1999 Jazz Malone 37-13, 50 game season

2000 Lakers Oneal 67

2001 Sixers AI 58

2002 Spurs Duncan 58

2003 Spurs Duncan 60

2004 Wolves KG 58

2005 Suns Nash 62

2006 Suns Nash 54

Sorry Buddy but MVP's dont come from medicore teams that barely make the playoffs and finish 4 games above 500. Nawf you want to give the mvp award to Gilbert Arenas and Kobe when there teams won what 44 games? Come on now. The writers who vote on the award clearly give it to players from very good teams. You can make a strong case for Dirk. However you cant be upset that Nash won.

MVP's since 1990

Year Team Player Win Total

1990 Lakers Johnson 63

1991 Bulls Jordan 61

1992 Bulls Jordan 67

1993 Suns Barkley 62

1994 Rockets Olajuwon 58

1995 Spurs Robinson 64

1996 Bulls Jordan 72

1997 Jazz Malone 62

1998 Bulls Jordan 62

1999 Jazz Malone 37-13, 50 game season

2000 Lakers Oneal 67

2001 Sixers AI 58

2002 Spurs Duncan 58

2003 Spurs Duncan 60

2004 Wolves KG 58

2005 Suns Nash 62

2006 Suns Nash 54

Sorry Buddy but MVP's dont come from medicore teams that barely make the playoffs and finish 4 games above 500. Nawf you want to give the mvp award to Gilbert Arenas and Kobe when there teams won what 44 games? Come on now. The writers who vote on the award clearly give it to players from very good teams. You can make a strong case for Dirk. However you cant be upset that Nash won.

So the 2006 MVP has the lowest full win total of anyone since 1990, but that's OK right? Dirk, Billups and Parker all led their teams to 60+ wins, and none of those guys will finish in the top 3 behind Nash, Kobe and LeBron. All you've done is prove that the media are biased towards whatever they want the MVP to mean from one year to the next. I didn't say that Arenas deserved the MVP, I said he deserved some consideration along with guys like Brand and Wade who were the best players on playoff teams who just so happened to end up with gaudy stats. Dirk, Kobe or LeBron were all clearly better choices than Nash. Billups and Parker were equal to Nash. The rest were top 10 votegetters.

Guest NYankees

So the 2006 MVP has the lowest full win total of anyone since 1990, but that's OK right? Dirk, Billups and Parker all led their teams to 60+ wins, and none of those guys will finish in the top 3 behind Nash, Kobe and LeBron. All you've done is prove that the media are biased towards whatever they want the MVP to mean from one year to the next. I didn't say that Arenas deserved the MVP, I said he deserved some consideration along with guys like Brand and Wade who were the best players on playoff teams who just so happened to end up with gaudy stats. Dirk, Kobe or LeBron were all clearly better choices than Nash. Billups and Parker were equal to Nash. The rest were top 10 votegetters.

The media is biased now because they give the MVP to usually the best player from the best team? I wouldn't call a list of Hall of Famers being biased. Looking at that list, pretty much every year they got the right winner for the MVP. If we add the mvp's from the 80's onto the list it includues Moses Malone, Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem and Erving. Every single one of those players came from teams that won the championships and won 50 plus games in the regular season.

Guest NYankees
Just to be a stickler, I think Jordan won the MVP in '88 and his team won less than 50 games.

1988 Bulls went 50 and 32.

I can't argue with it. Of course, why would I of all people.

And I am one to admit that Nash if florishing half because of his play and half because of Mike D'Antoni. But if Nash was the MVP last year with Amare, I don't see how you can say he isn't without him and putting up better numbers.

I can't argue with it. Of course, why would I of all people.

And I am one to admit that Nash if florishing half because of his play and half because of Mike D'Antoni. But if Nash was the MVP last year with Amare, I don't see how you can say he isn't without him and putting up better numbers.

I'd personally give to Bron or Kobe(and I am Canadian), but I really can't argue with this choice.

This offically made Nash a 1st ballot HOFer.

A 50 win season in the East ain't got shit with a 50 win season in the West.

