TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

I have the Wrestlemania Anthology Collection

The worst thing is the lack of Wonder Years on dvd...

Even if it was on DVD, as a period piece it would get especially screwed on the music rights issues. Just think about some moment on the show where something hits Kevin hard and in the b/g they played "Turn Turn Turn". Now imagine that same moment, except replaced with some generic music instead...

That's what happened with the Happy Days set

The worst thing is the lack of Wonder Years on dvd...

Even if it was on DVD, as a period piece it would get especially screwed on the music rights issues. Just think about some moment on the show where something hits Kevin hard and in the b/g they played "Turn Turn Turn". Now imagine that same moment, except replaced with some generic music instead...

That's what happened with the Happy Days set

Exactly. And it is a huge tragedy for American culture.

I wonder how many DVD sales they've lost by not going all out for the music rights. I know it's probably not many, but think about it this way: With how much that set costs, hardcore fans are most likely to buy it. Hardcore fans are also the people most likely to be the ones turned off by the dubbing.

Had the DVDs not been dubbed and blurred to hell, I probably would've asked for it for Christmas. As it is, no thanks.

I was hoping to get the set for Christmas but no luck. Now I am trying to find a good price for it on ebay or wait for another deepdiscountdvd sale.

I'm still interested in buying it because I obsess and collect all WWE Dvd's. I have the VHS Collection and 15-21 on dvd but I'm interested to see the differences.

I hate that the music gets altered too, for the same reason as the person who mentioned the Jericho thing earlier... certain songs just add to what is going on. The highlight videos used to go to the music, some generic music won't have the same effect. For some people asking about the changes, this article was actually put on the front page of Yahoo news last night and fills in some questions, along with note similar gripes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051226/tv_nm/dvd_dc_1

Had the DVDs not been dubbed and blurred to hell, I probably would've asked for it for Christmas. As it is, no thanks.

Well, I'm pretty sure some stuff on there (the Limp Bizkit catalog, Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust," Aretha Franklin, etc.) could have significantly increased the cost of the boxset.

The entrances are always a cool peice of nastalga, but the main thing is is that you have all of the fucking matches!! A edited theme song here or there....honestly, who gives a shit!

I personally suspect that the Orient Express theme was changed at WMVI and WMVII out of sheer embarassment due to its overt racism. Note that Kitao and Tenryu now get a good generic, face-ish rock song at WMVII instead of the 'Generic Asian Stereotype #3' theme they actuallly entered to.

I'm surprised they haven't changed Austin's disturbed theme. (at least no one mentioned it in the WM edits)

I think that was a case of Disturbed just getting hired to do a song they didn't write themselves (like in the case of Motorhead or Finger Eleven), so rights might not be an issue.

I personally suspect that the Orient Express theme was changed at WMVI and WMVII out of sheer embarassment due to its overt racism. Note that Kitao and Tenryu now get a good generic, face-ish rock song at WMVII instead of the 'Generic Asian Stereotype #3' theme they actuallly entered to.

I know that you're right but, damn it, I still love the Orient Express theme.

Guest Wisdom

Please please please forgive me is this has been answered in another thread, but has any of the commentary been removed from any of the WM shows in this set?

All original commentary is intact on all WrestleManias.

A note: Michael Cole now does the voiceover for the WMXII Iron Man video package (though he didn't work with the company until September '97). I presume their rights to the original VO guy ran out.

All original commentary is intact on all WrestleManias.

A note: Michael Cole now does the voiceover for the WMXII Iron Man video package (though he didn't work with the company until September '97). I presume their rights to the original VO guy ran out.

The orginal was Todd Pettingill.

I'm just guessing that people in WWE thought that the public wouldn't notice.

Unless you mean the opening package.

If it's the one I'm thinking, they still used Todd's voice for the package leading up the match on Michaels' From the Vault DVD.

Edited by dx1997

Guest Tuxedo Mask

Someone will have to call him one Saturday night while he's hosting his 80s Music radio show and ask what it's all about.

Since no one answered the question when it was asked, though technically it has been answered several times over the years, the VHS Collection is uncut right down to including "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" on WM1 while the 1998 version that came with WM14, I believe called "The Legacy", may or may not use cut Coliseum versions of the PPVs.

A minor edit: on WrestleMania X-Seven, they now mute the part where Paul Heyman botches the date of the event ("Sunday, April 1, 2000,...) and leave in the part where they tell him he got it wrong ("Did I say 2000? I'm sorry, I'm excited!")

