TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Your favorite type of food.

1: Sushi. I would eat this every day if I had the chance. It's fucking delicious, very CLEAN tasting, way too expensive. Sushi is artistry in food, though. Nothing in the world tastes better than toro. THat's a fact.

2: Taqueiria food: Again, ususally fresh ingrediants, well seasoned meat, all of the carbs and fat you can eat. Probably a dumb choice, linked to my many good times in Mexico. Either way, it's fucking good.

3: French Cuisine: RICH as fuck, but they know sauces better than any other. Ever had mussels in beer broth? Delectable. They also do whole roasts better than anyone than the Italians:

4: Italian: Italian food is probably the best in the world, but it's too heavy for me. Nevertheless, great sauces, the king of meats.

5: Good Barbecue: I love hot foods. Good BBQ (I almost typed BBW) combines that with making ok cuts of meat extraordinary. Only good BBQ has actually gotten me high from good, though. (If you eat food that is entirely too hot, your brain floods itself with endorphins, getting you high.)

Guest Vitamin X

My two favorite foods are sushi and pizza, so I guess that would be that. Thai, BBQ type stuff, and typical American food (i.e. hot dogs, chicken nuggets, burgers, fries) are also up there, as is of course GOOD Cuban food (hard to find outside of Miami in the States).

8. Ethiopian

lol, starvation

I really like BBQ/Southern food, Chinese, Mexican, Thai, German, and Swedish. Jewish, too, if we're gonna consider deli sandwiches, bagels with lox, and potato pancakes to be Jewish cuisine. I'm no longer into Polish, because the kind waitress at the White Eagle did not tell me that duck soup is actually duck blood soup. I thought it was chicken soup with duck in lieu of the aforementioned fowl. Italian food does not impress me; I'm not a pasta fan at all.

Also, weird how for everything that the English have done right, they can't get the whole food thing down.

The English do two (very stereotypical) things very well: fish n' chips, and bangers n' mash. You've just gotta stay at the pub food level.

I love homemade italian with a great sauce, lots of meat--sausage, meatballs, pork, brijole, everything. Overall, it's hard to beat a medium rare steak, or great barbecue. I'm also a huge sucker for hibachi. Not so much teppanyaki, just because I get tired of the "I'm gonna toss an egg into my hat!" or "I'm gonna make this onion into a flaming volcano!" shtick pretty quickly.

Guest Brian

So much, I'm not even going to attempt to list, but rather just spout out what I love about it.

Indian/Pakistani - I love me some curries or tikka masala, as well as the kababs. And Na'an is heavenly flatbread. Lamb shank and gravy.

Filipino - Lumpia, bitches. Peanut butter as a base for sauces. Chicken adobo. Pancit.

Chinese - You give me one choice for lunch and I'll take dim sum seven times out of ten. Give me some pork back with that nice creamy bit of fat in between the tender meat and crispy skin.

Thai - I love me my pad thai.

Japanese - Sushi is a wonderful thing. Really great sushi is like fucking three girls at once. Japanese cooking is probably the most beautiful aesthetic thing I've ever seen in my life.

Mexican - The real shit. Not tex-mex, but the "I drank the worm at the bottom of the bottle of tequila" Mexican food.

BBQ - Soem real smoky mesquite, some vinegary based sauce. I've only had Texas-style but I absolutely love me some pork or brisket. Ribs.

French - The king. These guys know how to cook with wine. And the deserts.

Italian - Simple food. Simple preparation. Mussels and white wine with parsley and garlic. Tomato sauce.

Spanish - Paella.

Argentina - Beef. All about the beef.

Filipino. Makes me die a little that I can't cook any of the dishes despite being Filipino myself. Pancit palabok and lumpia is perhaps the greatest meal on earth. And serving up some chocolate meat and balut to the unexpecting is always fun.

Japanese. Pricey, but delicious. Sushi, shrimp tempura, and unagi don are personal favorites of mine.

Vietnamese. Pho bo tai: Tasty, filling and a pretty good helping for what you pay.

Guest The Satanic Angel

Chinese. Japanese. Rice. Not Mexican rice, though.. or Spanish rice.. Oriental rice.

Chinese. Japanese. Rice. Not Mexican rice, though.. or Spanish rice.. Oriental rice.

Steam white rice and not the cheap ass uncle ben's shit that comes in a nice little box....oh no it has to be thai jasmine rice sold in 20 lbs. bags. And for desert some sticky rice cake made from brown sugar, coconut milk, ginger root.

Filipino. Makes me die a little that I can't cook any of the dishes despite being Filipino myself. Pancit palabok and lumpia is perhaps the greatest meal on earth. And serving up some chocolate meat and balut to the unexpecting is always fun.

