TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2006: Conference Semifinals

Yes, it is.

I don't think the Lakers will deal Bynum. Not until he has at least a season or two as a starter. Odom is the only other real commodity and the contract is the thing.

I have no idea what Geoff Petrie will have up his sleeve, but he's one of the better general managers out there and a top swindler in terms of getting rid of overpriced guys (see Webber and Stojakovic deals). We'll see what magic he can pull off, if any this off season.

KG may also be headed to the Bay Area since there is interest in a deal with either J-Rich or Baron Davis, along with Troy Murphy or Ike Diogu, and a couple draft picks for KG. I think GS will land either Iverson or Garnett this off season. They have to. Their division is a killer. The Suns will get Amare back and be just as good, if not better. The Lakers should get better. The Kings, if Artest gets a training camp under him, should get better. The Clippers will probrably stay the same. The Pacific will probrably be the most competitive division next season.

Edit: You are right. We can do KG talk now in the blogs.

Edited by Dangerous A

Guest Vitamin X
Dallas over San Antonio in 6.

-This is Dallas at it's most crucial time. This is the best time for them to take a run for the title. LA isn't there, Sacramento is gone and SA is vulerable and Dallas has its best team yet this season. Dirk is a machine. If they don't take the conference this season, I don't think they ever will.

I strongly agree with this, and also the same prediction for Dallas-SA. The Mavs definitely have what it takes to finally come out of the West. Other predictions:

Clippers in 5 to set up getting smashed by Dallas in the WCF, but to give them hope for the future.

Detroit sweeps Cleveland just to punk out and make Miami and NJ fans shit their pants about what they get next round. Maybe King James hits a game winner to eek out one game at home, but Detroit comes back the next game and sodomizes them.

New Jersey over Miami in 7. This should be the best series of the second round, but I have a feeling the Heat will implode and Jesus Christ Wade won't be able to mend fences when Whiny Bitch Gary Payton starts shit with someone. Vince Carter will become a hero in this series, as he did in the regular season against the Heat.

Mitch Kupchak's a terrible GM. The Lakers would have to get really lucky to get KG. Fortunately, the man trading KG is stupid enough to let the Lakers get lucky.

I think you're hating on Kupchak a little too much. He's helped put together a solid young team, drafted very well last year, and they've got a great outlook for the future. I'm sure as hell not questioning acquiring Kwame and Lamar at this point, though everyone was last year. I think it's best for the Lakers not to acquire Kevin Garnett, while it might get them a championship short-term, KG is the kind of guy who needs to be the #1 guy on the team, and they'd give up youth and upside to get him, that's a strategy I strongly dislike (KG turns 30 in two weeks).

Having AI and Kobe in the backcourt for the Lakers would be something else though. That'd instantly turn L.A. into the most potent offense in the league. Like most Laker fans, I'm not too happy with Smush Parker, though I feel he'd fit in better as a bench player and Sasha needs a bit more time on the bench before if/when he can become a starter. I really like the defense Vujacic showed this past season, and especially in the playoffs also. The only issue would be how AI and Kobe would play together... who else would get the ball?

Having AI and Kobe in the backcourt for the Lakers would be something else though. That'd instantly turn L.A. into the most potent offense in the league. Like most Laker fans, I'm not too happy with Smush Parker, though I feel he'd fit in better as a bench player and Sasha needs a bit more time on the bench before if/when he can become a starter. I really like the defense Vujacic showed this past season, and especially in the playoffs also. The only issue would be how AI and Kobe would play together... who else would get the ball?

Who would need to get the ball? He's getting dealt, but King's going to be crucified for it. I've come to realize that Kobe played that way in Game 7 to show Kupchak that, if he wants him to play like a team player and succeed, he needs to get him a team. Selfish, yes. Immature, yes. Wrong, no. Hell, Jackson said the same thing in different terms.

A couple of things about AI and the Lakers...

1) The obvious. I don't think they can co-exist. Maybe at first, but somewhere along the line the need to dominate the ball would get to one of them and then you'd have a star feud the likes of Shaq and Kobe

2) AI might only be 30, but his body is probrably older than that because of the pounding he's taken. I honestly think you will see a slide in his game the next 2-3 years and it will be sudden and drastic.

3) Buss wants less money on payroll, not more. I'm not sure a deal could be made because Iverson's contract is so big.

Thing is, when Kobe and AI want to, they can share the ball and co-exist. Personally, I don't think it can or will happen, but then again I remember people saying Earl Monroe and Walt Frazier couldn't co-exist and they did just fine. (yeah, I went old school cause I couldn't cite another explosive guard tandem that was equivalent)

3) Buss wants less money on payroll, not more. I'm not sure a deal could be made because Iverson's contract is so big.

Under the luxury tax. That's what he says. Yeah, right. If the situation ever arises in which he says he won't get a certain player because of the luxury tax, that's when a lot of people realize that the Lakers won't be able to viably contend as long as he's alive.

Until the next game starts, I'm going to go with the flow.

KG on the Bulls is frightening. He's only in his late 20s/early 30s, and is an established veteran in the league. If that goes down, look the hell out.

The bulls wouldn't be a good fit. They would have to give up Gordon, Deng, Chandler, and probably a couple of draft picks for him. That leaves a starting line up of Hirech, Nocioni and Garrnett with alot of trash besides them. I personally don't think that would get them over any hump.

Getting KG would just cost them too much. They should just give Al Harrington some money and call it a day. If he plays anything like he did for the Hawks last year on the block, he is a perfect fit.

The Lakers just need a real point guard. Phil has got to get over this signing any tall guy and saying play the point.

