TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 60: Hughes vs Gracie

Considering they'll have to comp tickets to every member of the Gracie family to get a full house, I'll say he was severely overpaid.

I disagree with Gracie being overpaid. The gate will probably be well over 7 million given the ticket prices and a probable attendance of over 10,000, if not 15,000 in the staples centre, buyrates will be well over 300,000 and they will probably get away with making millions in profit, in-part of the strength of having Gracie there. However, that is not the most significant part of Royce being there. I've seen more press coverage for this fight than any other before and the appeal is very simple. And even better, and most importantly, Matt Hughes' value after beating Royce will skyrocket and they will make more money off of Hughes alone in later cards (and whomever in turn beats Hughes - GSP, perhaps) than they would have otherwise.

The Gi can be used for leverage when it comes to applying things like chokes and armbars. I'm sure it goes a bit deeper then that but that's one reason why UFC doesn't allow Gi's.

It's true that you can use the gi as something to grab onto when trying for a choke, but it also makes escape attempts a bit tougher due to... I'm not sure what to call it, a higher friction coefficient is probably the correct scientific term. You can't just slip out because of sweat and/or grease, is what I'm getting at.

Disadvantages. Well, if you're a complete novice with a gi on you could probably get it pulled over your head like a hockey sweater. And I'm pretty sure that someone with the proper knowhow would be able to use the gi against you.

I think that no matter the experience, the gi can be a disadvantage... and an advantage.

From what I know, the Gi provides better grip, some submissions that the opponent may not know (See Yoshida's funkyass phantom Gi Choke on Tank), and it prevents the opponent from easily escaping the guard at any level, due to the contact with the Gi keeping slipping to a minimum.

As a disadvantage, it's just as hard for the person wearing the Gi to escape as it is for the person against the Gi-wearer. The heat inside the Gi also gets very hot, which leads to more exhaustion due to the lack of circulation, which could possibly lead to quicker gassing, if not just making you very very uncomfortable. There's also the constant shifting of the gi to keep it on properly, if one part of the Gi comes off it can be used against the wearer. The afformented pulling over the head comes to mind, or simply just grabbing the loose part of the Gi, pull in, uppercut. Rinse, repeat. See Hackney/Royce, since that was pretty much Hackney's tactic. Worked for awhile too.

It's kind of a win some, lose some situation. For someone used to constantly fighting in one, it's an advantage, but it can also be a severe disadvantage too.

Guest Brian

Diego ain't looking all the dirty anymore. Eh, I still can't wait to see him lose.

Guest Brian

Pure markdom for the Alessio back mount defense.

Fuck the frucking scoring. Fuck.

That Gracie/Hughes preview was AWESOME. Though it didn't really go beyond "Royce Gracie is a legend from the beginning who could catch Matt with a sub/Matt Hughes is a dominant champion who will most likely beat the shit out of Royce Gracie".

Well, from reading the live results, it looked like one of those things happened.

So did old man Gracie get KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT in the 1R like everyone with half a brain surmised?

Hughes Wins and Leaves No Doubts with Stoppage of GracieRelated News

UFC: Gracie's return marks debut

Sport's rising star Hughes to face mixed martial arts legend Gracie

Hughes prepares for Gracie match

It’s On – Hughes and Gracie Ready for Battle Saturday Night

Royce Gracie Pre Fight

By Thomas Gerbasi

LOS ANGELES, May 27 – The party line before the UFC 60 main event between Matt Hughes and Royce Gracie was that the sport of mixed martial arts had passed the Brazilian legend by and that he couldn’t compete with the new breed of mixed martial artist. Yet while Hughes was dominant in a first round stoppage victory before a packed house at STAPLES Center, there is no doubting the toughness of Gracie, who not only made his return to the Octagon for the first time in over ten years, he did it against the premier welterweight in the game.

And you’ve got to respect him for that.

But the night truly belonged to Hughes, who may not have had his UFC welterweight crown on the line, but who fought as if it was his last bout as he dominated from start to finish against the jiu-jitsu ace from Rio De Janeiro.

