TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

Favorite Gimmick Match?

Of all the gimmick matches showcased in professional wrestling, what's yours and what's a perfect example? From Scaffold Matches to Ultimate Submission, there are plenty to choose from. Personally, I think I enjoy a good old ladder match. The first one I saw was Michaels/Ramon II on a Shawn Michaels Highlight Colliseum Video.

I want to say TLC because it entertains the hell out of me but I think it'll grow old fast. I think I'm just going to go with with a good old hardcore match, No Holds Barred, No DQ, whateva....seeing guys going to the backstage hitting each other with chairs and chains is ALWAYS fun.

Street Fights.

Especially if the usage of the street or heavy use of backstage leads to something big, yet unexpected, and isn't just a "hey, let's go back here for a while and hit each other" scenario. Although, I don't like street fights where you have to make the pin in the ring. Although, KOTR 01 was a good one because they played up the exhaustion of Kurt having to pull/wheel Shane back to the ring, both men totally drained of energy.

For the most part though, let them beat each other up and tell a good story with it (Yes, it is actually possible)

Classic I-Quit matches, before submissions became so commonplace and before the gimmick was killed by being used in feuds that didn't warrant an I-quit stip.

I prefer a straight-up match like the one-on-one WWF 2000 main events were, but if I had to pick a gimmick match, it'd be an Iron Man as HHH/Rock did it.

EDIT: Niskie nailed it on the head. I Quit is the shit.

Guest wildpegasus

As long as the gimmick match doesn't hinder everything I'm usually a fan of them.

War Games

Thunderqueen

2 out of 3 falls

Streetfights

Elimination tags

Falls count anywhere

Texas Tornado

Cage with no escape rules though I will say I do love a couple of cage matches that have escape rules.

The Iron Man Hell in a Cell Match where you can only get a fall after your opponent is bleeding!

...oh wait, I just made that up. N/m.

For some reason, I liked the King of the Mountain match. Unique idea and style of competing.

Guest J0bber

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Royal Rumble. My favorite is a tie between the "Royal Rumble" match and a battle royale. It's pretty interesting when you have about five different fights going on in different portions of the ring.

Side Note: Took me two years, but I finally made it to post 100.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Royal Rumble. My favorite is a tie between the "Royal Rumble" match and a battle royale. It's pretty interesting when you have about five different fights going on in different portions of the ring.

A yes...Royal Rumble too.

Royal Rumble would have to be my favorite WWF/E match.

Guest MikeSC

Royal Rumbles are usually excellent -- but I do think those matches, more than any other gimmick, REALLY needs top-notch booking.

Battle royals, though? I find most of them to be quite horrible.

War Games. Nuff said.

Amen. They really need to bring that back... I only hope and pray at some point the E puts both Wargames 87 matches on DVD some time.

I dont know how many of you saw it but my favorite ever gimmick match was the lethal lottery in WCW. Basically a tag team tournament where the tag partners are picked out of a hat so you had Sting team with Abdullah the Butcher and Luger with Brad Armstrong and the like which made for some different combos. Then the winners of the tag matches were gathered at the end of the night for the main event which was a battle royal with the winner getting cash and a world title shot. The one I saw had the Great Muta winning it.

Second best I guess is the royal rumble.

I'm a huge battle royal mark. To me, it's interesting seeing who gets eliminated when as it's kind of a barometer for the pecking order. Plus, I like seeing which jobber/lower card wrestler sneaks into the final half dozen.

I'm a huge battle royal mark.  To me, it's interesting seeing who gets eliminated when as it's kind of a barometer for the pecking order.  Plus, I like seeing which jobber/lower card wrestler sneaks into the final half dozen.

Exactly.

Add me to the I Quit and Royal Rumble list, as well. I would say Ladder matches, but it's been done to death way too much since 2000. Remember in the mid-90's when you only got one Ladder match on TV every couple of years? Now we seem to have at least 5 a year (why, there's one on Sunday!).

I too love battle royals and the Royal Rumble for the same reasons mentioned above. I also loved the old school War Games until 1994 (Rhodes-Parker atrocity) and the Hogan cronies who took it over and made it a joke of its former self.

Stairway to Hell never got enough respect, but Royal Rumble is by far my favourite.

What was said about the possibility of an I Quit being great storytelling, that was excatly right.

Not so much a Battle Royal, the anticipation of Royal Rumble is what makes it so great.

Judy Bagwell on a pole match only kidding

Iron man and Wargames were it though, I thought the triple cage from R2R and WCW 2000 was an interesting concept.

Judy Bagwell on a pole match only kidding

On a forklife remember, no pole could hold the former WCW Tag Team Champion.

Anyway, my favourite is the Royal Rumble match. Granted, poor booking can make it shitty but it's still a match I look forward to every year.