I think you will see Kareem Rush back, keep nurturing Vujacic to be the starting point out there(seriously, he is a better shooter and defender than Smush...why wasn't he playing again?).

He should really look into starting Walton at the point but he can't defend anyone at that position. Let Kobe Defend the point, walton the two guard, Odem at the Small, Bynum and Brown up front.

I just don't think they need to make that many moves. Add a couple of shooters not named Deven George and call it a day. Plus I would sign Penny Hardaway to the vets minimum just in case he actually has gotten his knee fixed.

If the Nets can distribute their scoring more evenly, the Heat won't make it past 6 games.

The bulls wouldn't be a good fit. They would have to give up Gordon, Deng, Chandler, and probably a couple of draft picks for him. That leaves a starting line up of Hirech, Nocioni and Garrnett with alot of trash besides them. I personally don't think that would get them over any hump.

Getting KG would just cost them too much. They should just give Al Harrington some money and call it a day. If he plays anything like he did for the Hawks last year on the block, he is a perfect fit.

The Lakers just need a real point guard. Phil has got to get over this signing any tall guy and saying play the point.

I think you will see Kareem Rush back, keep nurturing Vujacic to be the starting point out there(seriously, he is a better shooter and defender than Smush...why wasn't he playing again?).

He should really look into starting Walton at the point but he can't defend anyone at that position. Let Kobe Defend the point, walton the two guard, Odem at the Small, Bynum and Brown up front.

I just don't think they need to make that many moves. Add a couple of shooters not named Deven George and call it a day. Plus I would sign Penny Hardaway to the vets minimum just in case he actually has gotten his knee fixed.

Perhaps Smush "got" the triangle before Sasha? That is huge to Phil. Vujacic has better shooting skills, which is what they want out of that position in the triangle.

Walton's ball handling isn't that great. He doesn't need to handle like a traditional PG because of how the Triangle works, but you still need a decent ball handler bringing the ball up the floor and while Kobe can do that, you exert a lot of energy trying to get the ball up the floor that needs to go to Kobe for the 4th quarter. On the flipside, Walton would get killed by most 2 guards because his defense isn't good except his ability to flop/draw a charge.

I still agree they don't need to tinker too much, they just need these young guys to come together.

I should have put 100 on this game. Damn.

I think you will see Kareem Rush back

It's rumored, same thing with Penny. Marcus Banks or Brevin Knight, I swear. If it wasn't for Banks' stupid physical, he would have been here the last two years.

Does anyone think miami can win this?

As long as Shaq has to guard Krstc, and Nenad can stay out of foul trouble, there is such a huge advantage for new jersey on the offensive end. Nenad can keep him away from the paint, or he'll drain mid-range jumpers all day long.

Just a bad matchup for the heat.

Neither team is playing a lick of defense in Suns/Clippers. This is gonna be a fun series.

Also: how huge was signing Tim Thomas for the Suns? What did they have to pay him, a million bucks? He's been tremendous in the post-season, and is pretty much the epitome of a great, cheap, late-season addition.

The Suns have no answer for Elton Brand, but the Clippers seem to be confused on how to defend the Suns. This series will be very interesting, and coaching adjustments will be critical.

The Suns have no answer for Elton Brand, but the Clippers seem to be confused on how to defend the Suns. This series will be very interesting, and coaching adjustments will be critical.

All the Clippers need to do is continue posting up Thomas, Diaw and Marion. If those guys are in foul trouble, the Suns are dead since that represents all of their size, and at least half of their perimeter offense. The Lakers abandoned that approach and constantly let those three get out of foul trouble by going away from the post. I don't think the Clips will make that mistake.

It's rumored, same thing with Penny. Marcus Banks or Brevin Knight, I swear. If it wasn't for Banks' stupid physical, he would have been here the last two years.

For the love of God, no! Anybody but Knight... he may be my favorite non-Kings player.

Not only that, but Knight being on the Lakers would permanently fuck over my fantasy teams...

For the love of God, no! Anybody but Knight... he may be my favorite non-Kings player.

Not only that, but Knight being on the Lakers would permanently fuck over my fantasy teams...

No, he'd just get more assists from passing to Kobe and getting the ball to Kwame the right way. You know it's true. Unless of course, you have a policy against drafting Lakers.

If the Clippers keep playing like this, I'm going to sell my 2 game 3 tickets. I'll be able to fetch good money for them.

The Clippers are doing the exact opposite of what they need to do to win this series. A total lack of defense. There's no way to beat Phoenix when they're headed toward at least 125.

Cassell is hurt, but only a little.

Got sucked into playing Suns basketball, just as I predicted. The Clips fell into the trap midway through the 3rd quarter and the only reason it was close until now was because Elton was hitting the mid-range jumpers. Someone's going to catch on to Phoenix and ass-rape them, but the Clippers look content to let the Suns control the tempo and try to out-score them. That won't get it done.

Most teams have the weapons to beat the Suns, but they either don't have the coaching or discipline.

The Spurs are the only team with both.

I just love to watch the Suns play basketball, provided the circumstance.

Why do the LA teams not continue feeding the fucking post, especially when it works?

No, he'd just get more assists from passing to Kobe and getting the ball to Kwame the right way. You know it's true. Unless of course, you have a policy against drafting Lakers.

I have.

Why do the LA teams not continue feeding the fucking post, especially when it works?

Because the Suns give you open looks from outside. It's hard not to take those shots, but it does play right into the Suns hands.

I have.

I knew it! :P The only Kings I've had on my team in a while were Martin and Kenny Thomas, so I don't have room to talk. I don't think I drafted either.