TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gWIL

I got called unAmerican by my Dean,

When it directly refers to and thus endorses Christainity it does.

How does "under god" directly refer to christianity?

What else is it refering to? If it was "one nation under your belief system" I would have no problems with it. I do not believe in God, why say something that honors something I don't believe to exist?

Moment Of Silence :

A Guide for Teachers and Parents

Indiana’s New Moment of Silence Law:

On April 25, 2005 Governor Daniels signed into law SB 332, a new law supported by 46 members of the Indiana Senate and 86 members of the Indiana House. The new law, which became effective on July 1, 2005 provides:

• A United States flag to be displayed in each classroom of a school corporation.

• Requires a school corporation to provide a daily opportunity for students to voluntarily recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Provides an exemption for students who choose (or whose parents choose for them) not to participate in the Pledge.

• Requires a school corporation to establish a daily moment of silence in each classroom or on school grounds.

What the new law means for Indiana classrooms?

Pledge of Allegiance:

• All Indiana classrooms will have a United States flag and the Pledge of Allegiance will be voluntarily recited.

• Schools may inform students that they do not have to participate. Parents may also choose for their students to not participate.

Moment of Silence

:

• Indiana teachers are required under the law to ensure that students remain seated or standing and silent and make no distracting display so that each student may voluntarily exercise their choice to meditate, pray, or engage in other silent activity.

• Teachers may not suggest or encourage how a student uses the moment of silence.

Is a Moment of Silence Constitutional?

Yes. The moment of silence has been ruled constitutional.

In 1985, the United States Supreme Court struck down a New Jersey statute and a section of an Alabama statute because the court failed to find any legitimate secular purpose in the case of Wallace v. Jaffree.

However, at that time the court stated that they would uphold a statute if a valid secular purpose can be found.

This is the basis in which several state statutes have been upheld. One of the most recent opinions issued in 2001 by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Brown v. Gilmore, stated that a Virginia statute mandating the establishment of a "minute of silence" in the state's public schools did not violate the First Amendment's Establishment Clause. The statute had at least two legitimate purposes, one that was clearly secular, in seeking to give students a moment for quiet reflection, and one that accommodated religion by allowing those children who wished to pray silently each day in school an opportunity to do so. The court also said the statute was neutral as to religion and that the state was not excessively entangled with religion.

The language of the Indiana statue mirrors Virginia’s statute.

Parents:

Parents should be aware of the new law and communicate to the student’s teacher whether or not their student is participate in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Parents should advise their students to comply with the moment of silence and for their student to not be distracting during this time. Whether a student chooses to meditate, pray, or remain silent should be discussed between the parent and child.

Teachers:

Schools are cautioned to neither encourage nor discourage religious activity. School officials may not organize, mandate, or participate in student religious activities, including prayer. A moment of silence may be announced by school officials only as a moment of silence and can not be referred to in any other way.

Provided you don't mind shitty medical care, snotty citizens who are convinced they're funny, and a military that would get routed by a stiff breeze.

Hey, way to fulfil the stereotype Mike, you ignorant piece of shit.

I am just suprised anyone gave a shit that you didn't stand up. I mean it probably caused a bigger situation to even acknowledge your sitting down then to just ignore it and look the other way.

What's the story with the Pledge, anyway? Is it done as well as the Anthem playing? Because then it's just superfluous.

At our school we had the anthem play every assembly (Monday mornings). From memory, everyone stood for it (except for disabled people and the like). Why wouldn't you?

That said, if you want to rebel against the words "under God" being in the pledge then write a letter to someone or, just as people said, don't say that bit. Just sitting there is pointless and makes you look like a little shit rebelling for the sake of being radical.

Guest Vitamin X

Which makes it all the more stereotypical seeing as he's a teenager in high school. Like, duh.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
standing for the pledge is simply a sign of respect for your nation

And if you don't have respect for it?

Allah doesn't like it when you make fun of Jesus.

Sure Allah thinks followers of Christ are the infidels and all, but to actually make fun of Jesus is a no-no. Something about Jesus being part of the "God" establishment and all. And the powerful protect the powerful.

Oh, and making fun of Jesus is one of the worst things you can do to a Muslim male...

