TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Team Angle Pusher

Best Basketball Game

college hoops 2k6 is probably the best for pure gameplay. if you prefer nba rules, get NBA 2k6, but it's nowhere near as good.

I actually really like College hoops 2k5 also, it's a pretty damn good game as well.

Guest Coffey

I'm not real big into the 5 on 5 basketball games. I prefer, like, NBA Hangtime. More arcadey than simulation, I guess.

I did like the dunk contest in NBA Live 2005 though.

If you prefer arcadey games, NBA Street Vol. 3 is supposed to be excellent (NBA Jam: Acade is a great game too, but definitely dated graphically)

College Hoops is a more balanced gameplay experience, especially 2k5 which is one of my favorite games period. The NBA game still suffers from some issues with it being too easy to block shots at times and defense not being as tight as it could be (Obviously you could fix those with sliders, but not something a first-timer to basketball games is going to want to do.)

if you want players that you KNOW go with the NBA 2k6 you won't be disappointed, and the graphics are a little better as well. If you're just looking for the best gameplay/deep dynasty and franchise mode go with College Hoops (You could even pick up the 2k5 one for 3-6 bucks preowned and play that)

Edited by jwpeer

King beat me to it.

I haven't played either game but I hear that NBA 2k6 is a lot better than Live from my customers.

Guest Coffey

I don't like the NBA Street series. It's all about dribbling and showing off. The only thing you could show off with in the NBA Jam/Hangtime series were the dunks which are easily block/shovable.

NBA JAM for the Genesis is the best 'vintage' Basketball game, IMO. Its just fucking great.

As for current games, I haven't played Street or the ESPN series, but I'm a massive LIVE 2005 fan. Not 100% sure whether to bother spending the extra to upgrade to 2006.

College Hoops 2k6 is probably the best of the new crop. It has a few little things that I like about it more than the NBA game.

College Hoops 2k5 would be tops alltime for me if it weren't for the bugs. 2k6 will probably take that title soon though.

Plus...Live 95 on Genisis. Still have never lost a game in history.

Guest Leelee

Yes, College Hoops owns this year.

Only thing is that I wish they'd stop changing free throws every year.

Just put a meter there. The end.

Guest Leelee

No. Ugh, I REALLY hated that in 2k4. Now you have to pull back on the trigger to start your motion, then move forward at release. You get the hang of it, eventually... but, it's still bleh.

Sounds almost like the NBA 2K6 method, which I think is as close to perfect as they can get. It feels like I'm actually shooting. This was oneof the first things I noticed when playing the demo at E3, and I was like, "Thank God they fixed the shitty free throw system."

Does EA's 06 have the slam-dunk contest?

I'm told, as far as last year's go, that 2k was better, but the slam dunk contest alone made EA the better buy.

How does it work? Is it like, say, 1080 Snowboarding or the like where the more co mplex the dunk, the more buttons and control twirls in a set amount of time?

My pick is either NBA Jam TE or Hangtime for N64. As far as basketball games go, I've always preferred the arcade style games, though I suspect that's basically because I'm a pretty casual baskteball fan.

My favorites are:

NBA Live '96

NBA Jame TE

NBA Hangtime

I really want to check out the 2K college games, will probably get last year's used after I get my new memory card, but does the new one have the horrible ads like NBA 2K6? I seriously refuse to buy that game just because of that

That one game on the NES where you could punch the guy on the opposing team, I forgot the name of it, but it was a lot of fun.

1. NBA Live 96 (Genesis). It took the innovations of Live 95 and went one better by instituting CAP. It was such an important step forward, and the isometric view made playing infinitely easier than the previous game engine. Its still a joy to play, even to this day. I still mark out for the many dunks the game had. Live 97 was supposed to be an innovation built upon 96, but it just didn;t have the same impact.

2. ESPN NBA 2k5 (PS2). I bought 2k6 and played it, but it wasn't as good as 2k5, which I have since gone back to. The Shot Stick is such a blatant gimmick in my eyes, its not even funny. All they really had to do was tweak the gameplay and tighten up the graphics and physics of the basketball, and not change much else. I have gone on my rants about shot blocking and small, fast players utterly dominating the game at times, but compared to 2k6, they seem like minor problems to me now.

3. NBA Jam TE (Arcade, SNES): I liked Hangtime okay enough, but it seemed way too cheap at times. TE was about the right balance, and you couldn't jump out to a really huge lead, otherwise the comeback would start early and you were just about done. Updated rosters and better game play kept me coming back to it time and again.

4. Double Dribble (Arcade). This game was revolutionary at the time (which was about 1986), and was a true step up from Super Basketball. Some people love the NES version, but to me that was a bit of a different game with the name attached to it. I will always remember that day in 1988 when I pulled a Wilt Chamberlain and scored 100 points on a single quarter.

5. NBA Street, Vol 2 (PS2). A wonderful game, with the perfect mix of strategy, gameplay, and characters to enhance your team aside from the NBA superstars. Accomplishing the triple team dunks were pretty damn cool.

6. Street Hoops (PS2): Without a doubt, the HARDEST basketball game ever put out on the Amercian market. It had a pretty steep learning curve despite the tutorial videos, and you could not get angry at losing and hit the reset button, because the game would erase your progress. Ouch. Despite that, once you got the hang of it and got used to the speed of the game, it was a lot of fun.

7. Super Basketball (Arcade). Konami was always great at putting out sports games in the arcade, and this was no exception. The only problem with it that after you beat the World Champion team (no small feat by that time in the game), it just kept replaying the game over and again, instead of ending it and giving the player a true sense of accomplishment. It was still a great game for the year (1984).

I think thats about it.