Japanese. Pricey, but delicious. Sushi, shrimp tempura, and unagi don are personal favorites of mine.

Vietnamese. Pho bo tai: Tasty, filling and a pretty good helping for what you pay.

Thank God I know what balut is. I will NEVER eat that shit.

I don't feel bad that I cannot cook Filipino despite being Filipino. That's what Mom is for. :asshole2:

Guest Agent of Oblivion

What's Balut?

I had some fucked up shit in Jamaica. Saltfish and Ackee. Bammy. Festival. Calalloo.

Festival and Calalloo are good. Fuck a bunch of Ackee, though.

Kansas City style BBQ. I've had a lot of different kinds, but I always come back to KC BBQ sauce. Also, honey BBQ chicken. Just a plain honey glaze over baked chicken breast is good as well.

What's Balut?

I had some fucked up shit in Jamaica. Saltfish and Ackee. Bammy. Festival. Calalloo.

Festival and Calalloo are good. Fuck a bunch of Ackee, though.

What's Balut you say?

A delicacy of Asia and especially the Philippines, a balut is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors at night. Their high protein content is complimentary to the consumption of beer. The word balut roughly translates to mean "wrapped".

Balut are most often eaten with a pinch of salt, though some balut-eaters prefer chili and vinegar to complement their egg. The eggs are savored for their harmony of textures and flavors; the broth surrounding the embryo is sipped from the egg before the shell is peeled and the yolk and young chick inside can be eaten. All of the contents of the egg are consumed with the exception of a hard white chunk (the bato or "rock") that is found in the bottom of the egg. Balut have recently entered higher cuisine by being served as appetizers in restaurants: cooked adobo style, fried in omelettes or even used as filling in baked pastries.

Balut-making is not native to the Philippines. A similar preparation is known in China as maodan (Chinese: 毛蛋; Hanyu Pinyin: máodàn; literally "hairy egg"), and Chinese traders and migrants are said to have brought the idea of eating fertilized duck eggs to the Philippines. However, the knowledge and craft of balut-making has been localized by the balut-makers (mangbabalut). Today, balut production has not been mechanized in favor of the traditional production by hand. Although balut are produced throughout the Philippines, balut-makers in Pateros are renowned for their careful selection and incubation of the eggs.

Fertilized duck eggs are kept warm in the sun and stored in baskets to retain warmth. After nine days, the eggs are held to a light to reveal the zygote inside. Approximately eight days later the balut are ready to be cooked, sold, and eaten. Vendors sell cooked balut out of buckets of sand, used to retain warmth, and are accompanied by small packets of salt. Uncooked balut are rarely sold in Southeast Asia. In the United States, many Asian markets occasionally carry uncooked balut eggs, though their demand in North America is not very great. The cooking process is identical to that of hard-boiled chicken eggs, but the eggs are enjoyed while still warm.

Duck eggs that are not properly developed after nine to twelve days are sold as penoy, which look, smell and taste similar to a regular hard-boiled egg. These are occasionally beaten and fried, similar to scrambled eggs, and served with a vinegar dip.

The age of the egg before it can be cooked is a matter of colloquial preference. In the Philippines, the perfect balut is 17 days old, at which point it is said to be balut sa puti ("wrapped in white"). The chick inside is not old enough to show its beak, feathers or claws and the bones are undeveloped. The Vietnamese prefer their balut matured from 19 days up to 21 days, when the chick is old enough to be recognizable as a baby duck and has bones that will be firm but tender when cooked.

Guest Brian

You know, it doesn't taste that bad. I actually like it. 1000 year old egg, otherwise, taste like shit.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I have some kind of psychological gap that won't let me eat anything even slightly undercooked, let alone not even fully anatomically developed.

1. Italian

2. Thai

3. Vietnamese

4. Indian

5. American BBQ Memphis-style

6. Sushi

I would probably rank Sushi higher if I ate it more. I really like it but it is just too damn expensive.

I found this awesome Indian lunch Buffet called Bombay Bistro. Recommended to me by a coworker. God Bless the Indian Buffet for making me curious enough to try their chilled rice pudding. I guarantee if not for going there I would have never touched it. Awesome stuff.

Ever been to KT Noodle in Rocklin? Damn good food at very good lunch prices. I usually get an order of shrimp/pork spring rolls with a side of peanut sauce, and the combo rice. Good stuff

Also for vietnamese sandwhiches, Hau Loung(sp)? At about $2.50 a pop it is well worth it. Plus they have excellent pastries as well. There is one in roseville and south sac.

Guest Brian

Dinuguan is pig's blood and meat stew. It's damn good, I used to enhale the stuff as a kid.

How about puto? Leche flan? Suman? Sapin-sapin? Halo-halo?