TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

MTV is starting a wrestling promotion

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=15720&p=1

MTV TO FILM PILOT FOR NEW WRESTLING PROMOTION NEXT MONTH

by Mike Johnson @ 1:35:00 PM on 1/20/2006

MTV will be producing and filming a pilot episode of a new wrestling promotion in conjunction with California's Big Vision Entertainment (who have distributed a number of wrestling DVDs nationally, including the Hardcore Homecoming events) in Los Angeles, California next month.

A complete press release with details of the project is expected to be released later today. There is no word on what talent will be involved with the pilot taping, but the venue is expected to be intimate, holding just a few hundred fans.

I wonder if this is the project Tod Gordon said he was working on.

It's interesting to note that HardcoreHomecoming.com has been dead for a few days now.

This is MTV. They are going to do the one thing Vince has been trying to do for years - create a wrestling promotion with absolutely no wrestling. If they can create music television with no music, they can do this too.

This actually perks my interest. An entity like MTV would actually cater to their audience and (I'm guessing) give this somewhat of a pop culture edge to it to cement it in the mainstream. If this got off the ground, this could be good.

Hrmmmm...Viacom owns MTV. Viacom owns SpikeTV, yes? So Viacom is now competing with itself by having MTV's new wrestling promotion and TNA under its umbrella.

...this doesn't sound like it will bode well for TNA...

Guest JMA

Maybe this means the wrestlers will have music done by well known artists. Of course, knowing MTV, the music will probably suck ass.

Still, I'll reserve judgment until I hear more about this.

According to something Bill Behrens mentioned off-hand in a post on the NWA Wildside message board (it's still up, even though they're dead), some of the guys participating include New Jack, Delirious, Matt Sydal, Altar Boy Luke, and if it gets off the ground, Jimmy Rave.

This is MTV. They are going to do the one thing Vince has been trying to do for years - create a wrestling promotion with absolutely no wrestling. If they can create music television with no music, they can do this too.

Rando with the zing

Good one

I've been thinking - if they establish storylines with backstage segments that have high production values like other MTV shows such as Laguna Beach, this could seriously attract an audience.

Like if two wrestlers were brawling backstage with multiple camera-angles and such. That would be much cooler than anything WWE or TNA is doing right now.

Guest Nathan

I can see it now.

My Chemical Romance vs. The Used in a first blood "razor on a pole" match. First team to slit every member of their own team's wrists is declared the winner.

Only if Simple Plan is added to make it a Triple Threat, and the finish is New Jack killing everybody.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
What are the odds that the MIZ will be the champion?

Zero? He has a WWE contract, and is wrestling in OVW. He's suppose to be getting called up soon.

When does one film a pilot for a wrestling show?

Dumbest idea ever.

Um, there have actually been quite a few pilots done for wrestling promotions throughout the years, believe it or not.

This might be Maven's best chance to get back in the business assuming MTV remembers that he first became known on their network.

Only for Varg to escape from prison, stab everybody to death, and then get caught and sent back to prison, where he records another new album.

Whatever it takes to get some more Burzum is fine with me.

Zero? He has a WWE contract, and is wrestling in OVW. He's suppose to be getting called up soon.

Why would'nt MIZ be featured on the MTV wrestling show afterall he is on every damn Real World spinoff. I would't mind seeing a diva catfight of Ashley Simpson vs Avil.

Dumbest idea ever.

Didnt that Jimmy Hart/Hulk Hogan promotion do that a few years back? That panned out well...

Guest slamers

Dumbest idea ever.

Didnt that Jimmy Hart/Hulk Hogan promotion do that a few years back? That panned out well...

well, if you were trying to get disney to buy a company you were starting, you'd do it too.

Why would'nt MIZ be featured on the MTV wrestling show afterall he is on every damn Real World spinoff. I would't mind seeing a diva catfight of Ashley Simpson vs Avil.

I guess that whole having a contract with WWE thing doesnt mean anything. If you have a contract with WWE, chances are they won't let you work for another wrestling promotion.

I remember hearing about this a few weeks ago but I assumed it was a reality show of sorts, following young wrestlers around.

Delirious+New Jack is comedy gold anyways.

I wonder if this is the project Tod Gordon said he was working on.

No, it's not. That's Xtreme Fight Club and going to be heardquartered in Philly, and is going to be on a much smaller scale. This promotion is being headed by Kevin Kleinrock's video company.

There's another huge name that's going to be involved in the project, but I don't want to let the cat out of the bag quite yet.