TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Worst excuse to get out of a job/angle?

What do you think are some of the most ridiculous reasons given my wrestlers to get out of a job or particular storyline over the years?

Nash not wanting to job to Giant because he had a "heart attack".

He's an HBK mark, dude.  Just ignore him.

Since I'm sure I'll be raked over the coals for saying this, let me explain my side. First off, I'm a huge Bret mark, and despise Shawn Michaels, but I like to think that it doesn't stop me from looking at this objectively. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen an HBK mark look at this from an unbiased POV, it's always "refusing to lose in your home country is ridiculous" (naturally, ignoring that Shawn had refused to job to anyone, anywhere, period,) or "Bret takes himself too seriously, whining because he lost in a worked sport" or some other such nonsense.

Bret was absolutely not right for refusing to job. There are very few situations where it's right to refuse a job, IMO (the Austin/TT situation being one exception), and if I was Bret in that situation, I probably would have ended up going through with the job. That's not to say I wouldn't have tried to find another way to job it, but I wouldn't have walked away without dropping the belt, which would have happened had he not dropped it in Montreal.

But at the same time, this one isolated situation hardly warrants what Vince and company did to him, and hardly compares to all the careers that have been wrecked by Shawn and his chip off the ol' block, Hunter.

I gotta go with "not feeling it" as well...if I told someone to do something and they said they're "not feeling it" I'd tell them to feel their way out the door...

refresh my memory, what fued was UT referring to with that line, again?

I want to say that more than one job is covered by that excuse. The worst being the Brock one prior to the HITC match that got changed to a DQ. But don't hold be to that specific instance.

He did put him over pretty good a month later in the HIAC tho

Especially how he made it look like Brock only beat him because he had a broken hand....

i don't think they made the broken hand a big deal like 'the' reason Taker lost, it was still a clean victory for Brock.

He's an HBK mark, dude.  Just ignore him.

Since I'm sure I'll be raked over the coals for saying this, let me explain my side. First off, I'm a huge Bret mark, and despise Shawn Michaels, but I like to think that it doesn't stop me from looking at this objectively. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen an HBK mark look at this from an unbiased POV, it's always "refusing to lose in your home country is ridiculous" (naturally, ignoring that Shawn had refused to job to anyone, anywhere, period,) or "Bret takes himself too seriously, whining because he lost in a worked sport" or some other such nonsense.

Bret was absolutely not right for refusing to job. There are very few situations where it's right to refuse a job, IMO (the Austin/TT situation being one exception), and if I was Bret in that situation, I probably would have ended up going through with the job. That's not to say I wouldn't have tried to find another way to job it, but I wouldn't have walked away without dropping the belt, which would have happened had he not dropped it in Montreal.

But at the same time, this one isolated situation hardly warrants what Vince and company did to him, and hardly compares to all the careers that have been wrecked by Shawn and his chip off the ol' block, Hunter.

Being that I'm the lowly, biased, ignore-worthy "HBK mark" you're referring to, allow me to discuss my side a bit.

I've never hidden my preference over Shawn Michaels on this board, nor do I think it is cause for shame or anything, although that's what many anti-HBK people here would like to think. I find it rich that favoritism over a particular wrestler is reason enough for being ignored.

Alfdogg, I have a surprise for you. I'm also a Bret Hart fan. Oh my God! How ...is that possible? If you're an "HBK mark" aren't you automatically a Bret Hart hater? Not in my case. I like to think I'm also objective on the matter of the much-discussed Montreal Incident/Screwjob. Dude, back then, when I read about Bret going to WCW I almost had a heart attack, and I was sure WWF would fold. That's how concerned I was with Bret leaving. Do I support Vince's choice in the matter? Yes, I do. As a boss you have to do what you deem necessary for your company's well-being. Could it have been resolved better? No doubt, but both sides seemed unable or unwilling to come to terms and the rest is history. Is HBK responsable too? To a degree, although he was doing what he was told, but some people like to make him the sole culprit or the mastermind behind it and I think that's not fair.

Was HBK an asshole to some wrestlers back then? Sure he was, I'm not denying it, although I'd like to hear about that huge list of wrestlers whose lives he wrecked. He's gotten out of a lot of championship match jobs. Michaels now seems a changed man, and he's been given a new opportunity to perform on a grand stage and I think he's doing that admirably.