With father Helio, the founder of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, directly behind him, Gracie made his way into the Octagon for the first time since 1995 to a rousing ovation from the assembled crowd. Conversely – and surprisingly – Hughes’ entrance was met with boos scattered among the cheers. But the crowd wasn’t going to decide this one – the UFC’s first superstar and a modern day one were going to, and there was a thick tension in the air before the opening bell.

Gracie opened the fight with a couple of range-finding kicks. Hughes answered with an overhand left that briefly jarred the Brazilian. Gracie quickly regained his bearings though and kept kicking at Hughes, who drove him into the fence. With 3:45 left in the round, the fight went to the mat, with the crowd erupting as Gracie looked for a submission. Hughes kept his cool though and worked his strikes from the top position, eventually locking up Gracie’s left arm. After some tense moments, Gracie escaped, but soon Hughes got his back and opened up with elbows and strikes. Seconds later, after a series of unanswered blows to the head, referee John McCarthy had no choice but to halt the bout at 4:39 of the frame.

And then the boos turned to cheers for Hughes, and rightfully so.

World-class grappler Dean Lister made his long-awaited UFC debut a successful one as he stopped the run of hard-hitting Alessio Sakara with a first round submission victory.

As expected, Lister took the bout to the ground almost immediately, nullifying Sakara’s striking. ‘The Boogeyman’ immediately grabbed an arm, but after a few dicey moments he was able to get loose. Moments later though, Lister struck again with a triangle choke, and this time there would be no escape for ‘Legionarius’, who tapped out at the 2:20 mark.

Diego Sanchez survived the toughest moments of his UFC career en route to an unpopular three round unanimous decision over Canadian vet John Alessio, who fought a disciplined fight from start to finish but wasn’t rewarded by the ringside judges, who saw it for the ‘Nightmare’ by scores of 30-27, and 29-28 twice.

It was a cat and mouse game in the first round, with neither fighter pushing the action. In the second minute Sanchez attempted some strikes and a couple of takedowns, only to be rebuffed by the veteran Alessio. The takedown defense of ‘The Natural’ continued to be strong throughout the frame, but neither fighter did enough offensively to take a big advantage, save for a solid right hand by Alessio just before the bell.

Alessio continued to turn back Sanchez’ attacks in round two, and the effects of his strikes started to show on the face of the ‘Nightmare’, who was cut over the right eye and who had to be frustrated by his inability to crack Alessio’s armor.

Perhaps sensing that his unbeaten record was about to get marred, Sanchez came out fast in the final frame, pushing the action and getting more urgent with his attacks. With a little over three minutes left, he finally got a hold of Alessio, sinking in his hooks while Alessio stood calmly holding Sanchez’ left arm. Sanchez tried to free his arm with a series of rights to the head, but Alessio kept his grip as the crowd roared. With under 20 seconds left, Sanchez finally freed his arm, but he was unable to sink in a choke, settling instead for a few haymakers until the fight ended.

Maybe Brandon Vera was telling the truth all along. In a highly anticipated heavyweight bout, Vera showed off his submission game in the UFC for the first time, forcing Brazil’s Assuerio Silva to tap out in the first round of a scheduled three.

Vera started fast behind a series of kicks that drew a smile from Silva, who responded in kind with a high leg kick of his own. At the 3:30 mark, Silva complained of a thumb in the eye, bringing the doctor in to check out the Brazilian. Once action resumed, a kick to the midsection by Silva put Vera down to the mat and the unbeaten phenom looked to be facing serious adversity for the first time in his young career. ‘The Truth’ responded in style though, surviving a slam by Silva while locking in a tight guillotine choke that produced a tap out at 2:39 of the opening frame.

Rising middleweight contender Mike Swick once again lived up to his nickname of ‘Quick’ as he submitted perennial contender Joe Riggs in the first round, running his unbeaten streak of first round endings to four.

“I thought Joe was going to come out and bang,” admitted Swick. “I didn’t think I was going to catch him with a submission.”

Surprisingly, the first 1:30 of the bout saw little action as the two strikers looked for the opening that would end the fight. Soon, Swick saw that opening, landing a right leg kick to the head that stunned Riggs. Riggs immediately looked for and got the takedown to try and clear his head, but the alert Swick locked in a guillotine and forced Riggs to tap at the 2:19 mark.

