TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Randy Orton suspended by WWE for 60 days

Guest NWO_Sucks
I'm dying to know what it is exactly that Orton did. Condering how desperate the company is to push him too the top and how seemingly they've done everything to try to get him over.

Everything to get him over?Are you kidding me. They've done the opposite IMO. Lets start with the one month title run which included a botched face turn and an even worse face character. Lets talk about Batista getting pushed ahead of him because Orton's character was ruined. His run on SD wasnt any better. He should have beaten Undertaker at Armagedon but he didnt. Then he gets pinned by Rey at WM22 and again on Smackdown. I can see why he'd be pissed right now.

I'm dying to know what it is exactly that Orton did. Condering how desperate the company is to push him too the top and how seemingly they've done everything to try to get him over.

Everything to get him over?Are you kidding me. They've done the opposite IMO. Lets start with the one month title run which included a botched face turn and an even worse face character. Lets talk about Batista getting pushed ahead of him because Orton's character was ruined. His run on SD wasnt any better. He should have beaten Undertaker at Armagedon but he didnt. Then he gets pinned by Rey at WM22 and again on Smackdown. I can see why he'd be pissed right now.

Granted, the face turn after he won the title was a bad idea. However, he was still pushed into the main event by WWE and stayed there until his loss to Triple H at the Royal Rumble. After that he was put into a high profile feud with the Undertaker. Then, despite coming out on the losing end of that he was pushed into the Smackdown main even for Wrestlemania 22 where he was supposed to originally win the title. It seems to me that WWE have done everything to get him over. I don't see why Orton should be pissed at all, he's the one who fucked up his chances.

Eh, seeing Orton job constantly will eventually get old though. At this point I don't really know what they can do with Orton. If he comes back at all, he needs a humbling depush for a good long while.

As far as Orton being pissed....what makes him so special that he can act like a douche because he doesn't win every main event? Guys like RVD, Kane, Booker T. were all fucked over worse than Orton. Hell I'd say Jericho and Christian were screwed worse than Randall as well.

If WWE wants to make me smile, they'll book Orton vs Dalip Singh one of these days. Hilarity ensues.

Edit: Shortly after typing this I realized both are heels, and this probably wouldn't be such a good idea. It's early, sue me.

Guest Heel Heat
One great thing that could arise from an Orton depush would be the rise of Ken Kennedy, Lashley, Finlay and Burchill(I hope)...with Mr. Kennedy getting the most of the push....these are the future of the SD! brand...

Ill give you Kennedy but for Burchill its going to be damn near impossible for him to bounce back from such a lame gimmick, Finlay is a never was as far as the main event goes, given his constant midcard status for the past 10 or so years, hes to old and been down there to long to convincingly push into the top spot now, and Lashley is a one trick/one run pony. I think the newer class are going to have a much larger impact in the next few years, if the drop the Spirit squad gimmick fast enough, a couple of those guys could make some noise, and with the signing of guys like Harry Smith, the torch has got to passed to a younger generation, including some guys in the current roster like Mercury and Nitro, its a smarter investment for the WWE. If the WWE is also smart enough to cut a great deal and really push them, i see guys like Alex Shelley and Samoa Joe in the WWE main event picture in the years to come.

Have to disagree on a couple of points there.

Burchill can easily overcome this gimmick. In fact, I prefer him having this gimmick to just being Regal's lackey. At least he can try and show a bit of personality in this role and get noticed by the fans.

Finlay could be pushed into an higher role on the card. He's been away long enough to be fresh in the eyes of the casual fan, and he has that very important thing - credibility.

Let's keep in mind that we don't know how much of that has to do with Randy Orton's behavior. Numerous sources have stated that he got pulled from the WM21 main event spot with HHH because of his behavior, so who's to say that some of that other stuff isn't because of the same reason? It looks to me like he's been given shot after shot after shot, and he has quite possibly been fucking it up himself over and over and over again.

He's had these problems for a while now. Don't forget that Randy Ortons was Absent Without Leave (AWOL) on 2 occasions from the U.S. marines once for 82 days making him a deserter and he received a dishonorable discharge. (OWW)

Just like I posted even before this "Randy Orton suspended" news broke, that it would do a hell of a lot for RO if he was ever able to go to somewhere like TNA, etc... so that he can flesh out who he is as a character and a worker. There are too many limits in WWE, especially for workers who are just starting out.

the WWE only seriously pushes homegrown boys as champs (at least as anythingmore than transitional champs), what good would going to TNA do for him in the long run?