On topic, Bret refused to job in front of his Canadian fans. Wether it was the main reason he refused or not doesn't matter to me. It was ONE of his reasons and that is a fact. I'm not saying Bret should be remembered by this incident forever, neither was I trying to imply that. His legacy goes beyond that particular moment. I was just answering a question posted.

Sorry about this, didn't want to turn it into another HBK discussion.

Alfdogg, I have a surprise for you. I'm also a Bret Hart fan. Oh my God! How ...is that possible? If you're an "HBK mark" aren't you automatically a Bret Hart hater? Not in my case.

Well, for all I knew, you could have just been posting that to get a reaction after the "lost smile" posts. So, I'm glad you explained your actual reasons behind saying it.

Is HBK responsable too? To a degree, although he was doing what he was told, but some people like to make him the sole culprit or the mastermind behind it and I think that's not fair.

No doubt Vince was the mastermind behind it, but "he was doing what he was told" is a bit of a stretch, I think. I doubt Vince had to twist his arm.

I'd like to hear about that huge list of wrestlers whose lives he wrecked.

I didn't say "lives", I said "careers." Big difference. It's not a "huge" list, per se, but anyway:

Shane Douglas (and a big ECW career hardly compares to that of one in the WWE)

Bam Bam Bigelow was promised a ME push after jobbing to LT, and never got it due to Clique conflict

Refused to job the title to Vader on two occasions, ruining any last chances to rebuild him after he was run out of WCW by Hogan & company

Refused a program with Owen Hart after Montreal, Owen was promptly buried by HHH and never left the midcard afterwards

Not to mention that everyone he's worked with not named HHH or Kurt Angle since his return has mysteriously descended into midcard hell after the feuds end.

"Not to mention that everyone he's worked with not named HHH or Kurt Angle since his return has mysteriously descended into midcard hell after the feuds end."

Where to begin...

- Shawn gave Batista his first big pinfall lost on PPV, one-on-one. Batista never recovered. Oh wait, he's a World Champion.

- Remember when Shawn beat Benoit on Raw in February 04? And superkicked him into oblivion during the contract signing? OMG Shawn stole his WM spot!~! Benoit would never recover, going on the win the World Title at WM 20, the WWE's most hyped PPV ever, then making Shawn TAP OUT, and then beating Shawn AGAIN on Raw while holding the title for several more months.

- Remember when Shawn first worked Randy Orton in Orton's first-ever PPV singles match? Shawn went over. Orton was BURIED afterwards, having an AMAZING IC Title run, pinning Foley clean twice, and then winning the World Heavyweight Title. Mysterious drop the to mid-card!!!!

So who is it Shawn buried? JERICHO? He was buried LONGGGG before Shawn dragged some good matches out of him, most notably at Mania 19.

I suppose Chris Masters would be your next piece of evidence. Yeah, Masters surely had the talent to succeed as an upper carder. You're an idiot. Working with HBK was an honor for Masters, and he showed he belongs right in the mid-card.

HBK/Shelton was ONE match, and Shelton had long since been dopping off the map with numerous matches Vs. Snitsky, no WM title defense, and a soon to be embarassing series Vs. Carlito.

Your argument sucks.

Shawn gave Batista his first big pinfall lost on PPV, one-on-one. Batista never recovered. Oh wait, he's a World Champion.

I didn't see the "never to recover" part on my quote, but go right ahead and put words in my mouth if it helps your argument.

I honestly forgot that Benoit jobbed to Shawn, so you win that one.

Remember when Shawn first worked Randy Orton in Orton's first-ever PPV singles match? Shawn went over.

X

Orton went over. And if I recall, you were the one who claimed that Shawn "put Orton over" in that match.

Orton was BURIED afterwards, having an AMAZING IC Title run, pinning Foley clean twice, and then winning the World Heavyweight Title. Mysterious drop the to mid-card!!!!

Is the I-C title not A MIDCARD TITLE, STUPID? He won that before Foley got him over enough to get to the main events.

He was buried LONGGGG before Shawn dragged some good matches out of him

No, actually *you're* the idiot. And you should probably go a couple paragraphs without misspelling words before you toss that insult out.

Maybe not a refusal to job a particular match/feud, but Triple H has been quoted to say that RVD and Booker T just don't have that factor that connects them with the crowd. Now, Booker T, I can see I suppose. But RVD? That's the best thing about him! Of all things that you could critique about Rob, you pick THAT?

I love "I ain't feelin' it" though. I love it even more that Vince actually went through with not have Brock win because of that excuse though.