“I don’t talk the talk but I walk the walk,” said Swick, who won his second consecutive bout by what he likes to refer to as the ‘Swickotine.’

In undercard action…

It may be safe to say that Jeremy Horn has Chael Sonnen’s number as the veteran beat Sonnen for the third time in their middleweight bout, forcing a submission in the second round of their three rounder.

Sonnen got a takedown almost immediately, but Horn stayed close enough to keep the Team Quest standout from mounting any serious attack early. Sonnen stayed focused though and was finally able to break through on some strikes. But just when Sonnen appeared to be making some headway, the crafty Horn locked in a guillotine choke that the patient Sonnen eventually broke free from. Still looking for submission attempts, Horn was nonetheless losing points as Sonnen continued to pound away. With less than 30 seconds left in the round, the fighters were stood up, only to have Sonnen take Horn down again and keep him there until round’s end.

The second round began like the first, with a Sonnen takedown. This time though, Horn was able to grab Sonnen’s arm and try for the submission. Sonnen got out of trouble, but Horn quickly transitioned back into the arm bar, and this time Sonnen wasn’t able to escape and he tapped out at 1:17 of the stanza.

Spencer ‘The King’ Fisher continued his march up the lightweight ranks with a second round knockout of Matt Wiman in an entertaining bout that almost saw the late replacement from Florida almost pull off the upset with a first round guillotine choke. In the end though, Fisher’s power and accuracy proved to be the difference.

Fisher got to work immediately with a series of knees on the inside as Wiman worked for a takedown that finally came 1:15 into the bout. Wiman worked effectively on the ground, sinking in a guillotine choke that drained Fisher, who barely escaped. After escaping, Wiman got Fisher’s back, sunk his hooks in and worked for a rear naked choke, but ‘The King’ was able to break loose and get back to his feet. After a jumping knee while in the clinch brought a roar from the crowd, Fisher got Wiman on the mat and looked to pound him out but the bell intervened – not before Wiman went back to his corner with a gash on his forehead from a Fisher elbow.

The fast pace continued in round two, but after the two traded strikes, it was Fisher starting to open up on the ground with both hands. After the two stood, Fisher’s knees and punches started to land with more accuracy, and after stunning Wiman with a right hand, a flying left knee ended matters at 1:43 of the round.

“He started to do the chicken dance and I knew he was hurt,” said Fisher, who rebounded from a close loss to Sam Stout at UFC 58 in March.

Heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga improved to 2-0 in the UFC with a solid effort in stopping fellow Brazilian Fabiano Scherner in the second round.

After some standup by both men, Gonzaga succeeded in taking Scherner to the mat twice. On the second time around, Scherner was able to get the upper hand briefly, only to stand up on the wrong end of a bloody nose. The action fluctuated between the ground and feet for the rest of the round, with Gonzaga the busier of the two in both areas.

The between rounds period was extended as the ringside physician took a close look at Scherner, and within seconds of the beginning of the second round the arena found out why after a left and right by Gonzaga staggered Scherner and he toppled to the floor. After a brief follow up, referee Steve Mazzagatti halted the bout at 24 seconds of the second frame.

In the opener, Melvin ‘The Young Assassin’ Guillard made a successful drop to the 155-pound lightweight class, knocking out UFC debutant Rick Davis with a single right hand at 1:37 of the opening round.

Guillard shot out of his corner on a mission, throwing punches, leg kicks and knees with bad intentions. With 3:40 left in the round, Guillard dropped Davis with a left hand, and though the Californian rose, seconds later he ate a flush right hand to the jaw that sent Davis down to the canvas face-first, prompting an immediate stoppage from referee Mario Yamasaki.

In attendance tonight, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, James Caan, Kazushi Sakuraba, Gary Goodridge, Paris Hilton, Nicholas Cage, David Spade, Everlast, Paul Walker, and Marlon Wayans

It was pretty weird seeing Royce take a beating like that. I still dont know how he didnt tapout due to the mangled arm.

And that flying knee by King Fischer was worth the ppv price alone.