A minor edit: on WrestleMania X-Seven, they now mute the part where Paul Heyman botches the date of the event ("Sunday, April 1, 2000,...) and leave in the part where they tell him he got it wrong ("Did I say 2000? I'm sorry, I'm excited!")

They did that on my VHS of Mania X-Seven too.

They edited that on the DVD as well when it first came out

Guest RadioBurning

Stock music is often mistaken as being in the public domain, and therefore free of licensing.

Stock music = production music = not produced by a wrestling company.

For example, Jericho's WCW themes were both songs that were licensed from a production company's library.

That's why you can find CD quality MP3's of those songs online - fans bought the same songs through the production companies, ripped the tracks, and posted them online.

I suppose that explains why I've heard the Hollys' theme on what I believe were two completely different commercials.

Someone will have to call him one Saturday night while he's hosting his 80s Music radio show and ask what it's all about.

Since no one answered the question when it was asked, though technically it has been answered several times over the years, the VHS Collection is uncut right down to including "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" on WM1 while the 1998 version that came with WM14, I believe called "The Legacy", may or may not use cut Coliseum versions of the PPVs.

yknow I have the "legacy" set from 98 (the first version with 1-14, as another came out the next year with 1-15) and no themes are edited. even at wm 1(and the liberace song was New york, new york, so yea it probably is edited on the new dvd). I'm totally gonna have to transfer my tapes to dvds. Maybe Ill buy the set if it gets cheaper for the matches.

I also taped live from ppv wms 13,14,15,17,18, and 20, and also have the Coliseum version of wm 10

quick question, on the x-seven original dvd, does it have my way?

Yes it does.

WMX7 was actually the first time I noticed WWE edited shows from PPV to DVD. Actually, I noticed that in 2000 when I was watching Backlash on VHS and swore I remembered a blown spot in the Essa Rios/Eddie match. Anyway, WM17 was the first time I noticed they removed references to their sponsor on PPV. I don't know when they actually started to do that, though.

Besides "And now.... SNICKERS PRESENTS..." being edited from the original, you can no longer see Eddie Guerrero fall off the ring apron. I assume that edit was kept on the new DVD.

Yes it does.

WMX7 was actually the first time I noticed WWE edited shows from PPV to DVD. Actually, I noticed that in 2000 when I was watching Backlash on VHS and swore I remembered a blown spot in the Essa Rios/Eddie match. Anyway, WM17 was the first time I noticed they removed references to their sponsor on PPV. I don't know when they actually started to do that, though.

Besides "And now.... SNICKERS PRESENTS..." being edited from the original, you can no longer see Eddie Guerrero fall off the ring apron. I assume that edit was kept on the new DVD.

ah man that was a funny moment too. i can care less about sponsors as they have been doing that for awhile anyhow.

oh well I would still like to get my hands on an original x-7 disc, to have no blurring issues but whatever.

on wm 20 at the start of victoria-molly they edited out the on screen ad for tix still aviable for raw tom night and the king and jr discussing that. they just are silent for a minute and teh ad doesnt appear on screen

wm 21 3 disc set this year edited the messed up "two count" during trish-christy (christy pinned trish and she was supposed to kick out at 2, but didnt, but the ref stopped counting anyhow), on the dvd, they cut to a reverse angle and make it looked like she kicked out at 2, it's really noticeable and annoying.I have the backlash 2000 video but dont know if they edited Eddys match, as I never saw it live on ppv

in my wm legacy set theres a few edits, like in wm6 they eidted out demolitions interview after their match, and on wm 7, they dont show either demos or kitao/tenryus prematch promos with trebek or whoever it was.

I'm sure the contract for Limp Bizkit to perform at WMXIX said that WWE has the right to use this performace on any future video releases, blah blah blah, but their agreement to use the recording of "Rollin'" has expired. What gets me is that for some reason, at WMVIII, they replaced Flair's WWF theme, which they own, with his classic/current theme, which they don't own. And I'm sure WWE doesn't have any copyright issues with that one, since they've used it in video and game releases (my VHS copy of No Mercy 2002 uses it, as well as Day of Reckoning for Gamecube).

what? they replaced his old (his first wwf run) theme? weird cuz on my dvds of summerslam and unforgiven 02 as well as backlash 04, they replace the one they dont own with that old wwf version.

i havent got the collection as yet, one minute im saying that im definately gonna get it, then wont the next! should i purchase?