the Internet back then so it was a HUGE shock to me.

It actually was a shock to some people that did have Internet, since WWE wasn't really booking Jericho like a favorite to win the Undisputed Championship heading into Vengeance. Sure, he turned on The Rock and had a major feud with him back then, but I still don't think Jericho was being booked strongly at all back in 2001, which is why I think it shocked even a certain amount of Internet fans.

Of course, most of the Internet fans figured that WWE put the title on Jericho (in unclean fashion, of course) because WWE had no other alternatives for title holders since Angle, Rock, and Austin had already had enough title reigns by then. Also, Jericho was clearly booked as a transition champion so that HHH would win the title at Wrestlemania X-8 only 2 months after he came back from his quad injury. That's how Jericho was labeled by some as the "New Ronnie Garvin".

Guest jm29195

Punk winning the ROH belt on what was supposedly his last show and he still hasn't dropped it yet.....

Taz beating Awesome and then Dreamer beating Taz and Credible beating Dreamer was pretty unexpected but then so was Awesome's defection....

Punk winning the ROH belt on what was supposedly his last show and he still hasn't dropped it yet.....

Taz beating Awesome and then Dreamer beating Taz and Credible beating Dreamer was pretty unexpected but then so was Awesome's defection....

Everything there.

Mike Awesome also winning in the first place at Anarchy Rulz, and certainly Taz being the first eliminated.

Good call, whoever mentioned the Dudleys thing as well.

Jericho winning the Undisputed Title for me, as well.

JBL's reign was really surprising to me, too. I always thought he was just going to get it for a brief time.

The thing with Jericho winning the undisputed title was that people should've suspected somethign was up as soon as they booked the card. Austin was the WWF champ and Rock was the World champ. If they were planning to unify the titles, why not just have a champion vs. champion match. Considering it would be Austin-Rock, title-for-title, they could've hyped the shit out of that and drawn a huge buyrate off those two.

The only reason they didn't do that because there was no plan to actually have that match (i.e.- the title was going to somebody else- Jericho).

Smoking Gunns beating Owen Hart & Yokozuna for the tag team belts on the Monday Night Raw following the In Your House 3 pay-per-view. Seemed totally out of nowhere to me when I was a mark at the time period, because I just thought Owen & Yoko were unbeatable, especially after they'd retained against Lex Luger & the British Bulldog @ In Your House 2 (which I found to be a huge shock).

Bret Hart's first title win at a house show against Ric Flair was kinda surprising...

Kinda surprising? This was an out-of-left-field shock.

LOL yeah I guess you're right...I stopped watching wrestling for a good chunk of 92, started watching again in November and saw that Hart was the world champ and I was like WTF???

Ron Simmons beating Vader.

Harts beating the Bulldogs (when it happened).

Bre

was Goldberg's first title win a shocker? I can't recall if the IWC already knew it was going to happen or not...if anything at least it was shocking that WCW pulled it out on live cable TV as opposed to PPV...

yeah, but like I say, if anything was shocking it was the timing of it...I'm pretty certain a Goldberg/Hogan PPV match would have drawn a rather large buyrate, at least back at that point...they must have REALLY wanted ratings badly back then...

Yes Eric Bischoff lived and died by the ratings. He would have put Austin vs Hogan on free TV if it meant beating WWE's ratings. The only thing he had patience for to put on PPV was Sting/Hogan, and that WAS a shock.

I'd say Goldberg's World Title reign was a shock only because I expected a DQ or no contest finish. Goldberg's streak would have continued but Hogan wouldn't have had to job the belt off.