Burchill can easily overcome this gimmick. In fact, I prefer him having this gimmick to just being Regal's lackey. At least he can try and show a bit of personality in this role and get noticed by the fans.

Not to take this too far off subject, but the fact that they gave Birchill the pirate gimmick shows how seriously they're taking him or how much they expect him to be a future superstar.

Orton in TNA is stupid, since he would be the same blah character over there. They just got a big name WWE guy jumped ship and put the NWA title on him. Orton wouldn't be the top heel since Jarrett has that under a stranglehold, and TNA's matches are no longer than WWE matches really, with half the TV time.

Orton wouldn't be able to develop at all. A run in New Japan might help, but since as it was stated earlier in the thread Orton doesn't seem to want to take any sort of chances in the ring, wrestling King's Road style wouldn't go in his favor. All Japan might work though... maybe.

Have there been any reasonable postulations as to what act could be so unmentionably heinous that the E is hush-hush about it?

Guest Heel Heat
They actually thought the pirate gimmick would make him into a British superhero a la the Bulldog.

I dont get it? I liken the gimmick to a Repo Man or Doink The Clown more than The British Bulldog. A Pirate? You cant really think that the WWE is taking this guy seriously by giving him this gimmick? Although i think we will eventually be in a big angle in a ppv, i say the gimmick battle royal in WM 30.

the WWE only seriously pushes homegrown boys as champs (at least as anythingmore than transitional champs), what good would going to TNA do for him in the long run?

Does this really need explained to you?

Randy Orton, much like other new guys in WWE, has never really worked anywhere else for the most part. They've never been to a group where they had more freedom, in terms of both character as well as the in ring work. Any number of former big time players, some that are even still current, had this chance back in the day even if it was just by working in WCW, or wherever else, if even for a short while. Steve Austin pretty much had his style down before he entered a WWE ring, and his mic skills (WCW) and Stone Cold character (a little bit in WCW near the end, a lot in ECW) had already been set in place. Mick Foley had made a career before he ever went to WWE, working in all around the world, WCW, and ECW. Even Hulk Hogan was big time before joining up with Vince. He had a shot in WWE before AWA, but it was only when he was in AWA that he became huge - WWE just took what was there and expanded it a lot more than AWA ever could have.

The only big time name that really stands out off the top of my head is The Rock, but even he worked USAW and other groups before going to WWE, and I'm sure he learned a thing or two by working with Jerry "the King" Lawler. Then don't forget that Rocky has the pure natural talents that RO only dreams about having.

Let's say that Samoa Joe went to WWE before anywhere else really. Do you really think that he'd be the same type of worker right now? If he ever goes to WWE, a lot of the reason will be because of what he has showed that he can do. Sure we'd get a watered down version of him, but he'd be much more far along having worked in ROH and TNA than he would if he joined WWE straight up.

Working TNA, or even Japan, would allow RO to become a better worker, and it would give him a chance to be himself on the stick. After doing that work, I'm sure WWE would take another look at him and bring him in, with him having learned a great deal. Then don't forget about his attitude problem. He wont last too long on the road in Japan, or working in TNA, if he pulls the same shit in those places as he has done in WWE.

Back to his attitude and other problems though. Let's not forget that this goof went AWOL as well, so this isn't anything new at all.

They actually thought the pirate gimmick would make him into a British superhero a la the Bulldog.

I think this proves the writing team don't know what will make people stars. I mean, why would making a British wrestler a pirate make him a superhero? Do they think we have "pirate fever" over here in the UK with kids running up down streets wearing eye patches and waving plastic swords?

Guest jaderock

Hmmm...my best guess is they'll push Orton to the stars as soon as he returns. You know, do something wrong and get a bigger push upon returning!

Hmmm...my best guess is they'll push Orton to the stars as soon as he returns. You know, do something wrong and get a bigger push upon returning!

Maybe, but he's making some powerful enemies in guys like Undertaker, Kurt Angle & JBL.

Maybe, but he's making some powerful enemies in guys like Undertaker, Kurt Angle & JBL.

...Chris Benoit, TRIPLE H, etc.

Does this really need explained to you?

