TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

The Shield, season 5, official thread

Aw man, I really hate Shane. Now does Vic know that Shane was gonna do this?

That would be a no. I repeat. . . That. Was. FUCKED. Up.

"I'm gonna find out who did this...and we're gonna kill him." - fade out....

Fuck, fuck, fuck......the wait till next season/second half of this season/whatever they're gonna call it is gonna be hell.

Damn. That's all i can say is...damn.

Awesome ending.

God I hope though we're not in for another season of angsty looks from Vic while he repeats "Shane's my brother!" "We're like brothers!" "we're a family" oh what oh what will I do. Hopefully when he finds out, he goes on the hunt immediately.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Soon as Shane said "You want some food?", I knew he was going to kill Lem. I just wasn't expecting the grenade. I figured Shane would shoot him and make it look like some kind of gang hit, but the grenade works too. Lem not dying on explosion is something I'm going to see in my sleep.

Awesome ending.

God I hope though we're not in for another season of angsty looks from Vic while he repeats "Shane's my brother!" "We're like brothers!" "we're a family" oh what oh what will I do. Hopefully when he finds out, he goes on the hunt immediately.

Agreed. That angle has been beaten to death as it is. It's time for Vic to put Shane down for good.

Also couldn't they have let Vic get a nice little shit kicking in on Kavanaugh instead of the rolling around on top of each other? It would have been a better ending.

Noted that none of those finale spoilers were anything close to right. What happened was way better.

I don't think Vic's going to kill Shane when he finally figures it out. He'll turn him in, no matter what Shane's own testimony could do to him, and complete the full-circle arc of his changed perceptions and breaking points since shooting Terry way back when.

I...I can't comprehend this.

I can't believe how hard hit I was by this episode tonight.

I considered Shane to be one of my favorite characters tonight and that scene with Lem....from the moment they hugged, I felt something was off.

In one instant, he turned himself 100% heel better than any moment I've seen in professional wrestling in about a decade.

I FEEL HURT. I FEEL BETRAYED.

Part of me feels absolutely silly for feeling this way about a fucking TV show, but dammit, I've put so much time and emotion into these characters that this simply broke my heart.

I dont think I've ever felt this HURT from watching a show in my life.

That scene will go down in my life as probably the most defining moment of TV that I'll ever watch.

Dames

The best (worst?) part of it all is that Lem would never have done that to Shane, even when he was fucking up and nearly ruined all of their lives. Just watching Lem gasp for air really made me feel sick because I knew at that moment that wasn't what Vic would have wanted if he'd authorized the hit. That was in every respect, just a brutal scene to watch.

After watching the rest of the show, I really think that should have been the last scene because the fight with Kavanaugh was really weak. I wanted to see some punches land or at least one guy nearly kill the other before it got stopped. That supposed climax to this part of the season was really anticlimactic, at least for me.

To be honest with you, naiwf, I'm still in shock to this moment about that scene with Shane and Lem and it sure puts the last 2 seasons in perspective to the point that I really didnt care about the fight between Vic and Kavanaugh.

It was theraputic for Vic for about 10 seconds, but the reality has set in. One of his own has been murdered.

By his best friend.

Dames

Having a scene after Shane and Lem was worth it just for Dutch's line: "Vic...you can't touch him." Heartbreaking.

Shane handling Lem like this just hammers home what has been an overriding theme through the whole show, and especially came into focus last season: Shane just can't be Vic, as much as he tries. Vic is a bad person and a good cop. He's dirty, and he fucks up, but he usually does it right. Shane doesn't know how to do it right. Vic's a bad, bad person, but this is something he would never do--couldn't do anymore. Terrible.

I only started watching this season along with watching the season 1 DVDs. Shane had been one of my favorite characters all along, but tonight was just crazy. Like Dames said, that was THE heel turn.

I definitely agree that the fight at the end was a little weak, but watching Vic just run at Kavanaugh was awesome. I can't wait to see what happens next.

So, we never found out who the father of Danny's baby was. I was expecting to find out since my cable preview said, "Danny confronts the father."