Anyone who doesn't believe in some form of god is an atheist or a wiccan, and they both suck. Therefore, "under god" should remain in the pledge, and you should be forced to say it, because if you don't want to, you are stupid and cannot be trusted to make your own decisions.

Allah doesn't like it when you make fun of Jesus.

Sure Allah thinks followers of Christ are the infidels and all, but to actually make fun of Jesus is a no-no. Something about Jesus being part of the "God" establishment and all. And the powerful protect the powerful.

Oh, and making fun of Jesus is one of the worst things you can do to a Muslim male...

Muslims consider Jesus a prophet, but not the messiah. And I know they called muhammed the great prophet, so does that mean he's just the #1 prophet or does that translate to the messiah. For some reason I have it in my head muslims don't have a "messiah" and just have prophets with muhammed being the leader or the best one. but i could be wrong.

Anyone who doesn't believe in some form of god is an atheist or a wiccan, and they both suck.

Hi, agnostic here!

you should be forced to say it, because if you don't want to, you are stupid and cannot be trusted to make your own decisions.

*clears throat*

Suck my balls.

No, it doesn't really. First of all, I'm calling shenanagans on your story, because no principal would be dumb enough to subject himself to the shitstorm something like this would cause. Second, standing for the pledge is simply a sign of respect for your nation, and it has nothing to do with separation of church and state. Separation of church and state has nothing to do with the pledge, really, either; maybe they shouldn't have "under God" in it, but that doesn't make it necessarily religious anyways. You're just being an ornery, snotty brat.

Agreed.

I just called the Indiana branch of the ACLU and they informed that the school can not make me stand and that they would get back to me.

Pussy.

Quit being such a bitch you cock sucking asshat.  I hate organized religion, but i hate little shits like you even more.  It does not hurt anyone to just stand during the pledge, it will not be the downfall of our society, just suck it up and do it.  Eat donkey shit you rimjob giving rectal wort.

Exactly.

But then again, it's that teenage "I KNOW IM RIGHT DAMMIT IM SMARTER THAN PEOPLE AND I DONT NEED TO SHOW RESPECT TO ANYONE BECAUSE I WANT TO STICK IT TO THOSE HIGH AND MIGHTY CHRISTIANS SO I WONT STAND BECAUSE THATS NOT HIGH AND MIGHTY AND SELF CENTERED AND THE PLEDGE IS PRAYER!!! OMGBUSHROVEARGH2005.

Dude, you're fucking tool.

No one claims you don't have the right to sit down. I'm just saying your choice to sit down makes it obvious that you're a whiny bitch and probably an abuse victim.

Or maybe he is just standing up (or, rather, sitting down) for something he believes in (or, in this case, doesn't believe in).

GwiL:

I'm not asking to ban it, just asking to be allowed to quietly sit with out being told I MUST stand up. What's wrong with me sitting quietly?

No, he's using the right to protest in order to draw attention to him for a cause he marginally believes in. Therefore, he is either:

A) A drama queen

or

B) A student council member, which is far more indefensible.

There's nothing wrong with protest, but there's no reason to draw unncessary attention to yourself because you think you've got some shiteating grin on your face and you think today is the day to STICK IT TO THE MAN and flip the bird to America. The Pledge is hardly a burden on atheists, agnostics, wiccans, or canines. It's a little show of respect. You can stand and keep your fucking mouth shut for all I care, but refusing to stand because you don't believe in God is just plain nancy boyism.

Oh come on! I acknowledged that he has the right to do what he did, I was just stating that anyone who actually utilizes that right is worthy of disdain for being a nancy boy. What the hell is wrong with keeping your self-righteous crap to yourself? There are circumstances that are very worthy of protest, and by all means, I support your right to march when your freedoms are being encroached. But when some high schooler posts something that probably didn't even happen with the intention of drawing sympathy and support on an internet message board, I'm GONNA roast him for his snivelling crybabyism. It's the American way.

I realized I don't care enough to even discuss the little not standing up to fight the power bitch.

Stand up or don't, don't care. But don't give the bullshit excuse. Say you were too lazy to stand and so you sat on your ass. Simple enough.