TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Randy Orton suspended by WWE for 60 days

I've said it before, but Orton is the definition of a guy who would have gotten released 10 years ago (might have even wanted his release). The way he got buried in early 2005 was similar to Kevin Nash in early 1996, but the thing is Nash was leaving for WCW.

For all of the Orton talk, he really only had a brief period where he was ever even slightly over. And that was with Foley killing himself to get Orton over and Benoit jobbing clean to him. People talk about HHH and UT burying Orton, but what exactly was the alternative in either case? Orton's initial title reign was lousy, his face turn ill conceived, so they jobbed him to HHH. I don't see how Orton's title reign would have worked in any case, unless HHH had agreed to turn face himself and let Orton lead Evolution (as if that would happen).

Orton though? At this point he just needs to be released. There's nowhere you can really go with the guy. He has now jobbed twice to Rey in clean fashion, jobbed to UT a bunch of times, he'll likely get waxed by Angle next week. Hell, Benoit even beat his ass a few times around the Rumble.

Also, since his return around SS time last year Orton has gotten much worse in the ring. It's almost like he's too afraid of getting hurt again, so he just does nothing but boring headlock spots for 10 mins.

Let's say they reinsert him into the main event once he returns from the suspension. Why? There's no interest in it. He's been jobbed out too much.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. The ironic thing is if Vince hadn't been so adamant about removing Brock's name from the fictional record book as the "Youngest Heavyweight/World Champ EVAH~" Orton might have had time to develop properly. At the very least they wouldn't have hotshotted the title onto him only to completely kill him a month later. Granted, they will never cut him, but it's become increasingly clear that he has no value in terms of moving merch, lifting buyrates/TV ratings, making matches more memorable or exciting. He's just a homegrown project that the WWE machine destroyed and can't or won't accept that the experiment failed. He'll get another 2 or 3 lackluster title runs and continue to stink up the upper card for at least another few years.

The WWE is going to be in a HORRID place once the few legit guys they have move on. Who exactly is going to make them any money when guys like Cena, Orton, Carlito, Masters, Lashley et al are expected to be the headliners?

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. The ironic thing is if Vince hadn't been so adamant about removing Brock's name from the fictional record book as the "Youngest Heavyweight/World Champ EVAH~" Orton might have had time to develop properly. At the very least they wouldn't have hotshotted the title onto him only to completely kill him a month later. Granted, they will never cut him, but it's become increasingly clear that he has no value in terms of moving merch, lifting buyrates/TV ratings, making matches more memorable or exciting. He's just a homegrown project that the WWE machine destroyed and can't or won't accept that the experiment failed. He'll get another 2 or 3 lackluster title runs and continue to stink up the upper card for at least another few years.

The WWE is going to be in a HORRID place once the few legit guys they have move on. Who exactly is going to make them any money when guys like Cena, Orton, Carlito, Masters, Lashley et al are expected to be the headliners?

DING DING DING.

It's the same thing w/ Cena- Vince wants his own, homegrown boys, who have only been with the E/F to succeed on a long term level.

Edge is a homegrown talent. Explain his burial. Oh, right. Unlike Orton, Edge actually poses a threat to you know who...and actually proved that he could get the job done and we know what happened there.

Guest Princess Leena

I'd say Orton is a lot more of a threat to HHH than Edge. WWE has never seriously tried pushing Edge as a true main eventer, for some valid reasons, arguably. One of which we saw to start the show on Monday, we saw why Edge is definitely not in HHH's league.

Unless Orton continues to really fuck with his behavior, WWE is still keeping him as a main player on SD. And eventually, they'll give him the push that Cena is getting now.

The original plan was for at some point Orton & Batista to turn on Flair & HHH, turning Flair & HHH face by default, and formed a new Orton-led Evolution with Orton, Batista, Jindrak, Cade, & Maven.

But did WWE lose confidence on Orton or did HHH just whine about turning face?

Edge is a homegrown talent. Explain his burial. Oh, right. Unlike Orton, Edge actually poses a threat to you know who...and actually proved that he could get the job done and we know what happened there.

The only difference aside from the obvious one you addressed is that Edge wasn't groomed to be a ME talent from the get go. Orton and Cena were, and by God they're gonna get there and stay there, even if it's bad for the company. If Vince did business the way Vince used to do business those two would be curtain jerking, wouldn't be nearly so hated, and wouldn't be in over their heads as they are now. When the business model changed to "we'll push who we want and the fans WILL accept it", instead of the other way around that's when the WWE began its downward spiral. Since Steph and HHH seem to follow that same logic, I don't see things changing unless something tragic takes out all of the WWE braintrust at once. It's sad that's the answers are there but they just choose to plug their fingers in their ears and go "NA NA NA NA NA NA we can't HEAR YOU!".

Edge has somthing Orton lacks, CHARACTER! Orton's promos are boring, and always the same rank. Edge switches up his promo's and gets the reaction he wants. Edge drew more ratings as Champ, then Orton ever will as a ME.

