TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

OAO 6/20 ECW Week 2 Thread

Honestly, I am willing to take a ratings drop if the show is to feature a more authentic "ECW" feel. Lets face it, for the "ECW" brand to be a success and continue in the long run, it is going to HAVE TO BE a success without WWE Main Eventers constantly featured on the show. What this means is you have to take risks to get the rewards. If Making the show more true to ECW means that initially some WWE fans tune out, then that is ok, because lets face it, until the new ECW establishes it's new stars, gets a bunch of it's OWN feuds started and gets the fans emotionally involved, there really isn't a big reason for people other then smart marks to tune in on a weekly basis. Nobody can honestly expect ECW to just skyrocket from the first day. It's not like the original ECW died yesterday, or even a year ago, it has been over five years so a lot of the emotion and nostalgia is gone and it will be up to Heyman and the ECW roster to find a way to bring people back to the product and bring new people to it. This won't be done over night, or even in a month's time. This is literally going to be like building a new promotion from ground up, except the only difference is that ECW will have the funding necessary, unlike the original ECW.

I said it before and I will say it again, the December ECW PPV is going to be the big make it or break it show for ECW(Or if not that, at least it will be the first big indicator in the direction of ECW) because that is going to be where the ECW angles and storylines will climax for the first time. This isn't going to be a ONS PPV featuring Nostalgia and WWE wrestlers.(well actually we don't really know if WWE workers will be excluded) This is going to be the show to determine whether the masses will buy a PPV for Sabu, RVD, Sandman, Kurt Angle, CM Punk, CW Anderson, *shudder* Test, etc etc etc

According to Meltzer there are no plans to stop the cross promotion angle with WWE and ECW. NBC Universal doesn't think the show can draw without RAW involvement and want the company to shoot angles on Monday that build to Tuesday.

Today's Update:

Regarding ECW last night, it's a work in progress. It is not going to be a deal where in a week or two, the primarily Smackdown/Raw TV viewers who attend the shows are familiar with the product and emotionally invested in the characters and storylines. Last night's show was better than the week before, but from a crowd participation standpoint, nowhere near where it needs to be. We all know it would be better for separate tapings. But for now, this is what it is. Six months from now is when you should look back and judge and see what has and hasn't worked. But there is a fact of life that a lot of people don't understand. Copying and being true to ECW, whatever that means, can't work. The guys are older and it's younger players that will make or break this. They need the Raw guys on the show partially to establish the show with stars people are familiar with. Also, NBC Universal wants a show where they shoot angles on Monday to build for Tuesday and mixing of its USA Network and Sci-Fi properties. Purely separate brands with no cross-promotion isn't in the plans.

Also from Meltzer:

--WWE dodged the bullet on Randy Orton. He was hurting at the end of the tag match last night. He checked out okay and will be wrestling Kurt Angle on Sunday. Orton is headed to the U.K. to help promote Vengeance. Edge, who has been hurting since Tommy Dreamer dropped him on his head, but working through it, was scheduled for the promotional tour, but pulled so he could have some healing time before the PPV.

According to Meltzer there are no plans to stop the cross promotion angle with WWE and ECW. NBC Universal doesn't think the show can draw without RAW involvement and want the company to shoot angles on Monday that build to Tuesday.

Today's Update:

Regarding ECW last night, it's a work in progress. It is not going to be a deal where in a week or two, the primarily Smackdown/Raw TV viewers who attend the shows are familiar with the product and emotionally invested in the characters and storylines. Last night's show was better than the week before, but from a crowd participation standpoint, nowhere near where it needs to be. We all know it would be better for separate tapings. But for now, this is what it is. Six months from now is when you should look back and judge and see what has and hasn't worked. But there is a fact of life that a lot of people don't understand. Copying and being true to ECW, whatever that means, can't work. The guys are older and it's younger players that will make or break this. They need the Raw guys on the show partially to establish the show with stars people are familiar with. Also, NBC Universal wants a show where they shoot angles on Monday to build for Tuesday and mixing of its USA Network and Sci-Fi properties. Purely separate brands with no cross-promotion isn't in the plans.

That's so ridiculous. Why do they even care? ECW is blowing everything else on Sci Fi out of the water in terms of ratings.

I think it's clear that things in ECW are changing on an almost-day-to-day basis, so I'd take these reports on WWE/ECW involvement with a grain of salt.

In reference to my prior post about it not being that great of news, I meant that WWE could just easily look at the rating breakdown and go "Well there's why the rating went up, because of Edge/Orton's involvement!" Yes the show was better than last week, but this week was main evented by a Raw vs ECW tag team match. Who do you honestly think Vince, Steph, and whoever else is going to spin the number for? Remember last week it was because Cena was "promoted" for the show.

Any pics of Lita's new hairstyle? I'm intrigued about this supposedly reducing her hotness.

OK, so did everyone on this board just no-sell CM Punk being announced for the 6/24 ECW Arena show?

Its a house show dude, unless your actually going, its really not that big of a deal.

WWE should just take the Original Shotgun Saturday Night format and give it to ECW. Or they should just buy some cheap warehouse that can hold at least a 1000 people and make it the home of ECW.

...Lita with a fringe.

Know what? Call me a sick fuck, but I still would.

Any pics of Lita's new hairstyle? I'm intrigued about this supposedly reducing her hotness.

lita5dc.jpg

lita27ey.jpg

Nice. But I kind of dig her with a pseudo-trash look. Mmmmmm trashy.

lita5dc.jpg

lita27ey.jpg

Not bad. I can't decide if I like it more or less than before.

WWE should just take the Original Shotgun Saturday Night format and give it to ECW. Or they should just buy some cheap warehouse that can hold at least a 1000 people and make it the home of ECW.

What are you talking about? WWE told me the Wachovia Center is the home of ECW!

Question. Does ECW have any plans to add the TV and tag titles to the brand? Guess they'll wait to see how things go and get some more wrestlers before they do.

I haven't heard anything about the TV title, but the tag titles will be on tv soon. The word is Danny Doring and Roadkill might be made the automatic champions since they were the champions when ECW ended but the roster needs to get bigger before more titles are introduced.

Yeah, they need more tag teams for a start.

Fixed