TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

I have the Wrestlemania Anthology Collection

Now, don't get me wrong. I've really enjoyed the DVD collection, so far. But, there's one thing about the collection that really annoys me, and that's the fact that they had the gall to literally change the entrance themes of guys like Demolition, Koko B Ware, Dusty Rhodes, and Slick. I really don't understand why they've changed all the entrance songs. Does anyone else here know about this, other than me?

I think its something to do with Jimmy Hart, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

I think its something to do with Jimmy Hart, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

Yeah, that's what I heard too. Jimmy Hart was making most of these themes, and owned them partially, but they didn't want to pay the royalties for some reason.

That doesn't explain why Taker doesn't have "Rollin'" at Mania X8 (haven't looked at the X-Seven disk yet), especially since he does at XIX from what I've read.

Guest GoJoe

I have Volume III, way after when Jimmy left and there's a couple themes changed and the Salt and Pepper segment at XI is completely removed.

I'm sure the contract for Limp Bizkit to perform at WMXIX said that WWE has the right to use this performace on any future video releases, blah blah blah, but their agreement to use the recording of "Rollin'" has expired. What gets me is that for some reason, at WMVIII, they replaced Flair's WWF theme, which they own, with his classic/current theme, which they don't own. And I'm sure WWE doesn't have any copyright issues with that one, since they've used it in video and game releases (my VHS copy of No Mercy 2002 uses it, as well as Day of Reckoning for Gamecube).

Rick Derringer did the Demolition theme ... yet I'm sure "Real American" was left in tact.

Jimmy Hart I'm sure did several of those other altered themes ... yet I bet Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels' themes weren't changed.

I don't know what the problem is.

WWE editing DVD's, now thats enough to piss a n*gga off.

I hate it. :angry:

They edited a lot of the songs but not really well as if you listen closely you can still hear the music in the background as they still left the commentary in tact for most of it. )WM3 and WM6 particularly)

I have the first 2 sets up to WM11 and these are all the songs I noticed were edited:

WM1 - JYD - "Another One Bites the Dust", US Express - "Born in the USA", Hogan - "Eye of the Tiger" and I'm sure they put in new music for Liberace's entrance. The closing and opening themese were also altered. I'm still surprised they could use Cyndi Lauper's music though.

WM2 - I'm pretty sure there were no music alterations

WM3 - Hillbilly Jim, Koko B Ware and Ricky Steamboat and they took out the song used in the closing credits by Aretha Franklin and just used her National Anthem singing from the beginning instead

WM4 - Muraco/Superstar Billy Graham, Ricky Steamboat, Slick/Reed, Demolition

WM5 - Slick/Twin Towers, Demolition (they seemed to edit some of the Piper's Pit segment as well when Piper chased Brother Love away after ripping his kilt off)

WM6 - Koko B Ware, Demolition, Dusty Rhodes, Orient Express, Big Boss Man, Slick/Akeem, Jimmy Snuka and I'm sure for some reason they edited out Finkel announcing the SkyDome attendance for the show

WM7 - Jimmy Snuka, Tenryu/Kitao, Demolition, Big Boss Man and they took out the pointless Instant Replay Debate

WM8 - Just Flair's music seemed to be edited

WM9 - No edits

WM10 - Leilani Kai and I'm sure they edited the Quebecers theme as well

WM11 - Just the Salt N Pepa performance was cut out

Continuing the list of edits:

WM13 -

WM14 - Taka Michinoku

WM15 - All performance clips from the WrestleMania Rage Party

WM16 - T+A, Hardcore and Crash Holly

WM17 - "My Way" replaced with generic theme

WM18 - nWo, Undertaker, Edge

WM19 - Hulk Hogan, Victoria

WM20 - Dudleyz

WM21 - "Bigtime" and "Behind Those Eyes" replaced with generic themes

It's not WM but on Eddy's DVD, Eddy and Jericho's old WCW themes are changed. I always hate when they do that. Not only do you remember "Hey that's not exactly the way it was" but usually wrestlers will react differently to different theme music. Example: during one part of Jericho's entrance in his song, he would stop walking and look around at the crowd every time. It seems awkward for him to do the same thing with different music.

Why did they change those? They're WCW stock themes, aren't they?

I'd hate to see Jericho's DVD without his classic WCW heel theme music.

WM9 - No edits

They don't edit the worse WM.

Maybe they think everyone will skip over it and no one will watch it.

I certainly don't plan to. At least for the forseable future.

It's not WM but on Eddy's DVD, Eddy and Jericho's old WCW themes are changed. I always hate when they do that. Not only do you remember "Hey that's not exactly the way it was" but usually wrestlers will react differently to different theme music. Example: during one part of Jericho's entrance in his song, he would stop walking and look around at the crowd every time. It seems awkward for him to do the same thing with different music.

Why did they change those? They're WCW stock themes, aren't they?

I'd hate to see Jericho's DVD without his classic WCW heel theme music.

Stock music is often mistaken as being in the public domain, and therefore free of licensing.

Stock music = production music = not produced by a wrestling company.

For example, Jericho's WCW themes were both songs that were licensed from a production company's library.

That's why you can find CD quality MP3's of those songs online - fans bought the same songs through the production companies, ripped the tracks, and posted them online.

I love the collection.

The few edits don't really bother me,

as I'm only 18,

and really dont remember many of the themes.

As for the blurring,

I really dont care much,

as Wrestlemania 14 through 16 I'll probably never watch more than once or twice anyway.

Wrestlemania 17 It'll bug me though, I'll probably just buy that DVD someplace.

I can't wait for the other big four to get their DVD Releases too.

Summerslam,

King of the Ring,

Survivor Series,

Royal Rumble.

I'll be first in line to buy them all.

Edited by natey2k4

I'm sure the contract for Limp Bizkit to perform at WMXIX said that WWE has the right to use this performace on any future video releases, blah blah blah, but their agreement to use the recording of "Rollin'" has expired. What gets me is that for some reason, at WMVIII, they replaced Flair's WWF theme, which they own, with his classic/current theme, which they don't own. And I'm sure WWE doesn't have any copyright issues with that one, since they've used it in video and game releases (my VHS copy of No Mercy 2002 uses it, as well as Day of Reckoning for Gamecube).

In regard to the use of Flair's theme: classical pieces don't need ownership. They have free reign, so to speak. That's why they also can continue to leave in Beethoven's 9th as Triple H's old theme.

Here's something I'm wondering now...

Why does WWE keep editing the nWo theme?

Don't they have the rights to the nWo theme or is that stock music?

It's a production song called "Rockhouse" that both WCW and WWE licensed for a period of time.

Music rights issues (not just for these DVDs but for TV DVDs in general) are one reason why I haven't found the DVDization of TV to be as great as some make it out to be.

Music rights issues (not just for these DVDs but for TV DVDs in general) are one reason why I haven't found the DVDization of TV to be as great as some make it out to be.

As a fellow Beavis and Butthead fan, I agree completely.

After hearing how that DVD set was treated, I never bothered purchasing it. One of the other issues why DVDization has sucked has been the preservations of edits that were supposed to be restored for DVD (something the BnB set was also guilty of).

After hearing horror stories about how some shows have been treated (including some wrestling DVDs, just to keep it on topic), I thoroughly research reviews on new TV DVD releases before purchasing, which is apparently why my DVD collection is primarily cartoons

The worst thing is the lack of Wonder Years on dvd...