Maybe if Orton stopped using the same promo, he would get over.

I've always looked at Orton as a guy who could help himself out a whole lot if he was able to go somewhere like TNA for a while, then come back. I think he has the makings to be a star, but he is limited in WWE and not allowed to grow and really be himself.

A lot of people are hurt because of this.

Exactly. Edge is younger and better than Triple H in every department. Triple H knows this and as such made such the legs were cut out from under him.

Some of you with your Edge and JBL praise are just hilarious...maybe those of you with the good words on these two have been saying it all along but I remember a time, and not too long ago, where those were the guys that every body hated and used the Oton-esque "being pushed down people's throats" term repeatedly. Of course since nobody listens to the Ultra-Bookers on this board and eventually something happened(Matt Hardy y Eddie Guerro?) where these two got the confidence they needed to become main eventers..and now people love them for it. I haven't seen either of those two go out and put on a Benoit-like match in a long time but their promo's are good and that makes them the best heels in the WWE? This board is fickle and I hope this thread gets bumped some time when Orton has a solid 3 month run of doing things the right way.

I'll say it again...I know it's a scripted job but I doubt that when you are built up as something great and then you get jobbed out to every single main eventer clean over and over again you walk into work smiling and asking for more. And the smart thing to do when he beat Benoit was just let him keep doing what he was doing...everybody is right about him being spoiled and that's where they had him....leave him Evolution for a little while longer to see if people would actually take to him...instead they put him on the fast train to jobber land against HHH and UT.

And as far as criticizing his workrate? Maybe if he came out and did 3 successive german or snap suplexes in a row like everybody else he'd be okay....

The only difference aside from the obvious one you addressed is that Edge wasn't groomed to be a ME talent from the get go. Orton and Cena were, and by God they're gonna get there and stay there, even if it's bad for the company. If Vince did business the way Vince used to do business those two would be curtain jerking, wouldn't be nearly so hated, and wouldn't be in over their heads as they are now. When the business model changed to "we'll push who we want and the fans WILL accept it", instead of the other way around that's when the WWE began its downward spiral. Since Steph and HHH seem to follow that same logic, I don't see things changing unless something tragic takes out all of the WWE braintrust at once. It's sad that's the answers are there but they just choose to plug their fingers in their ears and go "NA NA NA NA NA NA we can't HEAR YOU!".

Exactly.

Edge spent the vast majority of his career as a member of arguably the greatest tag team in the company before being tried as a main eventer. You can argue that somehow JBL pulled it off, but I think there were a lot of other circumstances there.

And Edge is not young. He is not new talent, groomed from the beginning as the future of the company.

Edit:

Exactly. Edge is younger and better than Triple H in every department.

No, he's not. HHH may view Edge as a threat, but that's because he's a different face in the main event picture. Edge is NOT better than HHH in every department- he's just different.

you know, I'm getting sick of people using the old "I can remember when you guys used to hate wrestler A now you love him" bullshit line...guys, that's the nature of the beast when it comes to prowrestling...package and repackage a guy until he either gets over or there's just nothing left to try with him and dump him....Edge and JBL are the perfect examples of this and I think it's bush league going to that card in any arguement involving them or any other guy in the same boat, for that matter. Nobody liked whiney bitch Edge, they like Rated R Superstar Edge...nobody liked JBL when he first was repackaged as JBL, but he made huge quick improvements and now people like them...happens all the time in wrestling, it's happened for years. Get a new arguement.

Edit:

No, he's not. HHH may view Edge as a threat, but that's because he's a different face in the main event picture. Edge is NOT better than HHH in every department- he's just different.

I disagree.

I think Edge is far superior to Triple H. He doesn't have any serious weaknesses. He can wrestle, brawl, cut good promos and drew good ratings as champion. He's a home grown WWE talent that has "paid his dues" and done all this without any kind of real superstar rub. Edge totally outshines Triple in every department.

I've always looked at Orton as a guy who could help himself out a whole lot if he was able to go somewhere like TNA for a while, then come back. I think he has the makings to be a star, but he is limited in WWE and not allowed to grow and really be himself.

A lot of people are hurt because of this.

This also applies to virtually everyone on the WWE roster. Because of the monopoly, guys burn out quicker. When there was competition (I mean real competition, TNA is not a real player yet) guys could jump ship when their contracts ran out and they would appear fresher in a different promotion and present a bunch of fresh matchups. You don't get that now. Basically, only a chosen few (Taker, HHH, HBK) get to stay on top while everyone else who gets a brush with the top (Benoit, Jericho, RVD, Orton, etc) and get knocked back down because the matchup is no longer fresh and those chosen few certainly aren't going anywhere.

Exactly Dangerous A, which is the main thing wrong with the wrestling business today.

Guys like Orton need room to grow, to evolve as workers, and WWE is not the enviroment that most will be able to do that in the way that they really need.

This is the internet era, Vince wants page views and people talking, he just wants people to care one way or another. Orton will get fired when threads like these stop going to 8 pages.