Randy Orton, much like other new guys in WWE, has never really worked anywhere else for the most part. They've never been to a group where they had more freedom, in terms of both character as well as the in ring work. Any number of former big time players, some that are even still current, had this chance back in the day even if it was just by working in WCW, or wherever else, if even for a short while. Steve Austin pretty much had his style down before he entered a WWE ring, and his mic skills (WCW) and Stone Cold character (a little bit in WCW near the end, a lot in ECW) had already been set in place. Mick Foley had made a career before he ever went to WWE, working in all around the world, WCW, and ECW. Even Hulk Hogan was big time before joining up with Vince. He had a shot in WWE before AWA, but it was only when he was in AWA that he became huge - WWE just took what was there and expanded it a lot more than AWA ever could have.

The only big time name that really stands out off the top of my head is The Rock, but even he worked USAW and other groups before going to WWE, and I'm sure he learned a thing or two by working with Jerry "the King" Lawler. Then don't forget that Rocky has the pure natural talents that RO only dreams about having.

Let's say that Samoa Joe went to WWE before anywhere else really. Do you really think that he'd be the same type of worker right now? If he ever goes to WWE, a lot of the reason will be because of what he has showed that he can do. Sure we'd get a watered down version of him, but he'd be much more far along having worked in ROH and TNA than he would if he joined WWE straight up.

Working TNA, or even Japan, would allow RO to become a better worker, and it would give him a chance to be himself on the stick. After doing that work, I'm sure WWE would take another look at him and bring him in, with him having learned a great deal. Then don't forget about his attitude problem. He wont last too long on the road in Japan, or working in TNA, if he pulls the same shit in those places as he has done in WWE.

Back to his attitude and other problems though. Let's not forget that this goof went AWOL as well, so this isn't anything new at all.

what successful examples are you basing this off of? By that I mean Wrestler A is pushed to the moon, push fails miserably, goes to another promotion for a few years and becomes super awesome over, comes back to the WWE and this time around the push succeeds? I'm not being condesending, that's a serious question. All I can really think of is Sid, perhaps.

There are a few examples that might be arguable, like Goldust, Davey Boy Smith, Jarrett, and a few others (Sid is the best one), but nobody who's a perfect case of what you're describing.

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

Sure there is.....Curt Hennig, Greg Valentine, even Rick Martel to an extent.

All worked for WWF early in their careers and came back to become bigger stars than before.

Although Hennig was more of an enhancement wrestler when he was in the WWF in 1982/83.

That's not even the point. The point is that by working in other wrestling groups before WWE, especially these days, allows one to become a much better performer, in terms of both character and ring work. With the way WWE is these days, and for years and years when it really comes down to it, it's just not a good way to start a wrestling career if you really want to reach your true potential.

I'm not even saying that RO, or whoever, needs to go off and become some huge start first. It's not about going somewhere to become super over or anything like that. It's all about being able to have the freedom to be able to really grow, and you can't do that when you just start out in WWE.

I really feel that if RO was given the chance, in a different wrestling company, that he'd be able to really become a solid overall worker and entertainer.

Guest wildpegasus
That's not even the point. The point is that by working in other wrestling groups before WWE, especially these days, allows one to become a much better performer, in terms of both character and ring work. With the way WWE is these days, and for years and years when it really comes down to it, it's just not a good way to start a wrestling career if you really want to reach your true potential.

I'm not even saying that RO, or whoever, needs to go off and become some huge start first. It's not about going somewhere to become super over or anything like that. It's all about being able to have the freedom to be able to really grow, and you can't do that when you just start out in WWE.

I really feel that if RO was given the chance, in a different wrestling company, that he'd be able to really become a solid overall worker and entertainer.

It'd be interesting to see how RO would work in a different company. A lot of people in my opinion would suffer once they go outside of the WWE formula if that's all their used to. The WWE formula is a pretty good wrestling base and it has become really underrated because of everyone talking about the freedom restrictions in it. There are a lot of people that could benifit from working the WWE style and there are a lot of wrestlers in the WWE who in my opinion would suffer some once taken out of that match structure enviornment.

This is an awful, awful thread.

Which I just made worse with this post. But it's not like anything was lost.

I'd say it deserves the soup treatment, but I think it has grown too large and powerful in its dumbassery... the soup treatment could barely dent it. Perhaps if the soup treatment were combined with the sandwhich approach, cheese and crackers tactic, and the toast and jam attack, it could be taken down.