I am so fucking drained by what I just witnessed. I can't believe Lem wasn't immediately killed by the grenade and had to sit there and suffer for a couple seconds. I agree with Dames, in that we just witnessed possibly the greatest heel turn in television history. The only thing that I would have done different was leave the ending scene of the police finding Lem in his car, without sound, and simply have "Hurt" by Johnny Cash playing, since that was what played during all the teasers leading up to this season. It was so hard watching everyone's reactions to this, even seeing the rookie who screamed-out over and over in disbelief was unbearable. I love this show with a passion, and it is without a doubt the best thing to ever happen to television.

So, we never found out who the father of Danny's baby was. I was expecting to find out since my cable preview said, "Danny confronts the father."

I'm pretty sure the hospital scene was telling us it was Vic's without coming straight out and saying it

I assumed it was Vics. Danny said when the baby is old enough, if he asks, she will tell him. Then Vic nodded in agreement and said "yes, when he is old enough". I thought it made it pretty obvious that Vic was the father.

Christ that was terrible. I thought something was going to happen to either Shane or Lem. Shane has turned into season 1 Vic. You could see it happening in the conversation about Terry. Vic was the one who killed Terry and forced Shane to go along with it, but in the conversation they had tonight Vic sounded remorseful while Shane was talking about "protecting the team." God damn that scene was awful with the food then Shane just dropping the grenade in Lem's lap and Lem just acting shocked then blowing up.

Shane really is Vic from season 1. But we never really got to know Terry and Vic has spent the last couple years at least trying to turn over a new leaf, so the impact of him killing Terry was lessened - it was essentially backstory. It seems like Shane has learned all the wrong lessons from Vic.

Ever since I heard the tagline "conscience is a killer" and saw where this season was going I was mentally prepared for Lem to die but still...god damn.

I also have to say the acting there was superb. You could tell from the body language that something was up, Shane was kind of distant and stiff.

This season has been incredible, but I'm not sure I can stand another one like this. I was kind of hoping Lem would commit suicide and then next season would be quieter and more character driven with less "what fucked up situation are we going to get into next" plotting. Not that I mind that sort of thing, I just think I'm overloaded after the last two episodes.

I am not one for hyperbole - these last two episodes have been some of the most amazing stuff I've ever watched on TV. First Kern and then Lem, and not in cheap stupid ways like you would see on a show like Lost. Killing off characters without it seeming contrived is hard to do but they really pulled it off.

Damn. Just damn. Poor Lem. I feel like I did when my dog died.

Edit: Some random thoughts:

It's awful that everyone tried to use Lem as a chip to further their own ends and in the end Lem was the one who paid the price. Isn't that how life normally works out though?

Leena and Dames: Don't take your silly argument to our wonderful Shield thread!

I agree with Dames, in that we just witnessed possibly the greatest heel turn in television history.

It wasn't a heel turn because Shane immeadiately showed emotion that he REALLY didn't want to do it and that he was instantly horrified at what he had done. If they had played it with Shane killing Lem and then calmly walking away with zero emotions, it would have been a major heel turn. But the remorse/guilt Walt Goggins showed with the character's reaction at what he just did brought back the spark that has been missing since the end of season one with Shane.

Asshole Shane is dead; Back Batshit Crazy Shane, Welcome Back.

Season Six can't get here sooner........

Yeah I agree. I'm not angry at Shane. He's just mentally unbalanced. I feel sorry for him. He's crazy in the most dangerous way - just off enough to be wild and dangerous but not off enough for people to immediately say "woah, that guy is a nutjob!"

Shane did what he thought he had to do, not only for himself but to help out Ronnie and Vic, the same way Vic took out Terry for them. He probably sees it as stepping up to the plate.

The worst part is he did it for everyone and they are going to be insane with rage when they find out. He's just a stupid kid that tries to imitate daddy and keeps fucking up.

one thing i don get is how they found him so quick? Did they find him at the place where shane killed him? Wasnt that some auto shop or something, i vaguelly remember shane telling Lem to follow him there. if they can track that location to the strike team its an obvious tie.

I really hope Dutch isn't duped out somehow. I want his ace detective skills to break it wide open.

Also, the Kavanaugh story felt really oddly unfulfilled, like they needed one last scene with him as a sort of epilogue. I'm assuming Forest isn't coming back, but I hope he does.