The Difference between Nowtizkti's and Nash's team is that Dirk's team overall has more talent. Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Jason Terry, Erick Dampier, Keith Van Horn, Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse > Marion, Jones, Bell, Diaw, Thomas, Thomas, Barbosa, House. It's not close. 2nd, Dirk played with these guys last year. Nash lost everyone in the starting lineup he played with last year except Steve Nash. And it didn't seem like there was a single chemistry issue. That's the difference.

Seriously, I have probably watched more Suns games than anyone that doesn't have on a uniform, and I have to say that while Nash was given too much credit for Amare's progression, he is completely responsible for Marions offensive numbers. And for people that doubt that, remember that Marion has NEVER played without a allstar caliber pointguard. From Kidd to the UNDERRATED Marbury, to Nash(with a Joe Johnson era in there a while there) he needs people to set him up. He is a great cutter towards the basket and can score once he has the ball, but Nash makes him a good offensive player.

The media is biased now because they give the MVP to usually the best player from the best team? I wouldn't call a list of Hall of Famers being biased. Looking at that list, pretty much every year they got the right winner for the MVP. If we add the mvp's from the 80's onto the list it includues Moses Malone, Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem and Erving. Every single one of those players came from teams that won the championships and won 50 plus games in the regular season.

No, my point is Nash only won 54, LeBron 50 and Kobe 45. They will be 1-2-3 in some combo while Nowitzki is the only Maverick worth shit and won 60. Parker and Billups won't be anywhere near the award despite leading their teams to the highest win totals in the league. A few years ago the media give Duncan the award over Kidd because he won more games despite Kidd resurrecting the Nets and carrying them to the Finals. If Kidd didn't deserve it that year, Nash doesn't this year. Now watch when Phoenix wins 60+ next year Nash will get the credit again and win because his team won more games than any of his rivals. I don't dispute he had a better year this year than last but it's not about the best stats or he wouldn't have won it either time. When they can come up with a criteria that works all of the time, I'll be satisfied but when you routinely took the best player on the best team during Jordan's era, and now you just pick the guy who makes his teammates look better even when others win more it seems suspect. Again, there is no multiple time or back to back MVP winner in any league who has stats as poor as Nash. A 1st ballot HOFer with ~9,500 points and 5,000 assists at the age of 32? Gimme a fucking break.

I can't argue for the simple reason that Amare went down and the Suns got better. Like Tim Duncan was back in '03, this is the "safe" pick for MVP. LeBron isn't there just yet. A year, two at the most if he develops a killer instinct. As far as Chauncey, the fact that he has such a great team around him actually hurt his chances to win it.

Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Jason Terry, Erick Dampier, Keith Van Horn, Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse > Marion, Jones, Bell, Diaw, Thomas, Thomas, Barbosa, House.

I'd like an explanation on this one, if you don't mind.

Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Jason Terry, Erick Dampier, Keith Van Horn, Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse > Marion, Jones, Bell, Diaw, Thomas, Thomas, Barbosa, House.

I'd like an explanation on this one, if you don't mind.

He's a Nash nuthugger.

He's no more biased towards Nash than you clearly are against him. My pick was Dirk too, but shit, you're acting like Nash's jilted lover or something.

The Lakers are executing a brilliant gameplan thus far in the series. It remains to be seen if they can keep it up and win some games, but slowing it down is ruining Phoenix' rhythm.

The Suns are playing like a bunch of Vagina McGynsteins out there, save for Steve Nash. Lakers seem to be hot from all over the floor and are making life miserable on the defensive end for the Suns.

I said this last year and I'll say it this year, TNT sucks for having Magic Johnson on during Laker games. It's a serious conflict of interest. If Magic wants to do in studio analysis of other teams games, I'm fine with that. But doing Laker games is over the line if you ask me. I'm sure most people would be up in arms if the Maloof brothers did in studio halftime for Kings games or if Mark Cuban did Mavericks games. It's ridiculous if you ask me.

You know Kobe took some extra satisfaction out of posterizing Nash there, even though it should have been a charge.

Starting here, cause I see some real gems in this thread, this one not nearly as dumb as the rest, in fact, not dumb at all.