Guest Brian
It was pretty weird seeing Royce take a beating like that. I still dont know how he didnt tapout due to the mangled arm.

And that flying knee by King Fischer was worth the ppv price alone.

All the Gracie's are incredibly hypermobile.

SAKU in the house.

Fun as hell show, far exceeding expectations.

- The Rigss submissions hilarity continues. Swick's gonna heat tings up at 185.

- Vera/Silva was solid with some good exchanges.

- Diego/Allesio was good enough but it sucked that it never got out of "Alessio stuffs takedowns and does nothing with it". The rear mount stuff at the end was whacky. The attempted armbar by Allesio was killer.

- Pooooor Sakara. Goddamn. Cut down to 185 and murder Joe Riggs.

- Hughes ends it painfully and quickly and anybody with an ounce of intelligence saw it ending so. Bring on St. Pierre.

- Fisher/Wiman was a fun fight with an absolute fucking highlight-reel finish. Unfortunately for Spencer a dude named Melvin fought tonight.

- GODDAMN. That defines "Gettin' swung on."

- Scherner/Gonzaga was better then I thought it'd be. Scherner's plodding style doesn't do him any favours. Gonzaga being with Chutebox made him a bit cooler.

Nothing really surprising except for the Diego fight. Everybody was thinking Lister was going to get knocked out but I had faith in him. LOTC is right, bring on Hughes/GSP!

- Fisher/Wiman was a fun fight with an absolute fucking highlight-reel finish. Unfortunately for Spencer a dude named Melvin fought tonight.

Flying knee & clothesline > Andre Roberts Special

Also, despite still having shit defense standing, I hope people will finally shut the fuck up about Gonzaga being boring due to one fight with extraordinary circumstances.

Guest CurryMan

I´m really surprised with this PPV, going in to it I found it lackluster and was thinking that this wasn´t going to be anything. But all the fights that was shown had something.

The undercard fights that was shown after the ME were great and the fights was also good. I was surprised with Dean Lister I have only seen him fight in Pride/Bushido and there he hasn´t really shown anything but his triangle choke was a beauty. Hughes dominated Gracie and we got to see how the traditional BJJ has really evolved and you need the whole package now days.

Overall a great PPV giving it two thumbs up.

I was kinda hoping that Sanchez would lose, unfortunatly Allesio wasn´t aggresive enough but who the judge was to score the fight 30-27 must have been hitting the bottle abit to early.

The thing is, UFC probably wouldn't have done anything with an Alessio win but Diego staying undefeated and HATED (and this is in a highly hispanic market) will pay off for them in the future when they put him up against somebody that actually has a shot at beating him (Karo is the only name that's coming to mind right now).

Karo would beat the fuck out of Diego.....and i'd love ever minute of it!

I loved this PPV. I went to a bar to watch it and I had a table of Gracie fans behind me. As soon as Hughes mounted him they all left.

Gracie has some balls fighting through that armbar though. I guess he will never tap.

My friend had the line of the night though when they introduced Dean. The announcer said his name so fast that he goes "Did they just say his name was delicious?"

And then thoughts of Delicious Dean Lister flew through my head. How did he get a Boogeyman nickname anyway?

How did he get a Boogeyman nickname anyway?

He kept training for fights and his opponents kept dropping out. So people figured that his opponents were scared of him. Thusly, he's the boogeyman.

Did anybody else catch Spencer "The Nature Boy" Fisher doing the Flair strut and letting out a nice "Wooooo". That was entertaining.

I noticed alot of celebrities at the show but the pair that made me do the double take was David Spade sitting next to Paris Hilton.

I think most, if not all of us saw the main event going the way it did, but it kinda blows. I think just about everyone wanted to see Royce come back and atleast be competitive with Hughes. He got owned.

It's going to be interesting to see where Royce goes from here. He said in a post-fight interview that he didn't mind losing to Hughes, but that he'd be back after he was healed up. Seemingly indicating that he wants to fight in the UFC more. The question is, can he turn himself around to compete these days?

Also..Why do so many people HATE Diego? I get that he's cocky, and seemingly not overly bright, but the man tries to CATCH LIGHTNING BOLTS. That's GOLD damnit.