TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Superman Returns Trailer

can't wait for this...but dunno if I'm really liking Spacey's portrayal of Luther, seems a little too over the top, hopefully it's not that way all the way through the movie....I'm probably just spoiled from Rosenbaum's performances on Smallville

Kevin Spacey hamming it up to the 100th power.

It didn't grab me or make me want to see the film. I did like the casting of the other parts and the CGI looks better than some films but it didn't change my mind. Superman stays in the pass aisle.

Guest Smues

Bald Kevin Spacey looks too much like Patrick Stewart, but otherwise this movie looks great.

Bald Kevin Spacey looks too much like Patrick Stewart, but otherwise this movie looks great.

wrongluthor.jpg

WRONG!!!!

Kevin Spacey yelling out wrong is going to become a YTMND fad in the future. You just know it.

Hell, it might even become the next "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Kevin Spacey hamming it up to the 100th power.

Well, to be fair, Gene Hackman wasn't exactly giving what you'd describe as a serious, dignified performance as Luthor either back in the day.

I want to know why Chris Parnell from Saturday Night Live was cast as Jimmy Olsen.

Sam Huntington looks nothing like Chris Parnell.

jimmyolsen.jpg

"Mr. Pibb and Red Vines equals crazy delicious."

This trailer doesn't do much for me. I thought Spacey's Luthor was okay, but the "WRONG!" thing is just so... ugh. I hope that this doesn't hit CAMPCON 5, because if this fails, The Flash movie might not make it to production.

And frankly, that'd make Baby Jesus cry.

Edit: By the By, someone check out that map in the background when he says "BRING IT ON!". Some... interesting geography there.

Edited by Justice

Fucking A!

There were some absolutely epic shots in that trailer. Superman arcing around the earth with the sun in the background, him jumping as a kid, the machine gun bouncing off him, floating with Lois, and the plane stuff. Amazing.

As for Spacey. I love it! I was a bit worried he'd go too Hackman-esque until I saw this trailer. From the (albeit limited) parts it's shown, he has just the perfect mix of darkness and classic evil villian flamboyance. I don't know why but a lot of people seem to have this notion that Lex needs to be this cold dark emotionless buisnessman character. I think the more mad scientist/evil genius version of Lex works alot better. The 'corporate bad guy' Lex that Byrne started during Man of Steel always seemed like a crappy knock off of the Kingpin of Crime to me. The Lex from the Silver Age, Birthright, and the newest comics (althought to be fair, the OYL portrayl of Lex is probasbly a 'pre-reaction' to the movie's portrayl) always sat better with me as a foil for Superman.

Besides it's SUPERMAN, a certain campyness better be there. Trying to make comic characters 'cool' and 'edgy' is what killed the creativity (and almost the industry) in the 90s.

Routh looks absolutely perfect as Clark, and that Superman costume looks amazing in action.

Oh yeah, and I loved the bit of business at the end.

"Look in the sky chief"

"It's a bird"

"It's a plane"

"No, look it's..."

"You wanted to see me?"

Can't fuckin' wait!

The best part about all this for me is that I work near an IMAX theater, so I get to see it there, and for a discounted price.

Dude, I hate you for the fact that you will get to see the film in IMAX. I can't wait to hear the Superman score in Dolby Digtal Surround at the theater opening night. Hopefully my city has a midnight showing on opening night.

Guest El Satanico

I don't understand the complaints about Lex. He seemed perfect to me. Even in the cartoons, Lex has an over the top side. He is a comic book villian, over the topness comes with the territory.

"Look in the sky chief"

"It's a bird"

"It's a plane"

"No, look it's..."

"You wanted to see me?"

I hated that. Just cheesy and embarassing.

I'll still see the film and probably enjoy, I think I was just hoping for something a bit more 21st century then was offered in that trailor.

Edited by Mystery Eskimo

"Look in the sky chief"

"It's a bird"

"It's a plane"

"No, look it's..."

"You wanted to see me?"

I hated that. Just cheesy and embarassing.

I'll still see the film and probably enjoy, I think I was just hoping for something a bit more 21st century then was offered in that trailor.

Man, I thought that was great. Those lines are so closely related to Superman they had to be in there. If they didn't have the lines there would be people bitching about it.

Exactly. That's what Batman is for.

Or what all the dumbasses who almost got thier different versions of Superman 5 made over the last 15 years wanted.

You know, trailers rarely tell you if a movie is any good or not. I've seen plenty of bad movies with kickass trailers, and a few good movies with crappy trailers.

Looks pretty cool, but it seems so small scale. Lets get some real epic-ness going. Superman fighting a giant robot over metropolis or something, something that really makes you go 'holy shit'!

To further my "nice" above: It looks pretty cool to me and this has actually made me warm up to Kevin Spacey (whom I normally cannot stomach on-screen) as Lex Luthor.

To further my "nice" above: It looks pretty cool to me and this has actually made me warm up to Kevin Spacey (whom I normally cannot stomach on-screen) as Lex Luthor.

You're kidding?!?

American Beauty?

The Usual Suspects?

Outbreak??