He'll give some metaphorical reasoning about how it was his # when he started HS and that he wants to get in touch with his roots, to remember when the game was about fun and doing your best. The real reason is probably just to get even higher merch sales.

Before the game, on the local feed, he was extremely pissed off when reporters kept asking him about it. Kept saying "this is the playoffs, don't ask me about it, I'll tell you when they're over." Also seemed really angry that the league or the media let out that information in the first place. He's focused on winning and that alone.

I honestly think if Kobe and Nash switched places the Suns would have been much worse and the Lakers a little better. We now have two years worth of proof that Nash makes everyone around him much better. They lost 3/5 of their starting team from last year and are still an outside contender for the NBA championship (or at least one of the 5 best teams in the league).

Ok, of course the Suns would be worse, and the Lakers would be worse. The teams are built around those two. The Lakers don't have gunners, Kobe is their gunner. In fact, the Lakers would be picking 10th if they had Nash. Remember, they could have traded Shaq to get Nash. They would have had Kobe as well. Think about it.

Nash won the MVP (and my pick), but to say that Kobe isn't also deserving is asinine.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Kobe is getting catty that the little white guy won the MVP again.

Yes, because defending your teammates is so wrong :rolleyes:. Seriously, Kobe can't step on a crack in the sidewalk without people jumping all over his shit. He is the leader of this team, and takes responsibility for them. That's his job.

I said this last year and I'll say it this year, TNT sucks for having Magic Johnson on during Laker games. It's a serious conflict of interest. If Magic wants to do in studio analysis of other teams games, I'm fine with that. But doing Laker games is over the line if you ask me. I'm sure most people would be up in arms if the Maloof brothers did in studio halftime for Kings games or if Mark Cuban did Mavericks games. It's ridiculous if you ask me.

Agreed.

This series is going to go seven games.

I just think it's funny how Phoenix was going to roll over the Lakers like this was a 1/16 NCAA matchup and the Suns are fortunate to be leaving the desert even.

I think the reason that Kobe's a legitimate candidate for MVP is that his team's gotten so much better throughout the year. They finished the season 11-3, and at this point of the season the Lakers are a better team than the Suns. Kobe is doing what everyone said that he couldn't and he's actually making his teammates better. When you combine that with the increased scoring, Kobe's improved enough this year that you have to count him ahead of Nash even if Nash improved this year too.

Take Nash off of the Suns and take Kobe off the Lakers and the Suns might sweep the series. Their cutters won't get as open, but they'll still have guys that can hit the three, Marion will still score, (he averaged over 19.0 PPG the three years before Nash got there) and their offense will still work. Take Kobe off of the Lakers and the Suns will completely shut down their post players, because Vujacic will be the most consistent perimeter scorer they have. The reason that the Lakers have the ability to beat the Suns in this series is because Kobe > Nash.

On the other hand, if you do want to go with a successful team than you have to take Dirk. The difference between Phoenix and Dallas is worlds greater than the difference between Phoenix and LA, not because of the number of regular season wins, but because Dallas has the ability to win a championship. They look like the most dangerous team in the West right now and Dirk's the only one on that roster that's even a star, let alone a superstar.

The way I see it Dirk and Kobe are pretty much 1 and 1A as far as who deserves the MVP this year, with Nash and LeBron being far behind in third and fourth respectively.

I just think it's funny how Phoenix was going to roll over the Lakers like this was a 1/16 NCAA matchup and the Suns are fortunate to be leaving the desert even.

5 games guys, the Lakers are going to get run out of the building and Kobe's scoring will steal them one. I promise, Eddie House and Barbosa will tear the Lakers apart.

Note that neither of them has done shit.

I would bet my testicles against $100 that the Lakers don't lose in 5. There's just no way. They played badly in Game 1 and almost won in Phoenix with Kobe scoring 22, and then won Game 2 in Phoenix despite Kobe only scoring 29. There's no way in hell that they lose two games in the Forum.

My post was sarcasm, in regards to what was said in the other thread a week ago.

I think all the other Western Conference series are pretty much finished, unless the Kings play really well in Arco. It's possible.