Randy Orton responds to being suspended

Prior to SmackDown this past Tuesday, Randy Orton was told that he was being suspended for 60 days due to unprofessional conduct. WWE.com recently caught up with Orton to get his reaction to his suspension. Here is what he had to say:

“WWE has certain standards of conduct they expect out of all the Superstars on both RAW and SmackDown. Unfortunately, I violated those standards and was not representing WWE the way I should have been. Basically, my conduct was unbecoming of a champion, which is what I will be again when I return.”

Credit: WWE.com

I say tack on another 60 days.

Guest Princess Leena
“WWE has certain standards of conduct they expect out of all the Superstars on both RAW and SmackDown. Unfortunately, I violated those standards and was not representing WWE the way I should have been. Basically, my conduct was unbecoming of a champion, which is what I will be again when I return.”

The truth hurts.

For some reason, I'm interested in the impending Batista/Orton feud.

The Orton/Batista feud should be one match, basically a Batista squash. If Triple H can't put Batista down there's no believable way of having Orton do so. It's probably a sure bet for Summerslam though.

The Orton/Batista feud should be one match, basically a Batista squash. If Triple H can't put Batista down there's no believable way of having Orton do so. It's probably a sure bet for Summerslam though.

If Orton can't beat The Undertaker, after a hundred tries in every gimmick match imaginable without his father's help, we are supposed to believe that he can take out Batista?

Whom, has been displayed as unbeatable until it took 2 monsters to take him out of action.

That's where idiotic booking rears it's ugly head again.

Guest Princess Leena

Hawk saddens me with WWE reality. :(

But, I still hold faith that WWE will choose the young, upstart mid-20's year old supermodel over the 40-year old who's lost his physique, the one thing he had going for him.

Hawk saddens me with WWE reality. :(

But, I still hold faith that WWE will choose the young, upstart mid-20's year old supermodel over the 40-year old who's lost his physique, the one thing he had going for him.

I hold faith they choose neither.

Edit:

I disagree.

He can wrestle, brawl, cut good promos and drew good ratings as champion.

HHH has done all of these things at one time or another, and better I might add, so, tell me again how Edge "outshines HHH in every department."

I mean seriously, I can understand you guys being sick and tired of seeing HHH on top, but latching on to "GRRRRR I'M ANGRY~! Now, I'm sleazy, now I just made a cheesy joke and managed to fumble over a simple sentence 17 different ways" Edge is just pathetic. In the time period before he was champ and that mercifully brief period that he was champion, 50-70% of the board could not stand the guy saying he was just as bad as Cena and here it is a few months later, some boobs have rewritten history and all of a sudden Edge has improved and was a great champion when in reality he is still doing the same circle jerk with Lita and being outclassed by the real main eventers. Put this guy back in a tag team stat and just have him play a goofy blonde guy, because that's really all he can do.

Edge has the same problem that Orton has... when it comes time for that big promo, with someone who's looked at as one of the best promos the WWE currently has... they fuck up and butcher a few sentences. It's fine when they're doing this against someone of their own caliber, but when you get stammering Edge and Orton out there with a Triple H, or a Cena... it looks horrible. Like this past RAW where Edge was fucking up a few lines, and Triple H started to snicker at him... that's not a good thing.

There's only one new face near the Main Event scene that doesn't do this... at least from what I've seen, and that person is Carlito.

you know, I'm getting sick of people using the old "I can remember when you guys used to hate wrestler A now you love him" bullshit line...guys, that's the nature of the beast when it comes to prowrestling...package and repackage a guy until he either gets over or there's just nothing left to try with him and dump him....Edge and JBL are the perfect examples of this and I think it's bush league going to that card in any arguement involving them or any other guy in the same boat, for that matter. Nobody liked whiney bitch Edge, they like Rated R Superstar Edge...nobody liked JBL when he first was repackaged as JBL, but he made huge quick improvements and now people like them...happens all the time in wrestling, it's happened for years. Get a new arguement.

That's exactly my point...that's why I said I hope that someone bumps this thread if and when Orton does something the people actually like...there's all this clamering that he should go, get released, he sucks, who cares about him, blah blah blah...but if Edge or JBL would've gotten released back when people thought the same thing of them then we wouldn't have the Rated R Superstar or the best heel in the business in JBL...Orton is like 26...something is bound to work with him at some point...I just think that it is truely funny that so many people wish ill on somebody's carreer one day and then love him the next...I know that's called improvement and I think that Orton is capable of doing it...what's bush league around here is that so many people are negative on a guy to the point of absurdity then all of the sudden he's a god...but I respect and agree with most of what you said but since this is a discussion I'll stick to my arguement...

Guest Princess Leena

And Randy has already had 2 characters that have worked. Everyone here loved him when he kept announcing his return from injury, and he does play the arrogant heel well. If they stop adding in such stupid shit like insulting dead Eddie, and bringing his dad in, and beating up old men... I think he'd do just fine.